2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Northwestern 1300 Refurb

My spring project
I got to rooting around in the basement and dug up this old Northwestern 1300 putter of my grandfather's. Its certainly no collector's item, but it would be fun to fix it up and have it layin around. It's got tons of oxidation, bent shaft, cracked up grip, etc...any advice on getting started?
--
Couple of questions:

Any advice on getting the gunk off? Sand it or soak it? Both? Its scratched up enough that I'll probably think about trying to cover it with some sort of dark finish, or maybe a gunmetal gray. Any suggestions for classic-looking grips?

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call - - - thinking about a leather wrap, too. But, I've got a LOT to do before I get to the grip!

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1324783936' post='3984949']
Got to put a "pro only" on that baby.
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1324865893' post='3987347']
Good call - - - thinking about a leather wrap, too. But, I've got a LOT to do before I get to the grip!

[quote name='henricogolfer' timestamp='1324783936' post='3984949']
Got to put a "pro only" on that baby.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I know the feeling, I have a tp mills that was my grandfather's then my dad's that needs work. I'll get to it someday.

hopefully, this will help you: http://thepowerfade.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/club-repair-restoring-a-putter-part-1/

That is a write-up of a very similar project i did about a month ago now (doesn't feel that long). I've got others in the hopper for various different finishes. the chrome will be an issue, but with the right amount of love she can look great.

let me know if you have any questions

-JK

Will do! The putter looks great. I'm tying up some other projects, and have to go out and pick up some dremel stuff to go to work on the plating and evening out the bumps.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1325092360' post='3996803']
hopefully, this will help you: [url="http://thepowerfade.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/club-repair-restoring-a-putter-part-1/"]http://thepowerfade....-putter-part-1/[/url]

That is a write-up of a very similar project i did about a month ago now (doesn't feel that long). I've got others in the hopper for various different finishes. the chrome will be an issue, but with the right amount of love she can look great.

-JK
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Here's a question I had pop up in my mind while waiting for space to clear on my workbench for this project.

Have any of you had experience finding ferrules for your putters--this one, you'll note, has one. I can't think of ever having had a putter/seen a putter with one before. Will I have to find a ferrule that matches this one exactly (this one is longer than the typical ferrule you'll see on an iron)? Or, can I find a similar one and go with that instead? I wouldn't think they are specific to putters, so if I ordered one off Golfworks, it should work--right?

Thanks!

hopefully, this will help you: [url="http://thepowerfade.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/club-repair-restoring-a-putter-part-1/"]http://thepowerfade....-putter-part-1/[/url]

-JK
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Finally broke out the naval jelly today--which I knew was obnoxious stuff because I'd used it before in a woodworking project. You wouldn't think pink goo could sting like that. I got a lot of the junk off the putter and its ready for sanding--my only concern is the bullseye in the face, which looks caved in a touch. Not sure what to do with that.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1325785896' post='4032885']
Finally broke out the naval jelly today--which I knew was obnoxious stuff because I'd used it before in a woodworking project. You wouldn't think pink goo could sting like that. I got a lot of the junk off the putter and its ready for sanding--my only concern is the bullseye in the face, which looks caved in a touch. Not sure what to do with that.
[/quote]

How maleable is the metal? Could you possibly use a groove tool or pen knife to try to doctor the lines a bit?

Project is coming along nicely.

I'm going to get after the face tomorrow (hopefully)--got some sanding attachments to try out. The grooves on the bulls-eye seem deep enough to keep with some sanding, except for the top part. I may try to acquire a groove tool or some similar implement at Lowe's to see if I can repair the damaged part, but I don't have high hopes. It would be disappointing, because I was envisioning a silver or gold-filled bulls-eye on the front.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1325823671' post='4035883']
I'm going to get after the face tomorrow (hopefully)--got some sanding attachments to try out. The grooves on the bulls-eye seem deep enough to keep with some sanding, except for the top part. I may try to acquire a groove tool or some similar implement at Lowe's to see if I can repair the damaged part, but I don't have high hopes. It would be disappointing, because I was envisioning a silver or gold-filled bulls-eye on the front.
[/quote]

Pretty sure I have a groove tool aroudn somewhere. If I can locate it, I'll let you borrow it.

Really, that's what you want to use. Going to Lowes to get something is probably going to just end up frustrating you. The groove tools are designed for this kind of job. They're made of sharp-edged tool steel that is hard enough to be used. If you try to find something at HD or Lowes, you'll probably just find something that will break halfway through the job.

You must be VERY careful with groove tools, though, as they can put big scratches in the face that will pretty much end your resto before it begins. I put a few of those on a set of irons i had. not pretty.

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1325168151' post='4000367']
Here's a question I had pop up in my mind while waiting for space to clear on my workbench for this project.

Have any of you had experience finding ferrules for your putters--this one, you'll note, has one. I can't think of ever having had a putter/seen a putter with one before. Will I have to find a ferrule that matches this one exactly (this one is longer than the typical ferrule you'll see on an iron)? Or, can I find a similar one and go with that instead? I wouldn't think they are specific to putters, so if I ordered one off Golfworks, it should work--right?

Thanks!

-JK
[/quote]
[/quote]

no experience with ferrules on putters. the only thing i have with a ferrule is a TP mills, and it has a pencil shaft that requires a special ferrule. I doubt this putter woudl require anything special, though. looking through golfworks might work, but golfsmith is more likely going to get you what you want if you can take it into the store (they probably wont even charge you to give you one ferrule...they never charge me...)

Yeah--ferrules cost what, 50 cents or so? I'm sure I can get one the club repair guys around here to sell me one. I'm really going to try and clean the one on there up as much as possible. The ferrules I have on my irons are one-piece black ones; these look like three pieces (or broke into three pieces): a ring, a sleeve, and another ring.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1325826253' post='4036021']

Thanks!

-JK
[/quote]
[/quote]

no experience with ferrules on putters. the only thing i have with a ferrule is a TP mills, and it has a pencil shaft that requires a special ferrule. I doubt this putter woudl require anything special, though. looking through golfworks might work, but golfsmith is more likely going to get you what you want if you can take it into the store (they probably wont even charge you to give you one ferrule...they never charge me...)
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1325853268' post='4036545']
Yeah--ferrules cost what, 50 cents or so? I'm sure I can get one the club repair guys around here to sell me one. I'm really going to try and clean the one on there up as much as possible. The ferrules I have on my irons are one-piece black ones; these look like three pieces (or broke into three pieces): a ring, a sleeve, and another ring.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1325826253' post='4036021']

Thanks!

-JK
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

$0.50 + $6.00 shipping. Plus, if you don't know what tip diameter you have, you might end up getting the wrong one. If you can figure out what the tip diameter is, I can send you an iron ferrule with the groove tool (if i ever find it). I have several sitting around. Nothing special, but it's something to put on there in the interim.

Got a little grinding today--still a bit more to do on the rounded edges and hosel. But, the worst of the scratches on the face came out.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1326399123' post='4072767']
any updates?
[/quote]

Just got some timer yesterday to work on the hosel and the rounded edges--its sitting upstairs in a salt bath now (gotta get that out before I head to work!)

As you can see from this pic I took, there are still these pock marks--maybe I'll look into some kind of filler before I paint.And, I thought I'd see more rust after the salt bath--or that it would at least seem more obvious. Either I got nothing off (which seems unlikely considering the shaping I accomplished), or I got off more than I expected. There only unusual discoloring I see is on the sole, where there is a dark patch (see pic).

Any thoughts?

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1326454532' post='4076379']
any updates?
[/quote]

Just got some timer yesterday to work on the hosel and the rounded edges--its sitting upstairs in a salt bath now (gotta get that out before I head to work!)

As you can see from this pic I took, there are still these pock marks--maybe I'll look into some kind of filler before I paint.And, I thought I'd see more rust after the salt bath--or that it would at least seem more obvious. Either I got nothing off (which seems unlikely considering the shaping I accomplished), or I got off more than I expected. There only unusual discoloring I see is on the sole, where there is a dark patch (see pic).

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

a couple:

first, there's a lot more to do to get those pock marks out. it might take you a while to grind them down or even to file them out with a flat file, but it's possible to take them out.

as to the salt back, it's possible that this is 17-4 stainless and, ergo, not carbon, in which case it wont rust no matter how much you try. however, it looks from your pictures like there's chrome on it, and, if chromed, it's carbon steel.

also, you said you're painting it? why paint and not metal finish? The metal finishing will hold up much better. and it's not that much more processing. just curious.

I guess there isn't any real harm in grinding more--it just seems like the marks are so deep it would be too evasive to grind more. But, this is the first time I've done this so I'm trying to err on the cautious side--back to the cone grinder I go (its almost worn away)!

As for the makeup--maybe the chrome was a paint rather than actual chrome? Did not seem like it when I was grinding. Which leads me to point three:

I just assumed I would paint because I'm used to painting--would the metal being 17-4 stainless changes its ability to be finished? Having never acquired metal finisher--where could I get it?

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1326484713' post='4078637']
any updates?
[/quote]

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

a couple:

first, there's a lot more to do to get those pock marks out. it might take you a while to grind them down or even to file them out with a flat file, but it's possible to take them out.

as to the salt back, it's possible that this is 17-4 stainless and, ergo, not carbon, in which case it wont rust no matter how much you try. however, it looks from your pictures like there's chrome on it, and, if chromed, it's carbon steel.

also, you said you're painting it? why paint and not metal finish? The metal finishing will hold up much better. and it's not that much more processing. just curious.
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Metal finishing typcially refers to coloration of the metal through various processes. when you look at, for example, th e old scotty cameron putters, they were not raw unfinished metal, but rather were "gun blued" in that they had a deep blue/black tint. it wasn't paint, it was actually the metal coloration. it's a form of controlled oxidation (i.e., rusting). It not only provides cosmetic help, but it helps keep the metal from rusting later. cold gun bluing solution can be foudn at most gun shops and hardware stores. basically, you wipe it on, clean it off, rub it with steel wool to get it smooth, and it's darkened. there's also plum browning, which requires some heating of the metal. hot bluing gets a better finish than gun bluing, but, like plum brown, it requires more steps.

however, 17-4 (or any type of stainless) can't be finished this way because it doesn't have a high electronegativity (i.e., it doesn't rust). for stainless, your options are basically (1) polish it (which can be done using a polishing wheel, scotch brite wheel, or even progressive grits of sandpaper up to about 2000), (2) bead blast it (if you have access to a bead blaster), or (3) use caswell stainless blackener to get a look similar to the new 2012 studio select scotty camerons. that process doesn't "blue" the material in the same way that gun blue does. instead, it's actually an acid that stains the metal.

hope that helps.

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1326489225' post='4079075']
I guess there isn't any real harm in grinding more--it just seems like the marks are so deep it would be too evasive to grind more. But, this is the first time I've done this so I'm trying to err on the cautious side--back to the cone grinder I go (its almost worn away)!

As for the makeup--maybe the chrome was a paint rather than actual chrome? Did not seem like it when I was grinding. Which leads me to point three:

I just assumed I would paint because I'm used to painting--would the metal being 17-4 stainless changes its ability to be finished? Having never acquired metal finisher--where could I get it?

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1326484713' post='4078637']
any updates?
[/quote]

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

a couple:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well, I got a little more work done tonight and have now gone through one whole grinding cone (so THAT'S why you want a dremel and not just your drill!). But, I got a lot of the pockmarks off the club and am about at a place where I'm going to start sandpapering. As you can see from the pics, the edges look more rounded than they did before.

As for coloring--I'm going to let it sit a day and see. I think its a stainless steel--it doesn't rust, but the color will be shiny right after I grind and then a day later it will "dim" or "darken" (don't know how else to describe).

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1326514307' post='4081623']
Well, I got a little more work done tonight and have now gone through one whole grinding cone (so THAT'S why you want a dremel and not just your drill!). But, I got a lot of the pockmarks off the club and am about at a place where I'm going to start sandpapering. As you can see from the pics, the edges look more rounded than they did before.

As for coloring--I'm going to let it sit a day and see. I think its a stainless steel--it doesn't rust, but the color will be shiny right after I grind and then a day later it will "dim" or "darken" (don't know how else to describe).
[/quote]

put a magnet on it. if it sticks, it's carbon. if it doesn't, it's stainless. easy enough.

OK--we're dealing with stainless. So, looks like I'll be playing with acid!

But first--Hebron's loan of a groove tool came through in today's mail. so, I set about fixing the bullseye--and it worked out as well as expected. The first pic was just after I deepened the grooves--you can see some scratches--and the second picture after buffing out the scratches.

*edit: the pic doesn't do it justice--I started running some sandpaper over the club and the bullseye looks great--its going to be very cool once I get it paint-filled at the end of the project. As for the color--I'm really leaning back towards painting, especially since in my mind's eye I've always leaned towards having it finished in matte or flat black with gold fills.

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1326562004' post='4083749']

[/quote]

put a magnet on it. if it sticks, it's carbon. if it doesn't, it's stainless. easy enough.
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

If it's stainless, you're almost in a better position. Once you sand it to your desired texture, you don't have to do anything else. Might look good with a nice polishing up to 2000 grit sandpaper. your call, though.

[quote name='rkristopheranderson' timestamp='1326573686' post='4084599']

But first--Hebron's loan of a groove tool came through in today's mail. so, I set about fixing the bullseye--and it worked out as well as expected. The first pic was just after I deepened the grooves--you can see some scratches--and the second picture after buffing out the scratches.

*edit: the pic doesn't do it justice--I started running some sandpaper over the club and the bullseye looks great--its going to be very cool once I get it paint-filled at the end of the project. As for the color--I'm really leaning back towards painting, especially since in my mind's eye I've always leaned towards having it finished in matte or flat black with gold fills.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah--I gave a test run with sandpaper last night - - - changing my mind about painting; thinking I may stay shiny and do some black paint fills since it came from KMart that way in 1965!

Posts and sanding on Sat. night . . . you can tell we're on Dad of small-child schedules!

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1326599752' post='4086447']
If it's stainless, you're almost in a better position. Once you sand it to your desired texture, you don't have to do anything else. Might look good with a nice polishing up to 2000 grit sandpaper. your call, though.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Yeah--I gave a test run with sandpaper last night - - - changing my mind about painting; thinking I may stay shiny and do some black paint fills since it came from KMart that way in 1965!

Posts and sanding on Sat. night . . . you can tell we're on Dad of small-child schedules!

[quote name='hebron1427' timestamp='1326599752' post='4086447']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

Most recent: sandpapering the face as a test--got a little knob near the heel to work out.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04

I've gone over the head with coarse sandpaper now after another turn with the stone cone, and its shaping up. There is a small dark spot/dimple near the heel on the face; and another small depression on the back of the club in a hard-to-get spot. Other than that there are just small burrs that I can work out with one last pass with the stone and continued papering with finer paper.

Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04