2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My swing

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC6a_DWO-3w"]Driver DTL[/url]

I still think I need to swing more upright, but I my head looks to be a lot more still.
One thing I thought was that I wasnt using enough lower body and I was just using upper body. I have been slicing with the driver lately, but today I didnt do too bad. I think on the dtl view for my driver it looks like my driver is aimed one way and me feet are aimed another, which can lead to a slice right?

Well, anyway please leave feedback!

Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your swing is kind of like mine. Have been trying to fix the plane of my swing forever, and found it very hard. A pro gave me this drill to do. It's kind of hard to explain but here it is.

1) Set up normally.
2)Turn your arms/hands right until the shaft it pointing to the target (down the line of your feet). And parallel to the ground (you will have to slightly hinge your wrists) .
3)Slightly bend yor left elbow, make sure it is as soft as anything (keep it soft through the swing).
4) Swing back

You should see, if you do it in front of a mirror, that halfway up the backswing the shaft will almost be vertical.
Practice this in front of the mirror first, then go and try and hit some balls with a pw (try teeing the ball up first though). And do it [b]s-l-o-w-l-y[/b]

If anyone knows what i am talking about, and can explain it better please do so.

Dude pause it at the 15 second mark...the toe of the club should be pointing towards the sky or slightly closed, yours is wide open, thats why you are losing it right.

Stand closer to the ball, your arms should hang almost straight down...this will also help you getting the club more in front of you.

Try this drill: stand with your butt 2-3" away from a wall and practice your takeaway. If you hit the wall youre still too flat/laid off/rolling your wrists.

You def under plan a lot on the backswing still but on the downswing you almost correct it so it's better. Your biggest issue as stated above if your rolling the face WAY open on the back swing. When u take the club back and it's about waist high the toe should point at the sky your is pointing behind you. Practice getting there it will probably feel really shut but it's not. This is help you in a big way. Also when you taking swings hit some practice balls this is important as it will be an accurate swing. Get some foam golf balls from a golf shop.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='polarisdude94' timestamp='1300758845' post='3076138']
Thanks. So If I keep the face closed more on the backswing then that will help my slice? Other than that, do I need to be more upright?
[/quote]

Yes it should help a lot. It would help if your backswing was more on plane not just upright but like I said what matters is where you are on the downswing and impact. honestly you look pretty good there your face is just wide open. Watch some swing vision and notice where the toe of the club is pointing at various points then look at yours.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Okay. Also does it look like my aim is off too? Or that I am not using enough lower body?
I think I know where I need my backswing to be, its just so hard right now since I worked all last year on making it flatter.
I am going to try to golf tomorrow again. I did today and shot 3 over par. That was all thanks to my chipping and putting though.

You're hung up on the wrong things. You have to fix the biggest problem first. J13 is right, as we've told you: you're toooooooooooooo flat on your backswing. You are so flat that the shaft of the club lies dead parallel to the ground well into your backswing. You cannot make consistent contact form there. Your forward plane is actually more upright than your takeaway plane yet it is on plane..does that make sense to you?

Have you done the wall drill yet?

Instant feedback. Do it until you dont hit the wall..do not swing forward.

2-3 inches, not feet. Just the takeaway, not the forward swing.

We are going to over-correct your problem momentarily through this drill. Drills aren't fun, thats why students don't commit to them but just try to ingrain it.

Think of the club's shaft as being more in front of your chest.

I'm really intrigued by your swing. You're in an above-average impact position, a minor miracle because of what you do in your takeaway.

I'll keep following your progress, good luck.

Take your address position as it is now, then take only your right hand off the club, let your right hand/arm hang down naturally from your shoulder...it falls closer to your body right?

Now move your left hand, which is still attached to the club, in towards your body so you can rejoin both your hands on the club...youre closer to the ball right? Your hands are closer to your body now, arms hanging down naturally, tension-free.

Start with a shorter club, 7 or 8 iron...and use an outside well-made wall because odds are you are going to whack that clubhead right into it for your first few attempts until you get it.

[quote name='polarisdude94' timestamp='1300917364' post='3081923']
Went to the range today and tried this. I did absolutely amazing. I hit the best drives I have ever hit, my irons were so consistent, as was my driver. It was great. Ill try to get some new videos next week. But as of now I am doing great. Ill keep everybody posted.
And thanks again.
[/quote]

Great news bud

Golfed my first full 18 of the year and shot a 79. My driving was okay. The rest was pretty good. But on 17 and 18 with the driver I just swung really hard and my hands seemed to follow great, I barely used any arm power. Should I always be doing this and just left my arms get "flung" through impact?

I have been golfing great lately guys. I am hitting my irons and driver very well. But tonight at the range I started out hitting my driver how I have been, which is just taking a smooth swing and the club just follows it and I am hitting a nice draw. But I am trying to be able to hit it further. SO I try to hit it harder, but then I am back to slicing, when I swing harder and faster I try to guide the club and I end up slicing. What can I do to work on being able to swing faster and still hit great drives? I also think so of this may be due to me gripping the club with too much pressure. The next time I will be golfing is on Tuesday, when I try to hit it further should I just make sure I grip it light and let the club head "fly" or "freewheel" through impact? I think my main reason I used to slice it was that I tried to guide the club head through the ball and not let the club do the work.

[quote name='polarisdude94' timestamp='1301878748' post='3115664']
I think my main reason I used to slice it was that I tried to guide the club head through the ball and not let the club do the work.
[/quote]

I guess it's crazy that Im the first to catch this but [size="5"]your right hip doesnt move at all [/size]in the backswing. Your left hip shoots out toward the ball and then rips across it on the downswing. The only way you have ever hit a straight ball or a draw is with your mind and your hands. This means you are great at the game in terms of hand eye coordination. If you dont get your right hip to move away from the ball on the backswing youre still leaving a lot of yardage and even more consistency out of your swing. Watch the hip action of any swing on tour.

Your swing is flat because the right hand is still pulling the left so hard that it breaks down your wrist. You need more left hand/arm in the takeaway. It's debatable which is more dominent. If you like the right hand dominant approach then think of your left arm like a string youre pulling straight out of your chest instead of accross your body.

Fix the hips first or youll have back problems in a few years. id bet money on that

[quote name='polarisdude94' timestamp='1301882201' post='3115835']
Thanks for the tip. What can I do to work on this? Your saying that I need to turn my right hip away from the ball in the backswing?
[/quote]

Ive only been playing for 3 years and i used to do the same thing you do now. When i realized I wanted to improve my motion i posted a vid and somebody said the same thing to me. Then you will want to know how and why. Search around on the forums and try different ideas but the best thing to do is find some vids on youtube of bizhub or slow motion dtl angles of tour pros. Heres a good vid from dariusz below. youll see his name a lot when you find threads on movement of the body during the swing. good luck. Until you make that change all of the other advice people gave you in this thread really wont do anything for your swing. You have to train the core so everything else does what it needs to.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRXW3-rlxnQ"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=nRXW3-rlxnQ[/url]

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1301881417' post='3115787']
I think my main reason I used to slice it was that I tried to guide the club head through the ball and not let the club do the work.
[/quote]

I guess it's crazy that Im the first to catch this but [size="5"]your right hip doesnt move at all [/size]in the backswing. Your left hip shoots out toward the ball and then rips across it on the downswing. The only way you have ever hit a straight ball or a draw is with your mind and your hands. This means you are great at the game in terms of hand eye coordination. If you dont get your right hip to move away from the ball on the backswing youre still leaving a lot of yardage and even more consistency out of your swing. Watch the hip action of any swing on tour.

Your swing is flat because the right hand is still pulling the left so hard that it breaks down your wrist. You need more left hand/arm in the takeaway. It's debatable which is more dominent. If you like the right hand dominant approach then think of your left arm like a string youre pulling straight out of your chest instead of accross your body.

Fix the hips first or youll have back problems in a few years. id bet money on that
[/quote]

I think his hip action is just fine. He just needs to get closer to the ball at address and take the club back more upright. Hes young and very flexible, I like that braced right leg w the upper body coiling into it...creates torque, which generates speed..

[quote name='Capecodder19' timestamp='1301883761' post='3115940']
Hes young and very flexible
[/quote]

Mr Capecodder....I have read some of your gems on the forums. Im just another guy who picked up the game when I wasnt young and flexible and have incurred many back spasms to learn what is right from wrong(and still learning). Someday he wont be young and flexible and if he's critical on the hip action now then all the other changes will be stupid easy and he can build a swing he will enjoy for a long time. JMHO

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1301881417' post='3115787']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think his hip action is just fine. He just needs to get closer to the ball at address and take the club back more upright. Hes young and very flexible, I like that braced right leg w the upper body coiling into it...creates torque, which generates speed..

[/quote]

I am going to continue doing what you and J13 told me because I have been doing that and I am doing well. Shooting in the 70's consistently. I think this year I have made more pars and birdies than I did all of last year. My handicap is at a 4.6 right now. I am going to ask the head pro where I caddy if he will give me some lessons of just pointers to help me. You two have helped me tremendously, but it is always easier to learn something in person.

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1301885164' post='3116019']
[/quote]

Mr Capecodder....I have read some of your gems on the forums. Im just another guy who picked up the game when I wasnt young and flexible and have incurred many back spasms to learn what is right from wrong(and still learning). Someday he wont be young and flexible and if he's critical on the hip action now then all the other changes will be stupid easy and he can build a swing he will enjoy for a long time. JMHO
[/quote]

I didn't disagree with you Ping, I just said I liked his lower body action. He's happy he's improving, and I am too. He's a 4.6 handicap with a swing that is a work in progress, he must have some talent and feel for the game. Small fixes for the big picture.

Just my two cents on your condition: Back pain is telling you your body is weak somewhere. Figure out what is causing your pain and strengthen that area. Get evaluated and get on a program.

[quote name='Capecodder19' timestamp='1301885821' post='3116055']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't disagree with you Ping, I just said I liked his lower body action. He's happy he's improving, and I am too. He's a 4.6 handicap with a swing that is a work in progress, he must have some talent and feel for the game. Small fixes for the big picture.

Just my two cents on your condition: Back pain is telling you your body is weak somewhere. Figure out what is causing your pain and strengthen that area. Get evaluated and get on a program.
[/quote]

Im on a program...Honestly I feel somewhat embarrassed because I did not know the guy is a single digit. wow. I've got some work to do I guess. Im still stuck in the low 80's and have yet to shoot a 70-something. I wish I started golf young...great pointers in this thread though.

I will still stick to my guns on the distance. He could gain another 20 yards off the tee. And all of our swings are a work in progress. God bless

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1301897331' post='3116441']
[quote name='Capecodder19' timestamp='1301885821' post='3116055']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Im on a program...Honestly I feel somewhat embarrassed because I did not know the guy is a single digit. wow. I've got some work to do I guess. Im still stuck in the low 80's and have yet to shoot a 70-something. I wish I started golf young...great pointers in this thread though.

I will still stick to my guns on the distance. He could gain another 20 yards off the tee. And all of our swings are a work in progress. God bless
[/quote]

Don't feel embarrassed, I have been golfing since I was eight. I agree that I could gain distance off the tee, but I need to learn how to balance that with accuracy.