Sky Caddie SG X

Why should I keep it?
Someone please convince me why I should keep my SG X and continue to pay a fee every year. Here are my issues and so far, my solutions.

1. In the middle of playing golf, my SG X will freeze up on me and I have to hold down the joystick and the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off. Then I have to turn it back on, wait for it to come up, then select my golf course again to get it working right. I have had to hit shots without being able to use the Sky Caddie because it takes too darn long to do all of this, plus it is embarrassing to tell a friend that the $400 range finder I bought is booting back up and I can tell them their distance if they wait a minute. No solution yet.

2. I try to log in to the Sky Caddie website and when I go to SYNC it, it tells me I have to download Sky Caddie Express first. Ok, but Sky Caddie Express will not work on a MAC computer unless it is running OS X 10.6 or later. I am running 10.5.8 so it will not work. Now I am assuming that in order for it to work right I will have to pay an additional $29 to download the newer version of the software from Apple. According to my computer, there are no software updates available. Now, in order to SYNC my Sky Caddie, I have to go open the program outside of the internet. No solution yet.

3. Many times during rounds of golf, it will not auto advance to the next hole. Solution, go to the scorecard, enter your score from the previous hole, then select the flagstick button in the lower right, select the proper hole, then continue.

4. If I decide that I am going to play more than 18 holes of golf, if I wanted to use the Sky Caddie, I would have to come home, charge it for 2-3 hours, then go back out and play. No solution yet.

I know, I am going to get the reply on here that links to the Sky Caddie website where you can go post your issues, and someone will tell you about how they are working on fixing those exact issues, and a few weeks later, there will be an update that supposedly fixes those issues, and then new ones will pop up.

My main question is, why would or should I continue to put up and pay for these issues when there are obviously other range finders out there that do not require yearly memberships and do not have as many, if any, issues in performance? $50 membership + $30 software update = almost half of a new range finder. Not to mention the $400 already shelled out for this misery. This is probably my last year of the Sky Caddie, what other range finders are better?

Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kchiefsfan' timestamp='1306868411' post='3275330']
Someone please convince me why I should keep my SG X and continue to pay a fee every year. Here are my issues and so far, my solutions.

1. In the middle of playing golf, my SG X will freeze up on me and I have to hold down the joystick and the power button for 5 seconds to turn it off. Then I have to turn it back on, wait for it to come up, then select my golf course again to get it working right. I have had to hit shots without being able to use the Sky Caddie because it takes too darn long to do all of this, plus it is embarrassing to tell a friend that the $400 range finder I bought is booting back up and I can tell them their distance if they wait a minute. No solution yet.

2. I try to log in to the Sky Caddie website and when I go to SYNC it, it tells me I have to download Sky Caddie Express first. Ok, but Sky Caddie Express will not work on a MAC computer unless it is running OS X 10.6 or later. I am running 10.5.8 so it will not work. Now I am assuming that in order for it to work right I will have to pay an additional $29 to download the newer version of the software from Apple. According to my computer, there are no software updates available. Now, in order to SYNC my Sky Caddie, I have to go open the program outside of the internet. No solution yet.

3. Many times during rounds of golf, it will not auto advance to the next hole. Solution, go to the scorecard, enter your score from the previous hole, then select the flagstick button in the lower right, select the proper hole, then continue.

4. If I decide that I am going to play more than 18 holes of golf, if I wanted to use the Sky Caddie, I would have to come home, charge it for 2-3 hours, then go back out and play. No solution yet.

I know, I am going to get the reply on here that links to the Sky Caddie website where you can go post your issues, and someone will tell you about how they are working on fixing those exact issues, and a few weeks later, there will be an update that supposedly fixes those issues, and then new ones will pop up.

My main question is, why would or should I continue to put up and pay for these issues when there are obviously other range finders out there that do not require yearly memberships and do not have as many, if any, issues in performance? $50 membership + $30 software update = almost half of a new range finder. Not to mention the $400 already shelled out for this misery. This is probably my last year of the Sky Caddie, what other range finders are better?

Thanks.
[/quote]

1. Hardware issue. Get ahold of Skygolf they will arrange for a replacement unit. Post on ClubSG they are very helpful in arranging replacments it seems.

2. Does SG say that the software would work with 10.5.8? Or is the minimum requirement 10.6. Sorry no MAC experience, but if the minimum requirement is 10.6, why would one expect an earlier version to work. I'm sure the windows version doesn't work with older versions as well.

3. This could be as simple as a menu setting, or it could be related to #1

4. See #1. I get 2 rounds easily out of an SGX, in fact almost 3 rounds, so that does not sound right.

Can't answer your later questions, I can only say IMO due to on site mapping process I feel that SG units are the most accurate compared to others, however all GPS's vary in accuracy depending on conditions. I've seen the same units be 10-12 yards apart at times, and dead on at other times. I'm happy to pay $30 a year for the service, instead of using measured map/photo interpretations/etc. But I also carry a 1600 ;).

There are other units, including those that offer full hole views and no yearly fees. I particularly liked the upro, except for the abysmal battery life and per course costs. The uPro MX may resolve the latter, but from early reports the battery situation has not changed. I have one sitting on my desk waiting on Callaway to get their act together on the registration/promode site.

Anyway, in the end, you can always vote with your wallet. The Garmin Apprach is nice, but the views are cartoonish imo and not very precise. The Sonnocaddie V series offers some of what you want, but is very bulky and not pocket friendly. The Golf Buddy World is worth investigating as well...

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='kchiefsfan' timestamp='1306868411' post='3275330']

Thanks.
[/quote]

You can call to customer service and get most of those issues fixed very quickly. I don't understand the $30 Software update fee you are talking about. I have never paid for a software update from SkyCaddie and I have been a member for 3 years now.

Battery Life I know that I changed my backlight to 80% and I get 36 holes very easy out of my SGX , you might want to try that to extend the battery.

I don't own a Mac so I can't help there.

Auto Hole advance works fine on my unit. I do know they have a timing function in the unit once you get inside of 100 yards that will trigger the Auto Hole Advance. Mine works like this. I get a question about ready for next hole ANswer yes or no. If Yes i enter a score and it movs to the next hole. Don't know what your settign are but that is how mine works.

You have to realize that SkyCaddie is the most accurate GPS on the market. I have played with freinds who have other devices and I have seen the difference in yardage and can be 10-15 yards off at times. Even for a 10 handicap like myself 10-15 yards is a big deal. so Be careful before you go get a different device, it could hurt your game in the long run..

Make sure you have the most up to date software on the device. Customer Service will help you out.. Give them a call.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your issues!

I am thinking of getting an SGX. From what I have read in other posts, forums and reviews most of the issues are hardware and seem to get resolve by replacing the unit (which SkyCaddie seem happy to do). It think it's just luck of the draw in getting a unit with no faults but from what I've read there must be quite a few with issues.

Just replace it until you get one that works. I agree it's a lot of money for something with so many issues but don't settle! Get one that works as they are miles beyond the competition if they function properly.

Also, they will get even better when they introduce the sensors for each club that records distances etc. Not sure on the release date yet.

For your Mac issue; you can update it easily if you have an internet connection. I can't remember with mine in front of me but on the desktop just go to the top left corner where the apple sign is and the drop down menu should have an option like 'search for updates'. It take 20 mins max.

Hope you get it sorted!

Ryan

All you have to do is read the reviews on the new Callaway MX and all the problems they are having and that should be enough! My SGX is the best part of my game.

Ratings and Reviews for the Callaway uPro MX GPS
Overall Customer Rating:
1.4 out of 5
1.4 out of 5
(8 reviews)
Write a review
Rating Snapshot
0% Rated this
13% Rated this
0% Rated this
0% Rated this
88% Rated this
Pros

Easy to Use1 vote
Features1 vote
Good Value1 vote
Quality1 vote

Cons

Poor Design5 votes
Quality4 votes
Durability3 votes
Difficult to Use2 votes

Sort Reviews By:
1 out of 5
1 out of 5
June 8, 2011
Callaway Upro gps
After working with the unit for several days I could not get it to operate as advertised. The touch screen did not respond most of the time. Never could get it to give me a yardage. Very frustrating to say the least. Have returned it.
Reviewed by:Cupcutter

Skill Level: Advanced
Where do you play most often? Municipal
How often do you play? Multiple times per week
Do you think this review was helpful?Flag Review as Inappropriate
Facebook Digg DelIcioUs Share this Review
4 out of 5
4 out of 5
June 7, 2011
How 'bout a little patience?
Bought mine...works great in the "Basic" and 'Go" modes. No problem with battery endurance. Yes, I would like to have the Pro Mode features like I have on my earlier uPro model but I am willing to wait because I know Callaway will get it right.
Pros: Features, Quality, Easy to Use, Good Value
Reviewed by:Pablomadera

Skill Level: Intermediate
Where do you play most often? Other public
Helpfulness Rating: 3 out of 4
1 out of 5
1 out of 5
June 6, 2011
Your FIRED !!!!
Upon receipt of product, I had the unit in the return UPS mail to Golfsmith for credit to my credit card.
The MX unit gave me very inaccurate yardage readings, plus the software was not on line.
I later purchased a Sky Caddie unit which provides very accurate yardages and is simple to operate. Very disappointed in this Callaway product. It just didn't live up to the hype in my opinion.
Cons: Quality, Poor Design
Reviewed by:Buffalo1

Skill Level: Intermediate
Where do you play most often? No preference
How often do you play? Multiple times per month
Helpfulness Rating: 0 out of 1
1 out of 5
1 out of 5
June 5, 2011
Dont waste your money!
Very light weight, feels as if it is going to break.
Screen is not very responsive, have to touch a feature several times to get it to run.
Only works now with distance to green, GoMode, and that is not very accurate. I have 2 other brands that are spot on from the sprinkler heads. Callaway is off by as much as 4 yards. I wanted to try this new gadget and am very disapointed. Callaway does not have the ProMode working yet and it doesnt look like they will. They keep saying how sorry they are for the site not working but that is not good. It has not been for over 10 days.
I would not tell a friend or ememy to buy this gps.
Cons: Quality, Poor Design, Durability
Reviewed by:Anonymous
Skill Level: Advanced
Where do you play most often? Private
Helpfulness Rating: 0 out of 1
Next Page
Reviews: 1-4 of 8

Just from your freezing issue, i would have to say you have a faulty unit. This is a hardware not a software version problem. I know you probably don't want to hear it, but you should contact SkyCaddie and get them to replace the unit. most people have found them to be very responsive.

The battery life issue may be resolved, as stated earlier, by adjusting your backlighting. This is like most of the smartphones out there where people complain about battery life. Turn off the items you don't need and you will see an increase in the battery life. Like a couple of eralier people mentioned, I get at least two full rounds out of mine and have done close to 3 between charge before. that was after I decreased the backlight.

I have had an SG3 and now a SGX. I've been lucky enough that I have gotten good units out of the box both times. I have found it to be the most accurate of the bunch and very close if not right on when compared with a laser sight.

Besides all of that, Being a CHIEFS fan, I would think you would be used to paying for something, just to get dissapointed in the end. Haha. Sorry had to throw that in there, my wife and mother-in-law are HUGE Chiefs fans.

I'll trade you my SG 5 and some cash for your sgx. My 5 is in great shape with a new battery, two protective cases and a screen protector on it. Never had a problem syncing my 5 to my MacBook. Let me know...

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH