2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

"high end" club guest protocol

how do I know? who to tip etc.
Got an invite through a business contact to play a pretty swank club (upcoming major host). I am anxious as can be, and have no qualms about my game or on course etiquette.

These guys are members at Augusta National, Seminole etc. and I don't want to be a "boob" with all the "other" things. We may end up doing dinner at the club with wives after the round.

1- Do I wear my golf attire to the course and bring a change of clothes or do I wear a sport jacket to club and change to golf attire?

2- How much do I tip the club attendant at drop-off?

3- How much do I tip the caddie? Do they have a "range attendant" to be tipped? Do they have a locker room attendant to be tipped?

Is it bad form to ask my host these questions upon arrival/ in advance? Do I just quietly take care of these things without my host knowing?

Any help would be appreciated...this is a somewhat unexpected blessing, bucket list material for me.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely ask your host anything you need to know. Preferably in advance. I've visited a couple of fairly selective private clubs and they each seem to have one or two things that are done a specific way that I'd have had no way of knowing. My hosts have generally been very helpful with providing "clueing me in" as beforehand but I still doublecheck a couple of things before the day.

Nobody wants to be That Guy.

For instance, at one club the caddies were dealt with entirely by the member-host and as a guest I simply reimbursed him later to cover the fee plus tip. But at another club, I was told that my arrangement with the caddie (regarding the tip, that is, there was no caddie fee per se) was strictly between myself and the caddie and did not involve my host at all. Two clubs, totally opposite way of doing it. And likewise with a few other elements of private-club life. Some clubs can be a bit "funny" about certain things and you won't know until you ask!

Definitely. When I visit an upscale club, I always ask my host (or the pro shop) about the club's policy on tipping (if it is allowed) and the cell phone policy (because some clubs have very strict rules and hold the member accountable for their guests). I always ask my host if I can reimburse them for the round, or pay directly in the pro shop (almost always declined). If caddies are involved, I ask about the caddie fee and the usual and customary tip. I am always prepared to pay for everything in cash but also bring a credit card in case it is a "cash only" club.

Obviously you always use the locker room to change shoes, and it is a nice idea to use a shoe bag of some sort (although not necessary).

You don't have to barrage your host with these questions all at once of course, you can ask as things arise during the course of the day.

Have fun. Most high-end clubs treat guests very very very well. :)

If you are comfortable answering this question, which course is it that you are playing? I would bet there's someone on here who has played there that could give you some specific guidance. Each club is different and has different tipping policies. There's no one standard tip for a caddie. It varies greatly from course to course. Same with all the other stuff.

And as others have said, don't be shy about asking the pro shop staff. It's not going to sound weird. I work at a golf course and we get those questions all the time. We don't look at it as strange or rude, we look at it as someone who's making an effort to do the right thing and we're always happy to give them the info they need. It's perfectly acceptable to ask when you check in.

Let me ask you a question, did you ask for the invite, or were you simply invited? Whenever I invited someone to my club, I paid for everything. That person was my GUEST. I would have been mortified if a guest of mine even tried tipping anyone! Now, if you asked for the invite, then I think it would be appropriate to discuss repayment of any guest fees or dinner with your host.

Whenever I have been invited to a nice club, I always show up with a dozen Pro V1s for my host, and always offer to reciprocate. If you don't belong to a club, offer a round at the finest public course in the area.

As for what to wear, if you are playing golf first, come in golf clothes (unless you are coming straight from the office). You can change your shoes in the locker room, and after your round you can shower and dress for dinner.

Just my $.02.

find someone who has been a guest @ same course -- and pepper him with the questions.

otherwise follow lead of your host (guests dont touch their wallet @ many private clubs) but dont worry if you make minor faux pas.

most important, make sure you reciprocate (to the best of your ability) sometime in the near future.

dont over-think things and enjoy the day!

oh yea, dont forget the thank you note/email shortly after

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Quail Hallow Club

And thanks to all for the guidance!

I definitely don't want to be "that guy"
[quote name='fairways4life' timestamp='1329315027' post='4290163']
If you are comfortable answering this question, which course is it that you are playing? I would bet there's someone on here who has played there that could give you some specific guidance. Each club is different and has different tipping policies. There's no one standard tip for a caddie. It varies greatly from course to course. Same with all the other stuff.

And as others have said, don't be shy about asking the pro shop staff. It's not going to sound weird. I work at a golf course and we get those questions all the time. We don't look at it as strange or rude, we look at it as someone who's making an effort to do the right thing and we're always happy to give them the info they need. It's perfectly acceptable to ask when you check in.
[/quote]

If the future major sight you are playing is Olympic then let me set your mind at ease that they are not near as formal and uptight as other clubs you have probably visited. But do try the cheeseburger, it is as good as advertised. I tipped the guys at the bag stand on the way in and way out just as I would any other club. I felt a lot like you going in believe me, but everyone there was so hospitable and gracious they just want to make you feel welcome. I am sure thats the way it will be for you no matter where you are playing. Good luck and have fun.

Just a general comment: lots of great advice on this thread. Def ask your host ahead of time ("hey Joe, any special rules on tipping at the club?"). If that's not possible or if that seems awkward, ask someone in mid-management ahead of time.

To avoid any issues, I'd bring enough money to pay for everything, but 99% of hosts won't allow their guests to pay for a thing. At some clubs cash tipping isn't allowed. If I reach for ,my wallet at my friend's club I'm told "you're embarrassing me, put your money away." There probably won't be any cash shown at the club at any point, including dinner. The only exceptions would possibly be for the car hops or the caddy.

As with all hospitality, the idea is that you reciprocate at some point in the future by playing host, in whatever manner and at whatever level you can afford.

Don't treat it any differently than you would most other private clubs. You don't have to give $5 to every person you come in contact with. I always tip on my way OUT, not on the way in. Locker room attendant and bag room kid will be good w/ a few bucks each. If you're uncomfortable with asking your host, just ask the bag drop kid what their tipping policy is. The kid WILL give you an honest answer....if it's a non-tipping club and he lies, that's always a fireable offense. The added benefit to asking the kid, is that he'll know a few bucks will eventually come and will likely take care of you. Tip the locker room guy when you give him your shoes to clean up after the round....he'll do a better job with a few bucks in his hand.

Caddies are a bit tougher. Tipping policies are really different all over the country. I've played some of the world's best courses for $65 a bag and some of the most overrated for $150 a bag. Ask the caddymaster if you can (or a wandering asst. pro) what the typical "all-in" rate it. Some clubs have a small base rate w/ expected high tip, some have a big base with a 10% tip on top. Just ask for "all-in" to cut through the fluff. If you find yourself in a rush before the round and forget to ask, I'll typically just ask the member walking up the 17th fairway what the bag rate is, OR I'll just ask the caddy himself. You almost always get an honest answer, especially if you've played well and had a fun day with him. Most caddies relish a fast round w/ a good player over getting paid big with a total hack.

When visiting a club, I'll pretty much always wear my golf clothes....unless a jacket is mandatory like at Garden City. A change of clothes for after the round is a must unless you know for sure you won't be sticking around after the round. The member will likely clean up afterwards for dinner. And for the love of God, don't wear your golf shoes to the course or change in the parking lot (not meant for the OP, sounds like you have it pretty much figured out already). The locker room is there for a reason.

I'm fortunate to play at a well known club and I'm used to guests being pretty nervous if they've never been to it or just not used to playing at private clubs. The staff wants the experience to be relaxed, so take it easy and enjoy the experience. Ask the member any questions you may have, trust me, they'd much prefer to answer your questions than to have a guest do something potentially embarrassing (like insisting to put a $5'er in the shoe guys pocket at a strict non-tipping club).

[quote name='Outlier' timestamp='1329316068' post='4290239']
Quail Hallow Club

[/quote]
[/quote]

I know a couple members at Quail and have a handful of friends that have played there a few times. I'll try to ask a round and see what type of info I can get...

Ballpark on when you're going out there (not exact date, but "couple weeks" or maybe "couple months" type deal)...?

And just to echo some general "high end" sentiments above:

I've never spent a dime on costs when a guest at a high end club. Now tips are different...yes, have cash on hand for that.

Be prepared for $75-$150 as the range for the caddie. I'll try asking around to see if I can get a more exact answer on Quail for you.

As said, don't just flash cash to everyone...comes off very tacky.

Keep a good handful of $5 bills. That's a customary nice tip for bag boys, locker room attendants, etc. In my experience, a $5 bill is taken with more gratitude than a roll of $1 bills, even if that roll of $1s ends up being more than $5. Just something about that "larger" bill perception wise. You'll probably hand out 5-10 $5 bills during your day (bag boys at curb, locker room attendant/shoe guy, snack stop server, etc.).

[quote name='oldpalchamp' timestamp='1329315695' post='4290209']
Let me ask you a question, did you ask for the invite, or were you simply invited? Whenever I invited someone to my club, I paid for everything. That person was my GUEST. I would have been mortified if a guest of mine even tried tipping anyone! Now, if you asked for the invite, then I think it would be appropriate to discuss repayment of any guest fees or dinner with your host.

Whenever I have been invited to a nice club, I always show up with a dozen Pro V1s for my host, and always offer to reciprocate. If you don't belong to a club, offer a round at the finest public course in the area.

As for what to wear, if you are playing golf first, come in golf clothes (unless you are coming straight from the office). You can change your shoes in the locker room, and after your round you can shower and dress for dinner.

Just my $.02.
[/quote]

I really like this advice, especially the idea of bringing PRO V1's.

I'd also suggest you find out what betting games they play. Sounds to me you are in with some heavy hitters.

[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1329318972' post='4290477']
I'd also suggest you find out what betting games they play. Sounds to me you are in with some heavy hitters.
[/quote]

Several of us guests played in a Wolf game at a notable course in California a few years back. The nominal stakes were more than I'd usually consider comfortable but in Wolf things can really add up at the end. One guy was the big loser all day and when we got to the 18th tee he announced he wanted to play against the other four of us and try to catch up a little.

Our host had done the mental arithmetic so he took him aside and informed him of what the resulting sum riding on that hole would be (can't recall exactly but it was mid-three figures). My buddy decided Lone Wolf wasn't all it was cracked up to be so he went ahead and picked a partner.

I'm much happier with straight wagers of 5, 10, 20 bucks without all the open-ended formats that can get out of hand. Frankly, my game is bad enough as is without making it worse by throwing up on myself over a hundred-dollar putt.

PERFECT-

Everything you say here is what my natural inclinations were to do (I like the Pro V's idea- couldn't come up with what was just right as a token of appreciation).

I really appreciate the validation.
[quote name='oldpalchamp' timestamp='1329315695' post='4290209']

Just my $.02.
[/quote]

weeks....before prep for tournament begins in earnest.

Thanks to all for the advice!

[quote name='muxi87' timestamp='1329318505' post='4290429']
[quote name='Outlier' timestamp='1329316068' post='4290239']
Quail Hallow Club

[/quote]
[/quote]

I know a couple members at Quail and have a handful of friends that have played there a few times. I'll try to ask a round and see what type of info I can get...

Ballpark on when you're going out there (not exact date, but "couple weeks" or maybe "couple months" type deal)...?
[/quote]

great guidance...thanks again.
[quote name='muxi87' timestamp='1329318809' post='4290457']
And just to echo some general "high end" sentiments above:

I've never spent a dime on costs when a guest at a high end club. Now tips are different...yes, have cash on hand for that.

Be prepared for $75-$150 as the range for the caddie. I'll try asking around to see if I can get a more exact answer on Quail for you.

As said, don't just flash cash to everyone...comes off very tacky.

Keep a good handful of $5 bills. That's a customary nice tip for bag boys, locker room attendants, etc. In my experience, a $5 bill is taken with more gratitude than a roll of $1 bills, even if that roll of $1s ends up being more than $5. Just something about that "larger" bill perception wise. You'll probably hand out 5-10 $5 bills during your day (bag boys at curb, locker room attendant/shoe guy, snack stop server, etc.).
[/quote]