2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

anser versus anser2

pm4610

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Ping Anser versus the Ping Anser2? I'm not sure I'm

seeing any difference, yet there must be something. Right now I'm using the Ping JAS Anser and I'm sort of interested in the Redwood Anser, however, I've heard great things about the BeNi Anser2 and it seems like people tend to prefer the Anser2 models.

Any info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

p

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Ping Anser versus the Ping Anser2? I'm not sure I'm

seeing any difference, yet there must be something. Right now I'm using the Ping JAS Anser and I'm sort of interested in the Redwood Anser, however, I've heard great things about the BeNi Anser2 and it seems like people tend to prefer the Anser2 models.

Any info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

p

Howdy P. :) Let's see if I can help a little. The classic Pings are very much different than the contemporary ones (basically anything from the G2 on).

Classic: The Anser was the original, and has been offered in several different itinerations. Old school ones are called the Dale Head (dalehead, etc), and has been remade a couple times as the Scottsdale Anser (Scottsdale AZ, was the second home for Ping, the first larger facility after starting off in Redwood. Now they are in Phoenix). The Scotty counterpart to the Anser is the Newport, and the Scottsdale is what the 009 is based on. The original Anser headshape can also be found on the WRX Ti ansers, as well as the Isoforce Ansers.

The Anser 2 is what Scotty based the Newport 2 on. Shape is a little longer heal-to-toe, and slightly shallower face-to-flange. The bumpers are much flatter as well. Not 100%, but I think this was the Ping that Tiger used WAY back in the day, which would make sense as he now uses a Newport 2. Also, I'm pretty sure it's the Anser 2 that Ernie Els has used in the past (though more reports point to the Anser 3, similar, but shorter hosel (I think) and possibly like a mid-slant--never owned one myself). The Anser 4 has the same head as the Anser 2, but the shaft-over hosel (santa-fe) and is what the Newport 2.5 is based on.

Contemporary: Starting with the G2 series, Ping "refined" the shape of the Anser. Basically made it more basic, with simpler lines. Artistically, VERY much not an improvement--but I'm biased. Ping trimmed a lot of fat and dropped all but the most popular headshapes (with an almost elimination of all different hosel options). From the Pictures, the Redwood Anser looks to have about the same-ish headshape as the JAS Anser, which was about the same as the G2 Anser. Both the JAS and Redwood have the benefit of milling over the classics (quality standpoint, probably translates into feel), and both weigh about 10 grams more than the classics. BeCu and BeNi putters do weigh a touch more than their steel counterparts, but are still light by todays standards.

My take: What you got to lose...get multiples of each. :) I rotate between a couple putters. Right now my Byron custom gets top billing. It's basically a 360 gram version of the Anser 4 (Byron Morgan does some VERY nice putters), followed by my TP Mills Klassic. I have a pair of Bettinardis that occasionally make the bag, but my Bryon has given me more love than the BB18 (which, in my opinion is THE nicest looking putter ever made). But, that said I still enjoy pulling my Pings out when my stroke is really working. I'll definitely be giving the Redwood a go. Still trying to decide between the Zing and the Anser. I know...get both.

:hi:

Your very welcome P (and sienna). I'm glad I can help. I only know some things about a few things, so when questions come up that I can answer, I try.

Honestly though, as putters are so entirely personal it's hard to give good advice on them, only anecdotal comparisons as far as feel. I did reread your first post and realized I only addressed one part of your question. In my opinion (caveat warning), you really can't go wrong with the BeNi Anser 2. I like the classic Pings because I think they have more character, and the BeNi and BeCu models will never be made again. You can still order most of the stainless pings through a Ping dealer, not the case with the beryllium.

I'm guessing that the Redwood series are going to be a success. They are priced in the higher-end range, but still cheaper than the Scottys, and WAY cheaper than their first go with the JAT. Also, initial reviews seem to be very positive. I know Sandy (member here who has provided some great pictures and reviews of the Ping products before their release) had some very positive things to say about the Redwood putters. Once Ping putters are viewed as a premium product again, I expect the collectibility of the BeNi to increase, along with the resale values. If you can find a BeNi in good condition for around $100, I would say jump at it, I can't see you not making your money back if you decide you don't like it. From all accounts, the BeNi is softer than BeCu and weighs a little more. I've focused on the BeCu largely because I love the appearance, slightly higher availability than BeNi, and relative collectibility.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions. I'm certainly not an expert, just a fan.

:hi:

Your very welcome P (and sienna). I'm glad I can help. I only know some things about a few things, so when questions come up that I can answer, I try.

Honestly though, as putters are so entirely personal it's hard to give good advice on them, only anecdotal comparisons as far as feel. I did reread your first post and realized I only addressed one part of your question. In my opinion (caveat warning), you really can't go wrong with the BeNi Anser 2. I like the classic Pings because I think they have more character, and the BeNi and BeCu models will never be made again. You can still order most of the stainless pings through a Ping dealer, not the case with the beryllium.

I'm guessing that the Redwood series are going to be a success. They are priced in the higher-end range, but still cheaper than the Scottys, and WAY cheaper than their first go with the JAT. Also, initial reviews seem to be very positive. I know Sandy (member here who has provided some great pictures and reviews of the Ping products before their release) had some very positive things to say about the Redwood putters. Once Ping putters are viewed as a premium product again, I expect the collectibility of the BeNi to increase, along with the resale values. If you can find a BeNi in good condition for around $100, I would say jump at it, I can't see you not making your money back if you decide you don't like it. From all accounts, the BeNi is softer than BeCu and weighs a little more. I've focused on the BeCu largely because I love the appearance, slightly higher availability than BeNi, and relative collectibility.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions. I'm certainly not an expert, just a fan.

Thanks for your time and efforts beruo. We all appreciate it!

I too rotate among three of the Ping classics. Haven't found anything that feels better. One is the Anser 2 "Patent Pending" stainless steel. I've read where this has a softer feel than a standard Anser 2. It sure feels like it to me... maybe it's all in my head now, but I love the feel of it. Wonder if you have any further info?

Thanks again!!