2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MX-900 Experience

allstarsportsfan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wanted to like these irons since I've heard several good reviews about them. Don't have any on course experience with them but hit it on the range quite a bit (DG S300 shafts). Note that the range I go to, we hit off the grass, not mats. First impression was, these irons look really nice....wasn't too thrilled with the thickish topline but I was willing to look past that. I was hitting irons particularly well that day (tempo was right on, confidence high, accuracy sharp, etc.) and was flushing everything I hit. Unfortunately, no matter how well I hit the MX-900, the distance wasnt there compared to my old irons (Taylor Made LCG)...the trajectory was similar however (strange). Just to make sure it wasnt a fluke, I borrowed a MX-23 (same DG S300 shaft) and was hitting it the same distance and trajectory as my old irons. The small loss in distance didn't put me off but the feel of the 7 iron down to the long irons was for me very muted/dull. That did it for me and this set of irons are out of my candidate list of irons to replace my old set (the MX-23 replaced it on the list). I came back the next day and tried the MP-60 just for kicks (it wasn't even in my final list but just wanted to see the results out of curiosity)....I was shocked!!!, I was hitting it better than any irons I've tried in the past (it was shafted DG S300 as well). Even off center hits turned out OK. This totally changed my thinking about the next set of irons. My advice is, if you are a pretty decent iron player, then do yourself a favor and look at the MP-60s. I think you will come to the same conclusion as I did.

I came back the next day and tried the MP-60 just for kicks (it wasn't even in my final list but just wanted to see the results out of curiosity)....I was shocked!!!, I was hitting it better than any irons I've tried in the past (it was shafted DG S300 as well). Even off center hits turned out OK. This totally changed my thinking about the next set of irons. My advice is, if you are a pretty decent iron player, then do yourself a favor and look at the MP-60s. I think you will come to the same conclusion as I did.

interesting ! So would you say the MP-60 are more forgiving than the MX-23 ? Which of those two is easier to hit ?

I'll add my opinion to give you one from both sides of the fence.

I tried the 6 iron at the range and really liked it. So I ordered 5-PW with the 20* and 23* CLK Fli Hi's instead of the 3 and 4 iron.

When I started using them I HATED them. Actually let's put that into perspective - I HATED the 5 and 6. The 7 iron down are really nice clubs and I just wish they were all like that instead of the progressive hybrid - cavity back style that they are. It got to such a point that every time I left myself with a 5 iron distance I would hate having to hit it and never hit a good shot with them. And personally I would say stay away from them as they do nothing to improve your game.

I went back to a more "player" oriented iron and am soooo pleased that I did. I would say if you are planning on getting them, get a demo set and play a couple of rounds with them before forking out any $$$. I wish I'd done that - ended up costing me quite a bit of money in the end, but I couldn't be happier with my Tourstage irons.

EDIT: The CLK Fli Hi's were nice though - the 23* was especially easy to hit.

I came back the next day and tried the MP-60 just for kicks (it wasn't even in my final list but just wanted to see the results out of curiosity)....I was shocked!!!, I was hitting it better than any irons I've tried in the past (it was shafted DG S300 as well). Even off center hits turned out OK. This totally changed my thinking about the next set of irons. My advice is, if you are a pretty decent iron player, then do yourself a favor and look at the MP-60s. I think you will come to the same conclusion as I did.

interesting ! So would you say the MP-60 are more forgiving than the MX-23 ? Which of those two is easier to hit ?

I just came back from the range to try the MP-60 again (to validate my initial findings). My balance and tempo was off today but still hitting the MP-60 pretty well. I wouldn't say the MP-60 is more forgiving than the MX-23....design/engineering wise says that the MX-23 should be more forgiving. However, the MP-60 just fits my eye better and the balance with the S300 shaft suit me nicely I guess. So for me, It turned out that the MP-60 is better than the MX-23. Note that my experience with these irons are just from my range experiments, have not taken them out to the course yet....will do that before I buy. I have not ruled out the MX-23 yet, they are great irons and will give them another try this week.

I have the MX-17s which I love but because they're such a game improvement set, it's hard to work them like I want to be able to do. I went to every demo day I could in the spring to think I tried everything available but I kept coming back to the Muzunos.

I could not tell a real difference between the 17s and the 900s except the price (and the obvious looks). Paying twice as much for the same results just seems dumb, especially when they're both considered game improvement irons. Just for grins I tried the entire Mizuno line up and I have to agree with Maligaya concerning the 60s vs the 23s. The rep kept putting the 23s in my hands and I thought they worked well but there's something about their looks that just doesn't click for me so I kept picking up the 60s to hit. I have to say I loved them and found them easier to hit than I thought they would be, they seemed the same as the 23s to me and to top it off they look great.

As I said the Mizuno rep kept saying they weren't for someone at my level (low to mid 80s) but I can't help it, I'm drawn to them and will probably spring for a set before too much longer.

BTW, Discount Dans gave me a great price when I first started looking at them and will probably order from them when I can talk myself into doing it.

Mizuno.gif

I have been playing with the MX-900's 3-PW. My friend and pro had them with Exsar IS2 stiff shafts. When they were his, his comment was "I need all the help I can get."

My response was "If you need all the help you can get, I must need permission."

He now has MP-60's with NVpro stiff shafts. I am always tempted to move up, as I originally had Tommy Armour Evo V-25 blades. I love the way they look and feel to about the 5iron. However, the 3,4 and 5 in the MX-900's are just too easy. When I am really on, I can handle it, but now that I play maybe once a week and no longer practice everyday, I would only be kidding myself. Just last week I was comparing 3irons. If I put a good swing on the MP-60's I had reasonably good results. A good swing on the MX-900's yielded great results. Only fair swings and the results were still pretty good. Until I have the the time to devote daily, I am thankful for advanced technology and the Mizuno look and feel. Be realistic, don't let aesthetics stand in the way and keep you from enjoying the benefits awaiting you! The better I play, the better they look.

This is an update or reply to me!

The lure of those MP-60's forced me to try again and prove I should stay with my MX-900's. The problem is I was hitting crisp 7irons a little sharper with the MP-60's.

I was swinging well today and decided to try the 3iron again.

Surprise, just as sharp and crisp as the 7iron. Just when I felt comfortable that I can stop looking and be satisfied with my irons, this had to (happily) happen.

So cancel my earlier post. These have everything. Plenty of forgiveness and thin top line and smaller heads and OH SO SMOOTH. The MP-60's have it all and Aldila NVpro stiff graphite shafts 2degrees up and 2degrees strong. Perfect for me!

Now, I have two friends, both pro's, looking at something new by TM. If one gets them, the other is sure to follow. I'll sell my MX-900's and buy his MP-60's. Everybody happy.