2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

KBS Tour 90 *review*

lvmike

First, many thanks go out to GolfWRX for cultivating relationships with business partners like KBS. These relationships are pure win/win for us, the golfing community. We glean information first hand and in depth, and we have the opportunity to partake in contests such as the one I was fortunate enough to be one of the lucky few.

Let me note that Conrad and KBS are a class act. Instead of the standard fare email, Conrad contacted me via phone to not just find out my specs, but talk to me about my game, what irons I played, and what I was looking for in regard to performance. This was followed by an email confirming our discussion and the shafts arrived at my door only days later. We’ve emailed back and forth as he’s confirmed receipt of the shafts and how the evaluation is going. Just really neat to have that kind of interaction.

After negotiating with my local guy who’s been reshafting/bending my clubs for years and getting them back in my hands by the next morning, I felt like I had an equally customized set with new KBS Tour 90s in my hands (big props to Ping on the initial order that spec’d out perfectly in regard to swingweight, L/L/L based on my nFlight fitting). My local guy made sure my i20s matched specs and sent me on my way.

My previous setup:

Ping i20 4-GW, -.50” length, black dot, std loft, CFS regular shaft, Ping ID8 aqua grip, SW C-9.

My new setup:

Ping i20 4-GW, -.50” length, black dot, std loft, KBS Tour 90 stiff shaft, Ping ID8 aqua grip, SW D-2.

Me:

11 hcp (index is floating between a 10.2 and 11.4) – lowest round ever:73...so I’ve seen better days

short and old (yes, it’s relative)

97mph driver avg ss

84mph iron avg ss

Review process: I played golf. Okay, seriously, I’ve been playing a little more often recently so I think that the numbers I provide are pretty telling. I thought it would be best to review on a few different aspects (feel, distance, trajectory) as well as compare greens in reg (accuracy).

FEEL

This area was a little tough to compare since my CFS shafts are regular and the KBS Tour 90 (KBS) are stiff. The KBS have a distinctly different feel but I think that’s much more the shaft and not the flex difference. I’ve played KBS Tours (non 90s) for years prior to my i20s and I’d say the Tour 90s are much closer in feel to those than any other of the lighter weight steel shafts I’ve tried in the past(NS Pro 950, 1050, DG SL, and even including the CFS). They have a solid feeling load that seems to come from a higher point in the shaft contributing to a much more confident sense that they’ll go along the intended line. They don’t have that lower kickpoint feel, which tends to spray the ball for me.

DISTANCE

Since I knew I was going to write a review, I went to a driving range and watched carry and was a little more conscious of iron distances in my rounds prior to switching shafts. Most notably, I kept track of my gap wedge, 7 iron and 5 iron distances.

Across the board, I’m about 5 yards longer. Nothing significant, but I have noted where I’ve been 100, 150 and 180 out, that I would come up a little short with my i20s with the CFS. I’m there or just past now consistently in the 4 rounds I’ve had my KBS.

My gap wedge was consistently 95 yards +/- 3 yds (ball, wind, swing considerations), 7 iron averaged 148, and 5 iron was a little more sporadic but averaged right around 175. My new distances are a comfortable(not overswinging or trying to squeeze extra) 100 yds with gap, 153 +/-, and easy 180 with a noted shot of 185+ on a long par 4 in 105*(remember, I live in Vegas).

TRAJECTORY

These are no DGs. These are no KBS Tours either. Not when it comes to trajectory. I’m sure these wouldn’t fit those guys that love their X100s or S400s because of the low to mid trajectory. These definitely throw the ball in the air, but more like a calculated mortar not like a water balloon waiting to fall from the sky.

ACCURACY

This category is for the statisticians. I regularly play with a guy who is a numbers guy through and through. In fact, he’s got a doctorate in it and it’s his career. That said, I know that if he reads this, he’ll quickly dismiss all of this and say, ‘prove it’. The only way I could think is to show you through greens hit in regulation (GIR). This kind of covers all we discussed above...you have to factor distance expectations, consider trajectory based on weather conditions, and the feel has to be to your liking and consistent to put up decent numbers.

I compared my last 8 rounds below. They have scores and my GIR. The most recent 4 rounds are with the KBS.

KBS

Score GIR(%)

79 61.1

84 38.9

89 38.9

84 38.9

CFS

85 22.2

90 22.2

80 38.9

86 44.4

I averaged 44.45% GIR with the KBS to 31.92% with the CFS. Also, I tracked all of my rounds with the CFS (16 rounds total) and have a ‘lifetime’ 31.24% GIR with the CFS shafts.

While I realize that there are statistical rules and I should throw out the highest and lowest, I think there’s enough there to give everyone an idea of how things went.

OVERALL

First, I want to say that Ping does have it right as well as all the other manufacturers who profess that the true test to fitting is on course. I don’t think they got anything wrong with my nFlight fitting. I’m an 11 hcp and realize that my swing is going to be different every day, and more than likely, every swing. The CFS probably were the spot on shaft for that day I got fit.

However, I’ve found what I’ve been looking for in the KBS Tour 90 shafts, a great combination of distance, feel and accuracy..and all with the Ping i20 heads that I love. And the numbers say so too. :golfer:

• Like 1

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

Mike ,,thank you for a GREAT review. Not only did you take the time and effort to accurately doc the numbers, you went above and beyond in the format of your presentation.
I have been considering an iron change in a new[2nd] set of Diablo forged and was leaning toward a re-shaft with regular Rifle 5.5, softstepped once. I had tried the KBS Tour stiff[ not 90s] in another set of irons but just couldn't get the performance I wanted,,higher flight, and a little more distance,,but after your review I feel trying the KBS 90s stiff will be my best shot.
Thanks again for your un-solicited help.

Thanks Lionstar! I figured it's the least I can do to give back.

It sounds like your swing is pretty similar and I've had similar results. The KBS Tours were great for me on days when I was 'on'. Granted, I never tried them in R or R+, but it doesn't matter to me now. The 90s are definitely what I was looking for.

I used to be a big Rifle fan and found myself thinking PX 5.5 when I got fitted for the i20s. I can tell you through a 'blind' test (fitter just handed me irons and told me not to look at shafts-he told me later that he handed them to me in a variety of orders so I would focus on what felt the best) at the nFlight Ping fitting, that I didn't care for them. Really surprised me. He narrowed it down to CFS and KBS Tour. It would've been interesting to know if we could've had the 90s in the mix. Unfortunately, I don't even know if he had them.

Good luck. I think you'll be pleased. Plus the Diablo forged is a solid iron. I think they should've stuck with that instead of going back to cast with the Razr Tour line.

9* TM M5 w/GD AD BB-6
15* TM M6 w/Atmos
19* TM SIM Max w/Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex '19 w/KBS Tour
Callaway MD5 54*
Callaway PM Grind '19 58*
Odyssey StrokeLab Ten S (Tour only NO sightline) 33"

[quote name='Lionstar' timestamp='1341964118' post='5252380']
Mike ,,thank you for a GREAT review. Not only did you take the time and effort to accurately doc the numbers, you went above and beyond in the format of your presentation.
I have been considering an iron change in a new[2nd] set of Diablo forged and was leaning toward a re-shaft with regular Rifle 5.5, softstepped once. I had tried the KBS Tour stiff[ not 90s] in another set of irons but just couldn't get the performance I wanted,,higher flight, and a little more distance,,but after your review I feel trying the KBS 90s stiff will be my best shot.
Thanks again for your un-solicited help.
[/quote]

I have KBS Tour Stiff in Diablo Forged, actually 2 complete sets, I had made +1", which added the swingweight I was seeking. Best combo I've played in a long time. Good luck with them, they're just awesome irons. I tried, and gave to my son, DGSL, and learned I just like heavier shafts, suits my tempo better. I played DG S300 for years, tried PX (too boardy, nothing magical) and glad found the KBS.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Congratulations on a great review. From my own experience and testing I think the KBS tour 90 suits a specific golf swing best, namely a smooth tempo, a transition which is not overly aggressive and early to mid release. Do you think this is a fair description of your swing?

Do you have any direct experience with the Nippon NS pro 950 and True Temper GS95 the direct competition to the KBS tour 90?

I'm thinking of putting some tour 90s in my A4s. I have a tendency to hit the ball low because I get ahead of the ball and steep, while I'm trying to fix that via lessons, it sounds like the tour 90s may give me a higher ball flight. I know the general recommendation would be to get fitted but I'm likely going to buy some pulls off ebay, and try to do my first DIY reshaft. I like to tinker. That being said, I would hit 8 iron on a 155 yard shot. I was thinking I needed a stiff but reading the distances above, do I need an S+?
also, what is the result of having a shaft that is too weak?
finally, im not familiar with the term soft-stepping. is it something I can/should consider doing on my own.
thanks in advance. really enjoy reading these boards.

• 1 year later...

Interesting comments. I know this thread is from last year but I hope some of you still check it out. I have KBS Tour 90's in MP52's. In my early 50's, I have a 4.1 handicap (UK Congu), I hit 7 iron 160. I went to The KBS to get a higher flight. The problem is that my macho side keeps saying I should have a heavier more manly shaft! Stupid, yes, but that is how I feel. Please give me your thoughts.

[quote name='Golf Monkey' timestamp='1381321024' post='7974761']
Interesting comments. I know this thread is from last year but I hope some of you still check it out. I have KBS Tour 90's in MP52's. In my early 50's, I have a 4.1 handicap (UK Congu), I hit 7 iron 160. I went to The KBS to get a higher flight. The problem is that my macho side keeps saying I should have a heavier more manly shaft! Stupid, yes, but that is how I feel. Please give me your thoughts.
[/quote]

It is impossible to say based simply on the distance you hit the ball (and implied swing speed). You are likely to benefit from a heavier shaft if your tempo is mid or quick (rather than smooth or slow), your transition is aggressive and or your release is very late. If you feel you are controlling your swing to suit the KBS tour 90 then there is the possibility that you need something different (a little heavier and a stronger bend profile).

Plenty of fitting carts with a wide range of light, mid-weight and full weight shafts available these days, so very easy to test alternative shafts and scratch that itch you currently have.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1381322093' post='7974815']
[quote name='Golf Monkey' timestamp='1381321024' post='7974761']
[/quote]

It is impossible to say based simply on the distance you hit the ball (and implied swing speed). You are likely to benefit from a heavier shaft if your tempo is mid or quick (rather than smooth or slow), your transition is aggressive and or your release is very late. If you feel you are controlling your swing to suit the KBS tour 90 then there is the possibility that you need something different (a little heavier and a stronger bend profile).

Plenty of fitting carts with a wide range of light, mid-weight and full weight shafts available these days, so very easy to test alternative shafts and scratch that itch you currently have.
[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts. Your last sentence probably sums it up. A bit of itch scratching may help and hopefully stop me spending money needlessly. I don't adjust to the shaft and my swing is smooth. Driver ss 102mph. My only concern is the clubs feel a little light at address. However, driver and fairway shafts seem to be getting lighter even for the pros. So why aren't more golfers using lighter iron shaft?

For what it's worth, my driver ss is the same as yours and I hit my 7 iron 160yds or perhaps a tad longer... and I feel the KBS Tour 90s have transformed my game.

I can play within myself and benefit from the associated consistency gains with no loss of distance against my previous S300s. There's simply no need to swing out of my shoes with my irons; whilst pushing my 7 iron to 170yds is possible and might give me a few extra bloke points, if 50% of those shots miss the green those bloke points are fairly worthless.

Ignore the weight as I'm sure very few, if any, people know what your shafts weigh and I'm sure even fewer care. On the assumption you're playing the stiff flex version of the tour 90, your playing partners if they manage to see that small 's' on the shaft band won't give it a second thought.

And you're maintaining a 4.1 index, so don't mess with what's working. :-)

Ping G430 Max (8*) --- Ventus Blue
Ping G430 Max (15*)  --- Hzrdus Red

Ping G430 Hybrid (21*) --- Hzrdus Red
PXG 0311 XP Gen4 (6i-G) --- Project X IO
PXG 0311 SD2 (50*|54*|60*) --- Project X IO
SIK “Sho” C-Series Milled (34”)

• 7 months later...

MAB
Your line." I can play within myself and benefit from the associated consistency gains with no loss of distance.. There's simply no need to swing out of my shoes with my irons."
Was most helpful in my decision to reshaft my Bridgestone J38 DPC irons. I had X100s, which cut dispersion, but when tired or just not on, the smooth kick is not there. Smoothing it out is much easier with KBS. Thanks.