2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golfsense vs swingbyte

So i played with the golf sense yesterday and it was really neat. I didn't really get into the app much as I did not have a ton of time to fiddle with it. It did show my swing path, speed, and a little more. You could replay swings and look at numbers.

I am thinking about getting one of these type devices but I am not sure which is the better one to get. My thoughts are that I could sit in my yard and work on my swing using foam balls. Then you no longer are looking at ball flight and everything, but just your swing. Plus for me to find time to go to the range a lot is difficult.

So has anyone had a lot of experience with these and which is a better device and which would be more beneficial.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bag302' timestamp='1339906345' post='5111558']
I am waiting for my Swingbyte to arrive. I bought it to replace a swing speed radar. Anything it does beyond swing speed will be a bonus to me.
[/quote]

Swingbyte came last night. I didn't have a lot if time to use it but hit some birdie balls in my back yard with a sand wedge. I have to say from my limited use that this thing is worth every penny.

In addition to swing speed at any point of the swing, I found the angle of attack and shaft lean info to be valuable. The visual representation of the swing arc is very well done and I learned through a face on view that I am not getting onto my left side on the downswing.

I was able to record swings on my iPhone and iPad and view any of the swings through either device.

Very well done for $150. My sensor did not move during any of my swings, but if it does I will use a tiny square of that grey 3m double sided tape. With the tape and the strap together theres no way it will move. That particular tape comes off really easy when you want also.

Got mine in a few days ago and have just had a chance to use it with putters indoors. Easy to set up with Droid Bionic and very informative on my set up at address and impact numbers. Really showed how flat my lie was at address and how I had the shaft angle behind the ball.

It's a little pokey between putts, about 30 seconds to set up for the next putt, but the wait is worth it. I'll hit the range with it this weekend and post back..

Ping G430 Max Ventus TR Red Velocore 6R
Titleist TSR 2 3wood Tensei S

Callaway Apex UW 21 Hazardous Smoke 5.5
Mizuno MP 243 5-GW C-Taper Lite R
Cleveland CBX4s 51

Cleveland CBX4s 55
Toulon Daytona StrokeLab 35"

• 4 weeks later...

I used the golf sense the other day and it is pretty good. It only showed my swing arc and speed, but it did it well.

The swing arc portion of this is the main thing. Once you get it set up, you can swing and swing and it registers your swings. I am not sure if it saves every swing (i do not believe it does) but i would click the button on the device and it would say "swing saved". It would also flash quickly if your tempo was fast/slow/perfect. That was nice, but if I took a swing, i would have to look at it very quickly to see this. there was a slide bar at the bottom of the screen that would let me "slow motion" through my swing. The back path and the forward path were different colors (yellow: back green: down).

The swing speed just showed in the upper right hand corner. '

I found the device useful and thought it could be very useful to self analyze. Nice to be able to hit in the yard with it. I will be borrowing a swing byte in the next day or so and will provide comments on it then.

• 2 months later...

Any updates, want to pull the trigger on one of these. Thanks

Ping G410 LST - Tensi CK Series 60 X-Stiff
Ping G400 3W - PING Tour 65 X Stiff 62G
Srixon ZX 2i - UST Recoil 95 X Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW Project X Catalyst 100CW 6.5 100g
Mizuno MP-T7 - 50,54 - Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Taylormade Hi-Toe 58, KBS HI-REV Flex
Odyssey Ten 2-Ball Tour Line
1.2 HC

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased both the Golfsense and Swingbyte with the intention of keeping the superior product. Each has its pros and cons, but ultimately I kept the swingbyte.

**Disclaimer - Each of the devices is universal between iOS and Android, it is the app that is different for the respective device. My opinion of each is based on the Android versions of the app.

[b]Mounting & Setup:[/b]

[b]Golfsense[/b]: Very simple to install on the strap of your glove and nothing has to be done when switching clubs. This is a big plus for ease of use. The app allows you to tailor the position of the device based on your left hand grip and also how far you choke down on the club. You are able to enter your golf club set and indicate the club length, loft, and shaft type and stiffness. Grade: A

[b]Swingbyte[/b]: The big difference between the two is that the swingbyte installs on the club no on the hand. Once installed it must be lined up with the clubface. Lining it up is a bit cumbersome and the accuracy of the device is dependent on your ability to line up the device at the 3 o'clock position, for a RH golfer, exactly each time. Included in the box are two plastic trenches that have adhesive on one side and are the exact length of the swingbyte device; these affix to your club of choice and allow for the device to quickly be mounted in the same location every time - say for on your driver or putter or whatever you choose. You are able to enter your golf club set and indicate club length, loft, shaft type and stiffness, and lie angle. Grade: C

[b]Application Features:[/b]

[b]Golfsense[/b] [b]version 1.0.4[/b]: As mentioned above, the main screen shows swing path and has a number of buttons that allow you to manipulate the view of your swing as well as limit the view to backswing/downswing or to show a plane rather than a point traced in space. You can easily rotate in 3d by dragging your finger on the screen to manipulate your view of your swing. The Analysis tab at the top provides various information on your current swing with each of the following on its own screen: *clubhead speed, hand speed, tempo, backswing position, plane comparison, wrist release, and *distance (*estimated). In each of the screens, you are given some feedback on your swing whether your tempo needs to speed up or wrist release is good.

This is basically the extent of the app in its current state. I was a bit disappointed here as there was nothing regarding clubface angles, static/dynamic lofts, swingpath, club lean, etc. In this sense the device was a let down. However, it performs very well at what is does do. One big plus for me was that the Golfsense will record swings without the need for impact - not so with the swingbyte - which means that you can use this inside of your house without hitting ball into a net. All you need is a free area to swing. Lastly, the golfsense app comes with a group of example swings labeled as PGA Coach. This gives you the ability, via the app, to select two swings and compare your own swings with a model of a "proper" swing from that of the PGA Coach. Grade: B-

[b]Swingbyte[/b] [b]version 1.9.1[/b]: Similar to the golfsense, the swingbyte main screen shows your swing path but also shows the plane created at address as well as the clubface path. Changing views involves a few button presses, not just dragging the screen as with the golfsense - a little more cumbersome but it works. My personal favorite is the ability to see your swing from top down which you cannot do with the golfsense. The swing data screen allows you to view club head speed, swing tempo, face to address angle, face to path angle, club path angle, lie angle, dynamic club loft, angle of attack, and shaft lean - and you can view all of these metrics at impact and as well at address to really see what is going on with your swing. Right here, for me, the swingbyte has offered more than golfsense can hope to offer - at least in the current version of software. Although, as an engineer I believe that it will be near impossible for the golfsense device to accurately model this sort of information with the device on the players hand and without something on the club itself. Another win for the swingbyte is that the device can be used with the putter. There is no such feature with the golfsense that I am aware of. The swingbyte app does not have a set of "PGA Coach" swings to compare your swing to, but it does have a section of swing tips that provide feedback on your current swing and is very helpful; especially for those that are not as adept at diagnosing their own swing flaws. One downside to this app is that you must impact a ball or bag in order for the app to record the swing - I hope that a future update includes an option to allow a swing to record without impact. Grade A+

Neither device is perfect, the golfsense has limited amounts of data due to the physical limitation of the device being on the golfers hand and not the club and the swingbyte has loads of information and numbers but is only as accurate as how the user lines up the device to the clubface. Also, the swingbyte cannot move in between swings or the numbers will all be slightly off - movement of the device has not been a problem thus far for me. The accuracy of both devices is up for debate and I will refrain from conjecture in this arena as I do not have a launch monitor to compare to. The bottom line for me is that the swingbyte software offers far more information than the golfsense for the end user to be able to save, view, and diagnose their swing - which is exactly what I was looking for in a device such as this.

Nice review lvmikus. I have the swingbyte also, but would like to see a side-by-side comparison between it and the 3baysgsa device.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='MSchad' timestamp='1357221086' post='6159209']
Nice review lvmikus. I have the swingbyte also, but would like to see a side-by-side comparison between it and the 3baysgsa device.
[/quote]

My wife got me a 3bays gsa pro for Christmas. I've been to the range a couple time to try it, and it works pretty well. Records end of club position to be able to show swing planes and path, club head speed, identifies relative motion of downswing vs. back swing (inside/outside) and face position (again relative to starting face position). The range pro saw me playing with it, and he was interested in checking accuracy, so we campared to his extensive setup with video etc., and found it to be reasonably accurate.

It's a fun toy, and if you are working on swing changes, it can be helpful. It basically just showed me what I already knew, but gave me quick feedback as to if changes I was making had an effect on the end result. It also lets you compare to an "ideal" swing.

[quote name='dslatt33' timestamp='1357236202' post='6161009']
And what about SwingTIP? From the reviews I've read they seem to have the best method for the attaching the
measuring device to your club. Would be intersted in hearing from any one who has tried this swing analyzer.
[/quote]

I had not heard of the Swingtip device before.

http://www.swingtip.com/ is a link to the product specs/etc.

http://www.mobiplex.com/ is a link to the manufacturers website.

dave

FlightScope & Swingbyte Agreement - don't know what this means for the consumer immediately maybe just a better
product. But I read this on another forum so I thought I might post it here.

FlightScope, Swingbyte Strategic Partnership Creates Golf's First Fully Integrated Ball Flight, Impact And 3D Swing Analysis System

CHICAGO, Ill. (Jan. 14, 2013) - Swingbyte announced a strategic partnership with FlightScope to create golf's first fully integrated ball flight, impact and 3D swing analysis system.

Introduced in 2012, Swingbyte uses a lightweight sensor, an advanced mathematical algorithm and Bluetooth connectivity to digitize a golfer's swing and communicate in real time key swing measurements including club head speed, swing path and impact angles.

FlightScope, which was introduced in 2004, is a portable indoor-outdoor launch monitor that records ball flight and ball speed using 3D Doppler tracking radar.

The integration of the two technologies allows golfers and instructors to choose from a comprehensive set of swing metrics and data points to view a visual representation of a golf swing and the resulting ball flight.

"With the blended technological expertise of FlightScope and Swingbyte, instructors and students will have access to the most accurate information available about the entirety of a golfer's swing and the golf ball's flight," said Alex Pedenko, CEO of Swingbyte.

"We have followed the market's overwhelming response to Swingbyte in its first year. The accuracy of the data it reports and its adoption by golfers and top instructors convinced us that an alliance would create additional value for both companies and our customers," said Henri Johnson, CEO of Orlando-based FlightScope.

"The complementary technologies on which Swingbyte and FlightScope are based make this a natural partnership," Pedenko added. "Golfers and instructors can now take advantage of two powerful tools working together to collect information that leads to better swings and faster improvement."

Brad Brewer, a Golf magazine Top 100 Teacher, uses FlightScope and Swingbyte with his students at the Brad Brewer Golf Academy at the Shingle Creek Golf Club in Orlando. "Before someone can make a change in their swing, they need to be able to picture that change in their mind," Brewer said. "The combination of Swingbyte and FlightScope makes that visualization much easier."

Swingbyte weighs less than an ounce and attaches to any club just below the grip. As the club makes contact with the ball, the wireless sensor transmits a 3D digital version of the swing to the Swingbyte app, which is available on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets. The swing image - along with measurements of club head speed, swing plane, face angle, loft and lie angles and tempo - can be viewed during practice sessions and archived in the cloud for future reference.

Swingbyte can be ordered through the company's website, Swingbyte.com, and purchased at more than 1,800 AT&T retail stores. Swingbyte's price of $149 includes the Swingbyte unit, the free Swingbyte app and an online account that includes additional analytics, community rankings and personal trends.

The other question I have is how does it accurately calculate the swing speed. Doesn't the length of the club make some difference? I know that a club head at the end of a longer shaft will travel faster for the same speed of the hands than a noticeably shorter club (that's sheer physics). So how can it calculate the swing speed for the length of the shaft or do you input the length of shaft into the settings for each club?

have no idea how it knows/measures you've impacted the ball other than vibration in the shaft.

I had one and have returned it. I had difficulty lining it up, it can be done but it's a hassle and I didn't think it was worth the trouble with the chance my results were going to be off if I had the thing on there wrong. I also wanted to be able to use it indoors for practice and it will not measure a swing without impacting a ball. I knew that going in, but I just couldn't get things setup even with foam balls that satisfied me, so it went back.

I have a Swingsmart coming.

So now i am wondering when the Flight monitor will get integrated into the Swingbyte.... that would seal the deal for me.

Titleist TSR4 10* GD DI 6s 

Titleist TSR3 16.5* GD DI

Titleist TSI3 20* Tensei White

Mizuno Pro 221 PX LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM8 46*
Titleist Vokey SM9 50/54/58 S400 TI S400

Scotty Cameron Monoblock 6

Bridgestone BXS/Titleist Prov1X -

[quote name='clevername' timestamp='1358276421' post='6233437']
have no idea how it knows/measures you've impacted the ball other than vibration in the shaft.

I had one and have returned it. I had difficulty lining it up, it can be done but it's a hassle and I didn't think it was worth the trouble with the chance my results were going to be off if I had the thing on there wrong. I also wanted to be able to use it indoors for practice and it will not measure a swing without impacting a ball. I knew that going in, but I just couldn't get things setup even with foam balls that satisfied me, so it went back.

[/quote]

Which one did you have and then returned clevername?

The 3 Bays GSA Pro has a well done review on Youtube by Martin Chuck in which he compares the data from
the GSA PRO to his flightscope machine. They were within a couple of MPH on swing speed but, he did not use different
clubs throughout his review.

I'm up north and under snow right now so I'm in no rush to purchase one of these swing analyzers. I do plan
on buying one so I'm interested in hearing from different members on what they liked and disliked about the
swing analyzer they purchased. Right now I'm leaning towards either the SwingTIP device ( because of the way
it mounts and stays on the club) or 3Bays GSA Pro because of Martin Chuck's review.

YEah... i think i want the GSA now after reading reviews and all the help GSA is giving owners....its a little pricey at $200, but i think it might be worth it.

Titleist TSR4 10* GD DI 6s 

Titleist TSR3 16.5* GD DI

Titleist TSI3 20* Tensei White

Mizuno Pro 221 PX LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM8 46*
Titleist Vokey SM9 50/54/58 S400 TI S400

Scotty Cameron Monoblock 6

Bridgestone BXS/Titleist Prov1X -

[quote name='dslatt33' timestamp='1358359876' post='6240243']
[quote name='clevername' timestamp='1358276421' post='6233437']

[/quote]

Which one did you have and then returned clevername?

The 3 Bays GSA Pro has a well done review on Youtube by Martin Chuck in which he compares the data from
the GSA PRO to his flightscope machine. They were within a couple of MPH on swing speed but, he did not use different
clubs throughout his review.

I'm up north and under snow right now so I'm in no rush to purchase one of these swing analyzers. I do plan
on buying one so I'm interested in hearing from different members on what they liked and disliked about the
swing analyzer they purchased. Right now I'm leaning towards either the SwingTIP device ( because of the way
it mounts and stays on the club) or 3Bays GSA Pro because of Martin Chuck's review.
[/quote]

I am a fan of the GSA Pro. One thing to keep in mind with the video review. I believe the device can only measure face and swing path based on starting point and backswing. So when it says club face is open, it is relative to how you set up. Trackman might read this as closed to the path, but not relative to the start point. If you line up with an open club face, an open face at contact with read square. Same as backswing. If you start way outside and swing less outside, it will probably read an inside path.

I haven't seen the dynamic underlying calculations, but the engineer/dynamics major in me is pretty impressed.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Maruuk' timestamp='1364173218' post='6683897']
3Bays sounds pretty good, but we need more info on the inexpensive Swingtip! I have read it can be somewhat glitchy and inaccurate, but they all are to some extent. Swingsmart at $250 sounds good tho pricey, but is likely to get aced out by the impressive upcoming Skypro, but not for me since they won't support iPad 1.
[/quote]

There is another ongoing thread in the Instruction section by in case you don't browse that section here is tr same thing I posted there:

So I got the 3Bays and after one session I'm returning it.

I'm not going to bash it as its a cool piece of equipment but it just wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

I found the GSA to be accurate on its numbers, albeit some of them calculated. As well, it did work without hitting a ball. But where it lacked and what I was looking for was a lack of a true training mode. As well, I did find the app a little difficult to navigate. Finally, I didn't care for the swing representation with only one color for both backswing, downswing, and follow through.

I'm really looking forward now to the release of the SkyPro. The Grove feature is what I am looking for in a training mode. Tactile feedback is exactly what I need to grove my swings and repeat. (See what I did there, lol) If the initial reviews of the SkyPro aren't good (seems like people are going to have the SkyPro in hand before the Masters) I'm going with the SwingSmart.

Take this mini review for what it's worth. The GSA is a good product and accurate but as said above I'm looking for a training aid with tactile feedback.

Finally, what do you mean the iPad won't support the app? Unless something has changed, any iPhone/iPod app can be downloaded to the iPad and you can double the size. Is there something on the Bluetooth side the iPad 1 can't support?