2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bulk balls on Ebay

tjrbu

Who's buying/using them?
Is anyone here buying those bulk golf balls (i.e. AAAA or "Mint" or AAA condition etc.) on ebay and using them? I have a buddy at the club who buys 125 balls at the beginning of the year and claims they last all year long. Seems like a good way to have practice round balls and save a few bucks on Pro V1x's.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been buying new balls on eBay for 1 1/2 years. 3 dz. at a time. I just keep an eye on the bid, plus shipping and make sure I pay less than retail.

I don't know that I could trust someone else's opinion of what is AA, AAA, AAAA. (Especially on eBay)

But if all you're doing is practicing with them, hey.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

Last season I picked up 3 doz Pro V's and they were not worth the savings. They were "Mint" ... well that is what the title said anyway... some were mint some were not, I even got one dt solo!

I will never buy used balls again... most of the time they have been "re-covered" ... the cover on these cheap Pro-V's did not last long... they felt rough very quick...

I will now just pick up new balls if a deal is out there... I picked up 5 Doz Pro V's a few weeks ago for $135 below retail ... if I cant get a deal on e-bay I will play the Wilson Staff Tx4 and save the Pro-V's for matches when I really need them ;)

I bought 6 doz Callaway Hx Reds that were described as the highest quality on that particular seller's grading scale, and they were supposed to be free of cuts and scuffs. The price was fantastic (under $50 shipped) and they arrived quickly. I inspected them and found 10 of them had some (very) light scuffing on them. Now, I'm overly-particular about conditions, but regardless these didn't meet the standard advertised by the seller.

I sent a polite email and the seller gave me the option of returning them or getting a refund of I think 10% back. The rest of the balls looked and felt like they were new, so I kept them. The scuffed ones will come in handy for practice.

The one tip I would give (aside from looking through the seller's feedback, which goes without saying on ebay) is to look at that seller's grading scale. You'll notice there's a bunch of games with sellers throwing around lots of "AAA's" and "+'s" to hide the low quality ones.

Personally, I would only buy the highest graded ones to play on the course, but the lower grade ones will do to fill a practice bag.

this time last year i picked up 12 dozen "mint" titliest nxt tour and nike ta2-lng balls from a seller (major seller but can't remember who it was). balls were as advertised. i put 4 red dots on all the balls, so they were closely inspected. performance seemed on par. sometimes i thought i had a dead ball, but that could be me looking for an excuse on a mishit. only complaint was that some of the balls had logos - which was said in the listing - and i like lining up my putts by having the bare part of the up and it was hard to do with a logo.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I've bought refurbished ProV1, ProV1x and HX Tours from ebay and I'm a bit ambivalent.

I felt the ball performed to about 95% of new balls with the downside that they scuffed up very quickly (often within a hole or two - one full wedge shot and it's shredded and my wedges are a few years old so it's not like they have razor sharp grooves). The refurbed HX Tours were especially bad about checking up on the greens, especially compared to new HX Tours or even the refurbed ProV1's which almost defeated the purpose of getting them.

I read somewhere (can't seem to find the link) that the materials used in the cover of premium golf balls doesn't react well to being immersed in water. It may be that when these refurbs are lake balls it may result in the the balls losing some of the properties that make them so good when new.

That said, I've shot rounds in the mid 70's with these balls so they can't be all that bad, and I would probably prefer to play these balls rather than new NXT Tours or similar.

I bought a bunch of Strata Tour Aces from 2 different sellers & was satisfied, but then I bought some NXT Tours that were sub-par. It really soured me on ebay balls & I won't buy anymore. In fact, I'm really leery about buying anything else off ebay with all the counterfieting. The two guys that got busted in Cali a month or so back had sold lots of stuff including ProV1s & only one person left negative feedback after they realized they were fake balls. These guys had over 400 transactions that I could find on thier multiple accounts. Buyer Beware!!!

I Will buy practice or winter balls only. If I want to play a new ball I will buy what I want new. The AAA or AAA+ balls are what they are advertised as , used balls. You get exactly what you pay for.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

• 1 month later...

Here's a good deal on TP Red practice balls.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?s=...st&p=420417

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I now buy, and will continue to buy, from the same guy every time on ebay. I've bought 6 dozen balls from him, 3 AAA (out of 4) and 3 AAA+ (out of 4). I've been EXTREMELY happy with the purchases. 6 dozen ProV's (1's and X's) for less than $90 combined. You just can't beat it. 95% of the balls look new. The other 5% look like they've been hit once. To me it doesn't make any sense to pay $46 a dozen when you can have 3 dozen for that price. But then again, I'm a budget golfer!