eisen99

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

[quote name='dlchasen' timestamp='1370805135' post='7200472']
I'm also thinking of relocating there. Anyone have any knowledge of the private clubs in that area?
[/quote]

I grew up in Greeley a LONG time ago, so the Boomerang daily fee course was built well after I was gone, but I hear it is pretty OK. Greeley CC is the private club - short because it was built long before people figured out that 5000 elevation makes courses play shorter, but tree lined with rolling terrain and usually in good shape. Highland Hills is the other city course which now is very mature with all the trees grown up from my days there (!!) and is a decent layout around 7000 yds from the back. Not sure if it is still around, but the Elks club built a gorgeous 18 hole par-3 course in the late 60s that had everything you could want in par 3 practice challenges to your game from 240 to 130.

TOM

• 5 months later...

I live in Ft. Collins so I've played all of the public courses. There are 3 city owned courses in Ft. Collins - City Park 9, Southridge, and Collindale. City Park 9 is pretty much just what it sounds like - a beautiful little 9 hole course that is great for high handicappers, seniors, and the ladies. It is a short course that I only hit driver on once. It's fun to tee off with long irons to test that part of your game. The greens are flat and slow but it's a fun place. Southridge is an 18 hole course that has some really beautiful views. There is a lot of elevation change, a good mix of holes, and a faster green than City Park 9. The driving range here is small and gets torn up fast, but there is a very challenging putting green there. Nice clubhouse area as well. Finally, there is Collindale. Collindale is a 7300 from the tips, has tight, tree lined fairways (If you're not in the fairway you're punching out), and small, fast greens that are always in fantastic shape. Local US Open Qualifying is held here. It's a very challenging course with a very nice practice area. Vince and Matt run the club fitting and instruction area and they both do a fantastic job. Recommend them very highly. Collindale is without a doubt the highest quality municipal course I've ever seen.

The courses in Windsor like Pelican Lakes and Highland Meadows are both very nice as well. They're a bit more expensive but definitely worth it. The 3 courses in Loveland that are owned by the city are all shorter courses but are very fun to play and have some BEAUTIFUL views of the front range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Playing Mariana Butte tomorrow so I look forward to it!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='milehigh331' timestamp='1401206078' post='9374257']
Collindale definately has some of the best greens in Northern Colorado.

DTown..MarianaButte had some of their holes wiped out in the flood last September. Were there recovered from the flood damage?
[/quote]

I played The Butte on Sunday and was only mildly impressed. I know a lot of people talk about the views and vistas, which are obviously gorgeous but the course really had zero identity and many of the holes felt like they were just fit into grand scheme of things. All of the holes are back in play BUT the Big Thompson is very high and any more water #15 and #16 will be under water again. But it seems like they've done a good job of bringing everything back to normal. Greens were relatively slow as well.

The highlight is the over 100 Colorado beers on the bottle list at the clubhouse. Unfortunately I saw an inordinate amount of jeans and t-shirts out there as well (I know it's a city course) but I really feel jeans have no place anywhere near a golf facility but that's just me.

Overall for $43 it was a good value but I won't be rushing out to play it again anytime soon.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1401297485' post='9382731']
[quote name='milehigh331' timestamp='1401206078' post='9374257']
Collindale definately has some of the best greens in Northern Colorado.

DTown..MarianaButte had some of their holes wiped out in the flood last September. Were there recovered from the flood damage?
[/quote]

I played The Butte on Sunday and was only mildly impressed. I know a lot of people talk about the views and vistas, which are obviously gorgeous but the course really had zero identity and many of the holes felt like they were just fit into grand scheme of things. All of the holes are back in play BUT the Big Thompson is very high and any more water #15 and #16 will be under water again. But it seems like they've done a good job of bringing everything back to normal. Greens were relatively slow as well.

The highlight is the over 100 Colorado beers on the bottle list at the clubhouse. Unfortunately I saw an inordinate amount of jeans and t-shirts out there as well (I know it's a city course) but I really feel jeans have no place anywhere near a golf facility but that's just me.

Overall for $43 it was a good value but I won't be rushing out to play it again anytime soon.
[/quote]

I think this is a pretty fair assessment - If anyone is looking to get a WRX gathering together in the Northern Colorado area, just holler!

• 1 month later...

Public: In this area, I'm really fond of the Olde Course in Loveland and Highland Meadows in Windsor. Highland Hills in Greeley is also very good and very affordable.

Private: I was a member at Greeley CC for about 4 years and have played them all as either reciprocal agreements or as a guest. I'd rank them as follows:
1. Greeley CC - maybe I have a soft spot for it, but I love playing there and I'll go back some day and be a member again. It's on the short side, but really, being a part 70 and getting out to around 6700 yards from the tips and with how narrow it is, it's a tough test and you need to be able to work the ball both ways to really attack it. Playing that course made me a better driver of the golf ball.
2. Harmony Club in Windsor - Some people aren't a fan of Jim Engh designs, but I love this one and I think it's the least "tricked up" of his Colorado layouts. The back nine, in particular, is great.
3. Fort Collins CC - I almost put this one at #4 because I'm not a huge fan of the front 9, but the back might be my favorite 9 holes in northern Colorado.
4. Fox Hill CC - I played this course a lot in the 90's and it's always in fantastic shape. There are some strange holes, but it's still a fun track.
5. Ptarmigan CC - I really wish I liked this course more, because I'd join it if I did. I can almost walk to it from my house. I just don't like the feel for whatever reason. My least favorite Nicklaus design I've played.

Anyway, just one man's opinion.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='BenR' timestamp='1389984366' post='8478929']
I love Marianna Butte. It's beautiful. When you play Collindale just keep the ball in the fairway and below the hole and you'll have a great time.
[/quote]

Did get to play Collindale last week. My kind of course, tree lined parkland style. I can usually see where I'm supposed to hit it.

I don't think it's quite as tight as our home course but all the subtle doglegs really make a huge difference. If you can work the ball with driver it makes a huge difference in being able to score. One thing I really like is the trees, they are the type you can usually find your ball and at least make a partial swing to get it back in play. I really dislike the "Christmas" tree type trees when they are not trimmed up. I've played courses (ours included) where you almost impale yourself trying to find your ball, and then get to it. And when you do, you can't get under the branches to punch out, and they're so wide that two clublengths won't get you clear.

The greens really are very good, especially with the amount of play I'm guessing they get. There were a lot of ball marks, but with the recent rain that was understandable. They were quick and rolled really nice. Definitely do want to be below the hole or you can have a putt get away from you pretty easily.

All in all, for $49 riding, I thought it was very well worth the money. I'd like to go play there with my regular group. I was a single and they paired me with a father and son (which is perfectly fine), I played the whites because that was where dad was playing, but then he also let his nine year old play from there too. The young man had a very nice swing and played pretty well, but that added length was too much, not only did it slow us down, but finally after about six holes I think he was worn out and started not paying attention. Small problem I know.