2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Just tried mid-size grips...what a difference

jportz

I'm hitting it so good....
I have small hands and always thought I was supposed to play smaller grips but I recently tried some mid-size grips and was AMAZED at the difference.

The bigger grips allowed me to relax my forearms and hands more....no more death grip. Plus they're so much more comfortable and I'm sure will help prevent injury (arthritis) in the long run.

I have a tendancy to get a little "handsy" in my swing and that leads to snap hooks....but these grips help me to keep on plane and allow my arms and chest to rotate through in synch.

Just thought I'd share my joy....anyone else try these with similar results (or opposite results)?

I only gripped my odd number clubs so I could compare them but I can't wait to get home and re-grip the rest of them.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched to mid-sized tour velvets about a year ago and I have experienced more consistancy throughout the bag. I was always on the borderline and was worried that a larger grip wouldn't allow me turn the club over. Wrong. They were the perfect answer for me. :kewlpics:

Cobra King Ltd Black 10.5º - PX Hzrdous Black
Cobra F8+ 16º - Aldila  NV 2KXV Blue 
Cobra King Utility 18º - Recoil 780 es 
Cobra ACP mb 4-P -TT AMT T.I.
TM MG 50º - DG
TM MG 54º - DG
TM MG 58º - DG
TM Spider Tour Black

According to pingwrx, I should play a +1/32", which is a standard grip with 4 wraps of tape (including the double sided). When I started doing my own regripping, I honestly just didn't want to do 4 extra wraps on everythng, so I went up to midsize which are +1/16". The result was fantastic. They felt much better, and certainly helped with my tendency of being handsy, and I didn't have to use all that tape!

I've had a similar experience. I bought my current clubs off of ebay back in February or so. Of course they came with standard grips. I have had a real problem with my little draw turning into hooks. A month ago I thought, "what is the difference between these clubs and my old ones where I was hitting a straight ball?". The answer...the grips. So I decided to take my 8 iron and put a mid-size grip on it...alas the effect I was looking for. That 8 iron until I re-grip the others is the only club that I hit straight. I can relate to your joy.

My guru and another fitter said that I was in a standard grip all of this time and I kept telling them I'm more comfortable in a mid-size. For the same reasons...less tension in the hands and arms.

Alex

Man I can't believe how much better my swing feels with these grips...it's like I've found the holy grail of golf tips.

For all of you who have never tried different sized grips....you might not know what you're missing. I've always had a pretty good swing but those skinny grips made me squeeze my hands too tight and created all kinds of tension and now I believe were the cause of a lot of my mis-hits.

I just can't believe how much of a difference they made for me and it's cool that some of you have had the same experience.

OK... I had a mid sized grip on a driver I picked up from a member several months ago. I hit that driver so well that I based my expensive tour issue club on that driver. The one thing I never thought about was the larger grip so they put a regular grip on the club. The tour driver just wasn't the same.

Last night I read this post and put everything together (I'm a little slow). I put a mid sized gip on 3 irons (7,8,9) and my tour driver. WOW!!!!! The irons seemed to be straight down the line every hit. If I aimed to the left of the green, the ball went to the left of the green. The driver felt as though I had a different club in my hands. It seemed more in control.

I plan on playing a couple of rounds before I switch the rest of them.

Thank you for the tip.

It's great that you all can relate to the midsized grip so well and have such great experiences w/ them, but could you provide your glove size so some of us could relate?

The people that specified their glove size are so far are size M, I wear a size L (L/XL sometimes depending on the brand) glove and have standard grips on all my clubs..

Am I already one grip size too small to begin with, should I go to an oversized grip to experience yor joy?? :cheesy:

cjr:

Well I can tell you that typically I wear a large glove, although I do like the feel of a medium large much better. As stated in an earlier post I am recommended to have standard grips according to fittings that I have had, but the midsize grips feel that much better. The difference is night and day. Try a re-grip with one club to start and see how it feels and works. As far as which club...that is entirely up to you. I went with my go to 8 iron first for the...experiment. Much like Wile E. Coyote...genius. The rest are now midsize. Try it you may find the same joy.

Alex

I wear a Large sized glove and have the mid sized tour wrap on my clubs. My club man also made a grip for me to try with several wraps of tape. The first strip of tape is as long as the grip, the second piece of tape is 2 inches shorter, the next piece is 2 inces short and so on. This scheme is for a regular sized grip. The result is positive. The left hand feels the same as a mid sized but the right hand feels like I can get the speed I want and need to move the ball.

For me...I wear a Medium glove and am supposed to use -1/64 grips according to the "charts". The midsize grips have totally changed my game and my swing. No more handsy, flippy, snap hooks....just a nice soft grip and I turn back and through...it seems so simple now.

I've never hit the ball so consistently straight and my tempo and timing is so much smoother now.

I started with my SW, 8 iron and 5 iron.....went to the range and came back and changed the rest of my clubs the next night.

Like someone else said...it's a night and day difference. I never thought grip size would make much of difference but boy was I wrong.

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry to bump this older thread, but I'm very interested in this topic. I just purchased a new set of I5 Pings that came with the new Multi Compound New Decade Golf Pride grips, standard size and the Ping CL S Stiff shaft. I was hitting hooks and pushes like I've never done in the past. I saw this thread and tried a Ping 1/32 Gold grip on my 6 and at first blush was flushing the ball much better as well as hitting much straiter. I acutally noitice a slightly lower ball trajectory wich I was very happy to see. My question, if anyone is reading this again, is when you guys say Mid Sized, do you mean 1/32 or 1/16? If the shaft butt matters, how does the Ping CSLite manipulate this? Is the Ping 1/32 Gold I just put on considered a Mid Sized, or almost a Mid Sized? I would also like to know if when you guys hold the club with your new mid sized grips, does your ring finger still slightly touch your palm?

Appreciate the help,

Randy Kight

Richmond, VA

• 1 year later...

I'm a medium-large glove size and + 1/64 on grips; but today I experimented and re-gripped a wedge, a long iron, a hybrid and my driver to a midsize grip. Went to the range and hit 180 balls. The wedge felt great in the midsize and loved what seemed to be added control, but as I moved up the clubs to the driver, the hits started going more and more right. I switched back and forth between the midsize and standard grips on my other long irons and hybrids to compare, and definitely fade right with the midsize. Surprising result to me, but cannot explain why.

cjr:

Well I can tell you that typically I wear a large glove, although I do like the feel of a medium large much better. As stated in an earlier post I am recommended to have standard grips according to fittings that I have had, but the midsize grips feel that much better. The difference is night and day. Try a re-grip with one club to start and see how it feels and works. As far as which club...that is entirely up to you. I went with my go to 8 iron first for the...experiment. Much like Wile E. Coyote...genius. The rest are now midsize. Try it you may find the same joy.

Alex

My hands hurt at the end of the weekend if I play both days. I am in my mid to late 40s. My hands take a large glove. I wonder if mid size grips would help.

I'm a medium-large glove size and + 1/64 on grips; but today I experimented and re-gripped a wedge, a long iron, a hybrid and my driver to a midsize grip. Went to the range and hit 180 balls. The wedge felt great in the midsize and loved what seemed to be added control, but as I moved up the clubs to the driver, the hits started going more and more right. I switched back and forth between the midsize and standard grips on my other long irons and hybrids to compare, and definitely fade right with the midsize. Surprising result to me, but cannot explain why.

makes perfect sense. a larger grip makes it more difficult to release the club. it can help with wedge control because most people get too handsy with the wedges--it promotes keeping the left wrist quiet. but with longer clubs a larger grip can hinder proper release.