2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2 minutes of swings, help!

prorobo

Spent some time on the range today and shot a little video.

Hit my 52 degree wedge, 6 iron, 4 iron, 3 wood, and driver in this vid. The majority of these shots went straight. Any misses were slight draws or fades (I miss both ways which is a problem!).

I have a bunch of problems that I know of with my swing including:

Overswinging on backswing (biggest issue)

Poor weight transfer

Head rotating

I've taken some lessons, watched all the tips on TV and the internet, and read all the magazine articles. I'm hoping some of the fine folks here at Golf WRX could possibly help me improve my swing so it's consistent, reliable, and efficient!

Thanks!

[media=]

[/media]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look like a pretty solid swing. maybe you do overswing and get it more across. im kinda confused though as In the above video it appeared to me you play a baby pull fade. i watched all the swings and it seemed most started left of your alingment aid and stance. except 6 and 7 took off pretty straight and the 8th took off really straight. then i watched the wood bridge cc video and saw more draws. now im thinking you have closed stance for a draw.
what ball shape do you want? i talked to a local pro who told me try and hit fades and hit draws. you will always have misses and straight shots either miss left or right 95% of the time. alteast fade or a draw usually starts out where you want it to. Im thinking knowing a go to shot shape gives you something to dial in. if you can own one or the other on purpose, you have something to dial into for consistantcy, you can always go to the other when in need.

I'm envious of your tempo. I can't for the life of me get my brain to engrain that in my swing. You are very consistent, great job.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

Your shaft coming down bisects your shoulder and finishes on the same plane or a smidge lower. This would suggest your pretty on plane you could get slighltly flatter and.try and get it to bisect the right forearm which would promote more of a ball that pushes out and draws. Or you could focus on the finsh. Finish across your body to fade and up and to the outside to push draw.

With his swing right now.. there is no doubt he hits a fade. His downswing is on a steeper swing plane.

I would call his swing... a pull fade.

When he draws the ball.. the upper body out races the lower body ever so slightly.

I usually try to keep it simple.. I would shorten the swing to get rid of the across the line and the over the top move. Which would improve the downswing.

Then after you shorten your backswing. If you don't want to hit pull fade. Which i think its a fine shot to have. I would say you need have a flatter downswing that would get the shot going out right with a draw.

My shot shape is definitely a fade, but I'd prefer a draw. And after watching that video, it does seem I pulled nearly every shot that day. There's a trampoline about 160 yards out slightly to the left and most of my shots were landing in that area.

I've since worked on shortening my backswing and promptly hooked nearly every shot my last round out. I'll make a new video and post for more critiques. I'm sick of being bummed after playing golf!

I appreciate the responses guys!

You have a similar issue to what I've been having and working on fixing. First, stop reading so much, it puts too much in your head and makes you think too much. The biggest thing you probably want to look at is the top of your swing. I think you're overswing is more your club crossing the plane so it's pointed right of your target line rather than actually overswinging. It looks like your right arm flies out a bit which is what was causing my issue and more than likely causing yours. I would focus on keeping it more tucked at the top and the club will naturally end up back in the right spot at the top (pointing down the target line) and it should flatten the swing out a bit as well. When you get up there you can just let the arms fall down the line and you'll be in a good spot. Just don't overthink it, focus on that right arm and don't worry about the rest.

Tiger-Woods-Top-backswing.jpg

Everything else looks good but by doing this it will keep the club on the target path and that in itself should fix the "overswing" which should also take care of the excess head movement and poor weight transfer. When you do this I can tell you from experience you'll probably hit a ton of shots thin when you make the change correctly, just keep at it and eventually you'll get back down on it properly. Any swing change can be frustrating.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Decent looking swing, nice job.

Your primary concern should be sequencing. Your lower body should start your first move down. It is hard to tell with a swing like this (that looks mostly good) but I would sa that the fade may be coming from a slightly OTT move... notice I said slightly. This means it is mostly a sequencing issue, which means fine tuning.

Good luck!

His sequence down is fine. The over the top steepness is coming from him crossing the line at the top and having the club facing right of the target line. From that spot if he were to come down the proper plane he would end up pushing everything to the right. The steepness is his compensation move to prevent that.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I'm not an expert by any means and currently working on fixing my swing. I actually have a buddy who swings almost identical to you. I would work on shortening my swing and coming more from the inside.... I think a great drill is to stop at the top of your swing for three seconds and then axagerate you swing to the inside. Right now it looks like your arms are out racing your hips, I don't know the exact fix though.

• 3 weeks later...

Your swing plane is ingrained. If you want to draw, Changing it will turn it to crap until it becomes consistant. It will actually feel all wrong at first. Theres 4 major things you have to do
1 you have to bring your left arm down onto a lower flatter plane as you start coming down. Your hands and shaft will feel unfomfortably close and swinging way under where you do now.
2You need to finish out to the right. not across to the left. Swing out to the right with a verybshut club. Right now you finish across your chest. Strive to finish more vertical. Your swing thought should be swing out to the right with a very shut club.
3 slow your hips down. Let the hands sequence closer down infront of you at impact. If the hips clear too fast the shoulder have to come across.
4 stand closer to the ball to swing down inside at it.
Once you learn to draw on demand you can always go to a cut cuz you already know how. You have already hit thousands of them. Now hit a thousand draws. I went through it also the last few seasons and my common miss is now a push or my body reverts and i pull cut or even slice.

It might make you mess for a while. Let the range, and hitting as many draws with as many clubs in the bag as possible, be your focus. I would start with wedges. If you can swing the wedge into right feild with face almost square to target it will go at the target. watch what way it rolls or bounces when it lands. You want them to roll or bounce left.

The balance issue is very clear on the side video with the driver...
If i was to draw lines from your outside of your feet to the outside of your shoulders.. You would notice most of the lean towards your left side.

You have a little reverse pivot going. The weight falling on your back foot during impact, instead of getting to your left side properly.

personally i like the reverse K setup.. Maybe this video from martin might help you..
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZuvykYxmvs[/media]

Your in a standard two plane at the top so it needs to come qite aways inside. Thats just how the two plane swing goes. I dont like the way it feels. So i bring it up much flatter. The sensation i get at the top is; the inside of my left arm loades up across my chest; and brushes down my chest as i turn; to get it in the slot. The more you bring your right elbow down infront of you; or keep it there; the more your left arm has space. Might right elbow trails a bit so my left arm is crowded on the way down. Tha and i have more of a flat shoulder turn.
Just try and swing out to right feild; with what would feel like is a very shut clubface at impact. You may try crowding the ball a bit to help push it more right. Its the combo of face angle and path that shapes the ball.

Personally for you, i'd get a glove in under your right armpit. Backswing is pretty good until your little arm lift towards the end of the backswing which gets the shaft "over plane".

If i were you i'd work on that which will really help tighten things up at the top and give you a better starting point to come back into the ball from.

Definite potential there!

[quote name='bobilishious2' timestamp='1351154599' post='5842941']
Personally for you, i'd get a glove in under your right armpit. Backswing is pretty good until your little arm lift towards the end of the backswing which gets the shaft "over plane".

If i were you i'd work on that which will really help tighten things up at the top and give you a better starting point to come back into the ball from.

Definite potential there!
[/quote]agree here. Simple but effective way to tighten up the elbows. You can use anything. Headcover, towel under the right armpit to prevent the flying elbow. It should put you right on plane. Probably shorten your swing also. Good call bobilicious2

• 2 weeks later...

I came to realize an issue i have with coming over the top. Its a my right elbow and wrist flexibilty issue. What helps me bring it down inside from the top is to have your palm more folded and facing more to the sky. You should look up and see more of the back of your right hand. It allows you to supinate the left wrist all the way down. Your basically getting the right wrist out the way so the club head can trail the shaft down from the inside. If you have any of the same flexibilty issues i do it will definitly allow you to bring it down as inside as you want. The release feels way different as the you can release very late as your rolling the right hand through the ball. Dont flip too much or youll hook it.
Another way to think of it is pull down inside with the left and push down with the palm of the right. Roll the right over to square through impact.

• 1 month later...

Well my swing has deteriorated over the course of the year to the point now where playing isn't even fun.

That being said, I still have a lot of work to do and will be searching for some good instruction as soon as it starts getting warm again.

I do have one major concern though since I twisted my left knee playing a couple months ago and feel like I tore some ligaments since it hurts constantly. I have a million thoughts running through my head when I'm over the ball and have no idea what my legs should be doing on the backswing or even downswing and follow through.

http://youtu.be/iMr4OeiQTgM

I need help!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1358046127' post='6218059']
I'm having lots of trouble with early extension now among several other things. Will be seeing an instructor very soon at an indoor facility but any tips, drills, etc that you guys can see from these swings?

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ6vHSawjds&feature=share&list=UURqWu8JFBINE5Z5IUhSYfBg[/media]
[/quote]

You are not sequencing the downswing correctly, by not getting into your left side and then unwinding.. Now you are spinning out. Watch how you are using your feet, you are now lifting that right foot early and thrusting your leg towards the ball, instead of having the knee working more down the line and rolling on the instep of your right foot. But this might just be a result of you not getting onto your left side.

Watch this:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZRHeumkUN8[/media]