Beginning my try at duplicating Hogan's Swing

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my friends stopped by this morning before work while I was working on the swing. He had the "golf bible" in hand acting as a priest, reading it aloud and pushing his palm against my forehead trying to "save" me lol. Kept yelling "it's in the book my son!!!!! All ya gotta do is read it!" Yeah, it was a funny gag at the time, but my stinkin hands all blistered and gettin up an hour early to practice the waggle is no laughing matter! Can't wait to get him to the course to take his $30!!!! And yep Bruce, if you're readin this, I'm talkin the talk!!

I'm at the Atlanta Braves game right now sitting on the third base line 7 rows from the field. Sad to day that I no longer have any feeling for baseball. I played intensely all through elementary, middle, and high school, but have no idea who the current players are or what the standings look like. The only thing that's turnin me on is this FINE lookin green grass!! Whew! Amazing. I'm also intently focused on both pitchers mechanics, and every batters swing. Watching their right elbow, and how it tucks into the right hip. veeeeeeeery hogan-like.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1313801547' post='3503733']
I'm at the Atlanta Braves game right now sitting on the third base line 7 rows from the field. Sad to day that I no longer have any feeling for baseball. I played intensely all through elementary, middle, and high school, but have no idea who the current players are or what the standings look like. The only thing that's turnin me on is this FINE lookin green grass!! Whew! Amazing. I'm also intently focused on both pitchers mechanics, and every batters swing. Watching their right elbow, and how it tucks into the right hip. veeeeeeeery hogan-like.
[/quote]

The most Hogan-like things here are when the batters are digging in to the box, and they do the small half swing, when the bat goes from shoulder level to the plate. Reminds me of the Hogan vid where he says "well, the most important uhhhh.....thing in the golf swing to me, is the movement of the lower body". Then he does the "baseball-style" swings explaining how the lower body starts the swing.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1313804973' post='3503861']
[/quote]

The most Hogan-like things here are when the batters are digging in to the box, and they do the small half swing, when the bat goes from shoulder level to the plate. Reminds me of the Hogan vid where he says "well, the most important uhhhh.....thing in the golf swing to me, is the movement of the lower body". Then he does the "baseball-style" swings explaining how the lower body starts the swing.
[/quote]

It's been conjectured many times over the years that both Sam Byrd and Ted Williams had some influence on Hogan. Byrd was Babe Ruth's teammate and defensive replacement/pinch runner and the only ballplayer ever to win a PGA tour event. He played for about 6 years in MLB and over 10 on the PGA tour I believe. According to Jimmy Ballard, he and Hogan were close friends and talked golf swing quite a bit (so I was told by a Ballard trained instructor years ago). It's alleged that Hogan also had conversations with Ted Williams about the baseball swing. Hogan talks about swinging the club like a baseball bat in his 1985 Golf Digest interview with Nick Seitz.

Do a search of Ted Williams on this site. We had a lively thread on this about a year ago

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1313806311' post='3503927']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's been conjectured many times over the years that both Sam Byrd and Ted Williams had some influence on Hogan. Byrd was Babe Ruth's teammate and defensive replacement/pinch runner and the only ballplayer ever to win a PGA tour event. He played for about 6 years in MLB and over 10 on the PGA tour I believe. According to Jimmy Ballard, he and Hogan were close friends and talked golf swing quite a bit (so I was told by a Ballard trained instructor years ago). It's alleged that Hogan also had conversations with Ted Williams about the baseball swing. Hogan talks about swinging the club like a baseball bat in his 1985 Golf Digest interview with Nick Seitz.

Do a search of Ted Williams on this site. We had a lively thread on this about a year ago
[/quote]

Ahhhhhh.......THANKS! Just checked out the Ted Williams video on youtube. Wow......amazing elbow action.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2XVoGQ9_6Q[/media]

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1313814247' post='3504212']
[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1313806311' post='3503927']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ahhhhhh.......THANKS! Just checked out the Ted Williams video on youtube. Wow......amazing elbow action.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2XVoGQ9_6Q[/media]
[/quote]

Is it fair to say that that right elbow motion of Ted Williams is mainly a function of the right hand grip, which is way different in a golf grip whether strong or otherwise?

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1313773127' post='3502469']
Coworkers are requesting that I put a video up of my complete swing to see the progress (actually they said " to laugh at the progress). Will definitely get to the range or course and get a " Take 2" swing recorded this weekend, no matter how funny it looks lol.
[/quote]

Didn't get a chance to do the range or course this weekend, so I just did a few swings in the basement.

7i DTL

Takeaway is much too far inside.
Transition is over-the-top
Pivot doesn't keep moving.

During practice, if I pause at the top for 2-3 seconds, everything comes together nicely; no over-the-top.Gotta figure out how to make the same result when making a full, non-stop swing as is in this video. Whew......I have a loooooong way to go. I do notice a difference in my follow-thru....its a lot higher; I can no longer swing a hybrid, or 5w, or 3w in the basement because of the club now hitting the ceiling. This was not happening in the past.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTTP4jxOyU[/media]

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1313983882' post='3508524']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1313773127' post='3502469']
Coworkers are requesting that I put a video up of my complete swing to see the progress (actually they said " to laugh at the progress). Will definitely get to the range or course and get a " Take 2" swing recorded this weekend, no matter how funny it looks lol.
[/quote]

Didn't get a chance to do the range or course this weekend, so I just did a few swings in the basement.

7i DTL

Takeaway is much too far inside.
Transition is over-the-top
Pivot doesn't keep moving.

During practice, if I pause at the top for 2-3 seconds, everything comes together nicely; no over-the-top.Gotta figure out how to make the same result when making a full, non-stop swing as is in this video. Whew......I have a loooooong way to go. I do notice a difference in my follow-thru....its a lot higher; I can no longer swing a hybrid, or 5w, or 3w in the basement because of the club now hitting the ceiling. This was not happening in the past.

[/quote]

Frames 3 thru 4: During the takeaway, my right shoulder is getting real high compared to Hogans.

Frame 9 - Hogans left side/shoulder is leaning more backwards; I am leaning towards the target. His right elbow is tucked into the right side just as that Arizona Diamondbacks closer pitcher did; mine is going inwards, just not tucked into the side enough.

The only thing I feel good about the "Take 2 DTL" swing is that my head is staying down more. The only thing matching Hogan right now is my hat, and maybe part of the finish.

Take 3 swing. 8-22-11. 7:45am before heading to work. 7i DTL.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhoAW6aikcc[/media]

In the 'Take 3" swing, focusing on the takeaway. Trying to understand why right shoulder keeps rising while taking it back. Gotta do more to keep right shoulder down.

The funniest part of this video is swing #3, where I wanted to really FEEL my elbow jabbing me into my side during the downswing; doing this caused the club to move in towards me, which moved it away from the ball. I hit it just off the toe, and ball went flying sideways and bounced like a pinball around the garage, including into the ceiling above, which is our master bedroom, where my wife is lying in the bed. lol, I thought I had put my eye out. This is where my Mom would have said, "Mr. Anthony, you know we don't hit or throw in this house!!

The part you don't hear is when my wife yells "What are you [size="3"][b]DOING[/b] [/size]down there????? The sane people are trying to SLEEP!!!!!!!!"

LOLOLOL!!! I may have to set up a secret camera while I'm practicing to catch her hilarious reactions and comments!

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1314022566' post='3509209']
Take 3 swing. 8-22-11. 7:45am before heading to work. 7i DTL.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhoAW6aikcc[/media]

In the 'Take 3" swing, focusing on the takeaway. Trying to understand why right shoulder keeps rising while taking it back. Gotta do more to keep right shoulder down.

The funniest part of this video is swing #3, where I wanted to really FEEL my elbow jabbing me into my side during the downswing; doing this caused the club to move in towards me, which moved it away from the ball. I hit it just off the toe, and ball went flying sideways and bounced like a pinball around the garage, including into the ceiling above, which is our master bedroom, where my wife is lying in the bed. lol, I thought I had put my eye out. This is where my Mom would have said, "Mr. Anthony, you know we don't hit or throw in this house!!

The part you don't hear is when my wife yells "What are you [size="3"][b]DOING[/b] [/size]down there????? The sane people are trying to SLEEP!!!!!!!!"

LOLOLOL!!! I may have to set up a secret camera while I'm practicing to catch her hilarious reactions and comments!
[/quote]

[color="#000066"]Just got off the phone with Kim. She gave me a speech about having consideration for her sleep. I said "I did consider it lol........I considered that if the birds are chirping, and the sun is up, it's Hogan time!! Do you think Hogan laid in the bed when there was daylight?? lol" Then she requested that I pllllleeeeeaaaase move her truck out of the garage when I am being Mr. Hogan. She then reminded me of the cracked windshield on my own truck. Yeah, I cracked the windshield, but I wasn't practicing; I was doing something totally different………. I was in need of a golf fix (kinda like a drug fix lol). Here's the story:

It had rained non-stop for about a week, and I couldn't get out to the course. I checked the forecast every day hoping to get a round in at some point. The stinking forecaster said the rain would be over late Thursday nite and Friday would be "partly cloudy." Sooo, I took off work on that Friday. Cleaned my clubs and packed my golf bag that Thursday nite. Got up early Friday morn, had a champions breakfast, and headed to West Pines course for a well-needed round of 18. Left home and the skies were clear as spring water. Got closer to the course and it started to get dark. Parked my truck, and it got reeeeeeeal dark. It was about 10am and there was 1 other vehicle in the parking lot. My thinking was “I’m not letting a few dark clouds scare me away…..there WILL be some golf played today!!” Opened my door, put my foot on the ground, and the bottom of the black clouds above fell onto the earth like a stinkin waterfall. I was sooooo determined to play that day, that I got my clubs out, and splashed my way into the clubhouse. I walk in with my shirt and pants glued to me cause of the typhoon outside. The guy at the counter was locking the place up and said “Ummmmmmm……buddy, not gonna happen today. It’s a dang hurricane out there.” Of course, I didn’t hear him, cause I NEEEEEEED to play some golf. I just stood there cold and dripping onto his carpet. I said something stupid like “well, it may just pass over.” There was a television to the right of the counter that had the severe weather beep at the bottom of the screen with a splotch of red over about 3 counties. I stared at him, stared at the tv, stared at the range, stared at the parking lot, then just walked out in disgust. Didn't even say bye. (My apologies to the guy at the counter....my disgust was really for the weather man!) Got back in my truck and headed to Walmart to buy some wiffle balls to hit in the garage. Bought a few bags and headed straight home. Got home and the monsoon was still spitting on everything. I pulled into the garage and set up my "indoor range." I started hitting the plastic, wimpsy, flimsy whiffle balls towards a wooden target about 30 yards from my garage door. (I was hitting in the opposite direction as I am in the Take 3 video). I put up a target and had a pretty good time hitting it, but the balls just made that "whhhhhrrrrrllllllllll" sound with no real bang. I had a splendid idea.......and this is where i went wrong........I thought that since I was hitting the wimpy whiffles direct to the target, with EVERY club, EVERY time, that I would do the same if I hit a real ball. The precautious, adult side of my brain said that I should not hit a hard a$$ed golf ball into the wooden board, but into a nice, thick, safe, bed comforter. Soooooooo, I went upstairs and got one out of the closet. I got a bungee cord and tied it to a couple of yellow hooks that I screwed into the girders. Now if you can picture this, the comforter is MUCH larger than the wooden target on the wall behind it, so logic should say that I was being safe. I teed a Pro V1 up, grabbed my driver, and swung like I was at a Remax long drive championship. I must have been ramped up with adrelanine, cause I pull-hooked it into the concrete brick wall above the washing maching; the ball missed the giant comforter, ricocheted towards my truck, and right into my windshield, which left a nice sparkly crack. The funny part about it was I just stood there trying to figure out what I did to hook it......lol didn't even care about the $300 windshield I just destroyed lol. I can barely type this right now.......still laughing about it LOLOL!! [/color][color="#000066"][/color] [color="#000066"]The not-so-funny part of this is, of course, I ended the indoor driving range session, and forgot to take down the comforter. Kim got home and had all kinds of questions about why her comforter was bungeed to the wall. I told her I was "[b][i]thinking[/i][/b]" about hitting a few balls, but I didn't think it was a good idea (wink-wink lol). I eventually told her about it a couple of years later when we had friends over for dinner. We were all sharing funny stories of our marriages. My wife actually laughed about it; I told her the cracked windshield came from a hail storm.

I haven't fixed the windshield yet....maybe I'm keeping it that way as a reminder lol.[/color]

[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1314059514' post='3511039']
LMAO!
[/quote]

lol....I'm standing here in the basement getting ready to work on this takeaway and I'm staring at where the ball hit the wall......wow...what the heck was I thinkin lol. Today, my Dad saw the post about the "indoor driving range" and the windshield and promptly called me and asked if I had lost my mind......while he chuckled, or course. Hey, sometimes, golf happens! He said he thought hail did it! The hail did happen, but that was after the fact.

Back to the golf.......So, after analyzing the 'Take 3' video, I am curious on how to get the takeaway happening better. I want it as close to Hogans as possible.

I think the reasons are:

- My left arm/hand is coming too far inside and around me while I'm taking the club back.
- Right elbow isn't bending early enough

Will try both of these and see what happens. 'Take 4' video coming tomorrow morning.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1314061198' post='3511135']
[quote name='hogangolf101' timestamp='1314059514' post='3511039']
LMAO!
[/quote]

lol....I'm standing here in the basement getting ready to work on this takeaway and I'm staring at where the ball hit the wall......wow...what the heck was I thinkin lol. Today, my Dad saw the post about the "indoor driving range" and the windshield and promptly called me and asked if I had lost my mind......while he chuckled, or course. Hey, sometimes, golf happens! He said he thought hail did it! The hail did happen, but that was after the fact.

Back to the golf.......So, after analyzing the 'Take 3' video, I am curious on how to get the takeaway happening better. I want it as close to Hogans as possible.

I think the reasons are:

- My left arm/hand is coming too far inside and around me while I'm taking the club back.
- Right elbow isn't bending early enough

Will try both of these and see what happens. 'Take 4' video coming tomorrow morning.
[/quote]

Here's my 'Take 4' video. Was experimenting with the famous Hogan concentration drill.
8-22-11. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbiBdI1PayY#"][color="#4272db"]10:45[/color][/url]pm before bed. 7i DTL and FO

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbiBdI1PayY[/media]

After watching this video, I laughed out loud that I had worked for an hour on getting the takeaway kinda in the range I wanted it to be in, and was satisfied for what I had put into it. Then I make a final recording of the full swing (the 'Take 4' swing), and I am nowhere near what I practiced for the hour. Old habits are hard to get rid of. New habits take time and repetition. Will do a few swings in the a.m. and make sure I have an understanding of what the takeaway should feel like..........then practice it for a month......or two......or six...............or thousand.

8-23-11. 7:45a before work 7i DTL takeaway.

In the 'Take 5" swing, still focusing on the takeaway. Didn't have but a minute to swing this morning; had to take daughter to school for a special function. Once we were about to walk out the door, I literally ran to the basement to get 60sec worth of takeaway on video. This is actually the best way to see what your real swing looks like, just grabbing a club and doing one, single swing, rather than rehearsing with 25 swings to "practice" for a video. I proved this to myself last nite; I did about 200 takeaways until it looked good, then took a 20min water/food break. I came back to record 1 last swing to confirm that the takeaway was perfect, and my muscles lost their memory while I ate grilled chicken, brown rice, and green beans. Or maybe there's something genetically engineered into todays foods that automaatically erases all Hogan swing thoughts lol.

Analysis: still don't understand the correct feeling. Right shoulder is still rising. When I slow things down and compare to Hogan, his right elbow appears to bend the instant the takeaway starts. Mine takes a second for the bend action to start. Even with this "wrong" move of mine, my club is very close to the plane line, but if I'm gonna match Hogan. I need for right shoulder to NOT rise.

Next practice session, I'm gonna focus on the right elbow bend and tweak it till it's right. That's the hard part; what feels right to me does not match what I am trying to do. Just another lesson of "what you feel is not real".

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7GPdyU_xyo[/media]

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1314116127' post='3512782']
8-23-11. 7:45a before work 7i DTL takeaway.

In the 'Take 5" swing, still focusing on the takeaway. Didn't have but a minute to swing this morning; had to take daughter to school for a special function. Once we were about to walk out the door, I literally ran to the basement to get 60sec worth of takeaway on video. This is actually the best way to see what your real swing looks like, just grabbing a club and doing one, single swing, rather than rehearsing with 25 swings to "practice" for a video. I proved this to myself last nite; I did about 200 takeaways until it looked good, then took a 20min water/food break. I came back to record 1 last swing to confirm that the takeaway was perfect, and my muscles lost their memory while I ate grilled chicken, brown rice, and green beans. Or maybe there's something genetically engineered into todays foods that automaatically erases all Hogan swing thoughts lol.

Analysis: still don't understand the correct feeling. Right shoulder is still rising. When I slow things down and compare to Hogan, his right elbow appears to bend the instant the takeaway starts. Mine takes a second for the bend action to start. Even with this "wrong" move of mine, my club is very close to the plane line, but if I'm gonna match Hogan. I need for right shoulder to NOT rise.

Next practice session, I'm gonna focus on the right elbow bend and tweak it till it's right. That's the hard part; what feels right to me does not match what I am trying to do. Just another lesson of "what you feel is not real".

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7GPdyU_xyo"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c7GPdyU_xyo[/url]
[/quote]

Comparison of me vs Hogan.
- My right elbow is not bending early enough.
- Once my right elbow gets behind my body, it is pointing up. Hogan's is pointing down.

Basically, Hogan's right shoulder is flat during the takeaway, and mine is heading upright.

[quote name='Staffer' timestamp='1314128041' post='3513384']
Well, to quote Oprah: The Nile isn´t just a river in egypt....

Look at the freakin videos. There is more Hogan in my dog...
[/quote]

I agree with ya there! Cool! We think alike!!! None of this is anywhere near Hogan. The hat is even the wrong color and style. At this point, if I had to compare swing likeness, I would say .000000002% is like Hogans, and I only rate it that high because we are both holding a golf club. And I'm probably holding it wrong lol..........make that .000000001% . During the course of me working on this swing challenge, please let me know if you ever see any matching comparison to the Hogan swing; this way, I'll know when I'm done. So far, I've gotten the address as close as I want for now, but it will be re-tweeked again and again over the next few lifetimes. Right now, just want to build a basic swing, from the bottom up. What do you think of the address? Does it come anywhere close?

You don't stand tall enough at address.One peculiarity of Hogan was that he addressed the ball standing very upright then introduced waist bend as soon as he took the club away.He even got more bent over as he started his downswing.

I tried it,doesn't work for me but good luck.These peculiarities was natural to Hogan.He didn't do them because he tried to copy someone else.It's his swing DNA,not yours but don't let that discourage you.You may not succeed but it's fun trying.

Hogan also did not flare his right foot out at address either.He kept it very perpendicular.He considered this a fundamental for his swing.

I also think you are trying to copy the wrong Hogan swing.You are comparing yourself to post wreck Hogan.His best swing was around 1948,just before his accident.But that swing would be even harder to copy.LOL

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1314146677' post='3514173']
You don't stand tall enough at address.One peculiarity of Hogan was that he addressed the ball standing very upright then introduced waist bend as soon as he took the club away.He even got more bent over as he started his downswing.

I tried it,doesn't work for me but good luck.These peculiarities was natural to Hogan.He didn't do them because he tried to copy someone else.It's his swing DNA,not yours but don't let that discourage you.You may not succeed but it's fun trying.
[/quote]

I understand what you mean about the address, but from the study guide I've put together, the upright stance is with all the wooden clubs. As the club length shortened, his spine angle decreased. I took all the swings from all the videos I could find and did precalculus and basic trig on all of them.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1314147491' post='3514213']
Hogan also did not flare his right foot out at address either.He kept it very perpendicular.He considered this a fundamental for his swing.

I also think you are trying to copy the wrong Hogan swing.You are comparing yourself to post wreck Hogan.His best swing was around 1948,just before his accident.But that swing would be even harder to copy.LOL
[/quote]

Thanks for the info......I'll work on the foot position.

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1314150920' post='3514394']
Read Five Lessons

[/quote]

Wow....short and simple. Probably the best advice I've been given yet. I will definitely read it in due time. Right now, I'm lost on the Nile without a map, and there are many serpents in the water below, but I'm discovering sooooo much just going from island to island. This is one fun journey. Glad I took it on. My personal swing has changed dramatically for the better just in the past 2 weeks. When I compare my swing of last month to what I have built today, it is becoming something veeeeeery different. On the range today, I was making some of the purest, cleanest shots. I didn't feel the ball at all. None of the club shaft vibration that I had in the past. The guy next to me noticed too. He said, "you know who your swing kinda reminds me of......Hogan." I laughed and said it was just the hat. And my swing definetly does not look anything like Hogans.............................................................yet.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1314155350' post='3514598']
[quote name='dap' timestamp='1314146677' post='3514173']

[/quote]

I understand what you mean about the address, but from the study guide I've put together, the upright stance is with all the wooden clubs. As the club length shortened, his spine angle decreased. I took all the swings from all the videos I could find and did precalculus and basic trig on all of them.
[/quote]
Relatively speaking of course he stood more erect with the woods because they are longer but you are missing the point.Hogan got more bent over during the backswing and got even lower in the downswing which you aren't doing.

I am not saying one has to do this to play good golf but if you want to copy Hogan exactly,this is an important look.