2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

HOGAN IRON LOVERS

[quote name='pcourtney' timestamp='1297885490' post='2983807']
nice Golfcraft information here on golfwrx

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175122-golfcraft-who-has-the-info/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...o-has-the-info/[/url]
[/quote]

Some other very interesting info on Golfcraft is they provided the only persimmon heads for Ping when they first started making woods, then Karsten decided to go to laminate because of the ease at which to make his unique head shape. A friend of mine knows a guy that has a set of Golfcraft Pings that he saw at his garage sale. He did not have the 12.00 on him to buy them, he went home and got the money ,went back to the garage sale and it was closed. He knocked on the door and asked if he still had the woods. He said yes, but I am not selling them now. Someone told him what they were and he held them, Jack still goes to his house every 6 months and ask if he has changed his mind, Jack offered him $400 and he turned him down, They are still there.

Also PIngs first irons were Golfcraft heads reformed by Karsten

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='dufusinseattle' timestamp='1297888285' post='2984086']
I have a set of Hogan 306-i Precision I saved from going to the thrift store. Does anyone know anything about these irons?
[/quote]

I don't. But I do know that they were not on the Hogan poster, nor were they listed in the Hogan iron history at the old Hogan website. I have seen several sets on ebay but they got out of my price range (that is, they attracted a few bidders and I could not get them for dirt cheap).

I also would really like to hear when these were produced, why the lack of documentation on them, what the significance of the model name, etc.

[quote name='honketyhank' timestamp='1297888726' post='2984128']
I have a set of Hogan 306-i Precision I saved from going to the thrift store. Does anyone know anything about these irons?
[/quote]

I don't. But I do know that they were not on the Hogan poster, nor were they listed in the Hogan iron history at the old Hogan website. I have seen several sets on ebay but they got out of my price range (that is, they attracted a few bidders and I could not get them for dirt cheap).

I also would really like to hear when these were produced, why the lack of documentation on them, what the significance of the model name, etc.
[/quote]
They were made from 1962 to 1967, Hogans moderately priced clubs, not top of the line which is why they did not promote them. No leather grips available. I have the brochure form those years, when I get time I will scan the pics from brochure.

[/quote]

came out in 1962 I think, but other than that I have no other info, sorry, well done for saving them, have you hit a few balls with them yet ?

Titleist Woods with FineOne T3 W6-060-07 shafts flex 9.5/Torque 3.7 cpm 2.6

Adams DHY Pro Hybrids with KBS Tour V 90g steel shafts D2 

Titliest AP2 irons with Recoil Prototype F5 125g graphite shafts D2

Vokey Wedges with Wedge Flex shafts ( stock shafts ) D3 and D4 

Bettinardi MC-9 Putter (Long Neck) with KBS shaft and "Dave Hicks" Pro-Core insert and Kotahi grip

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1297888473' post='2984100']
Also PIngs first irons were Golfcraft heads reformed by Karsten
[/quote]

I know, I have the 3 to 8 iron of the original 1961 Pings, boy would I love those Ping Woods to go with them, they must be worth thousands !

Bettinardi MC-9 Putter (Long Neck) with KBS shaft and "Dave Hicks" Pro-Core insert and Kotahi grip

I'll always have a love affair with the old hogans. My favorite is the 86 Apex PC. I played a set in College for 3 years and I don't remember what I did with them. I think I traded them for a set of Nicklaus JNP Cavities in 91. I wish I never parted with them. 2 years ago I picked up this mint set, which are just about identical. My set from the 80s had a slight beveled leading edge. I believe Hogan made that model one year. My new set seems to have a slighly sharper edge, but they are great. Last fall I took them out and ended up playing only 5 holes that evening and the 1st shot was a 5 iron on the 1st hole to about 9 feet. Destiny? Maybe it was a good swing.

[quote name='saltcity' timestamp='1297892843' post='2984397']
I have a couple sets of Hogans and I never see these listed - Apex Decades
My dad played them for years. Still the best looking blades I've ever seen.
[/quote]

They are from 1983. It looks to me like they are basically the classic 1973 Apex with the Decade stamp, presumably meaning a decade anniversary since its introduction. (There was a 1972 Apex, but it was not at all like the 73 - 77 model, which proved to be extremely popular.)

I just got a set of the 1990 Apex BH grinds off ebay for $57 + shipping for my "throwback" bag that I'm putting together. The set has 2-E, plus a 1984 Apex PC 1-iron. At the price I got them for, I wasn't expecting much, but they actually turned out to be in really good shape. They just need new grips, and they'll be good to go. I'm eager to hit them for the first time (especially to see if I can get the 1i off the ground), and I look forward to playing the occasional leisurely round with persimmon and blades.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1297957671' post='2986685']
I just got a set of the 1990 Apex BH grinds off ebay for $57 + shipping for my "throwback" bag that I'm putting together. The set has 2-E, plus a 1984 Apex PC 1-iron. At the price I got them for, I wasn't expecting much, but they actually turned out to be in really good shape. They just need new grips, and they'll be good to go. I'm eager to hit them for the first time (especially to see if I can get the 1i off the ground), and I look forward to playing the occasional leisurely round with persimmon and blades.
[/quote]

I think you will like the BH grinds. Mark my words.

I now use my old Apex Grinds for practise rounds and for fun, they are 20 years old but they are very sentimental to me, some of the best shots I have ever hit in my life have been with those babies :-)

I lost (left behind) the 3 and 4 iron at the practise ground at Woburn, sad day that was :-( I should go on ebay and pick them up I'spose.

[quote name='honketyhank' timestamp='1297985808' post='2987982']
[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1297957671' post='2986685']
[/quote]

I think you will like the BH grinds. Mark my words.
[/quote]

You are correct, sir! I got them out on the range today, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well they performed. I even managed to pure a few with the 1 and 2 irons. That is a beautiful thing to nail one on the sweet spot, barely feel the ball, and watch it just sail out there. It remains to be seen if I'll hit them as well when it's not off a mat, but the first impression is very positive.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

that reminds me, you puring 1 irons

http://www.usgamuseum.com/about_museum/news_events/news_article.aspx?newsid=114

60 years ago - he was the man :-)

[quote name='pcourtney' timestamp='1298754842' post='3011016']
that reminds me, you puring 1 irons

[url="http://www.usgamuseum.com/about_museum/news_events/news_article.aspx?newsid=114"]http://www.usgamuseu...aspx?newsid=114[/url]

60 years ago - he was the man :-)
[/quote]

I wish MacGregor re-issued the 1622´s. I´d buy them, 1-Pw and never play another iron again...

• 2 weeks later...

GS stands for Gene Sheely who was Hogans club designer,I do not think there is any difference in the head or design other than the GS to show the admiration Hogan had for Gene who some say making the Hogan Edge was the greatest invention in golf making a forged cavity back iron.It was by far and away the best selling iron Hogan ever had.The Edge is the 3rd best selling iron ever made, Ping Eye 2 is number 1, Callaway Big Bertha #2 and Hogan Edge. #3

What are the differences between the original Edge iron and the Edge GS?

Sorry to knit pick, but the GS's are a little different. The hosel to face/top line junction is much smoother on the GS, much more notch-like on the non-GS. The story I heard was they put out the Edges (non-GS), and then after I think two years of production Gene Sheely tweaked the hosel to face junction and they got the GS stamp (and slightly different stampings/paintfill) from that point forward. I also vaguely remember that Sheely wanted them to look like the GS version from the beginning, but it took an advance in the forging process they were using to make that smoother face/hosel junction possible--in other words, the notch on the non-GS version was necessitated by the forging process that was available at the time. Remember that back then a forged cavity back was a technical innovation! A few images lifted from the internet:

edge5iron.jpg

edge_forged_gs_large.jpg

Either way, great clubs. I actually keep a few sets around for anytime someone wants to "take up the game." I give them a set of Edges, a few Big Bertha woods, a Sure Out, and an Anser. Works every time!

wonderful - thanks for that jmck

my GS irons also have the nice touch of Ft Worth TX on the hosel, and the memories flood back of the time I had in Florida playing with these irons in the early nineties, I will never sell them, I'm holdling the 7 iron now, Apex 4 shafts, nice forged head design, to be honest I always had blades before then (well there was one season with Ping Eye2's but we won't talk about that diversion) , in fact the summer before I got the GS irons I had just bought a set of Apex Grinds (still have them for practise today)

Then the Apex Edge Pro's came out in 2002, and I thought I must have a set, so I did, and they are just better to my eye than the GS :-)

You're very welcome Pcourtney. I'm pretty sure I got all that right. The late 80s through mid 90s was the height of my golfing career (FWIW!) and I was following equipment in general--and Hogan stuff in particular--pretty closely at the time.

As a side note, IMO the Apex Edge Pro's are the best cavity backs Hogan ever made. Super solid sticks there. I've got a set made up that's Edge Pros 2-5 and '98 Apexes 6-W. That's one I don't think I'll ever sell!

[quote name='jmck' timestamp='1299789765' post='3044339']
As a side note, IMO the Apex Edge Pro's are the best cavity backs Hogan ever made. Super solid sticks there. I've got a set made up that's Edge Pros 2-5 and '98 Apexes 6-W. That's one I don't think I'll ever sell!
[/quote]

indeed, I often use the AEP's in the long irons with Apex blades ( 1999 - Jeff Sheets design - Endo forged ) for the short irons, I think we are pretty much doing the same thing, well the 98 Apex are probably the same as the 99, but this happens more in the summer for me when I am on top of my game !

[url="http://www.sheetsdesigngroup.com/past.html#BenHogan"]http://www.sheetsdes...t.html#BenHogan[/url]

what do you do for the Gap Wedge, the PW ( or E) is 46 deg, and my SW is 56, so I use one of the 99 Endo wedges that Hogan brought at the same time as the 99 Apex, the Special 52 with 8 bounce

• 3 months later...

I have a full set of Precision irons by Slazenger. They were forged in England. They are in mint condition. I've been in contact with many people about these and no one seems to have a clue about the history behind my particular set. The curator at the USGA museum said they were pre-hogan company irons. 1952 or 53. The grips still have the gold Slazenger script on them. The Rocket labels have no scuffs. This set was pulled out of an attic of a house that was to be torn down. They have no rust. The faces are in perfect shape. It is as if they were played with once or twice and put away. A couple of the irons have small nicks on the sole. I did see where the Exploder wedge sold at Christies for $450 in 1994 and it was in terrible shape. Callaway, Slazenger and the PGA had no info. I've checked with many golf historians and nothing so far. I would like to know what they are worth, how rare are these and if any other sets exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='pcourtney' timestamp='1297797261' post='2979628']
[quote name='jak_bot' timestamp='1297727883' post='2977568']
Anybody have info on Hogan Precision irons made by Slazenger? I have a set and the have TT Rocket shafts (Red and Green labels).
[/quote]

you are really lucky :-)

the first set of Precisions came out of the factory Ft Worth in 1954, apparently they were a second iteration because Ben saw the first production run and was most unhappy, so they were scrapped, they were very clean looking and had a lot of input from Mr Hogan

the Slazenger stamp on the sole of the Precisions came to the UK a year or so later, and I prefer them, I own the 2, 4, 6 and 8 irons, but judge for yourself !

both pictures are of 2 irons by the way
[/quote]

I have that poster on my wall in my work office. It does not show all the heads nor are the ones missing all listed at the bottom. Loved Hogan irons. Currenly play AEP which I love. Foolishly sold a NIB of 50th (non-labeled) and 2006 APex +1/2" with the 4 shaft, which I custom ordered. I still have a 2-pw set of 1972 Apex - the first year of the Apex model. Story about those irons - I went to a thrift store and there was a 6i for $1. Picked it up and went to ebay that night. There was as set of 3-pw, minus the 6i. Picked those up. Already had the 2i so now I have a the set. Would sure like to refinish those.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Puddin' timestamp='1308310665' post='3313884']
I have a full set of Precision irons by Slazenger. They were forged in England. They are in mint condition. I've been in contact with many people about these and no one seems to have a clue about the history behind my particular set. The curator at the USGA museum said they were pre-hogan company irons. 1952 or 53. The grips still have the gold Slazenger script on them. The Rocket labels have no scuffs. This set was pulled out of an attic of a house that was to be torn down. They have no rust. The faces are in perfect shape. It is as if they were played with once or twice and put away. A couple of the irons have small nicks on the sole. I did see where the Exploder wedge sold at Christies for $450 in 1994 and it was in terrible shape. Callaway, Slazenger and the PGA had no info. I've checked with many golf historians and nothing so far. I would like to know what they are worth, how rare are these and if any other sets exist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody have info on Hogan Precision irons made by Slazenger? I have a set and the have TT Rocket shafts (Red and Green labels).
[/quote]

the first set of Precisions came out of the factory Ft Worth in 1954, apparently they were a second iteration because Ben saw the first production run and was most unhappy, so they were scrapped, they were very clean looking and had a lot of input from Mr Hogan

the Slazenger stamp on the sole of the Precisions came to the UK a year or so later, and I prefer them, I own the 2, 4, 6 and 8 irons, but judge for yourself !

[/quote]
[/quote]

Puddin-

Any idea how many Hogan irons were contracted out to Slazenger?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1363921517' post='6661847']
[quote name='Puddin' timestamp='1308310665' post='3313884']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Puddin-

Any idea how many Hogan irons were contracted out to Slazenger?
[/quote]
Rex, I have no clue. Being that they were forged in England and not Ft. Worth, I dont think there were many. The molds may have been sold to Hogan then. Still searching for clues.

I too, have a set of the Slazenger Precisions, 2 - Exploder, and believe they are from '55 or '56. Them predating The Ben Hogan Co. is far fetched since he was under contract to MacGregor for clubs, I know he had a deal with Slazenger to endorse their british ball, but that is all I have ever been able to find about him and Slazenger prior to his split from MacGregor. Also, there would be no "molds" as all Hogan clubs were forged until sometime in the early '70's. The Slazenger/Hogan clubs were made in England according to the hosel stamp and out of stainless steel.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about the Slazenger Precisions, but I have Slazenger Hogan PC5s which I believe are stainless steel. The Iron Factory seems to do amazing restoration work with chromed and forged irons - but I don't know what they'd do with unchromed stainless steel. On the other hand, you could probably polish them up very nicely, either yourself or locally.

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1370802058' post='7200294']
I don't know about the Slazenger Precisions, but I have Slazenger Hogan PC5s which I believe are stainless steel. The Iron Factory seems to do amazing restoration work with chromed and forged irons - but I don't know what they'd do with unchromed stainless steel. On the other hand, you could probably polish them up very nicely, either yourself or locally.
[/quote]
What year are the Slazengers? Do you have any historical info on these?

I picked up my Slazengers just a couple of years ago from a thrift shop - but I'm guessing they're from the '60s. Visually, the heads are a very close copy of the PC5 iron that Hogan released in '66, but made in stainless steel rather than chromed carbon steel. I think that Slazenger must have partnered with Hogan to manufacture Hogan club designs for territories outside of the US. Mine were in the UK, but I think Canada and Australia got sold "Slazenger Hogans" up to and including the first Apex model.