[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1331168700' post='4458277']
[quote name='Tanksfurnutin' timestamp='1331138188' post='4455393']
My top five on Long Island are.

Bethpage Black
Montauk Downs
Bethpage Red
Long Island National
Tall Grass

I will say that I'm a little biased because I don't like taking a golf cart so I tend to play at places that are conducive to walking. Based on Asong's suggestion I'm going to have to check out EZLinks and GolfNow for some tee time specials.
[/quote]

A tip for you...if you use EZLinks, they have a special section called "Tee Time Specials", and if the course you play uses EZLinks as their reservation system, they will usually have 2 tee times per day that are discounted...usually one at 11am and another one at 1pm, though for different courses, those times might vary.

The other tip is the "Name Your Price" section...where it's kind of like Priceline in that you select the date, time, course, and number of players, and then submit a price you're willing to pay (including cart), and if they accept your named price, your credit card gets charged immediately and you have a tee time.

Usually, if you offer a price that's just over 50% of the listed full rack-rate, it'll automatically accept your price. For example, if the rack rate of a given course is $60 with cart, if you offer $31 or $32, there's a very good chance it'll get accepted. If your price gets rejected, then you cannot make another offer for 3 hours (or was it 2 hours...can't remember exactly). To overcome that, you just create another account using another email address.

And finally, all the EZLinks Tee Time Specials and Name Your Price includes a cart in all the rates but obviously, it doesn't mean you have to take one when you get to the course, since you like to walk.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to have to try these sites out this season.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='akscorcia' timestamp='1331161090' post='4457567']
[quote name='Tanksfurnutin' timestamp='1331138188' post='4455393']
My top five on Long Island are.

Bethpage Black
Montauk Downs
Bethpage Red
Long Island National
Tall Grass

I will say that I'm a little biased because I don't like taking a golf cart so I tend to play at places that are conducive to walking. Based on Asong's suggestion I'm going to have to check out EZLinks and GolfNow for some tee time specials.
[/quote]

For all of Long Island I might bump out LI National and put in Eisenhower Red.
[/quote]

I'm embarrassed to say that I've never played Eisenhower Red. I live out east so when I plan on going into Nassau County I end up at Bethpage.

No, I would not even remotely consider Douglaston to be top anything...well, other than their conditioning and greens...they're one of, if not the best conditioned out of the muni-NYC park courses. And no, I don't belong to the men's club there...I'm only 34 years old...I think you might have to be well into your 50s or 60s, haha. The reason why I play it so often is because it's literally a 5 minute drive from me (I consider it my home course), and I never pay rack rates...they are always on EZLinks (Tee Time Specials) or GolfNow, not to mention coupons on their website...I never pay more than $35-$40 to play in peak season including cart, but I wouldn't play it if I had to pay $75. I just pointed Douglaston out as a "muni" in that I didn't mean the word muni in a negative connotation, is all.

I never said I automatically rejected Oyster Bay because of the price...I just said for that kind of money (full rack rate), I'd rather play elsewhere on LI. I do agree with most of your other picks, so I will check out Oyster Bay some day this season...maybe for a twilight rate or other special. Hard to explain, but perhaps I have a weird perceived notion of value or worth?

I haven't yet played L.I. National but have been meaning to...such a trek though. How do you like Tallgrass? Haven't played there either but will definitely play it soon. You don't like Hamlet Willow Creek? I like it a better than I liked Cherry Creek (Links). Maybe I'm biased but Willow Creek is where I first broke 80, lol.

What do you usually shoot? Maybe we can play a round together...maybe even at Oyster Bay, haha...wink.gif

I like this website/blog for general information on the LI courses...I'm pretty sure you've seen it before? http://www.golfonlongisland.com/

That is a good website. We've been doing a little content sharing http://scorciaonpar.com/

Anthony, I don't mean any disrespect but your website, particularly the home page, is very cluttered and very hard to navigate. It seems that most of the content is links to external sources (which is fine), but to me, it looks quite disorganized and honestly, a bit amateurish. I did give it an attempt to go through your content and for me personally, I'm not really interested in just audio. I'd rather have either video or just written content, whether it'd be about golf or not.

When I realized that you have some written content on the blog section, the stories itself are fine but navigating to it, as well as the presentation of the blog archives, could use a lot of work.

And because I saw a link to your website on WRX, I gave it more time than I normally would for a new website, but if I didn't see your post here and I happened to come across your website randomly, I would be have been out of there in less than 10 seconds.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way...just trying to give my honest feedback...but your website didn't do a great job of capturing my attention or interest, which I assume is how a lot of people browse new online sources...it just didn't have any stickiness for me to spend any time on it...

asong77,

No worries and thank you for the review. I appreciate you giving my site the time to evaluate. I wanted to build a site on my own because 1. I wanted to learn how to do it and 2. I wanted the freedom to do what I wanted to without being hindered by templates. Now that I have all that I need to know, I will be transforming it into something that will have a smoother presentation and navigation. Thanks again and hope we can tee it up this summer.

Anthony

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1331166404' post='4458049']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1331144169' post='4456141']
There has been quite an infusion of younger talent in that club in recent years. If you can play (and if you broke 80 at Willow I imagine you can shoot mid-70's or better fairly regularly at Douglaston, they're always looking for new talent.

On the weekend ? Including reservation fee and cart ?

While L.I. National IS a very nice track it's probably a bit overrated. Many of the holes are WIDE open and you can pretty much hit it anywhere and still be in play. Not sure if I played Willow Creek. I *think* I did once. Is that the course on the north shore where most of the greens have elephants buried under them ? :lol: If so, yes, I played it once. Pretty good as I recall but I sometimes have to play a course a few times before I'm ready to express an "educated" :rolleyes: opinion about it.

I usually play in Florida as I now live here. The last couple of Summers I've come back up to L.I. to play with my old club for 4 months. Not sure if I'll be doing that this year though. As you might suspect I've played at Douglaston quite a bit. I'm ONE of those "old guys" in the club there. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]

Oh yeah? I didn't know that about the club...are you one of the guys who has their name listed on the plaques inside the grill? Yeah, I usually shoot in the mid 70s at Douglaston (if I don't a blow-up round), but I have a core group of 3 regular buddies that I play with every weekend, so no real interest in joining a club. And sometimes during the week, I like to play alone and don't mind getting paired with strangers (invariably almost always middle-aged Korean guys).

And yeah, I don't pay more than $40 on the weekends at Douglaston...it's usually because I play after 11 AM and not early morning. Douglaston is on EZLinks, and I've played for as low as $30 on the weekends (11AM or 1PM), and they always have coupons on their website. Right now, for their winter/spring special, it's $34 to ride on the weekends after 11 AM, and in the summer, it's $40. Reservations fees are extra if you book directly through them, but they are included if you book through EZLinks. But then, they hit you with a $2.75 parking fee, haha. This is their current coupon direct from their website:

Willow Creek has one of the fastest greens out of the public LI courses, and the course overall is usually immaculately conditioned. It's like a Florida-resort style course, with heavy bunkering and lots of water hazards. They have some short par 4 holes that's just driver/wedge, but overall, I enjoy playing there...especially at twilight...starting at 2pm, their rates drop to like $40-$50 with a cart. Also one of the few LI courses that have a grass range (only on weekends) and a decent bunker practice area...good thing because you WILL be in a lot of them, lol.

If you make it up to NY this summer, give me a shout and maybe we can play a round together at Douglaston or Oyster Bay (though you'll probably kick my young-ish arse)...
[/quote]

Yeah, my name's up there a few times. ;)

So you play after 11 on the weekends. I imagine that is cheaper. But we play "prime time". Sunday mornings at 7:30. It's a pretty good group of guys. We play a team money game every week, have tournaments throughout the year and go on 4 or 5 outings as well; Grossinger's, Tarry Brae, LI National, Mansion Ridge, Black Bear, Cherry Creek, etc,,,,,, (courses change)

Mid-70's would put you somewhere around the middle of the pack in the club, maybe a little below the halfway point.

Da boyz often play out at Swan Lake on Sundays during the Winter. I imagine they've played a LOT this Winter with all the lack of snow. I almost never played in the Winter. I actually enjoyed the break after the season up there anyway.

If I go up this year I'll give you a shout. :good:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1331176767' post='4459143']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1331144169' post='4456141']
There has been quite an infusion of younger talent in that club in recent years. If you can play (and if you broke 80 at Willow I imagine you can shoot mid-70's or better fairly regularly at Douglaston, they're always looking for new talent.

On the weekend ? Including reservation fee and cart ?

While L.I. National IS a very nice track it's probably a bit overrated. Many of the holes are WIDE open and you can pretty much hit it anywhere and still be in play. Not sure if I played Willow Creek. I *think* I did once. Is that the course on the north shore where most of the greens have elephants buried under them ? :lol: If so, yes, I played it once. Pretty good as I recall but I sometimes have to play a course a few times before I'm ready to express an "educated" :rolleyes: opinion about it.

I usually play in Florida as I now live here. The last couple of Summers I've come back up to L.I. to play with my old club for 4 months. Not sure if I'll be doing that this year though. As you might suspect I've played at Douglaston quite a bit. I'm ONE of those "old guys" in the club there. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]

Oh yeah? I didn't know that about the club...are you one of the guys who has their name listed on the plaques inside the grill? Yeah, I usually shoot in the mid 70s at Douglaston (if I don't a blow-up round), but I have a core group of 3 regular buddies that I play with every weekend, so no real interest in joining a club. And sometimes during the week, I like to play alone and don't mind getting paired with strangers (invariably almost always middle-aged Korean guys).

And yeah, I don't pay more than $40 on the weekends at Douglaston...it's usually because I play after 11 AM and not early morning. Douglaston is on EZLinks, and I've played for as low as $30 on the weekends (11AM or 1PM), and they always have coupons on their website. Right now, for their winter/spring special, it's $34 to ride on the weekends after 11 AM, and in the summer, it's $40. Reservations fees are extra if you book directly through them, but they are included if you book through EZLinks. But then, they hit you with a $2.75 parking fee, haha. This is their current coupon direct from their website:

Willow Creek has one of the fastest greens out of the public LI courses, and the course overall is usually immaculately conditioned. It's like a Florida-resort style course, with heavy bunkering and lots of water hazards. They have some short par 4 holes that's just driver/wedge, but overall, I enjoy playing there...especially at twilight...starting at 2pm, their rates drop to like $40-$50 with a cart. Also one of the few LI courses that have a grass range (only on weekends) and a decent bunker practice area...good thing because you WILL be in a lot of them, lol.

If you make it up to NY this summer, give me a shout and maybe we can play a round together at Douglaston or Oyster Bay (though you'll probably kick my young-ish arse)...
[/quote]

So you play after 11 on the weekends. I imagine that is cheaper. But we play "prime time". Sunday mornings at 7:30. It's a pretty good group of guys. We play a team money game every week, have tournaments throughout the year and go on 4 or 5 outings as well; Grossinger's, Tarry Brae, LI National, Mansion Ridge, Black Bear, Cherry Creek, etc,,,,,, (courses change)

Mid-70's would put you somewhere around the middle of the pack in the club, maybe a little below the halfway point.

Da boyz often play out at Swan Lake on Sundays during the Winter. I imagine they've played a LOT this Winter with all the lack of snow. I almost never played in the Winter. I actually enjoyed the break after the season up there anyway.

[/quote]

Oh yeah? That's cool...you must be a player. I forget the name of that one guy who was up on there many, many times in the early-mid 90s?...Larry something or rather?

Though you'll definitely thump me, sounds good. I did make my an eagle at number 7 just last week (my first one at that hole), though I already had one at 18 two years ago. That's my only claim to fame at Douglaston, haha.

[quote name='akscorcia' timestamp='1331170809' post='4458521']
asong77,
No worries and thank you for the review. I appreciate you giving my site the time to evaluate. I wanted to build a site on my own because 1. I wanted to learn how to do it and 2. I wanted the freedom to do what I wanted to without being hindered by templates. Now that I have all that I need to know, I will be transforming it into something that will have a smoother presentation and navigation. Thanks again and hope we can tee it up this summer.

Anthony
[b]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the comments. I debated whether to provide constructive criticism but I figured if I had my own website, I would want to hear feedback too, whether positive or negative. I'll look forward to the updated website, as there's currently no really good LI golf websites other than the aforementioned golfonlongisland.com.

Let me know if you ever want to play a round during the week...I have lots of free time on the weekdays.

Gopherguts - as someone who is intimately familiar with Douglaston, you might appreciate what happened to me earlier today than most. I posted this in like 5 other threads and in all various sections (haha), but I wanted to add it here just for you:

I played a round earlier today (68 degrees but very windy in NY) at my local muni course. This is my third round with my new MP-59s and overall 6th round this "winter", and I made my first ever ACE!!

It was at Douglaston Golf Club (a local NYC muni course) at the 15th hole, a 181 yard par 3 hole (playing at 170 yards according to my Leupold GX-3), and I hit a smooth 6 iron (with a light tailwind) with a slight draw to a pin on the left side of the green. I started it at the center of the green and it was drawing and heading right at the pin. I knew it was going to be close, and I also knew I had struck it dead center, as feedback and feel is obviously awesome with the MP-59s, but I lost the ball right near the pin and didn't see it on the green anywhere. I figured with the solid strike and slight tailwind that I flew it over the green, so we drove up and parked our carts, and I went to go grab my wedge and putter when one of my playing partners (a friend of a friend that I was playing with) screamed that it was in the hole! High-fives, fist bumps, man-hugs all around...and a quick photo.

I was in major shock...I've come close a few times but actually making an ace after just playing 6-7 years was unbelievable! The pitch mark suggested that the ball one-hopped right into the hole, as it was about a foot away from the cup. I'm really glad my first ever hole-in-one was a well-struck shot and not an entirely 100% lucky worm-burner or anything. Unfortunately, I didn't actually see it go into the hole, but nevertheless, I can claim one now! As I type this, I am still in disbelief...

I play this course pretty often, as it's 5 minutes away from my house, and while very short at only 5469 yards from the back tees (par 67, primarily because of four par 3s on the back nine), it is pretty tight with a lot of trees, and not as easy as the scorecard suggests...the course has a lot of undulation and a number of blind shots, with some tricky, severely sloped greens.

On a "normal' day during peak season when my swing is decent, I usually shoot between 7 to 10 over at this course, but today, I had a horrible front nine, shooting 9 over. I started the 10th hole with a triple bogey (hit tee shot OB), but recovered and then went birdie, birdie, bogey, par...and then made the ace on number 15. After the ace, I proceeded to make bogey on 16 (missed a 4 footer for par while still thinking about the ace, lol) and then finished with par, bogey for a final tally of 2 over on the back nine, which ties my career best back nine on this course. Ended up shooting 11 over, even after the bad front nine of 9 over, but I couldn't care less about today's overall score...the ace on 15 was all that mattered!

As a local muni course, not much of a clubhouse or a bar, but it didn't matter, as the bar area was closed as we finished our rounds. I bought dinner for my playing partners, but I obviously didn't mind at all. And I owe it all to my MP-59s...and of course, a healthy dose of luck!! Haha.

Not a pretty scorecard but the only hole that mattered was number 15:

douglastonhole-in-one1-03_08_2012.jpg

douglastonhole-in-one2-03_08_2012.jpg

DouglastonACE-03_08_2012.jpg

[quote name='The Golfing Boy' timestamp='1331223002' post='4461761']
Thanks for the list of courses cannot wait to try some of them out over the year. I live in Northern New Jersey and even though it takes me about 1and 1/2 hours to 2 hours to get out to these courses, all nice courses and well worth it.
[/quote]

Where in Northern NJ do you live? I live right at the border of Queens and Nassau County in Bayside, but I play quite frequently in NJ too. River Vale, and though not technically NJ, just north of it, NY Country Club and Patriot Hills. We make the drive out to the Crystal Springs courses (Ballyowen and Wild Turkey) a few times a year. Also play every so often at the Somerset County courses (Warrenbrook, Quail Brook, and LOVE Neshanic Valley).

If you come out to LI and want a playing partner, definitely send me a PM.

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1331192346' post='4460191']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1331176767' post='4459143']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh yeah? That's cool...you must be a player. I forget the name of that one guy who was up on there many, many times in the early-mid 90s?...Larry something or rather?

Though you'll definitely thump me, sounds good. I did make my an eagle at number 7 just last week (my first one at that hole), though I already had one at 18 two years ago. That's my only claim to fame at Douglaston, haha.
[/quote]
Larry Miller. I think he won the C.C about 7 out of 9 from mid/late 80's into early/mid 90's. Not overly long but he hit it very straight and very consistently. Had a reputation of not being a very good putter because he had so many putts per round. Problem there is he hit 15 or 16 greens per round so of COURSE he's going to have a lot of putts.

He left right around mid-90's or so but he wouldn't have dominated much longer anyway. The club has gotten considerably stronger since then.

Me ? Yeah, a "player" on Dougie. :rolleyes: Off Dougie I range from a 3 to a 5. :hi:

My claim to fame there is a few C.C.'s and the only double-eagle in club history (on 7). ;)

Larry Miller. I think he won the C.C about 7 out of 9 from mid/late 80's into early/mid 90's. Not overly long but he hit it very straight and very consistently. Had a reputation of not being a very good putter because he had so many putts per round. Problem there is he hit 15 or 16 greens per round so of COURSE he's going to have a lot of putts.

He left right around mid-90's or so but he wouldn't have dominated much longer anyway. The club has gotten considerably stronger since then.

Me ? Yeah, a "player" on Dougie. :rolleyes: Off Dougie I range from a 3 to a 5. :hi:

My claim to fame there is a few C.C.'s and the only double-eagle in club history (on 7). ;)

Oh wow, that's pretty awesome and impressive...congrats on the double eagle! Too bad you couldn't see it going in! Did you look around for your ball down the hill before you realized it was in the cup?

Not as impressive as your albatross, but now, I have a legitimate claim to fame after my ace on 15 earlier today!!! hi.gif

partytime2.gif

Oh wow, that's pretty awesome and impressive...congrats on the double eagle! Too bad you couldn't see it going in! Did you look around for your ball down the hill before you realized it was in the cup?

Not as impressive as your albatross, but now, I have a legitimate claim to fame after my ace on 15 earlier today!!! hi.gif

:partytime2:

Congratulations !!! Where's my beer ?!?!?! :partytime2:

Correct, as you know I didn't see it go in. Funny though. It was playing down wind and I tagged a drive pretty good but up into the left rough. Drew a bad lie. It was sitting down. Definitely coming out "squirting" and low.

Knew where the pin was, may a really good swing and it came out exactly as I thought it would. Told my playing partner "That could be really good - it's right at it.

We get down the hill and look around. 1 guy's still up the hill, another is 10 yards short of the green and the other guy's looking into the 6th fairway for his and we can't see mine. My partner says "Maybe it's in the hole". I walk up to the green, then the cup, look down and there it was peeking up at me. A deuce.

We have a hole-in-one pool at the club. I didn't win it for the double eagle. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Correct, as you know I didn't see it go in. Funny though. It was playing down wind and I tagged a drive pretty good but up into the left rough. Drew a bad lie. It was sitting down. Definitely coming out "squirting" and low.

Knew where the pin was, may a really good swing and it came out exactly as I thought it would. Told my playing partner "That could be really good - it's right at it.

We get down the hill and look around. 1 guy's still up the hill, another is 10 yards short of the green and the other guy's looking into the 6th fairway for his and we can't see mine. My partner says "Maybe it's in the hole". I walk up to the green, then the cup, look down and there it was peeking up at me. A deuce.

We have a hole-in-one pool at the club. I didn't win it for the double eagle. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Ahahaha! I'm sure you didn't mind not winning the ace pool with your albatross. Numbers will vary depending on who you ask, the skill of a golfer, etc. but the odds of a double eagle is something like 6 million to 1, whereas the hole-in-one is only like 13,000 to 1. But if you ask me, I'd rather have the hole-in-one than the double eagle, though now, I want one too...biggrin.gif

And beers are definitely on me if you make it up to NY this season! Where in FL did you move to?

Nassau:

Bethpage Black
Bethpage Red
Harbor Links*

Suffolk:

Montauk Downs
LI National**
Hamlet WIllow Creek
Tallgrass ***

* Harbor Links is only listed because the golf course is nice. The experience, however, is horrible. You have to get there an hour early just to find out that they are 30 minutes behind on the first tee. After waiting 90 minutes, you are then treated with a 5 1/2 hour round with no beverage cart anywhere in sight. On top of that they are overpriced and nickle and dime you to death (i.e. $5 reservation fee). Staff is rude too (maybe because they hear nothing but complaints all day without doing anything about it.) Only play here on off days and hours when the course isn't busy.

** LI National - Havent played there in a couple of years and they are under new ownership I believe. I heard they put some $ into the course but maybe someone else can attest to whether or not much has changed. Nice layout, nice looking course, just needs to be better maintained (at least when I last saw it). Nice par 3's, tought finishing stretch, good variety in deisgn, and some risk reward holes. Very enjoyable.

*** Tallgrass is a fun course but is very overrated. They advertise that it's the No. 2 course on LI but the other 6 courses I listed are all better. I think it's easier than people make it out to be.

Ahahaha! I'm sure you didn't mind not winning the ace pool with your albatross. Numbers will vary depending on who you ask, the skill of a golfer, etc. but the odds of a double eagle is something like 6 million to 1, whereas the hole-in-one is only like 13,000 to 1. But if you ask me, I'd rather have the hole-in-one than the double eagle, though now, I want one too...biggrin.gif

And beers are definitely on me if you make it up to NY this season! Where in FL did you move to?

The hole-in-one pool was around $800 at the time. It's now up to almost $2K but I think the present committee capped it at $1200 and any extra goes to the next HIO.

Define irony. I was the President of the club that year. During the Winter, when we have a meeting to make the rules adjustments (there are always a few) for the following year, I SWEAR that I had considered offering up a proposal to amend the rules to INCLUDE the albatross as an OBVIOUS HIO winner but for whatever reason never got around to it. :ninja:

[quote name='harpua728' timestamp='1331398651' post='4476305']
Nassau:

Bethpage Black
Bethpage Red
Harbor Links*

Suffolk:

Montauk Downs
LI National**
Hamlet WIllow Creek
Tallgrass ***

* Harbor Links is only listed because the golf course is nice. The experience, however, is horrible. You have to get there an hour early just to find out that they are 30 minutes behind on the first tee. After waiting 90 minutes, you are then treated with a 5 1/2 hour round with no beverage cart anywhere in sight. On top of that they are overpriced and nickle and dime you to death (i.e. $5 reservation fee). Staff is rude too (maybe because they hear nothing but complaints all day without doing anything about it.) Only play here on off days and hours when the course isn't busy.

** LI National - Havent played there in a couple of years and they are under new ownership I believe. I heard they put some $ into the course but maybe someone else can attest to whether or not much has changed. Nice layout, nice looking course, just needs to be better maintained (at least when I last saw it). Nice par 3's, tought finishing stretch, good variety in deisgn, and some risk reward holes. Very enjoyable.

*** Tallgrass is a fun course but is very overrated. They advertise that it's the No. 2 course on LI but the other 6 courses I listed are all better. I think it's easier than people make it out to be.
[/quote]

Though I haven't yet played either Tallgrass or LI National, I agree with your other picks and opinions...especially about Harbor Links. There's no way I'm paying full weekend, peak-time rates to play a 6 hour round, not to mention a range with the really thin and cheap mats. Their twilight and off-season rates (assuming you can even get a reservation) is quite reasonable though. I play there pretty often and I haven't really experienced rude staff, but I absolutely hate it when they're cart-parth only (which is pretty often whenever it rains the previous night).

I like Hamlet Willow Creek for it's superb conditioning and their immaculate greens. The course itself has some short and easy par 4s, but I sure don't mind some scoring opportunities. They also have a very nice grass range (only open on the weekends), and their afternoon rates and/or GolfNow specials are very reasonable too. It's just a trek to get out there every weekend though (exit 63 off the LIE)...

Pine Ridge also has a nice grass range on the weekends (less than 10 minutes away from Hamlet Willow Creek). A tight, challenging course too...and though not overly quick, their greens roll very true. I just wish they would pave their cart paths so I don't end up eating dust all day...

But the best public practice facility on LI has to be at Hamlet Wind Watch...a nice grass range and a great, separate short game practice area with it's own practice green, where you can hit chips, pitches, bunker shots, and even 90-100 yard shots out onto the main range. I believe it was $30 for an all-day pass with unlimited balls, and they give you a shag bag for the short game area too. I think they (along with Hamlet Willow Creek and Hamlet Country Club (private), were bought or taken over by another company last year, so I'm not sure if their practice facility policy will change this season, but I sure hope it doesn't...as it's the best place to practice on LI.

The worst grass range has to go to Cherry Creek (Links)...I'd rather hit off mats than to hit from what they consider a grass range. It's basically a rock hard patch of dirt, and though somewhat varying shades of green, it's most definitely not grass...it's more like big patches of weeds and other vegetation that can't be called grass. And what course makes you carry a sand rake in your cart...WTF?!?

The worst mats range goes to Middle Island Country Club...not a single stall (out of approximately 10 stalls and at best, about 50 yards wide) had a decent mat that wasn't tearing or bare down to the white plastic underneath the two times I've played there. But the actual course itself isn't bad at all...I understand they've done some major cutting down of trees and other work on their 3 nines. It's followed very closely by the range at Lido Beach...again, very cheap, thin, and bare mats.

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1331517509' post='4486323']
Nassau:

Bethpage Black
Bethpage Red
Harbor Links*

Suffolk:

Montauk Downs
LI National**
Hamlet WIllow Creek
Tallgrass ***

[/quote]

Though I haven't yet played either Tallgrass or LI National, I agree with your other picks and opinions...especially about Harbor Links. There's no way I'm paying full weekend, peak-time rates to play a 6 hour round, not to mention a range with the really thin and cheap mats. Their twilight and off-season rates (assuming you can even get a reservation) is quite reasonable though. I play there pretty often and I haven't really experienced rude staff, but I absolutely hate it when they're cart-parth only (which is pretty often whenever it rains the previous night).

I like Hamlet Willow Creek for it's superb conditioning and their immaculate greens. The course itself has some short and easy par 4s, but I sure don't mind some scoring opportunities. They also have a very nice grass range (only open on the weekends), and their afternoon rates and/or GolfNow specials are very reasonable too. It's just a trek to get out there every weekend though (exit 63 off the LIE)...

Pine Ridge also has a nice grass range on the weekends (less than 10 minutes away from Hamlet Willow Creek). A tight, challenging course too...and though not overly quick, their greens roll very true. I just wish they would pave their cart paths so I don't end up eating dust all day...

But the best public practice facility on LI has to be at Hamlet Wind Watch...a nice grass range and a great, separate short game practice area with it's own practice green, where you can hit chips, pitches, bunker shots, and even 90-100 yard shots out onto the main range. I believe it was $30 for an all-day pass with unlimited balls, and they give you a shag bag for the short game area too. I think they (along with Hamlet Willow Creek and Hamlet Country Club (private), were bought or taken over by another company last year, so I'm not sure if their practice facility policy will change this season, but I sure hope it doesn't...as it's the best place to practice on LI.

The worst grass range has to go to Cherry Creek (Links)...I'd rather hit off mats than to hit from what they consider a grass range. It's basically a rock hard patch of dirt, and though somewhat varying shades of green, it's most definitely not grass...it's more like big patches of weeds and other vegetation that can't be called grass. And what course makes you carry a sand rake in your cart...WTF?!?

The worst mats range goes to Middle Island Country Club...not a single stall (out of approximately 10 stalls and at best, about 50 yards wide) had a decent mat that wasn't tearing or bare down to the white plastic underneath the two times I've played there. But the actual course itself isn't bad at all...I understand they've done some major cutting down of trees and other work on their 3 nines. It's followed very closely by the range at Lido Beach...again, very cheap, thin, and bare mats.
[/quote]

Although I do agree that Harbor Links has reasonable twilight rates, it's absolutely infuriating knowing that it's going to be tough to get 18 holes in with a late tee time, then finding out they are 20 minutes behind schedule. Before hitting a ball you know that you have no chance of completing a full round. Plus, in the peak summer season, twilight starts at 5 so there really is no chance of finishing 18.

[/quote]

I also think Tallgrass is overrated. I can never understand how it consistently gets ranked above Bethpage Red. As you said it is a fun course and when the wind is up it can play difficult. I don't know why but I always find the greens tough to read there.

[quote name='AJ*' timestamp='1331582267' post='4492009']
Didnt see anybody mention Great Rock on here. Great course. Tough greens. When the conditions are right id rate it right up there with LI National as my two favorite daily fee courses. Montauk is up there too.
[/quote]

Hey AJ - I've only played Great Rock once and it was over 5 years ago, at least. I can't remember it too well but I too have heard good things. I'm going to try to get on this year. How are the conditions there usually?

Didnt see anybody mention Great Rock on here. Great course. Tough greens. When the conditions are right id rate it right up there with LI National as my two favorite daily fee courses. Montauk is up there too.
[/quote]

Montauk is up there in the first page of the thread. I agree, when the conditions are right, Great Rock is a fun course. Number 10 can be a beast of a par 4 when the wind is up.

I play @ Pine Hills (Exit 69 LIE, someone said 70 before), and I'm surprised no-one really mentions it. putting/chipping areas, pretty decent driving range..I believe in the summer they let you hit off grass as well..gets a little slow sometimes though, from my experience.

plays 7132 from the blues too. 131 slope, 74.4 rating, par73.

WITB
Titleist TS2 - 10.5*
Taylormade M2 15* 3w 
Callaway X2 Hot 2 Hybrid - 18* 
Titleist 714CB Irons 4-P Steelfiber 95's
Vokey SM7 Wedges 54*10 M Grind & 58*11 K Grind
Odyssey White Hot Rossie

[quote name='One Gray GLI' timestamp='1331583630' post='4492237']
I play @ Pine Hills (Exit 69 LIE, someone said 70 before), and I'm surprised no-one really mentions it. putting/chipping areas, pretty decent driving range..I believe in the summer they let you hit off grass as well..gets a little slow sometimes though, from my experience.

plays 7132 from the blues too. 131 slope, 74.4 rating, par73.
[/quote]

Pine Hills was mentioned earlier in the thread. I mentioned that I thought it was comparable to Rock Hill. Yes, they have a grass range that is open most of the time. The grass on the range can be touch and go.

[quote name='harpua728' timestamp='1331583481' post='4492221']
[/quote]

Hey AJ - I've only played Great Rock once and it was over 5 years ago, at least. I can't remember it too well but I too have heard good things. I'm going to try to get on this year. How are the conditions there usually?
[/quote]

Conditions vary really. Some years its immaculate. Last year or the year before (cant remember which) they were dealing with some kind issue on the greens. Hopefully theyre up to their usual standards this year because when its good its probably the best course for the price around imo.

[quote name='AJ*' timestamp='1331640012' post='4497625']
[quote name='harpua728' timestamp='1331583481' post='4492221']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Conditions vary really. Some years its immaculate. Last year or the year before (cant remember which) they were dealing with some kind issue on the greens. Hopefully theyre up to their usual standards this year because when its good its probably the best course for the price around imo.
[/quote]

I played there a couple of times last year later in the season and the greens were in excellent condition. I enjoy the layout but the few times I've been there it's played a little slow.