2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Long Island Golf

akscorcia

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on where on long island you are looking. i dont know nassau county that well aside from bethpage but the black and red would probably be 1 and 2 on my list although, full disclosure, i havent been over there in a couple of years. in suffolk i like mill pond and long island national, if you are looking eastward. my favorite is probably crab meadow on the north shore, it has some of the best views on the island, but take that with a grain of salt because i grew up near there and played it all the time when i was younger so i am a bit biased. its been a while since i have played somewhere other than sunken meadow (which isnt bad but not great by a long shot) because i work there and free golf is free golf. i played a PAT at tall grass last year and the course isnt bad but we had some horrible weather so my memory is tainted when it comes to that track. i havent played great rock or the courses at cherry creek although they seem to get a lot of love. where on the island are you looking?

[quote name='CJP1012' timestamp='1330815543' post='4428287']
NASSAU COUNTY:

BETHPAGE BLACK
BETHPAGE RED
HARBOR LINKS
EISENHOWER - RED
BETHPAGE BLUE

SUFFOLK COUNTY:

LONG ISLAND NATIONAL
TALLGRASS
SPRING LAKE
ROCK HILL
HAMLET WINDWATCH
[/quote]

Certainly can't argue with your Nassau county list, but I might throw in Willow Creek instead of Windwatch.

[quote name='pdnsdb' timestamp='1330813897' post='4428099']
it depends on where on long island you are looking. i dont know nassau county that well aside from bethpage but the black and red would probably be 1 and 2 on my list although, full disclosure, i havent been over there in a couple of years. in suffolk i like mill pond and long island national, if you are looking eastward. my favorite is probably crab meadow on the north shore, it has some of the best views on the island, but take that with a grain of salt because i grew up near there and played it all the time when i was younger so i am a bit biased. its been a while since i have played somewhere other than sunken meadow (which isnt bad but not great by a long shot) because i work there and free golf is free golf. i played a PAT at tall grass last year and the course isnt bad but we had some horrible weather so my memory is tainted when it comes to that track. i havent played great rock or the courses at cherry creek although they seem to get a lot of love. where on the island are you looking?
[/quote]

Just a general question. Although I do see what your saying--Long Island golf is spread out enough to warrant different regional considerations, I just was curious what people liked. I was considering doing a piece for my website and radio show based on what people thought here.

I like Mill Pond as well. I usually play there once or twice a year. Up in your area, I play Smithtown Landing the most. I haven't played Crab Meadow in some time, but may have to pay a visit this year.

Thank you for the response.

I couldn't remember the name but yes, WIllow Creek is another one. I use to live in Smithtown and have played Smithtown Landing 100s of times. Great short track with postage stamp greens. Crab Meadow is a nice track as well. The back nine is very nice. Just wish that course had better conditions. Mill Pond is not much of a conversation as far as I am concerned. There is also Cherry Creek with two courses, LInks and Woods.

[quote name='CJP1012' timestamp='1330828550' post='4429573']
I couldn't remember the name but yes, WIllow Creek is another one. I use to live in Smithtown and have played Smithtown Landing 100s of times. Great short track with postage stamp greens. Crab Meadow is a nice track as well. The back nine is very nice. Just wish that course had better conditions. Mill Pond is not much of a conversation as far as I am concerned. There is also Cherry Creek with two courses, LInks and Woods.
[/quote]

I like Cherry Creek as well. Two very distinct courses. You better drive it straight at the Woods or that's where you will spend you day.

Some good suggestions already. Other than the obvious Bethpage Black and Red, my top five would be (in no particular order):

1. Harbor Links (faux-links course, Arizona desert-style on some holes, tough greens to read but VERY slow pace; twilight specials are much more reasonable than their rack weekend rates, which is extreme)
2. Hamlet Willow Creek (one of, if not the best conditioned Long Island public course; Florida resort-style course with a lot of water and sand; good deals on Golfnow.com)
3. Pine Ridge (very well conditioned, and plays a lot tougher than scorecard would suggest...tough 3 hole stretch on the back 9...almost like a mini-Amen Corner on LI; good deals on EZLinks)
4. Montauk Downs (bring your A-game...very tough course, especially when the wind is blowing, which is most of the time; NYS Park so relatively inexpensive for NY residents)
5. Spring Lake - Thunderbird (tight, tree-lined course, massive undulating greens; reasonable priced with lots of specials offered)

I really tried to like Crab Meadow...played it a few times to give it a chance but I just couldn't get myself to like it. The views are great, and the layout is semi-decent, but the tiny and very bumpy greens turned me off considerably. Lido is a decent track with some tough holes (especially so when the wind is up), but I can't get over their overall crappy conditions and the 6+ hour rounds...if I wanted to spend 6 hours playing a round, I'd rather spend that 6 hours playing any of the Bethpage courses. Hamlet Wind Watch is an ok course...but definitely NOT at their rack rate of $90-$100 on the weekends...I'll play it when they run specials for like $40-$50 of Golfnow.com.

OP, if you need an opinion on courses throughout the US or even the world, sabram is the man to talk to...he posted earlier in this thread. He's played pretty much anywhere and everywhere...and he is spot on with his descriptions and opinions.

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1330914337' post='4437203']
4. [b]Montauk Downs[/b] (bring your A-game...very tough course, especially when the wind is blowing, which is most of the time; NYS Park so relatively inexpensive for NY residents)
[/quote]
Cha CHING !!! :ok:

Outside of Bethpage Black Montauk Downs is THE best daily fee course on the Island (if you can stand the drive out there).

Surprised there's no love for the Town of Oyster Bay Golf Course. Great track. :good:

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1330926024' post='4438537']
4. [b]Montauk Downs[/b] (bring your A-game...very tough course, especially when the wind is blowing, which is most of the time; NYS Park so relatively inexpensive for NY residents)
[/quote]

Outside of Bethpage Black Montauk Downs is THE best daily fee course on the Island (if you can stand the drive out there).

Surprised there's no love for the Town of Oyster Bay Gold Course. Great track. :good:
[/quote]

I heard that Oyster Bay is a nice course but they completely rape you on green fees if you're not a resident. As a non-resident, non-member, weekend green fees are $73, another $40 for a cart, and even a $5 reservation fee...so we're talking $118...I I don't care how good of a course it is, I'm not paying almost 120 bucks for a 5800 yard muni course, solely based on the principle.

It's more expensive than Harbor Links, Bethpage Black...in fact, unless I'm mistaken, it's the most expensive public track on Long Island...

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1330933441' post='4438887']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1330926024' post='4438537']
[/quote]

Surprised there's no love for the Town of Oyster Bay Gold Course. Great track. :good:
[/quote]

I heard that Oyster Bay is a nice course but they completely rape you on green fees if you're not a resident. As a non-resident, non-member, weekend green fees are $73, another $40 for a cart, and even a $5 reservation fee...so we're talking $118...I I don't care how good of a course it is, I'm not paying almost 120 bucks for a 5800 yard muni course, solely based on the principle.

It's more expensive than Harbor Links, Bethpage Black...in fact, unless I'm mistaken, it's the most expensive public track on Long Island...
[/quote]
I believe the title is "Long Island Daily Fee Tracks", not "Bang for the buck", correct ?

There are few golf courses on Long Island that charge non-residents the same rate as residents.

Bethpage Black is [b]$150[/b] non-resident weekend greens fee (apples to apples) and you CAN'T ride a cart there even if you wanted to.

But I believe the $40 cart fee (@ Oyster Bay) is for 2 people and, UNLIKE Eisenhower Red, if you're a "single" you only pay for 1/2 the cart so that would be $20 less. And I believe MOST "munis" on Long Island charge a reservation fee.

Also, while not a long course the "tips" are almost 6,400 and there are a number of tight driving holes. With a slope of 131 and a course rating of 71.5 most golfers will find the course a worthy adversary. ;)

Golf is an expensive sport, especially so in one of the more wealthy areas of the country although compared to SOME, L.I. isn't all that bad.

Checked out Torrey Pines (South) lately ? $229 weekend non-resident. How's that for a "muni". Oh, and Pebble Beach is open to the public as well. :good:

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1330966558' post='4440651']
I believe the title is "Long Island Daily Fee Tracks", not "Bang for the buck", correct ?

There are few golf courses on Long Island that charge non-residents the same rate as residents.

Bethpage Black is [b]$150[/b] non-resident weekend greens fee (apples to apples) and you CAN'T ride a cart there even if you wanted to.

But I believe the $40 cart fee (@ Oyster Bay) is for 2 people and, UNLIKE Eisenhower Red, if you're a "single" you only pay for 1/2 the cart so that would be $20 less. And I believe MOST "munis" on Long Island charge a reservation fee.

Also, while not a long course the "tips" are almost 6,400 and there are a number of tight driving holes. With a slope of 131 and a course rating of 71.5 most golfers will find the course a worthy adversary. ;)

Golf is an expensive sport, especially so in one of the more wealthy areas of the country although compared to SOME, L.I. isn't all that bad.

Checked out Torrey Pines (South) lately ? $229 weekend non-resident. How's that for a "muni". Oh, and Pebble Beach is open to the public as well. :good:
[/quote]

I hear what you're saying...like I said, I've heard great things about Oyster Bay, and you're right, the title IS best daily track and not the best value. Sorry if I sounded like I was trashing the course...I'm certainly not...but based on their prices, they appear not to want to garner a lot of non-resident play. You're obviously a big fan of the course, and I mean nothing personal against you, as your response sounded a little defensive to me. And I didn't mean to use the word "muni" in a derogatory manner...one of my favorite, local NYC course (Douglaston) is a muni, and so is obviously the Bethpage courses and Montauk Downs...

I didn't include Oyster Bay (obviously because I've never played it)...but even if I did, unless it was amazingly good, I still probably wouldn't include it in my top 5 on Long Island regardless of the price...would you include it in YOUR top 5 on LI? There's probably a good reason why no one has already mentioned Oyster Bay...it might be a good track but top 5 on LI? I may be seriously mistaken, but I don't know about that...

Most of the courses already mentioned are semi-private, daily public access courses, so outside of local town muni courses, your statement of "There are few golf courses on Long Island that charge non-residents the same rate as residents." it doesn't really apply to most of the courses already listed.

My mistake on the length of the course...I didn't see the back tees yardage. And your comparison to Bethpage Black isn't entirely apples-to-apples...Bethpage is a [b][u]New York State[/u] [/b]park, so you don't have to live in the town of Bethpage to pay the resident rate of $75 on the weekends...you just have to be a NYS resident. AND Bethpage doesn't charge you a yearly fee to become a member unlike Oyster Bay, whether resident ($200 annually) or non-resident ($350 annually). And obviously, you can't ride a cart on the Black course but even if you WERE able to, it's $34 for an electric cart, so that still puts you at a hypothetical $114, including the reservation fee.

I do understand golf is not cheap...believe me, I have no qualms about dropping over a hundred bucks on green fees, but if I were to do so on LI, my first choice would not be Oyster Bay. You would probably disagree, but it's just my own, personal opinion...that's all.

I would pay $230 to play Torrey Pines at least once, and I would most definitely pay $500+ to play Pebble...maybe if and when Oyster Bay develops a cachet even remotely close to the aforementioned Torrey Pines and Pebble, I'll check it out...but I'm most certainly not in a hurry...

[quote name='asong77' timestamp='1330969631' post='4441009']
I hear what you're saying...like I said, I've heard great things about Oyster Bay, and you're right, the title IS best daily track and not the best value. Sorry if I sounded like I was trashing the course...I'm certainly not...but based on their prices, they appear not to want to garner a lot of non-resident play.

You're obviously a big fan of the course, and I mean nothing personal against you, as your response sounded a little defensive to me.

And I didn't mean to use the word "muni" in a derogatory manner...one of my favorite, local NYC course (Douglaston) is a muni, and so is obviously the Bethpage courses and Montauk Downs...

I didn't include Oyster Bay (obviously because I've never played it)...but even if I did, unless it was amazingly good, I still probably wouldn't include it in my top 5 on Long Island regardless of the price...would you include it in YOUR top 5 on LI?

There's probably a good reason why no one has already mentioned Oyster Bay...it might be a good track but top 5 on LI? I may be seriously mistaken, but I don't know about that...[/quote]
Now you're going to distinguish between resident and non-resident (town, city, county, etc. ? :rolleyes:)

Nope, not a big fan nor am I being defensive nor do I know why nobody mentioned it. It's actually a fairly new course (12 years ?). Maybe that's why ?

I merely suggested Oyster Bay as another "muni" (which I took to mean a course where you do not have to be a "member" to play). And the thread IS "Daily Fee", right ?

Top 5 on L.I. ? OK, I'll play.

Hmmmmm, probably not (on ALL L.I.) but I'd have to give it more thought. One guy broke it down to 5 in Nassau and 5 in Suffolk. DEFINITELY Top 5 in Nassau. Better/tougher track than Eisenhower Red, Bethpage Blue AND Harbor Links although I confess I only played Harbor Links 1 time. If I played it more it might grow on me (but that 17th hole is RIDICULOUS).

As for Suffolk, Montauk Downs is easily #1. After that, maybe L.I. National, Cherry Creek (Links), Spring Lake. Middle Island ain't terrible.

So you like Douglaston ? I'm SURE you wouldn' t be thinking of Douglaston as anywhere NEAR a "Top 20" on Long Island (Queens IS on Long Island). Or would you ? Do you belong to the (Sunday) club there, the one that's been there some 60 years ?

[quote]Most of the courses already mentioned are semi-private, daily public access courses, so outside of local town muni courses, your statement of "There are few golf courses on Long Island that charge non-residents the same rate as residents." it doesn't really apply to most of the courses already listed.

My mistake on the length of the course...I didn't see the back tees yardage. And your comparison to Bethpage Black isn't entirely apples-to-apples...Bethpage is a [b][u]New York State[/u] [/b]park, so you don't have to live in the town of Bethpage to pay the resident rate of $75 on the weekends...you just have to be a NYS resident. AND Bethpage doesn't charge you a yearly fee to become a member unlike Oyster Bay, whether resident ($200 annually) or non-resident ($350 annually). And obviously, you can't ride a cart on the Black course but even if you WERE able to, it's $34 for an electric cart, so that still puts you at a hypothetical $114, including the reservation fee. [/quote]

Not going to bother with who charges higher fees for non-residents as that is irrelevant to the thread - I simply brought it up to you in response to your bringing it up about Oyster Bay.

[quote]I do understand golf is not cheap...believe me, I have no qualms about dropping over a hundred bucks on green fees, but if I were to do so on LI, my first choice would not be Oyster Bay. You would probably disagree, but it's just my own, personal opinion...that's all.

I would pay $230 to play Torrey Pines at least once, and I would most definitely pay $500+ to play Pebble...maybe if and when Oyster Bay develops a cachet even remotely close to the aforementioned Torrey Pines and Pebble, I'll check it out...but I'm most certainly not in a hurry...[/quote]

Don't totally disagree but I wouldn't pay $100 to play Oyster Bay either.

But I don't much like paying $75 (with cart, reservation fee, non-NYC resident, on the weekend) to play Douglaston, a Par 67, 5700 yard muni, either.

Doesn't matter whether I agree about Oyster Bay or not. That's entirely up to you. As I said I wouldn't pay $100 to play it either. But if you're willing to pay over $200 to play Torrey or $500 to play Pebble (either of which I am NOT willing to pay for) then I don't see how you could reject a course you never played for $100, especially since, as you said, you've heard "great things about it". Doesn't make much sense to me.

No, I would not even remotely consider Douglaston to be top anything...well, other than their conditioning and greens...they're one of, if not the best conditioned out of the muni-NYC park courses. And no, I don't belong to the men's club there...I'm only 34 years old...I think you might have to be well into your 50s or 60s, haha. The reason why I play it so often is because it's literally a 5 minute drive from me (I consider it my home course), and I never pay rack rates...they are always on EZLinks (Tee Time Specials) or GolfNow, not to mention coupons on their website...I never pay more than $35-$40 to play in peak season including cart, but I wouldn't play it if I had to pay $75. I just pointed Douglaston out as a "muni" in that I didn't mean the word muni in a negative connotation, is all.

I never said I automatically rejected Oyster Bay because of the price...I just said for that kind of money (full rack rate), I'd rather play elsewhere on LI. I do agree with most of your other picks, so I will check out Oyster Bay some day this season...maybe for a twilight rate or other special. Hard to explain, but perhaps I have a weird perceived notion of value or worth?

I haven't yet played L.I. National but have been meaning to...such a trek though. How do you like Tallgrass? Haven't played there either but will definitely play it soon. You don't like Hamlet Willow Creek? I like it a better than I liked Cherry Creek (Links). Maybe I'm biased but Willow Creek is where I first broke 80, lol.

What do you usually shoot? Maybe we can play a round together...maybe even at Oyster Bay, haha...wink.gif

I like this website/blog for general information on the LI courses...I'm pretty sure you've seen it before? http://www.golfonlongisland.com/

My top five on Long Island are.

Bethpage Black
Montauk Downs
Bethpage Red
Long Island National
Tall Grass

I will say that I'm a little biased because I don't like taking a golf cart so I tend to play at places that are conducive to walking. Based on Asong's suggestion I'm going to have to check out EZLinks and GolfNow for some tee time specials.

No, I would not even remotely consider Douglaston to be top anything...well, other than their conditioning and greens...they're one of, if not the best conditioned out of the muni-NYC park courses. And no, I don't belong to the men's club there...I'm only 34 years old...I think you might have to be well into your 50s or 60s, haha.

There has been quite an infusion of younger talent in that club in recent years. If you can play (and if you broke 80 at Willow I imagine you can shoot mid-70's or better fairly regularly at Douglaston, they're always looking for new talent.

The reason why I play it so often is because it's literally a 5 minute drive from me (I consider it my home course), and I never pay rack rates...they are always on EZLinks (Tee Time Specials) or GolfNow, not to mention coupons on their website...I never pay more than $35-$40 to play in peak season including cart, but I wouldn't play it if I had to pay $75.

On the weekend ? Including reservation fee and cart ?

I haven't yet played L.I. National but have been meaning to...such a trek though. How do you like Tallgrass? Haven't played there either but will definitely play it soon. You don't like Hamlet Willow Creek? I like it a better than I liked Cherry Creek (Links). Maybe I'm biased but Willow Creek is where I first broke 80, lol.

What do you usually shoot? Maybe we can play a round together...maybe even at Oyster Bay, haha...wink.gif

While L.I. National IS a very nice track it's probably a bit overrated. Many of the holes are WIDE open and you can pretty much hit it anywhere and still be in play. Not sure if I played Willow Creek. I *think* I did once. Is that the course on the north shore where most of the greens have elephants buried under them ? :lol: If so, yes, I played it once. Pretty good as I recall but I sometimes have to play a course a few times before I'm ready to express an "educated" :rolleyes: opinion about it.

I usually play in Florida as I now live here. The last couple of Summers I've come back up to L.I. to play with my old club for 4 months. Not sure if I'll be doing that this year though. As you might suspect I've played at Douglaston quite a bit. I'm ONE of those "old guys" in the club there. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

[quote name='The Golfing Boy' timestamp='1331138342' post='4455427']
Played Pine Ridge and Long Island National both last year for the first time. Both awesome courses and can not wait to go back this year.
[/quote]
Don't know Pine Ridge. Where is it ?

I DO know Pine Hills out around exit 70 on the L.I.E. Actually a pretty good and somewhat underrated track, at least as good a test as Rock Hill (which had been mentioned earlier)

[quote name='Tanksfurnutin' timestamp='1331138188' post='4455393']

Bethpage Black
Montauk Downs
Bethpage Red
Long Island National
Tall Grass

I will say that I'm a little biased because I don't like taking a golf cart so I tend to play at places that are conducive to walking. Based on Asong's suggestion I'm going to have to check out EZLinks and GolfNow for some tee time specials.
[/quote]

For all of Long Island I might bump out LI National and put in Eisenhower Red.

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1331144334' post='4456163']
Played Pine Ridge and Long Island National both last year for the first time. Both awesome courses and can not wait to go back this year.
[/quote]

I DO know Pine Hills out around exit 70 on the L.I.E. Actually a pretty good and somewhat underrated track, at least as good a test as Rock Hill (which had been mentioned earlier)
[/quote]

Pine Ridge is out in Coram. They usually have some fast greens. I would say that Rock Hill and Pine Hills are pretty complimentary.

No, I would not even remotely consider Douglaston to be top anything...well, other than their conditioning and greens...they're one of, if not the best conditioned out of the muni-NYC park courses. And no, I don't belong to the men's club there...I'm only 34 years old...I think you might have to be well into your 50s or 60s, haha. The reason why I play it so often is because it's literally a 5 minute drive from me (I consider it my home course), and I never pay rack rates...they are always on EZLinks (Tee Time Specials) or GolfNow, not to mention coupons on their website...I never pay more than $35-$40 to play in peak season including cart, but I wouldn't play it if I had to pay $75. I just pointed Douglaston out as a "muni" in that I didn't mean the word muni in a negative connotation, is all.

I never said I automatically rejected Oyster Bay because of the price...I just said for that kind of money (full rack rate), I'd rather play elsewhere on LI. I do agree with most of your other picks, so I will check out Oyster Bay some day this season...maybe for a twilight rate or other special. Hard to explain, but perhaps I have a weird perceived notion of value or worth?

I like this website/blog for general information on the LI courses...I'm pretty sure you've seen it before? http://www.golfonlongisland.com/

That is a good website. We've been doing a little content sharing http://scorciaonpar.com/

There has been quite an infusion of younger talent in that club in recent years. If you can play (and if you broke 80 at Willow I imagine you can shoot mid-70's or better fairly regularly at Douglaston, they're always looking for new talent.

On the weekend ? Including reservation fee and cart ?

While L.I. National IS a very nice track it's probably a bit overrated. Many of the holes are WIDE open and you can pretty much hit it anywhere and still be in play. Not sure if I played Willow Creek. I *think* I did once. Is that the course on the north shore where most of the greens have elephants buried under them ? :lol: If so, yes, I played it once. Pretty good as I recall but I sometimes have to play a course a few times before I'm ready to express an "educated" :rolleyes: opinion about it.

I usually play in Florida as I now live here. The last couple of Summers I've come back up to L.I. to play with my old club for 4 months. Not sure if I'll be doing that this year though. As you might suspect I've played at Douglaston quite a bit. I'm ONE of those "old guys" in the club there. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Oh yeah? I didn't know that about the club...are you one of the guys who has their name listed on the plaques inside the grill? Yeah, I usually shoot in the mid 70s at Douglaston (if I don't a blow-up round), but I have a core group of 3 regular buddies that I play with every weekend, so no real interest in joining a club. And sometimes during the week, I like to play alone and don't mind getting paired with strangers (invariably almost always middle-aged Korean guys).

And yeah, I don't pay more than $40 on the weekends at Douglaston...it's usually because I play after 11 AM and not early morning. Douglaston is on EZLinks, and I've played for as low as $30 on the weekends (11AM or 1PM), and they always have coupons on their website. Right now, for their winter/spring special, it's $34 to ride on the weekends after 11 AM, and in the summer, it's $40. Reservations fees are extra if you book directly through them, but they are included if you book through EZLinks. But then, they hit you with a $2.75 parking fee, haha. This is their current coupon direct from their website:

douglastoncoupon.jpg

Willow Creek has one of the fastest greens out of the public LI courses, and the course overall is usually immaculately conditioned. It's like a Florida-resort style course, with heavy bunkering and lots of water hazards. They have some short par 4 holes that's just driver/wedge, but overall, I enjoy playing there...especially at twilight...starting at 2pm, their rates drop to like $40-$50 with a cart. Also one of the few LI courses that have a grass range (only on weekends) and a decent bunker practice area...good thing because you WILL be in a lot of them, lol.

If you make it up to NY this summer, give me a shout and maybe we can play a round together at Douglaston or Oyster Bay (though you'll probably kick my young-ish arse)...

[quote name='akscorcia' timestamp='1331161196' post='4457579']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1331144334' post='4456163']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Pine Ridge is out in Coram. They usually have some fast greens. I would say that Rock Hill and Pine Hills are pretty complimentary.
[/quote]

I love playing at Pine Ridge (exit 63 off the LIE). They have some really nice rolling and smooth greens (though not overly fast as one might expect), and a nice grass range too (weekends only). Not a particularly long course (back tees are 6600 yards and middle tees are 6100 yards) but it plays much tougher than it looks on the scorecard. Very tight with lots of trees (mostly pine, as you would imagine), so not overly difficult to find your ball with all the pine straws, but still a very good challenge.

The back nine, particularly holes 11-13, is brutally difficult...from the back tees, 11 is a 589 yard par 5, 12 is a 451 yard par 4, and finally, 13 is a 494 yard par 4...if I come out of that 3 hole stretch 2 or 3 over, I'm happy...it's usually more like 5 or 6 over, haha.

I also like how they have water coolers on every other hole filled with ice-cold water, as well as little ice chests on their carts and free ice. Little touches like that. Not to mention, their green fees are quite reasonable too.

I haven't played Rock Hill or Pine Hills. I've played Swan Lake in Manorville a few times (exit 76)...it's an ok course at best...I particularly didn't care for it it because it's so soggy...it's been like that all 3 times that I've played it. And their idea of a "range" is hitting off a thin, cheap mat into a net that's like 2 feet away from you.

That is a good website. We've been doing a little content sharing http://scorciaonpar.com/

Anthony, I don't mean any disrespect but your website, particularly the home page, is very cluttered and very hard to navigate. It seems that most of the content is links to external sources (which is fine), but to me, it looks quite disorganized and honestly, a bit amateurish. I did give it an attempt to go through your content and for me personally, I'm not really interested in just audio. I'd rather have either video or just written content, whether it'd be about golf or not.

When I realized that you have some written content on the blog section, the stories itself are fine but navigating to it, as well as the presentation of the blog archives, could use a lot of work.

And because I saw a link to your website on WRX, I gave it more time than I normally would for a new website, but if I didn't see your post here and I happened to come across your website randomly, I would be have been out of there in less than 10 seconds.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way...just trying to give my honest feedback...but your website didn't do a great job of capturing my attention or interest, which I assume is how a lot of people browse new online sources...it just didn't have any stickiness for me to spend any time on it...

[quote name='Tanksfurnutin' timestamp='1331138188' post='4455393']

Bethpage Black
Montauk Downs
Bethpage Red
Long Island National
Tall Grass

[/quote]

A tip for you...if you use EZLinks, they have a special section called "Tee Time Specials", and if the course you play uses EZLinks as their reservation system, they will usually have 2 tee times per day that are discounted...usually one at 11am and another one at 1pm, though for different courses, those times might vary.

The other tip is the "Name Your Price" section...where it's kind of like Priceline in that you select the date, time, course, and number of players, and then submit a price you're willing to pay (including cart), and if they accept your named price, your credit card gets charged immediately and you have a tee time.

Usually, if you offer a price that's just over 50% of the listed full rack-rate, it'll automatically accept your price. For example, if the rack rate of a given course is $60 with cart, if you offer $31 or $32, there's a very good chance it'll get accepted. If your price gets rejected, then you cannot make another offer for 3 hours (or was it 2 hours...can't remember exactly). To overcome that, you just create another account using another email address.

And finally, all the EZLinks Tee Time Specials and Name Your Price includes a cart in all the rates but obviously, it doesn't mean you have to take one when you get to the course, since you like to walk.