2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Shot Ever!

roboxm3

You know you love telling the story!!!
I'm sure just about 100% of you, as I have, many times, been chatting to your playing partner, workmate/s, friends, family, selectively deaf girlfriend / wife about golf and the chat always seems
to lead to your best and worst shot/s from not only that round but often your whole playing career/
experience!? As I've only been playing for just over a year my memory bank still has plenty of room
for more of those glory moments but I thought it would be interesting to hear a few of everyones!? No need
for the worst ones, everyones fatted it 5 yards, thinned it 20 yards past the green from 20 yards, so
just stick to the best ones, 2 or 3 max...if possible!!
Apologies if this has already been done, if so perhaps someone could point me in the right direction
so I can have a read!?

Here's mine:

#1: The first time I used my new (recently aquired, new to me) MP-001 driver. I reached the 4th hole of
my local course, the first time the driver is "really" called for, a long par 4 that I absolutely hate! Always
into wind, even a decent drive normally leaves me 150yds, playing in a friendly 3 ball one evening early
summer with the assistant pro and a couple of low hcp players behind. I was last to go off the tee, with the
other 2 hitting on the fairway approx 175yds out! I pulled the driver and just thought it'll either work or it
won't, I swung the club and it was one of those shots that you have no idea what you did different to any
other, didn't swing harder or faster or concentrate more but the ball just went, offering absolutely no
resistance to the club head, on the exact line that I aimed, with a gradually increasing trajectory, with a
soft draw and landed almost exactly in the middle of the fairway almost exactly 100yds out! I'm sure you
all know exactly how I felt with mentions of long drive competitions from the other 2 and when I reached
my ball, the group behind playing up, but none within a lob wedge of my ball!

#2: Strangely is from one of my very early lessons after having only been playing for 6 months or so,
by this time I was playing to a pretty consistent low 20's hcp and was having a lesson every month or
so but really struggling with my 3, 4 & 5 iron (not that i'm completely comfortable with them now but
I'm getting there). I was having a lesson, all going well when i said to the pro (John Hudson, used to
play on the European Tour in the 60's & 70's, only player ever in tournament history to have back to
back hole in ones I believe) "why can't I do this with my 5 iron down"?? (I was beginning to hit some
really nicely flighted, solid shots that weren't fading, which I was and still do fight), to which he handed
me my 5 iron and said "you can", just repeated what he'd said throughout the lesson, put a ball down
and stood back. It was the same situation as before, no effort, no thought, no feel of the ball, just a
smooth, balanced swing with the ball flying off the club face high and straight turning left slightly at it's
peak and landing softly about 175yds out, not bad distance with our range balls!!

And after each one of those moments, as with a few others that have felt almost as good, I just think
WHY?? can't i do that every time??

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing solo at my favorite (RTJ Sr. designed) muni earlier this summer, and it was my first round with my new Sonartec SS 3.5. Exciting. I was flying around the course, which was practically empty due to the slight drizzle...and was adapting to a strong draw I was tending to get with my new club. Taking the right side out of play was working well for me. Anyway, I come up on a 4-some who are playing a little slow and they offer to let me play through. I tell them to go ahead and hit, as I still had to putt. As I was putting, I saw them hit 4 consecutive push/slices into the trees on the outside of the dogleg on the next hole (a par 5). They drive off to find their balls as I get up to the tee box.

The hole sets up nice for me, a double-dogleg-left with the tee and fairway on river/stream level and the green is tucked behind a line of trees up on the side of the hill about 15-20 feet above the fairway (image below). The hole plays over the stream, then runs along the right side of the stream, then the green is back on the other side, up a story or two. So I hit my nice draw into the fairway, nothing special...but this time I got a little roll (usually plugs in the moist fairway).

Despite not being able to see the green, due to the trees, and despite the trouble all around the green (trees, stream, hill), I really thought I had the shot in me (especially given my consistent draw all day long to that point). Normally, I'd take a short iron to lay up, as the green is not accessible, but this time I grabbed the shiny new 3-wood and prepared to take my first real shot with it from the turf.

See it, feel it, do it.

Done. That felt good. The ball starts off on a mid-trajectory, slowly rising and following the center of the fairway, and then as if I'm controlling it's flight with a PS2 controller, it turns left and drops up on the green (which was completely out of my view, but my spectators surely saw it). You'd think Phil had holed out for double-eagle or something...I've never heard such a cheer for one of my shots, they didn't hold back. Inside I'm going nuts, jumping for joy, and shouting expletives. On the outside, however, I completely acted like it was something that happens all the time. I tip my cap to them and wave and say "thanks guys" and hurry off to the green.

Don't know if it was the best shot I ever hit, but it's my best story. Here goes:

About 10 years ago I got talked into playing in a member-guest tournament by a coworker. The venue was a goat-track in a small town about 20 minutes south of DFW. My partner had done a huge sales job getting me to play and promissed that it'd be a good time and a weak field.

Well, we play the first day and are leading our flight by a few strokes and are in 2nd place in the gross division (pretty decent considering I was a 12 handicap at the time, my partner scratch). I left the course that afternoon under the assumption we would be playing at 1:30 the next afternoon.

At the time, I was young, single, and basically lived to have a good time. Being that it was a weekend, I went out that night to take advantage of all of those qualities. Without going into detail, I had a VERY good night out and didn't head home until about the time the sun was rising.

As I was driving home, my car-phone rang. My partner was calling to inform me that they had made a mistake with the tee-times and instead of being near the last group out, we were near the first group out (definitely the opposite of any tournament I had ever played). I basically had 30 minutes to do 45 minutes worth of driving, change clothes, and get to the course. Of course, I hadn't slept yet.

I drove like a bat out of hell, got to my house, threw on some shorts and a golf shirt, and hauled a** to the course. The driveway to the parking lot seperated the first tee and the clubhouse. Golf carts scattered as my truck squealed around the turn. One cart wasn't fast enough, so I had to jump the curb to avoid it, spinning into the large gravel parking lot, my truck came to a sliding stop right in a parking space.

As the dust was clearing, I grabbed my clubs out of the back of the truck, noticed my partner standing in the middle of the first fairway, threw my clubs on my back, and started walking that way, all with the echos of many people cursing me as I tried to catch my group. Needless to say, I'd made quite an entrance and didn't do much to impress the locals in a positive manner.

After a few minutes of getting chewed out by my partner, our playing partners, the marshall, 2-3 other groups, and arguing our way out of being disqualified, we were allowed to play.

The first day of the tournament had been a scramble, but the second day was best ball. After swinging and missing on the first couple of holes, my partner asked me not to play anymore until he needed me.

After riding for a hole or two, I finally passed out in the cart and slept for 2-3 holes.

We get to a par 3, probably 225 yards long, with a creek that ran along the front and right side of the green. My partner hit a ball in the creek and woke me up telling me I had to play the hole.

I stepped to the tee, very un-steadily, teed up my ball, and tried to concentrate. I swung a 3 iron and hit it perfectly pure. The ball took off on a perfect path, the started to slighting draw towards the pin. What happened next, I'll never forget.

I flew the ball directly into the cup. Unfortunately, the cup was made of rotting plastic. The ball landed in the cup, broke the cup, knocked the pin over, with the ball ricocheting out, directing right, and into the creek.

We all stared at eachother in disbelief. Not knowing what to say, I looked at my partner and only remarked "sorry, guess I didn't help".

Needless to say, my shot was widely talked about that day, and some who yelled at me earlier wanted to buy me drinks after the round.

Haven't ever been back there and quit that job shortly after, losing contact with my partner that day. I wouldn't be surprised in that story still get's told occasionally around their 19th hole.

Mine actually happened last week at a new course that just opened in the area.

I pull up on a par 3 behind a foursome whose youngest member had to be 80yrs old. I'm sitting there while everyone is trying to get the exact yardage to the hole. One person has driven to the green and is pacing out the location and distance of the hole from the front of the green. Another is pacing off the tee box itself while the 3rd is working on the wind. The 4th is taking practice swings the whole time. After a few minutes they decide the hole is 167 1/2yrds with the green 2 yrds higher than the tee and the wind at 5mph from 7:30. At this point I'm sitting in my cart truely amazed thinking I'm either going to see something really good here or it's going to be a long day if they don't let me play through.

Well, the 1st one up repeats all the details like he's fixing it in his mind, takes a swing and we all watch as the ball goes 75 yrds...maybe. About this time they notice me and wave me up to the tee to play through. Now I'm walking up thinking "don't screw up, don't screw up, don't screw up" while they're giving me all the low-down on the hole. I'm trying to be nice about it, listening to all their advice, but just want to hit it and get past them as quickly as possible.

I tee it up, take a practice swing and tell them "I got it" to kind of quiet them down. I swing and lose the ball in the sun because it's late afternoon and I'm facing right into it. All I know is it's on the green and I'm thinking I pulled it off. I head to the hole only to learn I've got a following, they're all coming to see how I did. We get there only to see my ball literally 8 inches from the hole. I tap in feeling great and as I'm walking off hear them talking about what a great job they did in helping me. I thanked them and played the next couple of holes as quickly as I could to get a little distance between us.