2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

HOGAN IRON LOVERS

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1296880123' post='2952786']
This is a site that lists all of Hogan Irons up until 1999, has pictures and years. Golfhttp://www.solu.net/barry/hogan.htm
[/quote]

Where's the Magnum and Magnum Plus? :D

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Guia, beautiful site!

A few are missing. Magnum as was mentioned...and the hogan sunburst I think from 1955. I mention this one because this is the club I still play that I inherited from my grandfather. Maybe there are others, but the site definitely has listed there the best and most popular ones.

Very nice!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1296880123' post='2952786']
This is a site that lists all of Hogan Irons up until 1999, has pictures and years. Golfhttp://www.solu.net/barry/hogan.htm
[/quote]

The text at the bottom mentions some of the models that were omitted, including the PT4. I have never seen a PT4. I have a set of PT's (Power Thrust), IPT's (Improved Power Thrust), and PTIII's. Has anyone ever seen a PT4? Any photos or even a description?

The graphic at that site was originally a wall poster. I sure wish I had the full sized original.

[quote name='Guia' timestamp='1297061045' post='2957300']
Not familiar with the Magnum and Magnum+. Enlighten me.
[/quote]

Combo sledge hammer / shovel design. Kind of like a Big Bertha made by Ping. Not Hogan's finest. Probably introduced over Hogan's objections (my conjecture).

See [url="http://www.ironfinder.com/Individual-Irons/hogan/"]http://www.ironfinder.com/Individual-Irons/hogan/[/url] for additional photos of different models.

[quote name='drewspin' timestamp='1297132987' post='2959207']
Attached is a single PDF with most of the Hogan iron lineage with the images (copyrights now owned by Callaway) from the former Ben Hogan company site, including iron specs.

[attachment=725446:Hogan Iron History.pdf]
[/quote]

Now that is a labor of love. Congrats and cheers.

[quote name='Staffer' timestamp='1297367552' post='2966315']
Some irons missing in the pdf as well?

The poster was created as part of the project to create the ´99 Apex, when Spalding had just acquired the company. I seem to remember that they were not forged in Ft. Worth, unlike the previous blades (up-to ´94), but I cant confirm that right now.
[/quote]

Correct, the 99 Apex was forged in Japan, by Endo

and a very nice piece about the 99 Apex on here, by the designer himself, Mr Jeff Sheets

http://goo.gl/x6D7p

All the forged irons from 1999 onwards were from Endo Manufacturing, Thailand, with the HQ in Nigata, Japan

[url="http://www.sheetsdesigngroup.com/past.html#BenHogan"]http://www.sheetsdes...t.html#BenHogan[/url]

Endo also did all the super sweet Bridgestone J33 and J36 irons, the original Nike blades, the Mizuno JPX E500 irons, some Titleists and of course the Callaway X-Forged and X-Tours

Titleist Woods with FineOne T3 W6-060-07 shafts flex 9.5/Torque 3.7 cpm 2.6

Adams DHY Pro Hybrids with KBS Tour V 90g steel shafts D2 

Titliest AP2 irons with Recoil Prototype F5 125g graphite shafts D2

Vokey Wedges with Wedge Flex shafts ( stock shafts ) D3 and D4 

Bettinardi MC-9 Putter (Long Neck) with KBS shaft and "Dave Hicks" Pro-Core insert and Kotahi grip

GS stands for Gene Sheely who was Hogans club designer,I do not think there is any difference in the head or design other than the GS to show the admiration Hogan had for Gene who some say making the Hogan Edge was the greatest invention in golf making a forged cavity back iron.It was by far and away the best selling iron Hogan ever had.The Edge is the 3rd best selling iron ever made, Ping Eye 2 is number 1, Callaway Big Bertha #2 and Hogan Edge. #3[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1297543385' post='2971303']
What are the differences between the original Edge iron and the Edge GS?

[/quote]

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1297556742' post='2971726']
GS stands for Gene Sheely who was Hogans club designer,I do not think there is any difference in the head or design other than the GS to show the admiration Hogan had for Gene who some say making the Hogan Edge was the greatest invention in golf making a forged cavity back iron.It was by far and away the best selling iron Hogan ever had.The Edge is the 3rd best selling iron ever made, Ping Eye 2 is number 1, Callaway Big Bertha #2 and Hogan Edge. #3[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1297543385' post='2971303']
What are the differences between the original Edge iron and the Edge GS?

[/quote]
[/quote]

Wow. Thanks for that info. I kinda gathered from Hogan biographies that the Edge was the first cavity back design that Ben Hogan actually gave his thumbs up to. By that time, the bean counters ruled but they still asked him to approve or not approve of a design. I strongly suspect that there were clubs put out prior to the Edge that did not have his thumbs up. But that is just my conjecture as a student of the Hogan mystique (swing-wise and iron-wise).

>Ping Eye 2 is number #1 Callaway Big Bertha #2 Hogan Edge. #3

I still have a set of mid eighties Ping Eye 2, then in 1991 bought some Hogan Edge GS irons ( with Ft Worth on the hosel) when I was working in Miami, played some of my best golf with those irons, and on some great courses too, then in 2002 bought the AEP's (Apex Edge Pro irons) which I still game :-)

needless to say the Endo forged AEP's are not likely to be going anywhere, in fact I have 3 sets, and just love em !

Bettinardi MC-9 Putter (Long Neck) with KBS shaft and "Dave Hicks" Pro-Core insert and Kotahi grip

Wow, as a Hogan fan that is one of the best articles I have ever read about Hogan iron design. Since Mr. Hogan did not say much about wjat he as doing it is always nice to hear it from the inside,thanks for the info.[quote name='pcourtney' timestamp='1297458607' post='2969089']
and a very nice piece about the 99 Apex on here, by the designer himself, Mr Jeff Sheets

[url="http://goo.gl/x6D7p"]http://goo.gl/x6D7p[/url]

All the forged irons from 1999 onwards were from Endo Manufacturing, Thailand, with the HQ in Nigata, Japan

[url="http://www.sheetsdesigngroup.com/past.html#BenHogan"]http://www.sheetsdes...t.html#BenHogan[/url]

Endo also did all the super sweet Bridgestone J33 and J36 irons, the original Nike blades, the Mizuno JPX E500 irons, some Titleists and of course the Callaway X-Forged and X-Tours
[/quote]

[quote name='jak_bot' timestamp='1297727883' post='2977568']
Anybody have info on Hogan Precision irons made by Slazenger? I have a set and the have TT Rocket shafts (Red and Green labels).
[/quote]

you are really lucky :-)

the first set of Precisions came out of the factory Ft Worth in 1954, apparently they were a second iteration because Ben saw the first production run and was most unhappy, so they were scrapped, they were very clean looking and had a lot of input from Mr Hogan

the Slazenger stamp on the sole of the Precisions came to the UK a year or so later, and I prefer them, I own the 2, 4, 6 and 8 irons, but judge for yourself !

both pictures are of 2 irons by the way

[quote name='pcourtney' timestamp='1297797261' post='2979628']
[quote name='jak_bot' timestamp='1297727883' post='2977568']
Anybody have info on Hogan Precision irons made by Slazenger? I have a set and the have TT Rocket shafts (Red and Green labels).
[/quote]

you are really lucky :-)

the first set of Precisions came out of the factory Ft Worth in 1954, apparently they were a second iteration because Ben saw the first production run and was most unhappy, so they were scrapped, they were very clean looking and had a lot of input from Mr Hogan

the Slazenger stamp on the sole of the Precisions came to the UK a year or so later, and I prefer them, judge for yourself !

both pictures are of 2 irons by the way
[/quote]

yup, the pic on the right is what I got. I paid about 38 bucks for them, but the shipping from Scotland was $95. Any clue where they were forged? Were they made in the same factory as all of the other hogan irons?

yes, all the Ben Hogan irons were forged in Fort Worth, TX up until the company was sold to Bill Goodwin in 1992, he moved the operation to Virginia in 1993, sales dived from $60million to $10million per annum when he sold the ailing co to Spalding in 1997

however, we think the 1993 Apex 40th Anniversary (Limited edition of 1500 sets in boxes) were still from stock that was brought from Ft Worth to Virginia in 1993, so technically that set can be considered from Ft Worth forgings

but when the 1995 Edge GCD Midsize and the 1996 GCD Tour Midsize irons hit the market, they were probably made in China somewhere.

then in 1997 Bill Goodwin sold the "Ben Hogan Company" to the Spalding/Top-Flite Group, the sale went thru in Jan 1998, sadly Ben passed away in 1997 aged 84, no doubt he was not best pleased with the crappy GCD irons bearing his name :-(

Mr Goodwin did have some success though with the 94 Apex Channelback design, and in 1997 a very limited edition of 272 sets were made to celebrate the victory Justin Leonard had winning the 1997 Open with a 272 score, no doubt Mr Hogan may have smiled when Justin lifted the trophy that day :-)

Not sure which company in Asia did the Channelback forgings for the 1994 Apex irons, or the 272 Justin Leonard sets, maybe someone on Golfwrx knows !

[quote name='pcourtney' timestamp='1297869541' post='2982274']
yes, all the Ben Hogan irons were forged in Fort Worth, TX up until the company was sold to Bill Goodwin in 1992, he moved the operation to Virginia in 1993, sales dived from $60million to $10million per annum when he sold the ailing co to Spalding in 1997

however, we think the 1993 Apex 40th Anniversary (Limited edition of 1500 sets in boxes) were still from stock that was brought from Ft Worth to Virginia in 1993, so technically that set can be considered from Ft Worth forgings

but when the 1995 Edge GCD Midsize and the 1996 GCD Tour Midsize irons hit the market, they were probably made in China somewhere.

then in 1997 Bill Goodwin sold the "Ben Hogan Company" to the Spalding/Top-Flite Group, the sale went thru in Jan 1998, sadly Ben passed away in 1997 aged 84, no doubt he was not best pleased with the crappy GCD irons bearing his name :-(

Mr Goodwin did have some success though with the 94 Apex Channelback design, and in 1997 a very limited edition of 272 sets were made to celebrate the victory Justin Leonard had winning the 1997 Open with a 272 score, no doubt Mr Hogan may have smiled when Justin lifted the trophy that day :-)

Not sure which company in Asia did the Channelback forgings for the 1994 Apex irons, or the 272 Justin Leonard sets, maybe someone on Golfwrx knows !
[/quote]

Thank you for that wealth of information. A great time-line of the Ben Hogan Company.

The information in James Dodson's book Ben Hogan: an American life has a description of the process by which Gene Sheely, who came to Hogan in 1964 from Kenneth Smith, would build a prototype for testing with Ben, and when they had it right, Sheely would take the masters to the Cornell forge in Chicago. The foundry house would duplicated them, produce test samples brought back for approval by Hogan in Ft. Worth, then the go ahead would be given if they met with Hogan's approval. Thus, the foundry where the Hogan clubs were forged was not in Ft. Worth, but Cornell in Chicago. The grinding, stamping, polishing, chroming, finishing and assembly were done in Ft. Worth.

If I'm not mistaken, Wilson Staff and others also used Cornell.

Cornell is still around today:

http://www.cornellforge.com/

indeed, only Mizuno and Miura actually "produce" forged irons. Everybody else buys theirs in (some don't even do the milling) and have for quite a while now.

I thought Hoffman also provided Hogan with heads ???

By the way Golfcraft made raw forged heads for many companies back in those days (Ping, Titleist, Shakespeare, Ferquest & Johnson just to name a few). A few years later Golfcraft was sold to Achusnet (1968) and made the Titleist irons for while until they closed the plant down.

That left Hoffman as one of the last head forgers in the U.S. (that did quality work).. They did the heads for Hogan, MacGregor, Titleist, Wilson, Spalding etc. for many years, so technically those companies didn't produce forgings either.

Chicago forge was a bit player for some years in there as well (supplied a number of component designers). If you check the number of majors won using Hoffman forgings they would top the charts, nobody else will ever achieve that number which is testament to how many companies they supplied forged heads to over the years :-)

nice Golfcraft information here on golfwrx

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175122-golfcraft-who-has-the-info/

I have a set of Hogan 306-i Precision I saved from going to the thrift store. Does anyone know anything about these irons?

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18