2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Yururi Wedges

JakeBarnes

I think you probably could. I had mine factory bent for me. Can't see why they couldn't mellow out the edge while hand grinding it.

There IS leading edge relief on the sole, they grind a patch along the bottom they just leave the point sharp where the face meets the leading edge relief grind. Makes them great for touch shots but not so much for a diggers full shots. I don't ever swing a wedge more than about 75% anyways though. I can lay my 57 clear open and its laying flat on the ground. Can hit 10' high flops that land 10' in front of me all day long. Tons of fun.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1359226113' post='6303279']
I think you probably could. I had mine factory bent for me. Can't see why they couldn't mellow out the edge while hand grinding it.

There IS leading edge relief on the sole, they grind a patch along the bottom they just leave the point sharp where the face meets the leading edge relief grind. Makes them great for touch shots but not so much for a diggers full shots. I don't ever swing a wedge more than about 75% anyways though. I can lay my 57 clear open and its laying flat on the ground. Can hit 10' high flops that land 10' in front of me all day long. Tons of fun.
[/quote]

Thanks. I am getting a 61 degree to try. I do have a tendency to take full swings with all my wedges, even the 60 degree, from the fairway. My scratch DS 60 degree had a tendency to dig and end up fat, but my Miura wedge never does this at all. I am just learning to appreciate the different design features when it comes to wedges and the grinds, that I never thought about before. Having the Miura wedge perform so much better for me than the Scratch, on my home course, really opened my eyes.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1359226113' post='6303279']

[/quote]

I agree that it's a tough club for full shots. I personally feel like the grind on the tour is a bit more versatile, but both of the clubs open up beautifully. The most confidence I have had in my flop shot and bunker play in a long, long time.

[quote name='teeitlow' timestamp='1359148849' post='6298271']
How's those tours holding up Jake?
Thinking about picking a couple up for this season.
-D
[/quote]

Holding up beautifully. The finish ages gorgeously and the beautiful slight rust I got looks gorgeous. The black finish yields to sort of a twilight finish where the sole gets the most contact with the turf. I can't thank you enough for enabling and encouraging me take the dive into the Yururi world. Lemme know if you wanna try my Tour out sometime.

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

Up in the air right now on those tours Jake.
I've been sorta playing with the idea of getting some new gekku's and putting my own grind on them, just to kill the leading edge.
Will probably pick up a tour though...just because I'm undecided...as usual.

Wish I had the swing for the flatbacks, because they are amazing looking, but Santa didn't bring me a swing this year...just chains and bars.
-D

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about getting these wedges instead of waiting for the new Nike VR forged that aren't due out till April. Do the Gekku wedges also shred up golf ball covers like the Tour? I don't really play in my local men's club tournaments so having non-conforming grooves doesn't really bother me (although they don't even check for that stuff anyways). In the review between the Gekku and Tour by JakeBarnes, I saw that even the conforming Tour was shredding up the golf ball. I would say that's the only thing I gripe about as far as wedges, I hate seeing fish gills after one swing on a new golf ball.

[quote name='j2_a2' timestamp='1361640560' post='6486787']
Thinking about getting these wedges instead of waiting for the new Nike VR forged that aren't due out till April. Do the Gekku wedges also shred up golf ball covers like the Tour? I don't really play in my local men's club tournaments so having non-conforming grooves doesn't really bother me (although they don't even check for that stuff anyways). In the review between the Gekku and Tour by JakeBarnes, I saw that even the conforming Tour was shredding up the golf ball. I would say that's the only thing I gripe about as far as wedges, I hate seeing fish gills after one swing on a new golf ball.
[/quote]

i honestly think shredding balls is much more a function of the new softer covers rather than grooves or wedges. however, i never play full shots with wedges so the only issue i have with shredding balls are from scoring irons. either way, amatuers won't have any trouble playing these grooves until at least 2024.

Since I do keep an index and play in things that require conforming, I decided to sell a pair of the raw Gekku's that I bought from TSG around Xmas. They're on eBay now if anyone's interested. I just hit them a couple of times on a practice green for fun.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1361659690' post='6488243']
Since I do keep an index and play in things that require conforming, I decided to sell a pair of the raw Gekku's that I bought from TSG around Xmas. They're on eBay now if anyone's interested. I just hit them a couple of times on a practice green for fun.
[/quote]
as i mentioned earlier, unless you're keeping an index for the u.s. open usga rules don't require conforming grooves until 2024.

(btw, i'm not trying to say that you're not good enough for a u.s. open qualifier, i just want to make sure the average joe doesn't think these are illegal to game)

I have had the Gekku raw 41, 45, 53, 57, and 61* for over two years and nothing can knock them out of the starting lineup - have tried the miura's, chikara, vokeys, tm tours and scratch - all nice wedges, but the yururi's make my partners worry. ( you worry) I do give them a treatment of naval jelly about every two weeks and sharpen the grooves weekly - and yes they are tough on balls.

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1361665969' post='6488799']
[/quote]
as i mentioned earlier, unless you're keeping an index for the u.s. open usga rules don't require conforming grooves until 2024.

(btw, i'm not trying to say that you're not good enough for a u.s. open qualifier, i just want to make sure the average joe doesn't think these are illegal to game)
[/quote]

So I can use the Gekku Raw wedges in my bag for my Club Championship? I thought the conforming rule was in effect for amateurs as well.

LEFT HANDED

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1362254069' post='6534481']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So I can use the Gekku Raw wedges in my bag for my Club Championship? I thought the conforming rule was in effect for amateurs as well.
[/quote]

yes you can! here's the basic breakdown...

if you are a professional golfer on one of the top tours, or if you plan to try to qualify for one of the three open championships, you needed conforming wedges by jan. 1, 2010.

if you plan to qualify for any other usga championship, you’ll need conforming wedges by 2014.

if you don’t play those specific events, you are good to go until at least 2024.

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1362291347' post='6537291']
[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1362254069' post='6534481']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

yes you can! here's the basic breakdown...

if you are a professional golfer on one of the top tours, or if you plan to try to qualify for one of the three open championships, you needed conforming wedges by jan. 1, 2010.

if you plan to qualify for any other usga championship, you’ll need conforming wedges by 2014.

if you don’t play those specific events, you are good to go until at least 2024.
[/quote]

Ok, thanks, that is helpful. The Raw Gekku is the only left handed wedge they have, so I didn't want to get used to it, and then have to pull it out of the bag for our club championship in August. I have one coming in 60 degrees with a Recoil F4 125 shaft.

LEFT HANDED