2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Trouble hitting the 585H

cubuffs

As I have posted before, I picked up a 19* Titleist 585H two weeks ago to replace my reliable (but quick to go left at times) 503H. I finally got a chance to take it out twice this weekend and have been very unimpressed with the way it has performed for me thus far. The good part is that is has eliminated my misses to the left, but now I continually miss bad to the right (the best way to describe this is a push fade). This is hard for me to figure out, as I played very well in both rounds (14 of 18 greens and 12 of 14 fairways today with the two misses coming with the 585H). I have always played a draw and that was the ball flight for every other club in bag over the last two days.

I currently have the Aldila NV85 Stiff shaft, which was the same shaft I played in the 503H, so I don't think that is the culprit. Is it possible that the bore through on this club is making the club play stiffer than normal. My swing speed with the driver is between 100-108 depending on how hard I go after it.

I am always the first to admit that it is Indian and not the arrow that matters, but this is hard to figure out considering how well my ball striking has been this weekend. Has anyone else had simular experiences?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not a bore thru so that cant be the problem

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

Ok, played another round today and continued to have the same problems. This club has cost me at least 8 strokes (4 lost balls) over the last three days.

Mapleleaf, as for having an off day I played very well all three rounds shooting 78, 80, 78 (7.1 handicap) and this is the ONLY club in my bag that I am not hitting with my typical right to left draw. My ballstriking has been very solid with only a hit and miss putter and the lost balls mentioned above preventing me from going low (at least for me).

I guess I need to spend some quality range time when I get back home to see if this something I can work through. Maybe this club is just not a fit for me. I really want to like this club as I love the way it looks, but can't continue to :idhitit:

I think I have the answer for you. I just got my 585 19 w/ v2 x flex. You have to make sure you hit the ball in the middle or top of the face. If you hit it anywhere near the leading edge, the ball goes right. I had this happen quite a bit when I was first hitting it, then I figured it out, and the ball came off nice and high with either a slight fade or draw.

Alright, here are the best solutions I can come up with here.

First- what are your iron specs? Are you a plus length? Upright lie? if either of those factors are in play you could be digging the toe a bit.

Second- it may not be the club for you. 585h is a hybrid, but its still a titleist. If you hit the 503.h well god bless you, as I could never get that club to work for me. If you really want something that'll blow your mind go get a cobra baffler pro. Its a much better trajectory for most players, comes with a cobra speeder hybrid shaft, has no offset, ITS BENDABLE FOR LIE ADJUSTMENTS, and its got a little more useable clubface than the 585h.

Third- you could just be having a bit of trouble adapting from the 503. The 503 was a little bit draw biased in my (and quite a few others whom I've run into) opinion.

Well, there's my two cents.... Just thought I might throw out my opinion...

Thanks for all of the replies. Just trying to see if anyone else has experienced anything simular. If nothing else, I have learned a valuable lesson which is to never replace a club in your bag during a trip without a) hitting it enough to get comfortable with it, and b) bringing the old club as a backup just in case. I guess I have done this so many times before, that I just didn't think I would have the problems that I have had with this club.

Metz1182, as for the answers to your questions, yes I have always played irons that are extended +1 and upright +2* from Mizuno's standard specs. As for adjusting from the 503H, this is why I was so eagerly anticipating the 585H, as I too had problems with a the "draw" bias of the club. Was looking forward to trajectory of the 503 without the inherit ability to miss to the left. May have to look at the Cobra if things don't get better with what is in the bag.

Shortknocker, will try this when I hit the range later this week. Hopefully I can figure something out, or I may have to take your advice Mouth1 and remove it from the bag.

I have also been less that impressed with the 585H/NV 85 Stiff. I haven't noticed a directional bias one way or the other but to me it just seems a bit bland, dead and blah! My Sonartech MD/904HB combo is light years ahead of it in both performance and feel. I'd say similar things re the Adams and Cobra hybrids. They both feel better to me than the 585H.

Its such a shame because the club looks so bloody GOOD and the rest of my bag bar the Hybrid is Titleist equipment. Defintley biggest equipment disapointment this year.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I couldn't be happier with my 585H with a DG S300 shaft. I hit the first two shots with it a little toward the toe and low on the face, and they squirted low and right. After that, I've hit it great. I think the sweet spot is a little more toward the heel than in most hybrids, which makes it less of a hook machine.

I've had the exact same problem with my new 585 NV 85, it's the only club in the bag that goes right. 2 OB and one in the water on it's first outing! Not much better since (2 weeks in the bag now) It's OK when I flush it, but anything less than the perfect swing goes right, sometimes way right! Maybe something to the previous post on catching it on the face middle to high. Thinking about moving to S300 shaft for better results and less distance (it goes a ton when hit straight).

My Bag

Titleist 905R 9.5 NV 65S

Titleist 904F 15 NV 75S

Titleist 585H 19 NV 85S

Titliest 755 4-PW Tri-Spec S (soon to be DG S300) or 735.cm 4-PW DG S300

Titleist Vokey 52

Titleist Vokey SM 56 and 60

Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom

Titleist NXT Tour

i wish i could say i was suprised by this post, or any other post complaining of low ball flight/push/fades/lack of forgiveness with the 585h and 906f2 fairways...seems like evey time Titleist intro's a new product, people rush out to buy them without hitting them based on their good looks, only to be disappointed with the results. I think you really need to be a player to play most of Titleist's stuff, be able to really put a good move on the ball. Still, i hope they work out for you in the end...

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux