2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland in July - possible itinerary

mdannolfo

First trip - where should we go
I've read all the Scotland posts and I appreciate all the great advice.
Researching using two books - Ferguson's Golf in Scotland and Where Golf is Great by Finegan. (drooling over the pictures)

This is our first trip to Scotland. We plan on staying for 8 days on the ground, or 8 days of golfing. We are coming from Boston, so there will be a day of travel each way likely. We may take an overnight flight and make it a 9 day trip. Plan on flying into Edinburgh on a Saturday morning and leaving on the following Sunday morning.

Our golf party. Three golfers, and maybe picking up a 4th. I would like to play multiple rounds some days, and they will probably want to play one round per day and do more sightseeing.

My big questions are...
1) Should we keep moving around or
2) Concentrate on a couple of areas? (We are thinking St. Andrews and Inverness)
3) Is eight days on the ground enough time (small kids at home, don't think I could really go for longer)
4) Is playing the Old Course a must? We are undecided about this. I think it is, but trying to get on via the lottery will make having other plans and tee times difficult? Is it true that other courses in the St. Andrews area are alright with rescheduling or canceling a round there if we get accepted to play the Old Course?

Part of me would love to keep moving around and play all the courses I'd like to play in different areas. I'd prefer to play the Old Course, another St. Andrews course (New, Castle, or Jubilee), Cruden Bay, Royal Dornoch, and North Berwick. Then mix in maybe Moray Old, Brora, or Lundin. Maybe Pitlochry or Boat of Garten or another inland course.

Ok here is what I am thinking of trying to do. Please tell me if we're nuts and this won't work.

1. Saturday AM - arrive. Pick up rental car. Drive to St. Andrews. Get on Old Course List for Monday. Play Jubilee Course or another St. Andrews Course. Explore St. Andrews.
  2. Sunday - Play Crail or Lundin or another St. Andrews Course.
  3. Monday - hopefully play the Old Course. If not, play Crail or Lundin.
  4. Tuesday. Travel up to Pitlochry and play. 1.5 hrs. Continue up to Inverness on highland route - 1.5 hours. Stay in Inverness area. Either Nairn to the East, or smaller town to the West?
  5. Wednesday. Play Royal Dornoch - 1 hr from Inverness.
  6. Thursday. Play Cruden Bay - 2.5 hour drive. Or play Moray Old - 1 hour. Then maybe drive back on Coastal route and stop in Aberdeen area or further south in Carnoustie. Cruden Bay to Carnoustie is 2 hours.
  7. Friday - play Montrose or Carnoustie (if we can get on this late). Drive south to North Berwick - 2 hours.
  8. Saturday - Play North Berwick in the afternoon. Explore Edinburgh in the morning.
  9. Sunday - depart in the AM.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might be able to offer. Also, any must see sightseeing attractions that you enjoyed or heard about would be a very welcomed suggestion as well.

Thanks,

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll start by saying I'm far from a Scotland expert, but I have paid a few of the courses on your list so I'll chime in.

First, North Berwick, Royal Dornoch and especially Cruden Bay are all must play.

Your itinerary has a lot of backtracking, and you do miss the entire west side of Scotland. Okay from a golf perspective, though there are amazing courses (Prestwick, Turnberry, Macrihanish etc). But the Highlands are something to see on their own.

You don't need to drive to St Andrews to get on the lottery, you can do it via phone. And if you don't get selected, they will offer you a discount at one of their other courses. I'd play the new over the castle, Castle is the one course I regret from my trip over there. It's fine, and I'm a huge Kidd fan, but it's tough, sometimes unfair, and most of the locals don't care for it.

I think I was there for 10 days, but it was a wedding trip, not a golf trip, and we managed 8 rounds or so anyway, plus a ton of sight seeing, so you aren't completely nuts, as long as you don't like a lot of downtime on your vacation.

I'd consider exploring Edinburgh when you arrive, since you are there anyway, then making your way counterclockwise around Scotland. You at least have to see the Edinburgh castle and the Royal Mile. You can hit Gulane or another course close to Edinburgh, or make your way to North Berwick and stay/play there (MacDonald Marine is nice). The East links at North Berwick are by no means a must play, but they aren't bad and cheap if you are looking for extra golf.

Then up to St Andrews, spend some time in the town, see if you get on the old, play the new, Lundin, Crail, Levin or whatever. (Haven't played those). You can also hit Carnoustie and a bunch of other courses from there, spend 2 days (or you can stay up closer to Carnoustie and save a ton of money).

Then up towards Aberdeen to Cruden Bay. We stayed in a place called the Castle Hotel that's an hour and a half or so west of Cruden Bay, amazing hotel and gave us time to do some Whisky tasting on the way to Inverness.

I'd consider adding Castle Stuart, just outside Inverness. I haven't played it, but I've heard amazing reviews. Also, if you have time, the Culloden Moor visitor centre is really cool.

If you can swing it, a drive down Loch Ness to Glen Coe and then past Loch Lomond is worth it. Some of the most beautiful country on earth. Might consider playing Dornoch in the morning, then making the drive down to Glen Coe, and spending a night there, then picking up a round in the Glasgow area.

Scotland is great, and unfortunately no matter what you do you'll leave lots of great golf and sites unexplored, but you should get a great sampling of both in 8 days.

Whatever you do, do not skip Cruden Bay, it's my favorite course in the world. Finegan is spot on about it.

Something like this might save you some backtracking. Or spend an extra day in North Berwick or St Andrews and only 1 night in Inverness area.

Saturday: Edinburgh/North Berwick
Sunday/Monday: St Andrews/Carnoustie
Tuesday: Aberdeen/Cruden Bay area
Wednesday/Thursday: Inverness/Dornoch
Friday: Glen Coe/Lochs
Saturday: Glasgow area/back to Edinburgh

• 3 weeks later...

[color=#181818][size=2]We've changed the plans around...

Now going May 13th thru the 22nd. Thought better to go earlier to try to avoid crowds.

Saturday - fly into Aberdeen in the morning. Play Royal Aberdeen in afternoon. Stay in Aberdeen.

Sunday - play Cruden Bay, drive to Nairn.

Monday - Play Moray Old and Nairn.

Tuesday - Play Royal Dornoch

Wednesday - Drive down to St. Andrews, play one of Links Trust Courses.

* Working on a connection to get us on the Old Course, or just enter the lottery. Were not going to pay the crazy fees to get a guaranteed tee time at this point.

Thursday - Old Course, or Crail, or Lundin

Friday - North Berwick

Saturday - Old Course or Links Trust course

Well, I think the courses up north are set.

If possible, I'd like some feedback on the St. Andrews area courses. We are trying to play older courses, Morris and Braid courses, and not really interested in Kingsbarns. Although it looks amazing, 260 for a round is a little steep.

Anyone have any opinion on the other St. Andrews courses? Jubilee, New, Castle, Devlin, Torrence?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

[/size][/color]

We did a trip to Scotland last year and are going back this year. More highlands this time.

North Berwick is and great course. A few "charater" holes. Open Qualifer
Wonderful town to eat in. Try the Italian restruant for a family style dinner.

Old Course is probably not the best course in the Links courses in my view, still interesting.
I would get caddies to be able to know where the green is. Double greens make it daunting.
History is a good reason to play it. If you hit a draw it gets easy.
Jubilie I thought was better and harder.
Some local hotels have deals to stay and get tee times.

Kingsbarn is outstanding, really outstanding, but very pricey.

Edinburgh is good to get a Bus tour for the time spent. Castle was great for the vista.
We stayed in St. andrews and took the train in to town for the day.

An inland course that is an Open qualifier is Ladybank that is different and plays long on the back nine.

We are going in August this time and going Nairn, Cruden Bay, Dornoch, New Course, Jubliee, Ballot for OLD each day.
The ballot is now a 48 hour schedule I think to be able to plan better.
We are ending with Guliane #2 and seeing the Military Tatoo.

I agree that the country and people will pull you back to explore again.

(TIP) remove your hat when entering any shop to meet people. Shows respect to the locals.
Find the caddie bar and trade drinks for stories in the evening. Gawd that is so much fun.

The books help, going once makes you an expert....
Take a GPS for the driving.

PM me if you want more info.

Hey guys
I live in Scotland and love the golf here
I have not played the old yet although going to st Andrews to play the Torrance
another couple of courses thAt I love are in the Perthshire area the courses are in Blairgowrie one is rosemount the other is alyth ( braid original ) Blairgowrie is also a lovely small town to visit
castle Stewart is another cracker new home to the scottish open
I too would agree that the drive down from Inverness should be through loch ness and down to fort William and onto glencoe then maybe drive down through the trossachs to loch lomond
prices are good just now to play the carrick on loch lomond 4 ball £160 will be playing there soon
also playing Troon soon
I also think you will be suprised by the travelling times it takes to get to places I was at Nairn recently from Glasgow and it took 5hrs travelling
if you need any travel info let me know and I will try to help
cheers Paul

Now going May 13th thru the 22nd. Thought better to go earlier to try to avoid crowds.

Saturday - fly into Aberdeen in the morning. Play Royal Aberdeen in afternoon. Stay in Aberdeen.

Sunday - play Cruden Bay, drive to Nairn.

Monday - Play Moray Old and Nairn.

Tuesday - Play Royal Dornoch

Wednesday - Drive down to St. Andrews, play one of Links Trust Courses.

* Working on a connection to get us on the Old Course, or just enter the lottery. Were not going to pay the crazy fees to get a guaranteed tee time at this point.

Thursday - Old Course, or Crail, or Lundin

Friday - North Berwick

Saturday - Old Course or Links Trust course

Well, I think the courses up north are set.

If possible, I'd like some feedback on the St. Andrews area courses. We are trying to play older courses, Morris and Braid courses, and not really interested in Kingsbarns. Although it looks amazing, 260 for a round is a little steep.

Anyone have any opinion on the other St. Andrews courses? Jubilee, New, Castle, Devlin, Torrence?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

hmmm... my dad will be captain of Royal Aberdeen by the time you get there... haven't played there since end of February and the course was in amazing condition for then!!!

http://www.imagebam....11d68712178290011d687121782900.jpg

http://www.imagebam....199993121782908199993121782908.jpg

with the walker cup coming in september time.... the course has seem some small great changes...

My dad is also a member of Cruden Bay, not played there this year but its a shorter fun beautiful course to play, probably play in a couple weeks -

c4f99976160840.gif

the new hole ...

cb72d076160842.gif

view along the beach...

37dd3d76160846.gif

Never heard of Moray old so of course never played that!!! Dunno if this is an option but i recommend castle stewart - beautiful course inverness side of Nairn but only a 20 minute drive... Great course and they have the scottish open there this year... heading up to play in August...

second hole... beautiful par 5 with 2 options off the tee

2ee3a593535550.jpg

COurse design is infinity greens... so good

2a15f293535630.jpg

By Nairn i hope you mean Nairn west there are two courses there and West is by far the better of the two... played there numerous times and its an awesome course - The second hole i have played off the beach and seen my dad play from bunker to bunker 4 times into the wind....

Played the Old course once and will never play it again... nothing special as a course but just to be there is wicked... i have played the Dukes a few times but it is not a links course but great... really play what ones you want down there... The next one i will play down there is Torrance... heard nothing but great things.... Kingsbarns is good but the greens are so long and i played so badly there so not got fond memories... Played Crail but not for about 10 years and it was a great wee course...

just PM if you want more info or ask here...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

• 4 weeks later...

Your trip sounds great! The Northern courses are all fabulous choices. Royal Dornoch is a really special experience; very serene and a great test. I'm also a fan of Moray Old which is definitely one of those 'hidden gem' courses; one of the finest final holes I've ever played. In terms of the other courses at St Andrews, I would recommend the New. It is a really nice course, very classic links layout and has some great holes on the inward stretch. The Castle, Devlin and Torrance courses are all reasonably good but they aren't quite as classic or timeless as many other courses in St Andrews. I feel for a visitor to the area either the Jubilee or New makes a better choice. The only reason I would plump for the New over the Jubilee is that the Jubilee can be a brutal challenge on a windy day; it is very exposed and has some tricky greens.

I hope you have a great time. All of the courses you have mentioned are great and it should be a fabulous experience.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"