Taylor made and hacks

longball300

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree dude. I see it all the time. People come out to the golf course with their sweet new TaylorMade R17 SuperDuperQuad Driver and are like "yeah man look at my new driver." I see them go to the range and duff 3 left, sky 4, and heel cut the rest. It's all the Dick's Sporting Goods buyer people too. Just an observation...

i work in a retail store and had 2 guys come in today and asked about 3 woods..... trying to fit them i asked how far they hit their six iron and then i asked how much they were looking to spend and the first thing they both said (they came in at different times) was i jus ant to stick with taylor made.... i dont under stand the standard consumers facinations with TM stuff. Mind you i use their 425 but i got it at a steal price $250 new 2 months after it came out for with a diamana. anyway thats the only TM club i use. then they say say they only use TM and another thing is to that i find rele funny is how people ask me about clubs and they say they want to stick to TM in every thing when i say other stuff would work better for their game..... its like they think their getting paid i just dont understand

i will say i dont know what TM does but they have worked magic on the consumer and in that regard i have to give them credit

Well TM makes great products and have innovative designs like MWT etc... I play TM V steel woods.. I just had a rant... When callaway golf came out with the successful BB line it was pretty popular and people that played with where called hacks.. funny PING players have never been labelled that.. maybe because of the good amatuer players in colleges etc that uses PINGS

Pretty bad generalizations guys. Taylormade has great brand recognition, so its only reasonable that golfers of many levels play the company's clubs.

I would usually agree with you about generalizations like that, but I think they may be right. Used to it was all the hackers showed up with their Great Big Bertha and triple oversized irons. Now they all seem to have TM drivers and their same triple oversized irons. Not that I am against that, but it is kind of funny. Guys seem to think new driver = new game. But you are right, you have to credit TM's branding. They make a good product and they know how to sell it. But I still have to chuckle when a guy tees up his new $499 TM driver in the pro-am, then tattoos it with nice sky mark.

I think it is an OK generalization. I mean yeah TaylorMade has a sweet azz TP lineup...but I rarely see someone with the TP blades, wedges, and drivers in their bag. It is more like the people he have like the rescue stuff and the brand new R7 460 and stuff...now granted lots of people have those on here and they are probably not hacks by any means. It is just that stereotype TaylorMade puts out with their stuff. Yeah lots of people on tour play TM, but they have the TP stuff...these guys I'm seeing are straight up hacks and they always have the latest TM driver. To say that TM is just for hacks, wouldn't be right. But to say TM has a lot of hacks getting their latest things, would be correct.

You guys are setting yourself up for a nice hard fall.

One of the best players I've ever played with played knock-off "767's". He's played in 6 US Opens (had the lead in 1) and is in the Guiness Book for low round. He showed up with jeans and a chili-stained sweatshirt.

The point is - The brand of clubs don't make the player

You guys are setting yourself up for a nice hard fall.

One of the best players I've ever played with played knock-off "767's". He's played in 6 US Opens (had the lead in 1) and is in the Guiness Book for low round. He showed up with jeans and a chili-stained sweatshirt.

The point is - The brand of clubs don't make the player

I think somewhere in there between all the replies; your point sits right at the core.

My guess is that the first posters main concern is that TM may start getting a Hacker Preffered reputation.

But TM is actually going straight at that market; R7 Draw ring a bell. With a comercial making it clear that its meant to be played by anyone trying to get rid of the Slice...

I feel sorry for any player geting ofended by their brand going after that "hacker" market because this is one of the segments in the market that they can make the most money on. Hell look at Mizuno with the slogan "its not just for players anymore".

At the end of the day they all need to answer to shareholders...

Just my interpretation.

They really have overtaken Callaway in that department...it's not to say they don't make great stuff, so I don't know why the TM fans would get their undies in a bunch, they just have that name recognition right now that 63 handicaps are looking for.

Though, I do work in retail, and Nike is really starting to come on strong...

I have been trying not to get involved in this thread but............ :D

I have a bias, just look at my signature but if any company is serving both sides of the table right now well it is TM. Their TP lines are some of the best clubs out there for players and Dicks line-up is catering to weekend golfers.

My problem is I see more hacks chewing up the course with Nike's huge drivers and slingshots. It's the market they want, make the most money in and it is obvious by their line-up. They won't bring the split backs to market and pull the players fairway woods and hybrids.

This also has been Callaway's calling card for years and until the XTour irons the best Callaway could offer a player was a Cast Pro-Series pancake flipper! :fool:

At least TM puts out a whole line-up for players, not just a single blade...what OEM does this better? Titleist can't claim that market because their non-players clubs are not always that good.

TM has a hacker line-up but at least they have the TP line up, they might be the most complete company out there right now.

By the way, its funny anytime a guys pops up any driver thats new! :)

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

I would gladly be happy if someone thought I was a hack because I play a TM driver. Makes it easier to take ther money, That is till I hit the first tee ball. LOL

I don't know if I agree with the generalization or not. Most hackers I've played with play knockoffs or outdated equipment, wear jeans and a t-shirt and NO golf shoes. Whenever someone doesn't have golf shoes you know your in for a long day.

Taylor Made staffer here, but I have mixed emotions about this thread. Part of me wants to scream and yell at everyone who called TM clubs "hacker clubs" and part of me realizes that it's my fault for fitting the "hackers" for their clubs. They cover all sku's of clubs for all ability levels of players. Just keep in mind that Aaron Oberholser is playing those 755 Titleist shovels, and Rory Sabbatini is playing the Nike Shovels. I don't think that it's fair to label one particular OEM as a "hacker club" remember you are basing your generalizations on experiences not taking a step back and looking at the whole picture. Sure Taylor Made drivers are in the clubs of high handicappers, but the same club is in the hands of tour players, I think that speaks volumes about the quality of their product and the same goes for other major companies, i.e. Titleist, Nike, and Cally. "Hackers are like the rest of us, they want the best equipment that money can buy. I think that a mid handicapper playing blades is a bigger issue than a 20 handicapper playing a TM driver. IMO

I don't think anybody is calling all TM clubs "hacker clubs", or saying that anyone who plays TM is a hacker, because clearly they have some great sticks, and they have some great guys repping them...but you can't deny the percentage of duffers playing R7 Quads

Some of the guys are not reading the whole thread... :)

TM Guys: Nobody is saying that TM is a hacker club, or that only hackers play TM.. And if they are they missed the point from the very first post.

First question would be: Why would a hacker want to play any mainstream brand? Because Good/great players are playing them... Hence Staff (paid) Players.

Second why would any company, make a "hacker" club? to Make money... hence the R7 Draw.

The problem is that, ego hurts everybody. The hacker who wants an $500 R7 Quad instead of a $300 Draw; and the (non good ball striker) who wants to play a blade that only Tiger can hole out from 180 yards almost on command instead of a Cavity back.

Fitters are terrible about it sometimes too, I had a guy pushing the MP60s at me trying to convince me that they are more forgiving than the XTours. And all you have to do is look at them side by side.

Don't get me wrong I love the way the MP60 look and feel but; the bottom line is that I am not that good.

So I went for the Blade look and feel (almost) with an XTour; but it still has a boatload of forgiveness.

Its all about the almighty dollar. :fool:

When you sell your clubs in Costco/Sam's Club/ Walmart what do you expect? Nike is just as guilty.

As someone you owns a shop, I've had the displeasure of having one of their purchasers coming up to me with their broken Costco bought TM club expecting me to send it back for them......and they had the nerve to expect me to do it for free!!! Uh yeah sure...don't hold your breath.

HOWEVER, this thread is over-the-top rediculous. Stereotyping/labeling people over their clubs? If you can't see the problem with that you have more serious issues that need solving than golf clubs.

My point in the above thread was one of not only a PGA professional but as a TM staffer as well. I admitted it was my fault for fitting "hackers" with TM clubs. There was no misinterpretation; however, I do find it a little ridiculous to point out the observation of the abundance of r7 irons in the bags of high handicap golfers. Take Orlimar for example, easy to hit fairway wood, adams as well, was that labeled as a high handicap club? I am not disputing the presence of this brand in players bags, but merely pointing out that there are other OEM's in the same boat. I personally DO NOT agree with their recent practice of dumping clubs on Overstock.com or coming out with a new driver every 6 hours. I also applaud their introduction of the draw series and their aggressive marketing tactic to get this club in the bags of more players. Sergio plays T-Made and so do I, even if you are a 30 handicapper it is fantastic marketing. It's just another ploy to sell more clubs and we all know everything comes down to the all mighty dollar.

Of all oems though, they cater to the most wide range of golfers, from scratch to high handicap, which i have to applaud them for. If a hacker wants to buy tp equipment, let him, its more money for tm. But for people that are brand loyal, they help those people with wide ranges of equipment. Many slice, so the r7 draw line came out, and then the new superquad, obviously is meant for a bit better of golfer. So yes, a lot of hacks play tm probably, but that means that they marketed to them the best.

Wow, this thread got big quick. As previously stated by other posters, I hope no one is offended by the observation of TM being popular with hackers. I certainly hope no one thinks any of us are trying to label TM guys as hackers either. I think it is just an observation that the masses seem to migrate. They seem to have migrated from Cally to TM. It is fair to say ALL OEM's want that market. They are the guys that spend $$$ on clubs. Nike is as guilty as anyone (although shovel may be a little harsh...well, ok maybe not). But anyway don't take anything out of context. Nothin but love for the TM guys.

i'm sure that we 'hackers' (i'm off 15) with our TM or whatever, expensive brand driver look as funny to lots of you 'golfers' as you would look to tiger if he was watching you 'bomb' one down the 1st.

if someone enjoys golf - at whatever level, and has the money to spend, let them spend it how they want...

golf elitism will never truly die.

Ok wait wait...lets back this up a little.

If some "hack" has a TM r7 425...and shoots 110 every round...WHO CARES!!

are you not aloud to play whatever clubs you like??

If you have enough money to spend on clubs WHO CARES what clubs you play. I would say 90% of golfers out there don't care what kind of shaft they have other than the stiffness. They don't know the difference between and Ozik and a Prolaunch and frankly could care less.

If they spend $500 on a driver...good good for them it gives them more confidence on the course.

As an example my Dad has a 425 TP driver and he has Titleist 695mb irons. Now my dad has no business hitting blades non whatsoever, but he has them and plays them to an 80-85 everytime he goes out. I don't tell him "dad if you got some more forgving clubs you'd knock a few strokes off your game" why don't I tell him this? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T CARE, he paid the money for these clubs, hand picked them and its what he wants to use.

The only reason TM is so popular among "hacks" is because their clubs actually did help "hacks" games. Believe it or not, the r7 weight system does effect your game and can in fact fix hooks/slices especially on high handicappers. If it wasn't for the original r7 TP Taylor Made would not nearly be as popular among the common golfer today.