2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Otey Crisman Putter

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently got a Otey Crisman mallet putter witha hickory shaft. It's stamped USA on the bottom and has a signature, like the one pictured, and HB 70 on the back. I began researching the club and believe the HB stands for Hillerich and Brasby which later went on to become Powerbilt but was earlier a part of what is now Louisville Slugger (bat mfg). I have sent a message to Louisville Slugger to find out if I am on the right track. I have read that Otey Crisman III has a putter plant today in Selma, AL that still makes mallet head hickory shafted putters but am still searching for confirmation. In checking a few websites; Youtube; e-Bay; and others it appears that these putters were used in the 1940's and into the 60's and were quite popular. I haven't tried mine yet but will this week. Prices range from around $20-$60 but the markings on what I have found have many variations and not sure what they mean or understand their history and significance. There's more info on [url="http://www.usamericainc.com"]www.usamericainc.com[/url] page 6 I found. Here is the link to Youtube on the man himself. [url="http://youtu.be/j5BIOeWfcq4"]http://youtu.be/j5BIOeWfcq4[/url][color="#000000"]
[b]Otey Crisman Golf Company was founded in the summer of 1946 when Otey Crisman, Jr., a touring professional golfer from Selma, Alabama, was preparing for the US Open qualifier which was to be held that year in Birmingham, Alabama. He was scoring poorly with a blade putter commonly used at the time, but had an idea for a mallet style putter which he felt might correct his problems. He whittled a model of what he had in mind, took it to a foundry in his home town of Selma, had them cast him a head of soft aluminum, stuck a hickory shaft on it and proceeded to qualify fourth in the nation for the 1946 U.S. Open. [/b][/color][left][color="#000000"][size="3"][b]What he had stumbled upon was the concept known today as face balance and enlarged "sweet spot." As he went around the Country playing tournaments that year the local club professionals would ask him to send them a dozen for their shop if he decided to market them. After several months on tour taking orders for his mallet he realized he could make more money selling his putter then playing with it. Thus Otey Crisman Golf Company was founded, and 51 years later Otey's son, Otey Crisman, III, runs the shop and continues to make hickory shafted putters the way his father taught him. [/b][/size][/color][/left] [left][color="#000000"][size="3"][b][b]Today's players use steel because they feel it gives them a "technological" advantage. Wrong! Of course steel and graphite give a substantial advantage over hickory on the Irons and Woods where one wants to generate speed and power. However putting is feel and control. And nothing transmits the feel of stroking a putt and softly striking the ball like hickory. Also, hickory putters are extremely beautiful. [/b][/b][/size][/color][/left] [left][color="#000000"][size="3"][b][b]Otey Crisman Golf Company is the last company that makes acknowledged "tour quality" hickory shaft blade and mallet putters. And a May 1993 Golf Digest article on famous putters listed the Otey Crisman "...gooseneck mallet shapes, accompanied by a trademark hickory shaft and leather grip" with the likes of Bobby Jones' Calamity Jane, the Wilson 8802, and the Titleist Bulls Eye as putters to "have entered the realm of legend over the years." In fact 5 masters have been won with Otey Crisman putters, and at the 1957 Masters, of the 85 contestants participating, 27 played with Otey.[/b][/b][/size][/color][/left] [left][color="#000000"][size="3"][b][b]Otey Crisman putters are still hand crafted in Selma, Alabama by their skilled craftsmen, some of whom have been with the Company over 30 years. So when you own an Otey, whether it was made in 1946 or 1998, you own a legend.[/b][/b][/size][/color][/left][color="#000000"]

[b]Otey Crisman Golf Company was founded in the summer of 1946 when Otey Crisman, Jr., a touring professional golfer from Selma, Alabama, was preparing for the US Open qualifier which was to be held that year in Birmingham, Alabama. He was scoring poorly with a blade putter commonly used at the time, but had an idea for a mallet style putter which he felt might correct his problems. He whittled a model of what he had in mind, took it to a foundry in his home town of Selma, had them cast him a head of soft aluminum, stuck a hickory shaft on it and proceeded to qualify fourth in the nation for the 1946 U.S. Open. [/b][/color][left][color="#000000"][size="3"][b]What he had stumbled upon was the concept known today as face balance and enlarged "sweet spot." As he went around the Country playing tournaments that year the local club professionals would ask him to send them a dozen for their shop if he decided to market them. After several months on tour taking orders for his mallet he realized he could make more money selling his putter then playing with it. Thus Otey Crisman Golf Company was founded, and 51 years later Otey's son, Otey Crisman, III, runs the shop and continues to make hickory shafted putters the way his father taught him. [/b][/size][/color][/left] [left][color="#000000"][size="3"][b][b]Today's players use steel because they feel it gives them a "technological" advantage. Wrong! Of course steel and graphite give a substantial advantage over hickory on the Irons and Woods where one wants to generate speed and power. However putting is feel and control. And nothing transmits the feel of stroking a putt and softly striking the ball like hickory. Also, hickory putters are extremely beautiful. [/b][/b][/size][/color][/left] [left][color="#000000"][size="3"][b][b]Otey Crisman Golf Company is the last company that makes acknowledged "tour quality" hickory shaft blade and mallet putters. And a May 1993 Golf Digest article on famous putters listed the Otey Crisman "...gooseneck mallet shapes, accompanied by a trademark hickory shaft and leather grip" with the likes of Bobby Jones' Calamity Jane, the Wilson 8802, and the Titleist Bulls Eye as putters to "have entered the realm of legend over the years." In fact 5 masters have been won with Otey Crisman putters, and at the 1957 Masters, of the 85 contestants participating, 27 played with Otey.[/b][/b][/size][/color][/left] [left][color="#000000"][size="3"][b][b]Otey Crisman putters are still hand crafted in Selma, Alabama by their skilled craftsmen, some of whom have been with the Company over 30 years. So when you own an Otey, whether it was made in 1946 or 1998, you own a legend.[/b][/b][/size][/color][/left]

• 3 years later...

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1429536295' post='11396891']
If you post a picture or better yet send me pictures of the head, shaft and grip to [email protected] I will get you an answer. Otey III works for me.
[/quote]

Tad-

There is one Otey Crisman putter that had an Aluminum square shaft and the Brass flange similar to an HBA- To my knowledge, it was the 69 AT model.

It was used by Arnold Palmer protege Jack Lewis Jr. in that National Team championship (after Arnie and Jack broke up) .

Haven't ever seen a LH 69AT, but now have the Otey components to consider making one -Square Aluminum shaft, Brass flange

Would you and Otey III consider doing it, or is this (non-hickory work) out of the scope of services you provide?

D Ensign-

Any Otey Crisman putter from this era should have a gold (It's an Otey!) band around the shaft, just below the grip.

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1429536295' post='11396891']
If you post a picture or better yet send me pictures of the head, shaft and grip to [email protected] I will get you an answer. Otey III works for me.
[/quote]
Hi
I can't seem to post pics so I'm sending an email, any info would be much appreciated thanks, the heads not in the best condition but I,m sure it,ll come up good.
Thanks Tim

• 3 months later...

I saw this thread and wondered if you could help me also.

My dad passed away earlier this year. He was an avid golfer. As executor for his estate, my job is to put a value on his possessions. He owned an Otey III putter with a Danny Edwards Royal Grip. The shaft appears to be hickory. On the head is "320HB Otey III U.S.A."

I checked out the www.usamericainc.com site; they make the 320HB and charge $155 for it (not sure about what sort of grip they come with).

But Dad's isn't new. Any idea how to figure its value? I'll post some photos.[attachment=2894374:20150806_142154.jpg][attachment=2894380:20150806_142506.jpg][attachment=2894400:20150806_142413.jpg][attachment=2894402:20150806_142635.jpg]

Here's an ebay listing of Otey Crisman putters that have sold:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/sch/Clubs-/115280/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=otey%20crisman&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684"]http://www.ebay.com/sch/Clubs-/115280/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=otey%20crisman&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684[/url]

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1438961976' post='12095834']
Here's an ebay listing of Otey Crisman putters that have sold:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/sch/Clubs-/115280/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=otey%20crisman&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684"]http://www.ebay.com/...=p2045573.m1684[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, I had seen those. The 320HB wasn't listed there. Was hoping someone here could enlighten me on that particular model.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I played today at the purported oldest course in North America -- Niagara-on-the-Lake Golf Club -- a Stanley Thompson design that was originally laid out in the 1890's on an old militia gunnery range. We were paired up with another couple. The gentleman, Terry was sporting an Otey Crisman brass blade. It was certainly a handsome implement! He had very good distance control with it even though he remarked the greens were very quick (stimping 12.5).

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Tad-

As you know, thanks to you, Otey Crisman III and I corresponded earlier this year.

Otey told me Arnold Palmer used an Otey Crisman putter at one of the Masters Tournaments in the '50s. He didn't tell me which one, though I know Palmer won in '58.
Do you know which one it was?

Yes, I know Cary Middlecoff used an Otey, and also won a Masters and a few other majors with it.

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1441374983' post='12262618']
Good putters. Won many many tourneys. O III still makes them in modern weights
[/quote]

Silly me; I never thought to ask to roll a few with Terry's Otey. Some how, my intention to inquire as to the origins of his particular putter even got way laid with our game. It would have been nice to have a side-by-side comparison with my original Zing that I was using that day. I guess that's what happens when you get caught up in back-to-back [i]"challenging"[/i] holes. :swoon2:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa