2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hawaii GolfWRX'ers where did you play?

pitbull808

PS......GRRRRRRRR :hi:

:grin: :cheesy: :deadhorse:

GRRRRRRRR indeed! I must say that it sure does work well for you. When your only complaint is that it goes straight, that is a nice problem to have. Not to mention, it has a very nice shape and looks great at address. Too bad I suck and couldn't hit it worth a darn. That won't stop me from looking for one though. :deadhorse: Nice addition Bobby, evidenced by the moonshots you hit with that thing. :deadhorse: It was fun to get out with the gang again, although I was actually looking forward to playing with our "host". I have not had many opportunities to play with my cart partner in a while. At any rate, it was nice to win a Hacker Long Drive, as I haven't won one in ages. Even the blind squirrel find a nut once in awhile. :good:

BTW, nice post Chad, good reviews. If I ever sell a kidney or something and can afford the trip, I would love to play Pebble. Although, I may end up playing Bandon first. Right after I play St. Andrews. Man I am gonna need more kidneys! :deadhorse:

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played cart golf at Barbers yesterday with the other stooges. I wonder if "crushing" team Doberman-Bubba is the current trend. I attribute the W to the Oxtail Stew Reid graciously treated me to in the moring at Ray's Cafe.

Joey, I guess congratulations are in order. :birthday: I am sorry I could not join you guys.

However, I did get to play Pearl today and for a brief period, I thought I was going to put all of my Sensei's advice together and go low. Well, after a 1 over opening 9, I managed to go double, double, triple on the back! :clapping: What a waste of 3 birdies. Sorry Sensei. :drinks:

Played cart golf at Barbers yesterday with the other stooges. I wonder if "crushing" team Doberman-Bubba is the current trend. I attribute the W to the Oxtail Stew Reid graciously treated me to in the moring at Ray's Cafe.

LOL...it's ALL MY BAD! If I could only figure out what grip, what swing to use on every hole instead of trying my "AK" swing I watched on that damn Playing With the Pro's, I might be able to get a tad bit of consistency in my rounds. :birthday:

I know the thing I absolutely must do after the lay off...get my a** to a range and figure this crap out. :clapping:

• 1 month later...
Played RK this past Friday. It's nice to get the "W" and win the hacker long drive award! The Tee Master is out two weeks from now due to the Pro-Scratch Tournament so perhaps Halloween is the perfect opportunity for team Doberman to take the Cup back. :cheesy:

Nice to hear you'll be playing with fellow Pro's and Scratch players. Hopefully they'll give you a better run for the money then us! You still won't have to give them strokes either...like us..even after all our begging!! :cheesy:

It was very nice getting the old gang back together again for the cart golf competition. Anyways..Halloween sounds great. I think by then my back should be at a much better place then this past week. Hopefully I'll be able to get through a full 18 holes...and of course...give you a better run for the Hacker Long Drive contest. How bout Pearl? Good tune up for your future event there. Also a great place to bomb and gouge. ;) Any other suggestions cart golfers? Kapolei? Waikele? How was it Tony?

Halloween does sound good for me too. As for Waikele, I don't think I picked a good day to assess the course. Not only did we end up playing in the torrential downpours, but the greenskeepers must have been having a bad day! :cheesy: Almost every pin was cut about 3 to 4 paces off the edge of the green. Many of them in areas where the ball could easily roll off the green, since the rough was shaved. The pins that were not just off the edge were cut right on a slope! The course did not look to be in bad shape, but with all of the water and mud, it was really hard to tell. To add to the ordeal, it was cart path only. Suffice to say that I did a lot of walking! :tongue: I think we only played 2 or 3 holes in a light drizzle, the rest of the round was spent wishing that I was in the clubhouse eating a loco moco! :cheesy:

I would be okay with Kapolei, Pearl, RK, Ewa, Ko'Olina, or wherever the gang decides.

BTW, good luck in the Pro-Scratch tee master! :drinks:

I actually got to play golf last Friday. I got out to Mid-Pac with an agent I work with and it was the last day before all the rain came in. Absolutely beautiful, not crowded at all, only light winds and the greens weren't running fast at all. Perfect conditions for me to shoot an 86 :vava:.

I only missed a few fairways, but it was either OB or behind a tree except for one of them. Compound that with me not being able to hit an iron shot, and it was horrible. Thankfully the back 9 was ok, I was only 4 over. But it was still irritating.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

• 5 months later...

The swing change is finally coming around and I am playing like someone who knows what he is doing. The new custom ground Chikara and the new putter are working so well, I think I can get up and down from anywhere, and am. Played Coral Creek and almost had a career round. A 78 makes this the first sub 80 round in over a year. The round consisted of an OB and a water hazard, but also included an eagle. A nice pitch in on 17.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was good to see the whole gang at Royal Kunia today. I was pleasantly surprised that the greens were fairly smooth and rolling at a decent speed. Getting the win at cart golf and hacker long drive was also a bonus. Props to Dr. Carl for fitting me with the new UST-Mamiya ATTAS shaft. Seems to have given me at least a few extra yards. :drinks:

It was good to see the whole gang at Royal Kunia today. I was pleasantly surprised that the greens were fairly smooth and rolling at a decent speed. Getting the win at cart golf and hacker long drive was also a bonus. Props to Dr. Carl for fitting me with the new UST-Mamiya ATTAS shaft. Seems to have given me at least a few extra yards. :drinks:

Don't shortchange yourself..you got BIG BIG extra yards. Best I've seen you hit a driver in ages. If only you had that when you played Pearl Open last year. :D

And yes..nice to see everyone on a Friday again. Too bad I sucked it up from putter to driver. Like I told Bobby...it's a b**** waiting all week to hack up a storm. I'm definitely close to quitting. :(

Don't shortchange yourself..you got BIG BIG extra yards. Best I've seen you hit a driver in ages. If only you had that when you played Pearl Open last year. :D

And yes..nice to see everyone on a Friday again. Too bad I sucked it up from putter to driver. Like I told Bobby...it's a b**** waiting all week to hack up a storm. I'm definitely close to quitting. :(

Nice round JT. Listen to your caddie...Leave the driver and hybrid alone!

Reid, I too hacked something awful today. Even though I played the last 6 in even par...the round was lost early on. I just suck! Like you, quitting may be in my future... I am considering taking up Tiddlywinks. I just have to make sure I can get some Miura Forged Winks and a cool Tourstage bag to tote them around in! :tongue:

Nice round JT. Listen to your caddie...Leave the driver and hybrid alone!

Reid, I too hacked something awful today. Even though I played the last 6 in even par...the round was lost early on. I just suck! Like you, quitting may be in my future... I am considering taking up Tiddlywinks. I just have to make sure I can get some Miura Forged Winks and a cool Tourstage bag to tote them around in! :tongue:

Can I get dibs on the Circle T Tiddlywinks? Just make sure mine are one piece miled with a low trajectory, mid kick, fade bias. :pardon:

• 1 year later...

I played Navy-Marine yesterday. Every thing is running fast. There isn't much rough. Most sand traps do not have mush sand in them. To me it looked great, well keep

Mamala Bay also in good shape the greens are nice. The greens and fairways are much softer and play a lot slower the the Navy-Marine.

I playe waikele a couple days ago and all I can say is that I would never pay 50 to play it again. It looks like it gets a lot of traffic.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

Played out at Hawaii Kai today. I haven't been out there in a few years. In fact I think I can count on one hand the times I've been out there in over 30+ years of golfing in Hawaii. Something about a course that you can't play "normally" just pisses me off. Listening to Mach 1 tell me I have to hit over trees and houses to keep my driver in play otherwise I'll run out of fairway is just not my idea of a fun time. Going OB when my ball failed to make a 50* cut and ran through the fairway really irked me. Teeing off at 1pm and playing in 5+ hours is also not a fun time. I'm amazed they have so much play out there. Either that..I'm to used to teeing off at the first tee time and nobody's around!

Anyway......fairways..nothing new. They still seem dried out and hard. If you're a short hitter, you'll feel like a monster with the roll out you get. Greens were very nice. For a late tee time, I'd expect them to be a bit beat up but I guess because they're a bit harder then RK, they don't get as many ball marks. Either that..the play of most sunday golfers is above the average golfer and most hit the greens with a chip/pitch. :pardon: Although hard, they did hold the ball well on properly hit shots. They were very smooth and rolled consistently well. A big bright spot on a VERY hot and long day on the east side. Too bad RK can't get their greens rolling at this speed consistently.

• 4 weeks later...

Kaneohe Klipper
0630 tee time...3.5 hours of play.
Course...super. I love these older courses. The grass is so much better hitting in compared to the paspalum pretty much all the new courses have switched to. The greens..awesome. Great speed, held well and smoooooth. Makes me wonder why I keep playing Royal Kunia which is nice..but the greens have so much left to be desired.

If you can get on the Kaneohe Marine Base...go play it. The ocean views on the back 9 make you want to pull up a beach chair and just suck in the atmosphere.

• 1 month later...

I played Barbers Point. Not a very nice course. fairways need a TON of work, a truck load of grass seed and who knows what else.

I almost had a round in the 70's for the first time. I shot a 82

Its funny because the score card only has up to white tees but on the couse the hole lay out sign has blue tees. Well there where no blue tees marked yesterday so I just played from the back of every tee box. I had at least 4 putts dead center of the cup which was left less then 6 inches short and to top it off I hit a ball O.B. on the last hole. I had atleast 150 yards of open landing area to the left of where I hit my ball to, I shot a F'in Triple bogey on the last hole. That has never happened on the last hole, normally par or birdie. I would have taken a bogey not a triple.

ADD: the greens are ok, the course was very soft which was a change of pace for me. I was actually about to see where my ball hit the greens.

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

got a chance to play kapolei yesterday...course was in really nice shape and the greens ran very smooth. the only thing was there was a ton of ballmarks (unfixed) on the greens...i just wish that people would take the time to fix their ballmark and maybe one more. it only takes a second to fix your ballmark and it keeps our courses nice.

[quote name='blaine88' timestamp='1285483400' post='2714379']
got a chance to play kapolei yesterday...course was in really nice shape and the greens ran very smooth. the only thing was there was a ton of ballmarks (unfixed) on the greens...i just wish that people would take the time to fix their ballmark and maybe one more. it only takes a second to fix your ballmark and it keeps our courses nice.
[/quote]

totally agree, I am always fixing at least 3+ ball marks per green every time I play that course

• 3 months later...

Where should I play for my next off base course????

Kapolei at $55 or Makaha at $49.

Thanks in advance.

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer

I prefer Kapolei. I like the course better and the restaurant is significantly better.

As for Makaha. It depends on which course you are planning on playing. Makaha East is very short and not worth the drive IMO, but it has the "play it before it closes for good" thing going for it as it supposedly is going to close shortly to make room for some housing. The West (resort) course is challenging.

I like Makaha West because it's long and wide open BUT...I haven't been there in years and don't know how the conditions are. Kapolei has always been pretty nice looking. Maybe not the most exciting place to play because it's not the most adventurous design but you'll probably get your moneys worth better over there.

Well I didn't play the ones I want but did get a chance to play Royal Kunia. Course was nice. Fairways, sand, and tee boxes maintained well. The greens looked as is they had been sanded within the last couple week. They rolled well and you still could spin the ball being that they were really soft.

Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Machine M6 Inspirer

• 2 weeks later...

Played Kapolei today. Course was in pretty good condition considering they got blasted by rain the last few days. Round was very long - tee time 8:00 - didnt finish until 1:20 or so. Cart path only for the first 8 holes didnt help the round any. Greens were scuffed with all kinds of ball marks. Had to do fix some of those they were so bad. All in all was a fun round.

[quote name='rok78' timestamp='1295750203' post='2916205']
Was fun to finally get to play again today, even if the score sucked. But the year can only get better from today (I hope).
[/quote]

LOL...nice to have you back on a Saturday. Look at the bright side..there weren't too many foursomes in the nation not on the PGA today that had a S3 and a Superfast 2.0 to test. :D