The Tennessean

adamjstl

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tennessean is a good layout. I haven't played it in the last year or so, but when I did, the greens were spotty in some areas. If I remember correctly, they were bent grass which is very difficult to maintain when it gets hot. As far as the best public course in the state...I don't think so. Greystone (Dixon, TN) is fairly close to the Tennessean and a MUCH better course IMHO. In Memphis, Mirimichi will challenge any public and the majority of the private courses.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='golfgoob' timestamp='1310145589' post='3374943']
wvularc11, what can you tell me about Riverwatch. I love that course and have tried to get into contact with them recently with no luck.
[/quote]

not much luck either, just found an article on the sale after doing some research as we couldnt' get in contact with them either. the new ownership just decided that it was to late in the season already to open it up so are working on it and will open in spring it said.

Played the tennessean all weekend and it's in pretty good shape, greens are now champions dwarf Bermuda. The front ones are a little longer and slower (done last year) and the back was a little slicker (done 2 years ago). It's a solid course with a 134 rating from the tips. There are some dry spots as to be expected in our area due to our climate, but it's in good overall shape. How it compares to the other courses I'm not sure, but it's worth $35.

[quote name='nowheresville' timestamp='1313614064' post='3496829']
In what city is The Tennessean? My vote goes to Old Fort GC in Murfreesboro,TN. Best Public course I have played in the state of TN for value and it is always in great shape!

[/quote]

I just played Old Fort last week since I live in Murfreesboro and yes it is in great shape. Though the best course along with the most challenging was West Haven CC in Franklin. Very difficult but the best kept course I have ever seen.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

Yes. Westhaven CG in Franklin,TN is very nice. Played there twice as they are looking for prospective members and both times were for free. I live in Nolensville. I am hoping that the new Mystic Ridge(near Triune)will be opening soon and hoping it will also be public. Jack Nicklaus golf has taken over the property(near Kix Brooks Winery off 840) and it might not open until next spring. It will be nice to have this as a closer option to Nowheresville.

[quote name='Reif' timestamp='1313685079' post='3499170']
Going to play Mirimichi on Sunday.

Does the course play 7400, or is it more downhill/downwind on most of the holes?

[b]Some courses play a lot shorter than their listed yardage.[/b]
[/quote]

You are exactly right, and Mirimichi is just such course IMO. I've never played it from the tips. I've always played it from the blue tees which are right at 7,000 yards and I've never found that set of tees to play as long as the scorecard yardage shows. Two of the par 3 holes, no.'s 8 and 13, play to good elevation drops, so you'll play one to two less clubs than normal to account for the drop.

I have not been there since the flooding, so I would really appreciate you posting what you see there over the weekend. I was told by a guy who played there just days after the full 18 holes reopened that the front nine will still in pretty rough shape.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

[quote name='nowheresville' timestamp='1313686325' post='3499255']
Yes. Westhaven CG in Franklin,TN is very nice. Played there twice as they are looking for prospective members and both times were for free. I live in Nolensville. I am hoping that the new Mystic Ridge(near Triune)will be opening soon and hoping it will also be public. Jack Nicklaus golf has taken over the property(near Kix Brooks Winery off 840) and it might not open until next spring. It will be nice to have this as a closer option to Nowheresville.
[/quote]

I just heard about that one, I drove by it the other day, Im really looking forward to it.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

[quote name='MarkCPA' timestamp='1314284310' post='3518289']
[quote name='Reif' timestamp='1313685079' post='3499170']
Going to play Mirimichi on Sunday.

Does the course play 7400, or is it more downhill/downwind on most of the holes?

[b]Some courses play a lot shorter than their listed yardage.[/b]
[/quote]

You are exactly right, and Mirimichi is just such course IMO. I've never played it from the tips. I've always played it from the blue tees which are right at 7,000 yards and I've never found that set of tees to play as long as the scorecard yardage shows. Two of the par 3 holes, no.'s 8 and 13, play to good elevation drops, so you'll play one to two less clubs than normal to account for the drop.

I have not been there since the flooding, so I would really appreciate you posting what you see there over the weekend. I was told by a guy who played there just days after the full 18 holes reopened that the front nine will still in pretty rough shape.
[/quote]

Played Sunday, 8/21/11.

it had rained an inch the night before, overcast, 88 degrees and muggy. A couple of showers that lasted about ten minutes each during the round.

I don't think they had cut the fairways and, while in good shape, were a little long.

The greens were firm, hard really, and FAST - the pro told me they were 12 on the Stimp meter - and I beleive it.

But they rolled where you putted them, and that's all you can ask.

I thought the course was in good shape, I really didn't think it was in "rough' shape at all.

Because of the rain, it was cart paths only, which is a drag, but I understand it.

The GPS system is the nicest I've ever seen, but there were still a couple of holes where it would have been nice to play there before, but there weren't any completely blind shots. They sent me out by myself.

I normally play the back tees at any course, but since I was struggling with my game a little I went from the blues.

I'd say it played about the yardage - there was no wind and I didn't think he elevation changes you mention affected the yardage that much. It's not perfectly flat, but more flat than not. The rain probably caused it to play a little longer than normal.

Like I said, I played on Sunday, $71 plus tax ($77, I think), range balls included, and the place was empty (don't know if it was because of the rain).

I live in San Diego, so $71 for a round of golf on a Sunday is pretty reasonable.

It's got a really nice grass range and a nice short game facility, although I think a shag bag is recommended (didn't see one of those PVC pipe ball collectors anywhere).

I'd recommend it and I'd play it again.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='fireguyfrank58' timestamp='1314284450' post='3518300']
[quote name='nowheresville' timestamp='1313686325' post='3499255']
[/quote]

I just heard about that one, I drove by it the other day, Im really looking forward to it.
[/quote]

Hard to tell, but it looks like it's grown in well so far and will be open next spring. Definitely no homes around it yet. I talked with their membership lady and she said they were getting together membership packages now and it will also be a daily fee course. It looks sick on the new GIS aerials of the property I have. Some really nice bunkering and should be a great addition to the area.

I just spoke to the pro shop manager yesterday. He is a friend of mine. I haven't played there in a few years because I have been away from the area and wanted to know what kind of shape the course was in as I have moved back and want to play there soon. He says that the greens and tee boxes are in really good shape and that the fairways are good but have a few spots here and there but overall good shape considering the brutal heat we have had. Take that for what its worth as I have not played there, but I trust what he told me.

Diamanared77, the guy that posted the 3rd post, plays college golf in the area and they still play there and paris landing golf coirse frequently still so maybe he will chime in too.

[quote name='mtsmith' timestamp='1315963557' post='3562630']
I just spoke to the pro shop manager yesterday. He is a friend of mine. I haven't played there in a few years because I have been away from the area and wanted to know what kind of shape the course was in as I have moved back and want to play there soon. He says that the greens and tee boxes are in really good shape and that the fairways are good but have a few spots here and there but overall good shape considering the brutal heat we have had. Take that for what its worth as I have not played there, but I trust what he told me.

Diamanared77, the guy that posted the 3rd post, plays college golf in the area and they still play there and paris landing golf coirse frequently still so maybe he will chime in too.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up - I have family in from the TPC in San Antonio and didn't want to drive the 1h45min if it wasn't in really good shape when I could go a couple other places that I know are in great shape. I've been wanting to try this course, I love the tree lined wooded layout

Not a problem man. Hopefully diamanared77 will post or u could also pm him before u take your family members out. Hope u enjoy it. It is a pretty tough course will tough green complexes. There is more room off the tee than u might think when standing on the tee box so don't let the tree lined fairways get in your head. The first hole tee shot is one of the toughest (from the tips), imo.

[quote name='Reif' timestamp='1316561071' post='3578453']
Maybe going to have some time in Nashville on Sunday.

Best course within, say, 30-45 minute drive of downtown?

Thanks,

Reif
[/quote]

Greystone is the best, but is closer to a 50-60 minute drive. Windtree in Mt. Juliet is nice also. Shortish, but nice.

Hermitage (two 18-hole courses), The Club at Foxland Harbor, Harpeth Hills (pretty hard for a muni)

The Golf Club of Tennessee is the 2nd best course in the state. It's private but if you had your pro call them, you might be able to get on. They have caddies (that's what I do). It's an amazing place. It is like Augusta :)

If you can get on The Golf Club of Tennessee, there are only 2 other courses in the state that can compare. The Honors Course and Spring Creek Ranch are those two. If you can't do The Golf Club I would suggest these public courses in the following order:

1) Greystone in Dickson
2) The Hermitage Presidents Reserve in Hermitage/Nashville
3) The Hermitage Generals Retreat in Hermitage/Nashville
4) Kings Creek Golf Club in Spring Hill would be 4th because it's in great condition BUT they are aerating this week
5) Gaylord Springs in Nashville