2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Bushnell Neo+ feedback wanted.. currently on sale..

I was looking for a cheap way to begin getting yardage readings while I play. I'd love a $300 laser but can't justify the expense right now. I was looking at GPS units which get pricey quick. I noticed the Neo+ is only $125 at Amazon and currently has a $50 rebate for a net cost of just $75. The reviews on Amazon look pretty good but was wondering what you guys think. Would like to avoid if it will be more frustration than its worth.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small unit, easily readable in sunlight. Good GPS chip installed. Good information usually provided, and the courses are mapped via satellite. Quite a large library of mapped courses from iGolf. If it comes with any custom points mapped, you can remap them to what you prefer. I've found their custom points were not mapped by real golfers who know how to play the game. You have the ability to map your own course, which only takes less than 10 seconds per custom point.

You just get numbers which works for me. No graphical views. No moving cursors.

Software works better if you have an old PC, or Mac. Support is usually poor, and just slightly below that of SkyCaddie.

If you don't want to use a smartphone GPS app, it's worth it for that price.

Is it gonna lose signal sitting it the cup holder on a cart? Also I don't have a smart phone so getting a GPS app isn't an option.

Also the Bushnell XGC+ has a $100 rebate currently, sells for $220 on Amazon so just $120 in the end. Has a color screen, more features and no annual fee. Would only be $45 assuming they don't give me a hard time about the rebate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just ordered one. Kind of a fathers day gift to myself as my wife hates picking gifts out for me. Over the last week or two I've been thinking as I play whether a GPS or laser would be more useful, I believe its stacked a bit toward the laser but I'd probably want to get a Bushnell V2 for about $285 versus $75 (after rebate) for the Neo+. At my level (95 - 100 for 18) readings to the center of the green should be more than adequate. I'll report back after a few rounds.

My older one is fine. Does take about 10 minutes to find the satellites so activate prior to the 1st tee. The Neo+ has access to all courses without a subscription.

I forgot to download all my courses before my subscription ran out and am in dire need of Santa Barbara, CA courses (hint, hint!). The one course I have is not accurate for the first 9 holes, but they have revised it recently, but no response from them so far as to replacing my faulty file.

And it stays active in my pocket or bag. Somebody must have lead lining in their pockets.
Yes I would recommend it as a basic golf GPS.

Also, unlike the earlier version, it auto advances to each hole without pushing a button.

Ok I used the Neo+ today on a local hole in the wall course and I'm loving it. The unit itself seems to be a nice size, not too small or too big, the build quality seems nice as well. The interface seems very intuitive and easy to read. After getting out of the car the unit acquired the satellites within a minute or two. The yardages seemed to be right on the money compared to the course markers.

It does often lose signal if you put it in your pocket which I did since I was walking. What I like though is that when it does lose signal there are no numbers showing so its obvious that there is no signal so you can't accidentally read wrong numbers. It usually picks up signal in 5 seconds or less when taken back out and locks onto a number quite quickly. One time I was in a patch of several pine trees and it didn't want to pick up signal but as soon as I walked out to the side of the trees it picked right back up again.

I was pleased to find that it had some preset points on this obscure course like end of fairway (on a dogleg), and both sides of water on a large lake hole. I will play with setting up custom points soon like mapping the ideal layup on a dogleg.

I'm going to play with it again Wednesday before sending in the rebate (no chance to return).

I've used mine maybe 7-8 rounds so far and it seems to work OK. It did flake out on me one time, sort of like my old SkyCaddie used to do. Was working fine then I noticed right while I was watching it (not moving) the distances changed by about 20 yards. Sure enough, as I started walking to the next hole it did not auto-advance and then when I advanced by hand it showed no distance. Reported no satellites.

I turned it off while I played a couple holes, turned it back on and after a couple minutes it fired up and has worked fine ever since. With the old SkyCaddie once it flaked out like that it would not work until I re-downloaded firmware and all kind of junk to completely reset it. Hopefully this was just a momentary loss of signal and the Neo+ will not turn itself into a paperweight like the SkyCaddie used to.

My fatherinlaw loves his and so does my buddy. Best I can do for ya.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

[quote name='bal704' timestamp='1339642446' post='5088926']
I just bought one as my first gps unit:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/370618550078"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/370618550078[/url]

I just wanted something cheap and basic, and it looks like it fits the bill.
[/quote]

I bought mine from the same seller. Nice little unit. I had a terrible time getting the software to work. I posted a thread about my issues. If you have any problems with the install read my thread or pm me.I have never had any signal issues with mine. It does take a few minutes to get a signal once you turn it on. I carried mine in the belt clip that came with mine but after having it fall off my belt a few times I carry it in a phone case I have. Over all I like the unit. My first time out with it was terrible. The first hole I used it on there was a 50yd. difference in yardages. On some of the holes it was right on and others it was weird. Standing on the course marker it would read the same but when you took a few steps away from the marker it would change at least 20 yds. I not sure what the problem was with that first course I used it on. Glad I don't play that but once every two yrs. After the first time it has been spot on for the most part. I have used it on 10 different courses and it works well. I had one hole on a short par3 show 105 to the front and 100 to the middle and 100 to the back. Another course I went to, a par3 course, one of the holes played 125 and the unit showed 253. I'm not sure what happened on that one. I had the unit on the right hole. I like the unit now that I got use to it. My friend likes it too. I went right in and downloaded all my courses. Igolf allows you to download 25 a day. I have 75 courses in my area that I play or might play in the future. 100 is plenty for me.