2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

CG16 Tour Iron Review .....WOW!

First I'd like to thank Cleveland Golf, Sakman & GolfWRX for the opportunity to give an unbiased review on the Cleveland CG 16 Tour Irons.

When I think of Cleveland Golf the first thing that comes to mind is wedges......actually an image of the 588 wedge pops up in my head. I've also had experience playing Cleveland Drivers with the Launcher Series and most recently the TL310. But to this point I've never owned a set of Cleveland Irons.....which is weird because I've played about everything out there. I'll expound later in the review on why I believe I've never tried a set.

OK, let's get the review going.

Set Makeup

4-PW Dynamic Gold S300's

Background

A little on myself. I'm a 9.5 hdcp with a driver swing speed in the 107-109 range. I've always had a good short game but have struggled with directional control with my irons and driver....distances are usually spot on but I tend to miss the green/fairway by just enough that I have to scramble to save par. I'm definitely a sweeper and take a very small and shallow divot. My normal shot is a slight draw with a medium trajectory.

Appearance

I was walking out to my mailbox when I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of a site that all GolfWRX members love to see......the Fedex Truck. I immediately ran inside with my new box and opened it up. The first thing I noticed was the satin finish.....and almost sanded look that's very dull.....perfect. I've never been a fan of shiny chrome irons that blind me. The topline was a little thicker than what I was imagining for this type of iron but was still ok. The sole was pretty narrow with a nice trailing edge grind that makes it play even more narrow. At address, I was very surprised at the lack of offset....again, perfect. But now my mind starting thinking.....thin sole, minimal offset, the cavity was pretty non-technical.....am I going to be able to hit these things.......

Feel

And so I was off to the range with my new irons. Pulled out the pitching wedge first and took a whack.....solid shot on a medium-high trajectory but with an interesting feel. It almost felt like I didn't even hit the ball....very smooth, not Mizuno soft but not clicky like Titleist either. Proceeded to hit several more that felt the exact same way with the same flight. The grooves on the face were trapping a lot of grass which I think was contributing to the feel I'm describing. I then pulled out the 7 iron and proceeded to hit the same kind of shot......very forgiving....surprisingly forgiving. The sole design glided right through the turf.....and the turf was pretty hard. I then proceeded to try and hit some cuts with the 7 iron and caught one off of the toe which I could immediately sense. Not overly harsh but you can definitely tell where on the face you're hitting the ball.

Forgiveness & Workability

The 7 iron shot I mentioned above didn't really cut....basically went straight. I again tried to put a cut swing on it with maybe a yard or two tail to the right.....these things want to go straight first and foremost. I then pulled out the 4 iron. Normally my 4 iron is reserved for getting out of the woods by I thought I'd give a swing......shocked, nice medium-high trajectory that carried a good ways. I think the zip grooves are helping me keep the ball in the air with the long irons.

Performance

Well, I decided to pack it up and call it a night.....initial impressions were very favorable. But the real test was coming up with an actual round of golf. Played a pretty easy track that was firm with fairly fast greens. First approach shot I took aim at the flag with my PW and ended up 6 feet left of the cup....but most importantly on the green. Shot after shot continued like this with my confidence improving. Towards the end of the round I felt like I could take aim with irons directly at the pin.....I've had other sets like this (MP60's) but they weren't nearly as forgiving as these. I've also had more forgiving sets but felt like I lost that spot on accuracy. Shot my lowest round out so far this year with a 78 and was hitting some terrible tee shots.

Conclusion

As I mentioned earlier in the review, I've never owned a set of Cleveland irons which I believe is due to a lack of presence in Golf Stores in terms of Marketing......because it certainly isn't the performance holding these bad boys back. I think this set is the perfect tweener set for 5-15 handicappers. The lower caps will want more workability and the higher handicaps probably won't be looking at these anyways. All in all, I 'm thoroughly impressed and plan to keep these in the bag all season...........seriously, I do.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ForeRL' timestamp='1307760796' post='3299472']
Cleveland irons always surprise me. I've never owned a set but whenever I hit them at a demo day, I'm always surprised how good they feel. I always play forged irons, so whenever I pick up a cast iron, I always thinks this won't feel good. But cleveland irons feel good
[/quote]

Yea, feel wise they remind me of my all time favorite cast iron, the r7 tp's.

Actually they also play very similar but in a slighty smaller head.

I'm playing my second full round with them tomorrow and will give an update. I had a second range session with them on Thursday with similar results. I know I'm in honeymoon phase but only a few sets of irons (AP2, R7tp, MP60, S56's) have wow'd me so much so early in the process.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1307795405' post='3299845']
[quote name='ForeRL' timestamp='1307760796' post='3299472']
Cleveland irons always surprise me. I've never owned a set but whenever I hit them at a demo day, I'm always surprised how good they feel. I always play forged irons, so whenever I pick up a cast iron, I always thinks this won't feel good. But cleveland irons feel good
[/quote]

Yea, feel wise they remind me of my all time favorite cast iron, the r7 tp's.

Actually they also play very similar but in a slighty smaller head.

I'm playing my second full round with them tomorrow and will give an update. I had a second range session with them on Thursday with similar results. I know I'm in honeymoon phase but only a few sets of irons (AP2, R7tp, MP60, S56's) have wow'd me so much so early in the process.
[/quote]
That's a good call - they are quite a bit similar to the R7 TP. I was impressed by them as well. Congrats on your new sticks!

I dont know why i clicked on this thread... I love my CG7 tours but you're making me think i should trade them in, I love the satin finish and the laser milled grooves. Also it seems like Cleveland clubs are extremely underrated by a lot of the people on here. I personally love them and my i play pretty much all clevelands except my driver, putter, and hybrid.

Played my second full round with these today and had the exact same results.....my swing wasn't as solid today but I was still getting a good flight.

I'm loving these irons.....the turf interaction is absolutely perfect and they get through the rough with ease. The only issue I've had is sometimes, especially in the long irons, I get a little too much spin which causes the ball to balloon in to the wind. I can tweak this with my swing but thought I'd mention it.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

Played my fourth full round with them yesterday and I get more impressed with each round. I feel like I can go right at the pins with these and distance control is spot on. I'm surprised these don't get more hype.........

After 4 rounds the only drawback is topline.........wish they were closer to the S56 topline. But I can't argue with the performance, outstanding.

For anybody on the fence, the CG 16 Tours are the perfect tweener iron. If you are a sweeper, the sole grind on these are awesome.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• 3 weeks later...

Shot my lowest round of my life yesterday with these......73, +1. I was actually one under heading in to 18 and double bogeyed the last hole......got a little nervous as I've never shot under par. My lowest round prior to this was a 78. I hit every par 3 in reg. and birdied two of them. The irons combined with a prov1x are money. There's not a wow factor with these, they just flat out perform.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='cotterm' timestamp='1309812889' post='3364025']
Great round. I am from westerville also. What course did you shoot the 73?
[/quote]

Buck Ridge in Marysville......first time I've played that course as well. Not a super hard or long course but the greens can be tricky.

Glad to see another Westerville WRX'er!

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1309813617' post='3364051']
[quote name='cotterm' timestamp='1309812889' post='3364025']
Great round. I am from westerville also. What course did you shoot the 73?
[/quote]

Buck Ridge in Marysville......first time I've played that course as well. Not a super hard or long course but the greens can be tricky.

Glad to see another Westerville WRX'er!
[/quote]

Actually in the market for new irons right now. The cg16 is one that I have been considering. Hadn't considered the tour version though. Handicap bounces between 8-10. What irons were you playing before the cg 16 tours?

Last set was R9's which were only in the bag for around a month. Prior to that I played a set of AP2's almost all last season.

If you are a decent ball striker I'd go for the tours.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='cotterm' timestamp='1309817795' post='3364213']
[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1309815952' post='3364125']
Last set was R9's which were only in the bag for around a month. Prior to that I played a set of AP2's almost all last season.

If you are a decent ball striker I'd go for the tours.
[/quote]

Compare them to AP2's?

[/quote]

They are very different irons. The CG16 Tour headsize is smaller, similar topline and very different soles. The leading edge on the AP2's is somewhat rounded off while the leading edge on the CG16 Tour's is pretty sharp. The CG's also have a more relieved trailing edge grind.

I get a slightly lower flight with the CG's and much better turf interaction. I loved the AP2's but I think they work better for a steeper swing....and I'm a sweeper. A slight edge in the forgiveness category to the AP2's. Feel is just ok on both. The CG's I believe have a little less offset.

Both are great irons but for my swing type the CG's work better. I just never felt like I could catch the ball crisply with the AP2's.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• 2 weeks later...

Still going strong with the CG 16 Tours.....wishing I had a little more forgiveness in 4 and 5 iron but other than that these things are so solid.

If I could just get my drives in play.......

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

My brother in law just switched to these yesterday. He is absolutely POUNDING these.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='cotterm' timestamp='1311101025' post='3404921']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1311100767' post='3404912']
My brother in law just switched to these yesterday. He is absolutely POUNDING these.
[/quote]

Whats his handicap, and how is his ball striking? digger or sweeper?
[/quote]
He's a 15 and a digger. He makes a decent size divot. Used more of a blade until these and it made him deadly accurate because of the added forgiveness.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='nteam' timestamp='1311894628' post='3432590']
Great review!

I'm currently gaming some ping s56s (12 hcp, sweeper like you). How do the cg16 tours compare? Also, if your becoming a Cleveland guy and need help with your driver, try the Launcher sl 290.....best driver I've ever tried, and I've tried a lot!
[/quote]

The S56's are probably my favorite set of irons. They play very similar to the CG16 Tour's but with thinner top line and narrower sole......the S56's also feel a little better at impact. I would give a nod in the forgiveness category to the CG16's but not by much. If money were on the line I'd play the CG16's because of the slight edge in forgiveness but the S56's are a solid set of irons. The S56's flight a little lower as well. If I were a 0-5 hdcp, I'd have the S56's in the bag.

Taylormade Imola 8 35"

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using cg16 tours all season. I have been medalist in 3 different qualifiers with these. Most recently qualifying medalist with a 69 for usga sr am. These irons are amazing!Forgiving, workable,solid.and long. I have two sets both with project x shafts. I had one set ground down. top line made thinner, hosel shaved to give the appearance of less offset,sole made thinner,,the others are stock. Both sets are great, they blow the ap2's out of the water. Better feel,way longer!better turf interaction. My only complaint is the lofts are stamped on the soles...RINKY DINK!! So...I had them ground off. I have been playing 30 plus years and these are the best all around performing irons I have used period.
Ian

Awesome review! I've been contemplating an iron upgrade from the '08 Big Bertha's, and these might be the perfect fit. It's certainly not ball-striking that is holding my game back, it's those few yards right or left that keep me off of the green. I never set out to be a Cleveland guy, but that's becoming the case. I still kill the HiBore driver and 3 Wood, and just picked up a 60 degree zip wedge this summer.

My iron purchase may have moved up a few months off of this review. Thanks again.