2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Edited with vids PLEASE help!!!

late hip turn and flipping
I have been battleing a bad flip and not clearing my hips on my irons. I only get maybe 5 yds between irons with my 5 iron only going 140 yds. The ball flight of each is the same as a wedge. My SS with my 7 iron is 83 mph. I got a camera that shoots 240 fps and noticed I am flipping, a little sway and hips are square at impact. I cant for the life of me correct these issues. I purchased the dual hinge 7 iron, tour striker the lag and flat wrist aid (which just arrived today), taken lessons and do all the drills I was instructed to do and cant seem to figure it out. Anyone have this issue and found a drill to correct it?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like you are hitting "at the ball and quitting your swing" insted of swinging through the ball to a finish....You need to get to your left side sooner as you get to the top of your back swing...Once on the left side fully... your hips will turn out of the way....As you swing to the top just move the weight to the left foot....Jim

yeah, i always battle with lazy hips. Most of my bad shots are caused by my arms going too early and the hips stalling. My solution boiled down to learning the feeling of using my right instep and left hamstring/butt to drive the left hip at the transition (hip rotating hard backwards and moving laterally from the ground up) to start the arms. The feeling for me is "slinging" my hips, so driving my feet/legs to "sling" my left hip behind me and towards the target while i am still completing the back swing. I found it very helpful to learn this feeling by taking short swings at half speed, then increasing the speed, then increasing the length (as long as i could maintain the feeling). An impact bag is good, as it can show you where your hips are at impact on half speed swings. As a solution in itself, i found that the impact bag just helped me to time full shots without forcing me to pivot (got loads of video of solid contact/forward leaning shaft/hips maybe 10* past square). Hit some 3/4 length 1/2 speed swings into an impact bag where you really exaggerate driving the hips with the legs to a ridiculous degree. Hopefully you will find that it is almost enough hip turn and can learn the feeling and build it into fuller swings.

yeah if you are not turning there is only going to be greater inaccuracy in a longer swing, not extra power. Go back to 9 to 3 and try to get you belt buckle facing the target at impact (you wont be able to but thats the feeling). Sling your left hip back and towards the target to hit the ball (dont use your arms!) This will move your weight left, rotate you through impact and set up a good arm sequence.

[quote name='gravedigger' timestamp='1302222651' post='3131113']
I have been battleing a bad flip and not clearing my hips on my irons. I only get maybe 5 yds between irons with my 5 iron only going 140 yds. The ball flight of each is the same as a wedge. My SS with my 7 iron is 83 mph. I got a camera that shoots 240 fps and noticed I am flipping, a little sway and hips are square at impact. I cant for the life of me correct these issues. I purchased the dual hinge 7 iron, tour striker the lag and flat wrist aid (which just arrived today), taken lessons and do all the drills I was instructed to do and cant seem to figure it out. Anyone have this issue and found a drill to correct it?
[/quote]

Front and DTL videos please
Your problems probably result from setup problems and then backswing problems.Will have a much better idea with videos but this is a guess.The flat left wrist is a result of the proper pivot and not an end in itself. Square hips at impact indicate a problem with your pivot . Try 4 drills for now
1.Without a club, take your normal stance and cross your hands over each shoulder.Make a backswing turn with the goal of turning until your shoulders are in line with your right foot.
2. feet together drills-place feet only 6 inches apart and hit balls. .Too much lateral motion and you will fall over.Will certainly help you rotate much better.
3.Right hand only drill -hit balls slightly teed up with your your right hand only .1/2 swings only.Great drill to feel the correct body rotation and holding the right wrist set.Do not worry about where the balls are going at this time.
4.Punisher drill AKA extended club drill.Stick a rod or shaft up the butt end of the grip(cut out a hole in this butt end with a box cutter if necessary) and pad the rod or shaft.Start out with the shaft or rod against your left side.take the club back straight and swing through.if you flip you will whack your left side.This is a great drill to learn how to pivot correctly..Search on golfwrx for" punisher" and click on post" is the an anti flip drill,photos included". 1/2 swings only

The tour striker is probably the best training aid ever invented,but it is not a miracle club.I would start out by hitting short chip shots and thern graduate to longer chips and then short pitches.Take some pictures .if the shaft is forward leaning at impact ,you can go to longer swings.

I do all these drills but the punisher! My instructor says my practice swings look perfect gut can't get it over the ball. Maybe I need to speed up my tempo during the swing as I do with my practice swings??
[quote name='russc' timestamp='1302228608' post='3131500']
[/quote]

Your problems probably result from setup problems and then backswing problems.Will have a much better idea with videos but this is a guess.The flat left wrist is a result of the proper pivot and not an end in itself. Square hips at impact indicate a problem with your pivot . Try 4 drills for now
1.Without a club, take your normal stance and cross your hands over each shoulder.Make a backswing turn with the goal of turning until your shoulders are in line with your right foot.
2. feet together drills-place feet only 6 inches apart and hit balls. .Too much lateral motion and you will fall over.Will certainly help you rotate much better.
3.Right hand only drill -hit balls slightly teed up with your your right hand only .1/2 swings only.Great drill to feel the correct body rotation and holding the right wrist set.Do not worry about where the balls are going at this time.
4.Punisher drill AKA extended club drill.Stick a rod or shaft up the butt end of the grip(cut out a hole in this butt end with a box cutter if necessary) and pad the rod or shaft.Start out with the shaft or rod against your left side.take the club back straight and swing through.if you flip you will whack your left side.This is a great drill to learn how to pivot correctly..Search on golfwrx for" punisher" and click on post" is the an anti flip drill,photos included". 1/2 swings only

The tour striker is probably the best training aid ever invented,but it is not a miracle club.I would start out by hitting short chip shots and thern graduate to longer chips and then short pitches.Take some pictures .if the shaft is forward leaning at impact ,you can go to longer swings.
[/quote]

[quote name='gravedigger' timestamp='1302262541' post='3132366']
I do all these drills but the punisher! My instructor says my practice swings look perfect gut can't get it over the ball. Maybe I need to speed up my tempo during the swing as I do with my practice swings??
[quote name='russc' timestamp='1302228608' post='3131500']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Please post video with a ball.
Many people have practice swings which vary quite a bit from their swings at the ball.When you swing at the ball you need to square up the club, while you do not need to on your practice swing.Pivot stall and flipping are often the result of your need to square up the club My guess is that on your practice swing the club is way open at impact .
By the way,if your pivot stalls and you flip in the punisher drill,the result will not only be a bruised ego,but bruised ribs.Try it

To elaborate more on the great advise of russc...

During my journey with this swing, I had to change my stance. I tried copying Hogans stance suggestions. Didn't work completely for me. I had to narrow my stance significantly for my hips to turn throuogh properly. Too wide gave me the tendency to stall my pivot. Narrowing also helped my tempo. I was way too quick. Narrowing prevented this because I HAD to then maintain my balance.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ObH6GJKlE"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=h7ObH6GJKlE[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1lamV4ZFSI"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=h1lamV4ZFSI[/url]
[/quote]

Honestly, the dual hinge 7 iron is causing your problems. You turn your shoulders way too level to the ground, instead of level to your spine...and the arms and wrists roll the club way too open and to the inside...which is what is causing the flat shoulder turn.

The great part is your body is smart enough to lift the club back out in front of you, but then the swing gets too long with too much arm lift and swing.

All of these issues are often caused by trying not to break the hinges on the medicus and all related devices.

What you need to do is throw away all of the training aids and work on shoulder turn. Get in front of a mirror and hold a shaft cross armed in front of your shoulders and practice turning at a 90* angle to your spine. Once you have that feel down you arms and hands should steadily not roll the club so much.

Try one or both of these drills.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FH5r5_tROU"]LINK 1[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0rJIOFok64"]LINK 2[/url]

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Monte's right on, shoulder turn is too level to the ground causing your head to move to the right and up and the arms to lift. I'm actually going to do a video of this soon. Going to feel like your shoulders turn steeper to keep the head centered. Like if someone was to hold a club to the left side of your head and you keep your head touching the club on the back swing. Also try this with your forehead on a wall and make a backswing with the head not moving. Going to feel like the shoulders work more up and down rather than rotating, and you're going to feel it in your abs.

Good clip of Grant Waite explaining how the left shoulder moves
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Ol8q0unsU[/media]

To me it sounded like you were hitting it fat, and behind the ball in your videos. It also looked to me like you were lifting up through the ball instead of having a good impact position down and through the ball.
Here take a look at this video, I think if you got into a good impact position when you are bringing the club down into the ball, you would be able to hit your shots farther and generate more clubhead speed down and through the ball ultimately giving your shots more distance. I use this drill and it works great for me.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ8vQ7wm2l8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ8vQ7wm2l8[/url]
Hope this helps!
Kaleb