2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade r7 Quad TP

I am going against the popular grain here and say that I don't think the R7 is that great of a club. In theory, it makes all the sense in the world. The hard reality is that no one is going to change their weights on a regular basis to alter the direction. So basically you alter the launch angle to suit your needs. I just haven't found this club as forgiving as the 580xd and I probably like the 510 df better than the r7 as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chitown,

You know me and drivers. I like to try them all. I played my R7 today.  I hit some drives that were so friggin long it is ridiculous. Now this club for me is totally different than the 460 stuff. I kill the Comp and hit it really high relative to the r7. I know my carry is longer with the Comp but the r7 has a lot more run out. I don't change the weights at all. I have it set up to fade with 2 10s on the toe side and 2 2s heel side. Also this 9.5 is about 2 degrees open. I have a 757x tipped 1" and it feels really good. The only downside is that you need to be swinging really well to have success. The Comp is more forgiving by far. I think I'll end up keeping a few different ones around. Too many good choices

528[/snapback]

Champ, the only r7 i hit with any success was the last one I bought from you with the mits tour shaft. Of course that club is gone.The r7s never lasted long in my rotation. Long live the comp and the 580xd :lol: :( :beach: :rtfm:

That 9.5 with the tour mitsubishi tp 55 lt was a tight club but it sounds like the 580 XD tp is money for you.

Interesting to see Mitsubishi offering tour players varying kick point shafts with diamana technology but the public does not  get see them in the retail diamana line.

649[/snapback]

That mits shaft was awesome. If you or Joe Qwok can get some uncuts. Id like to experiment with that shaft.

I have not completly given up on the R7........although I've owned 3-4 of them in the past (tour issue)

I really hated the sound...it's so annoying I cant stand it. The feel is also subpar. I still have a weight kit..when I sell that, then it's over. :lol:

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a 9.5° Tour head off a guy named Art a little over a year ago, put an untipped Shaqx in it and it's been in the bag ever since. Decently long, and fairly easy to work the ball either way with, forgiveness is better than r510 imo. Kinda of getting bored with it now (afterall it's been a HO year!) so we'll see if it makes the cut after we demo an R5 dual and another R510 next week.

• 3 weeks later...

I was very slow on this one. I did not want to buy one, didn't want it. However, I just decided to get one to see if it can cure my closed face at the top and stop the hooks. I got it today and have it all set up for a fade! Lets hope it works. I had been using a Blade X400 and X460 with square faces...I dumped a bunch of lead tape on the toes, and it works better, but the swing weight was very high. I'm anxious to see how this baby performs. I swung with it some and I can feel the face remaining open throughout. Maybe now I can actually go after the ball!

-Ryan

• 3 months later...

I purchased a R7 TP Tour 8.5* fitted with a Fuji 553 at 45". The head is set-up at 1* open. I have it set-up the way I received it with two (2's) up front and two (10's) in the rear. I have the full weight kit, but haven't had time or needed to experiment as yet.

By far, this is one of the longest and straightest clubs I have ever owned. I have used this club for approx. 5 rounds. I am a high ball hitter, so the loft has really complimented my launch angle. What I like about this club is although maybe not as forgiving as some other drivers, my mishits (pushes) are still very long and playable. I drive the ball almost dead straight so there really hasn't been a need to set-up for a draw or a fade. The 400 CC head is about my limit as far as size goes. The black head makes the head look a little more compact which helps with confidence at address.

My driving average has improved and I often find myself only using a pw or sw to the green. I can only think that things will continue to improve.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

After toying with purchasing a Ping Rapture, found an r7 tp with a fuji six on ebay for a ridiculously low price. Currently using a callaway Ft-3 with a nvs shaft. The r7 with the fuji six gives a perfect boring trajectory with good heighth and is the straightest driver I have ever hit. This is my second try with the r7, first for the tp version. Huge difference, tp is the way and the shaft is unreal. Always felt taylor made was overrated, not anymore. For the current price, great deal.

• 2 months later...

r7 Quad TP, 8.5*, Grafalloy Blue Tour X. This thing is a monster. Swing speed for me is 120-125+or-. I get a ton of carry, and decent roll. I have it set up 6,10,10,4. Get about 15* of launch with a LONG, HIGH, Lazy draw. Club is solid, and sounds great. Only draw back is, well, there are no drawbacks!!! I sold 2 r510 TPs, r580 Tour, and several others just to keep this one, my 425, and a r7 Quad for the winter... LOVE THESE r7s... best ever, best looking (although that J33r 460 looks sweet at address), this club out classes, out performs, and beats them in value too...

I play the R7 425 TP with the Fuji ROMBAX stiff shaft, and compared to the regular R7 425 stiff, it is much more accurate and straight. I used to hit high draws (average 280 yds) all the time with the regular R7 425, even when I didn't try, but more often than not, the ball would find the left rough, and ball flight was rather unpredictable. With the TP version, if I consciously swing to close the face, the ball penetrates through the air, straight as can be.

This may be the final destination for me. No new drivers for a while!! ;) :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

I am a leftie and what I love about ebay is the ability try lots of older technology stuff at a fraction of the price of just two years ago. I don't have many leftie friends to try their stuff, so this is the next best thing. I picked up a R7 9 degree with the Fuji SIX shaft on ebay for less than $200. This is one serious stick. I have never owned a TP TM driver of any model before and I must say I am very impressed. I have mine set up with a 10 near the hosel, then an 8, 4 and 2 out on the toe. This gives me a beautiful high draw flight without upshooting. After many drives I have not had one upshooter, but I couldn't say that with a couple of the 460 cc drivers I have owned recently. The sound and feel is so good I just can't wait to hit it. Not the most forgiving so I have to stay within myself, but that's not a bad thing as it is plenty long with a smooth swing. I can't think of a nicer looking head at address either. Absolutely love it!