2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Long Putter / Anchored Putter Debate…My View

SeeMore Putters

Long Putter / Anchored Putter Debate...My View

by Jim Grundberg - Owner SeeMore Putter Company

I know it may be too late to have any impact on this debate now. But I'll take my best shot at trying to make a case for the status quo. In my opinion it will be the wrong move for golf to ban the anchored putter at this time. Nothing is really all that broken in this area. I understand golfers believing that maybe these putters should have never been allowed in the first place. Some of them are big influential names in golf. I get that. But these long putters have peacefully co-existed with the game of golf at all levels now for years. So what that a few Major championships recently were won by guys who used long putters? Exciting? Yes. Coincidence? Probably. Random? Definitely. For sure not a game changing trend. The list of top putters on tour statistically has very few using long anchored putters. If left alone it might be years until another Major is won by a player using a long putter.

The issue is not a super divisive issue now. When asked, yes many have opinions on it. But for most it is a very small issue. In other words some believe in long putters, and others do not, but users of standard and long putters regularly play the game on all levels together and enjoy it. 95% of teaching pros I know have at one time or another endorsed use of a long putter for at least one of their students, and many have experimented with long putters themselves. Now is a great time in golf to put more focus on teachers (SPi instructors come to mind) and products (SeeMore's RifleScope Technology comes to mind) which can get students fired up about working to help golfers improve their putting. And in my opinion, anchored putters should remain one of the choices that golfers and instructors have to start the process of improving one's putting.

Changing the rules now makes it a much more divisive issue. Much more. Once the ruling bodies say that long putters are banned, now there are 2 strong sides. One side will say finally the right thing is done. And look at all former users as "cheaters" because by banning something, whether you mean to or not, you put an asterisk next to those who have used them. So the most exciting moments of the last 2 years...Major Championships and Ryder Cups...will all come with the qualifier that of course those were won by players using the dreaded "anchored" putter. This is the tyranny of the majority, where those who really would never use one or benefit from one, will belittle the accomplishments of those who have. The other group, those who have benefited at least in terms of enjoyment by using one, will now also be forced to be defensive, and may feel quite angry about golf's ruling bodies and why they have picked on them. It won't be pretty.

We all believe golf would do well to find ways to make this great sport more inclusive, more fun. Increase participation, build up superstars, etc. Golf courses have become very hard to play. Putting greens are way more difficult than ever, nothing like the old days...there is more undulation, faster roll, and more 3 and 4 putts than ever! Rightly so, we are seeing a trend toward golfers and instructors putting much more focus on helping golfers putt better. Better equipment. Better instruction. More focus and practice time. Better putting involves so much more than just a better stroke and better putter. Green reading in terms of speed, direction, turf type and tendencies, effect of undulation. Very complicated and complex. But a great challenge that can bring more fun to the game for many. And if some choose a long putter now and then, and it gives them more confidence and leads to more practice hours, then better play and more fun will result. Wouldn't that be great?

The worst part of this is that you are going to take some of the most exciting moments and best stars of the game the last few years...Bill Haas and the FedEx Cup, Keegan Bradley at the PGA, and the Ryder Cup, Webb Simpson at the US Open, and Ernie at the Open, and clearly give these guys asterisks. Great Champion Tour careers such as that of Bernhard Langer. One huge asterisk. The decision makers will say it is not so. But it is human nature. Great victories will now be associated with use of a club that will be deemed to have been wrong.

From a fairness perspective, this will be deemed at the highest historical levels as golf's version of baseball's steroid era. Everyone will qualify any statement about any of these great champions. Would they have won with a conforming putter?

Just not good for the game in my opinion.

I want to hear from you! Let me know your thoughts - HERE.

Sincerely,

Jim

Jim Grundberg

Co-owner, CEO

• Replies -1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days