Tipping?

Ignited

Why?
I have just read the should I tip my pro thread and wondered. Why do Americans feel the need to tip everyone? :clapping:

I visited the US two years ago and felt the service I received was very good, but I also felt that this was because people wanted a bigger tip. These people seemed quite offended when they didn't get one.

Now tipping has started to catch on in the UK and it realy gets to me. I mean no one tips me when I finish a job in my office, a job that I get a wage for so why should I tip someone for doing a job they get paid for?

Discuss.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that tipping is riduculous! I have never been tipped in any job that i have ever held. I worked my way thru college mowing lawns, shoveling snow, painting homes etc. And not ONCE did i ever receive a tip. The federal Govt promotes tipping here in the USA by allowing businesses to pay certain employees less than minimum wage. Waitresses, waiters, and bartenders to name few. If the Government would include these people under the minimum wage laws, tipping may go by the wayside. But then again the price of certain items would also increase, but atleast you would now what you are paying upfront.

I tip my hairstylist, the valet, waiters/waitresses, bartenders, skycaps, cab drivers and some others, but I'm sick and tired of seeing tip jars everywhere. I go to Starbucks every morning and order a regular coffee. The person behind the counter simply pours the coffee into the cup and hands it to me. I don't tip for that because he/she didn't provide any "service." I doctor the coffee myself by adding cream & sugar. I get a nasty stare every time I take the coffee and don't leave a tip. Why should I? The server did nothing that warrants a tip.

I, too, am getting very irritated with the tipping phenomenon. I'm in the commercial real estate lending field and have joked for a long time that I am going to bring a tip jar with me to loan closings. Every other industry has them, so why can't I?

I am split down the middle on this one. I have no problem tipping and do generously. If my waitstaff does a good job or I am out with my children I will always give at least 20% tip.

I always tip my cart guys and staff at my clubs, I even tip the starter that sets up my starting times at one of my clubs.

On the other hand , I will tip bad service allthough the % will be much smaller. I don't believe that you should have to tip every person that should provide you with a service, such as Starbucks, Krispy cream etc. I agree that the tip jar at every possible location has become a bit much. I am in a service industry, I don't get a tip every time I send someone to do a job, heck, it is hard enough just to get paid for the work I have done, let alone get anything extra.( Electrical Contracting)

My feeling on the tip thing is, if you go into a line of work that you are getting tipped, this is your choice, and with that choice comes the chance that you may not get a tip, or much of one. My suggestion is you better be good at your job if you want to get all the money, it is the same in any type of work, if you want the money, you better shine.

My sister works at a coffee shop, and trust me there is alot of work that goes into making one of those chick drinks.  Anyway if you tip them they will remember your service and make you a coffee that doesnt have spit in it next time, you have to remember that they will either treat you real good or treat you like sh!t, there is not in between.  I was talking to my sister and some times she will upgrade someone's drink if she remembers them from the last time they came in (med instead of small).

29228[/snapback]

So what you're saying is that I pay $4 or $5 for a frappuccino, latte, or some other drink, and if I don't tip, then the person behind the counter making the drink might spit in it? Are you kidding? What has our society become? I'd kick that tattoo wearing, tongue pierced kid's a** if he/she even thought about spitting in my drink. That's the problem with some people these days. They want something extra for simply doing what they are supposed to do and what they are getting paid to do.

Does your sister tip the person at the Gap, Banana Republic, Hollister, A&F, etc. who helped her pick out an outfit, opened the dressing room door, and completed her transaction at the register? Heck no she doesn't, but the employee doesn't treat your sister any differently. Does she tip the teller at the bank when she deposits her check? Does she tip the person at the McDonald's drive-thru when she picks up her value meal? All of these people work hard to provide excellent customer service...they should...IT IS THEIR JOB!!!!!

FYI...tipping is completely discretionary. And let me know where your sister works so I can avoid that coffee shop.

Its not just at coffee shops im talking about like a nice expensive restraunt, where you are expected to throw down 20%+ tip, then you will not get good service guaranteed

29242[/snapback]

I tip 20% at a restaurant where I have someone waiting on me, filling my drink, removing empty plates, etc. The 20% is for SERVICE, not for handing me a drink.

Oh by the way if you are like this with everyone everywhere, I cant belive how bad of service you get.  Is it also just a waitress's job to bring you your food, so do you tip them or do you stiff them too

29244[/snapback]

Oh, here we go. IMO you are a young punk that probably doesn't have two nickels to rub together on a good day and you're telling me how to tip. Listen, child, I EARN hundreds of thousands of dollars per year and have more pocket cash than you'll see in a month's worth of work. I've tipped waiters more for a night out with my wife than you'll make in an entire day of kissing someone's a** on the golf course and giving them bad yardages.

I get great service everywhere I go because I do tip, probably more than I should or everyone else does for that matter. The point is that EVERYONE seems to have a tip jar these days and I'm not the only one getting tired of seeing it.

Go back to playing video games, counting your coins and wondering whether or not your next loop is going to tip you.

And send me a 20% tip for taking time to write this stuff.

roaringdonkey - you will be out on your Word not allowed (pun intended) if you cannot calm down on the language directed at your fellow members here. This is an open forum designed to promote opinions/discussion, not bash people around because you don't agree.

tpariff - come on, for all that money you make, surely you can not be baited in so easily by another member here. Show some class. You make some valid points, stick to them, leave the personal comments out of it.

It's an interesting thread for some, let's keep it that way.

roaringdonkey - you will be out on your Word not allowed (pun intended) if you cannot calm down on the language directed at your fellow members here.  This is an open forum designed to promote opinions/discussion, not bash people around because you don't agree.

tpariff - come on, for all that money you make, surely you can not be baited in so easily by another member here.  Show some class.  You make some valid points, stick to them, leave the personal comments out of it.

It's an interesting thread for some, let's keep it that way.

29262[/snapback]

Agreed. I should have and will take the high road and exhibit class, but I do get a bit ticked off from time to time. Thanks for the constructive criticism. It won't happen again, promised.

If 200+ a day is the same as a couple of coins then I must be doing something wrong.  But I will just say this the better you tip, the better service that you will get next time you come in.  Like while working in a bag room, you tip the guy that works there, next time that man will walk out to put your clubs into his car.  And just out of curiosity what do you do for a living to make so much money

29274[/snapback]

Hey, let me first apologize for the personal assault. No hard feelings I hope.

To answer your question, I'm in the commercial real estate lending industry and have been for some 10+ years.

With regard to the tipping topic, in the famous words of Ron Burgundy, "agree to disagree." Again, sorry for the personal comments.

Nice touch d-man. I couldn't agree more. If one can not voice their opinion without being rude to fellow members then they have a problem. If everyone would have read my post earlier you can blame tipping in part on the government by there special laws. Unfortunately it has gotten out of hand. And people are getting fed up with it and I think your going to see tipping get cut way back as the economy slows down. Just my opinion

RD, you're out to lunch... How does the individual providing the service know whether or not they will recieve a tip until after the transaction has taken place? The tip -- or gratutity -- is a thank you for providing some level of service. The individual that sort of growls, has a surly attitude, or seems to be doing what ever begrudgingly gets a much smaller tip than someone who actually provides a service. As for the punks and naredowells who think it's cute or funny to spit in or otherwise contaminate what someone else will eat or drink -- it's a federal offense. I will not and will tell all of my friends and family not to frequent that establishment. Down sizing is real.

What I have noticed is that the places with the tip jars is that look at the price of your final sale.... It will always give you a bunch of coins back, why to throw them in the jar b/c coins are just annoying

29278[/snapback]

coins are money too you know. Just put them in a jar and let them collect, sure it seems like a waste, but my whole family put our coins in a jar for 6 or 7 years, took it to the bank and found out it was more than $700 in coins. So theres no way that you should just give away your coins because they're annoying

You need to use basic common sense when tipping. Where you are also has a role. Starbucks, Mcdonalds, and like place = no tipping. You are standing in line waiting for someone to take your order. It's not like they are bringing coffee or Big Mac's down the line to you.

As someone mentioned, their salary is at the minimum wage or better level and tipping is not required. Even if the person who pours your coffee is knock down gorgeous. Only your conscience or something else is making you tip.

Restaurant workers, bar tenders, caddies, = tipping. These people have to actually work for YOU! Their tip is solely based off their service though. Good service, good tip. Not good service, not good tip.

I don't believe people will remember you if you tip them well, especially if it's a place you infrequently visit. Service staff also DO have bad days with just normal everyday life issues. If you watch your service person, you can tell if they are just to busy to service you because they're talking to fellow employees, or they're pre-occupied with something else.

I have no problem tipping 10-15% or less if the service is just plan bad as well as 20-30% for the ones that go above and beyond.

It's common sense. I know, I know..some people do not have it.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

The places I hate is the ones that put the mandatory tip on the bill. If I had sorry service I am sorry but they do not get a tip. If the waiter does an excellent job I love to give a tip to some one that goes out of their way to give you good service, but so many of the tips now days goes to the establishment and not to the person doing the service. Some times I like to give the tip to the person that cleans the tables, he works the hardest for less money and never gets appreciated.

The caddie that is only a bag carrier will seldom get a tip. The one that keeps up with me and makes my day an enjoyable day even if my golf was not gets a well deserved tip.