Northwestern 1300 Refurb

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, it helps when you get to the "I can do this sanding while I read" stage.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1326730026' post='4093085']
it's starting to look really nice. this is where you get momentum on these types of projects. seeing what it is getting to be makes you work harder to geti it even further. good job, and keep it up while you still have momentum.
[/quote]

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

I got through sanding today and the final product looks a lot better than when I started. But, I'm a bit of a standstill because there are some dark spots I can't get off--like there are inconsistencies in the metal. It give the putter a "spotted" look. Also, I don't know if its my eyes playing tricks but the finish seems to dull after sitting a few days.

Any thoughts? I could leave it as be, I guess or reconsider painting it a black with gold fills.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1327262027' post='4135261']
I got through sanding today and the final product looks a lot better than when I started. But, I'm a bit of a standstill because there are some dark spots I can't get off--like there are inconsistencies in the metal. It give the putter a "spotted" look. Also, I don't know if its my eyes playing tricks but the finish seems to dull after sitting a few days.

Any thoughts? I could leave it as be, I guess or reconsider painting it a black with gold fills.
[/quote]

if you want it to be right, you just have to keep working at those spots with the heavy grit sandpaper until they're smoothed over. it took me a few complete runs through on my project to get the depressions out, but it was worth it in the end. you've come a long way--no help to quit now.

as for hte finish, if it's dulling, it's likely it's carbon steel. stainless probably wouldn't turn different colors over the course of a few days. it theoretically could be otoher materials too...i'd suggest using caswell's stainless blackener on it. it'll also color carbon steel as well, so you'll have your bases covered at the least.

So, will acetone hurt the blackener's finish? I'm thinking ahead to when I to the paint fills and have to use it to clean up stray paint.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1327339530' post='4139947']

[/quote]

if you want it to be right, you just have to keep working at those spots with the heavy grit sandpaper until they're smoothed over. it took me a few complete runs through on my project to get the depressions out, but it was worth it in the end. you've come a long way--no help to quit now.

as for hte finish, if it's dulling, it's likely it's carbon steel. stainless probably wouldn't turn different colors over the course of a few days. it theoretically could be otoher materials too...i'd suggest using caswell's stainless blackener on it. it'll also color carbon steel as well, so you'll have your bases covered at the least.
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1327352638' post='4141241']
So, will acetone hurt the blackener's finish? I'm thinking ahead to when I to the paint fills and have to use it to clean up stray paint.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

stainless blackener isn't spray paint. it's actually metal darkener. also, you wouldn't want to use spray paint to do the paint fills (i dont think, at least). I use nail polish...it works pretty well.

acetone wont take any of the darkener off, no matter what you use--be it gun blue (for carbon steel) or stainless blackener. i would recommend doing your best to get the surface as clean and polished as possible before applying any finish. i haven't yet seen a finish that works well if the surface isn't basically free of imperfections.

I've got a drawer of hobby paint that I use for my paint fills.

Sanding, sanding, sanding . . . good thing its my spring project.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1327353380' post='4141329']
[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1327352638' post='4141241']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

stainless blackener isn't spray paint. it's actually metal darkener. also, you wouldn't want to use spray paint to do the paint fills (i dont think, at least). I use nail polish...it works pretty well.

acetone wont take any of the darkener off, no matter what you use--be it gun blue (for carbon steel) or stainless blackener. i would recommend doing your best to get the surface as clean and polished as possible before applying any finish. i haven't yet seen a finish that works well if the surface isn't basically free of imperfections.
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/16866-stainless-steel-blackener-370-caswell-inc.html

I was doing a little research on stainless steel blackener and turned this up--which suggests the product doesn't work that well. Anyone have experience long-term with stainless blackener?

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

I'm wondering--what with the odd dulling effect and the non-magnetic properties--is it possible the putter head is aluminum? In the recesses of my mind I seem to remember hearing about cheap aluminum heads on old clubs.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

I'm getting really close to blackening . . . here's what I got done after a second run through with the sandpaper; its 90% ready except for some persistent spots around the neck and toe (it actually looks a lot better in person).

And let me add that my next putter project WON'T be one that starts off as dinged up as this one did!

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1327878046' post='4174609']
I'm getting really close to blackening . . . here's what I got done after a second run through with the sandpaper; its 90% ready except for some persistent spots around the neck and toe (it actually looks a lot better in person).

And let me add that my next putter project WON'T be one that starts off as dinged up as this one did!
[/quote]

these are the best ones to start with. you can toy around all you want because they have nowhere to go but up. once you're done, you'll forget how much work it was and go out and get another one just like it lol. happens to all of us.

great work and keep the photos coming.

Does anyone know where I could buy some stainless steel blackner off someone else? I don't really need a whole batch, so I'd e interested in purchasing someone's leftovers, as it were. Feel free to PM me.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1328037241' post='4185821']
Does anyone know where I could buy some stainless steel blackner off someone else? I don't really need a whole batch, so I'd e interested in purchasing someone's leftovers, as it were. Feel free to PM me.
[/quote]

lol....i have it. you wanna just send the head to me and i'll do it?

Tempting, hebron!

But, I think I have to keep it truly DIY--what can I say, I'm cheap! Have not bought a "new" club in . . . six or seven years, have not paid someone else to regrip in at least as long. So, if I could find a deal on Caswell's I'd take it - - - figure I'll give it few weeks and before committing to a twenty dollar investment.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1328061110' post='4188511']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Well, I've got two sets of caswells and sealer so I guess I could part with some. Send me a pm and we'll work something out.

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1328062544' post='4188693']
Tempting, hebron!

But, I think I have to keep it truly DIY--what can I say, I'm cheap! Have not bought a "new" club in . . . six or seven years, have not paid someone else to regrip in at least as long. So, if I could find a deal on Caswell's I'd take it - - - figure I'll give it few weeks and before committing to a twenty dollar investment.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1328061110' post='4188511']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm waiting on the Caswell's to arrive, I thought I'd tidy up a few loose ends. The stamping on the bottom was damaged, so I went in and deepened the word "model" (I was worried it was too shallow to fill) and fixed the "N,"."T," and "H" (which were misshapen). Also, I cleaned up the red and white rubber spacers that were on either side of the hosel. These were original and even though they are slightly damaged, I wanted to put them back on.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

• 2 weeks later...

New Pics as of 2/19

Finally got around to using the Caswell's stainless steel stain on the putter head and it came out pretty cool. I went through six applications and got it very dark--the color is a deep rust color. The color reminds me of the coloration on my old Cleveland 588 lob wedge.

And, since the greenskeeper is punching greens at my course this week I'll have time I usually put into p[laying that I'll put into finishing this project. Going to get paintfills done later today, then need to acquire a shaft, grip, and reassemble.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Got paint in last night and will go home to clean it up tonight---ran into an unanticipated issue. When I put the white paint in there must have been some residue from the Caswell's in the bullseye and the lettering. As a result, there was a reaction and the paint yellowed. It should be a simple fix: strip the paint and try to clean better. But the issue is that the stamping is so narrow that it no feasible to get into the lettering for scraping.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1329744486' post='4330571']
Got paint in last night and will go home to clean it up tonight---ran into an unanticipated issue. When I put the white paint in there must have been some residue from the Caswell's in the bullseye and the lettering. As a result, there was a reaction and the paint yellowed. It should be a simple fix: strip the paint and try to clean better. But the issue is that the stamping is so narrow that it no feasible to get into the lettering for scraping.
[/quote]

i'd think the yellowing of the color might be a neat effect....kind of like new old paint

I wish it did!

I just looks kind of crappy. I'll post pics later.\

I'm contemplating three resolutions:

1. Painting over the bad paint.

2. Painting only the sight line on top, which didn't have the reaction after I cleaned it out (it is wider than the other stampings) and leaving everything else unpainted.

3. Stripping the white paint out and trying gold paint.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1329765175' post='4332815']
[/quote]

i'd think the yellowing of the color might be a neat effect....kind of like new old paint
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

sounds like you didn't clean off all of the caswells. You've gotta be really thorough to get that junk off once it's blackened. However, if you do a good wash witb a degreaser (dish soap works) it shouldall come off, then re-do the white paint fill.

In other news, it looks like I won't becontributing to this board much anymore. Other MUCHmore serious things going on in life and this is just taking time and energy. Great project and I'm glad I could help.

Best,
-JK

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1329773621' post='4333785']
I wish it did!

I just looks kind of crappy. I'll post pics later.\

I'm contemplating three resolutions:

1. Painting over the bad paint.

2. Painting only the sight line on top, which didn't have the reaction after I cleaned it out (it is wider than the other stampings) and leaving everything else unpainted.

3. Stripping the white paint out and trying gold paint.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1329765175' post='4332815']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Here are the paint fills--they are cleaning up a little better now that I got the Caswell's residue out. The stamping on the sole will take a little more TLC.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Yeah, I touched it up a bit--it looks better but still a little rough around the edges and it works well that way.

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1329843100' post='4341645']
I think it looks good, you don't want a club that old to look to "pristine" anyway. Good work.
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

• 4 weeks later...

And, I'm finally done.

The ferrule is OEM--cleaned it up as well as I could and reused it because I wanted to keep it as original as possible. As you could see in earlier pics, this was not one long piece, but one piece with four separate rings. For the grip, dug up an old school Pro Only. I happy with the finished product--though I don't see myself using it much; talk about hard to line up and hit true! But, it'll look nice in my office and I'll wear out spot in the carpet.

Thanks for all the advice along the way.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04