Ping G5

I had not played a driver regularly for years, using a 5-wood off the tee. I hit long and usually can hit the generic 5-wood I play as far or farther than most people that I play with hit a driver. This past summer though, I decided to give a driver one more shot and wanted to get a top of the line model.

I read several reviews on other sites and decided to try the Ping G5 10.5* although I knew no one personally that owned one or had even hit one. I settled on the OEM Ping shaft in a stiff flex since it was a mid-launch. The other shafts that Ping offered were a low and a high launch, and since I was unsure, I went for the middle. I got mine off of Ebay in September.

The huge head took some getting used to, especially since I had been predominatley playing a rather shallow faced 5-wood. After a couple of trips to the range though, and now having played it a few months, all I can say is SWEET! The only thing I don't like is that I have a hard time telling where on the head I make contact, so perhaps feedback is not as good as on some other drivers? That being said though, the G5 is very forgiving and plenty long. Some people have stated they have had balls ballon with theirs, but even with this loft I have not experienced that. Too, some people say that with the big headed drivers, ease off your swing and still get great results. That may be true, but I find that when I am warmed up and loose, I can put all I've got into this club and the results are freaky long!! I am not a big guy, but have always had the gift of length, but I'm telling you, I freak some people out with this club.

Maybe, with my limited experience the last few years with other drivers, my analysis is not what you are looking for, but consider this:

There are 8 people that I play golf with at least once a month, and four of them pretty much weekly. Of those 8 people, none of them were in the market for new drivers, but 3 of them are playing Ping G5's now, after seeing how I hit mine and after hitting mine themselves a few times, and loving them! The other 5 people? It's better than even money at least 4 of them have a G5 by the end of June and the other guy is just stubborn. Yeah, it is that good of a club.

Just one thing though. One of the other buyers is a senior and got the stock "R" flex shaft and fades it. Even with his much slower swing speed than mine, he hits the stiff flex better. I might go to a different shaft in mine this season and even read where some one else did that and shortened the length. I'd be interested to know of other results from shaft changes and suggestions. Mine is the stock Ping TFC100D Stiff.

I highly recommend the Ping G5.

golfcrazy62

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
is it just me or is this like the same driver as the g2 except the sole has extra blue lines but i must say this driver is awsome

No, not excactly. The G5 has a web pattern in the crown to save weight. btw. its the same pattern you can see trought the crown in the Rapture. This is from ping.com:

Weight from low stress areas in the crown is repositioned on the sole to lower the center of gravity and reduce spin rates. The web design (thinner sections divided by slightly thicker separation bars) of the weight removal area ensures the structural integrity of the clubhead.

I tried the G5 at a customfitting center. After hitting a few balls with my old driver (TM r580 R), the pro took my club and asked what bullsh!t this was (with a smile. He's not a fan of TM) and handed me a G5 9* aldila NV65-S. After hitting some real bad shots with my old driver (low draw/hooks), I tried the G5 and bombed the ball down the drivingrange. I could use all the power I wanted and smashed the ball beyond the end of the range, which is about 300+, straight as a ruler.

Love this club!

• 2 weeks later...

I first left a review of this club in January of this year. At that time I was thinking of reshafting and going a bit shorter length to maybe keep more balls in the fairlway and because there is distance to spare with this club. I went ahead and took 1 1/4" (random number I know) off the stock shaft just to try. I did nothing to compensate for swingweight or anything else, just butt trimmed it and put on a new grip.

I am one of those guys even thinking that with it being shorter in length, I might hit it flush more often and even gain distance. Even if I don't, I would still sacrifice a little distance for a few more fairways. I kid you not, the first time I played it on the course after that, I had been hitting great all day and came to #14 on my home course. I did have about a 20mph tailwind, but I have played this course many a time with a 20mph tailwind. I crushed it. Everyone else in the group hit their second and we started looking for mine. It went straight down the fairway but we still didn't see it till we looked on the back of the green, just barely on the back fringe. It was a 381 yd par 4. I have always been a long hitter and have driven a few par 4's before, but I am so much more consistant now.

I usually shoot in the mid 80's with 4 or 5 rounds a year in the 70's, but I had never had two back to back rounds in the 70's and never two in April until this year. This is a fantastic driver and I think even better with a shorter shaft. Try this driver!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is my second favorite driver of all time, it goes and goes and is accurate with the proper shaft. The only reason I didn't like it was because it gave me to much spin and would cause a slight fade with my swing. Still a great club and it's the driver I had in my bag the longest, I just recently replaced it with a Nike SQ which is a better fit for my swing.

4 Stars from me...

[size=2][b]WITB- PXG 0811 9* | Titleist 915F 3W | Titleist 816 H1 19* | Titleist T-MB 4i | Titleist 716 AP2 5-G | Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54* & 58* | Byron Morgan DH89 360G | Ping Hoofer Blackout Bag[/b][/size]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 12* Soft R flex G5 on loan from a golfer who is trying to sell it. It is at stock length..45"+, but it hits sweet and I hit all fairways the first round I used it. Had a few offcenter hits but they went straight. I can't shorten to my favorite 44" length unless I buy it. May do, if his price is right. Nice Driver!

I was playing a 10.5* TM 425 TP with Fuji 661 tour spec stiff. Very nice, excellent. Was not unhappy.

Went to Golf Galaxy one day and wanted to try a 460 cc head just for fun. Pick up a G5 (neutral) with NV 65 S shaft and head to the monitor. Begin hitting beautiful mid/high little draws immediately. Begin to go after the thing and still get the same results ! A half hour later, bought the darn thing on the spot. Am afraid to do anything to it except regrip every so often. I do not fuss with it. I do not try other drivers.

Sets up great, goes long and is very predictable.. What else do you need? Has saved me 3 strokes off my hcp. The G5 is good stuff indeed.

(By the way, I tried the NV shaft in the TM 425 TP and did not care for it at all. Go figure. There is a moral to this story somewhere).

• 7 months later...

I've had my G5 (10.5* stock shaft R flex) for about a year and love it. Found it a little hard to control at first and eventually had it shortened to 45" and that made a big difference. Swingweight is a little light after shortening but I've adapted. The G5 replaced my Cleveland Launcher 460, a club that I loved but that also produced a big fade at inopportune moments.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

• 4 months later...

I was in a local Golfsmith Labor Day weekend. I found a WRX G5 9* with an X-Flex Speeder 757 shaft in it. Took it back to the bays and hit several balls with it. Even though that flex is technically way too much for my swing, for some reason I was hitting it well. For the price, couldn't pass it up so I took it home with me. Long story short, I love it. Hitting the longest drives I ever have with it.

• 3 months later...

I picked up a 7.5 degree head with a NVS X flex shaft and I love it. I was worried about the low loft at first but my I have the best ball flight I have had in a long time. It is also the first driver that I can hit a controlled draw with on the course. With my taylormade burner I used to worry about hitting a snap hook and that is never a concern with this club. I was looking at a G10 but this was close for less money.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq Red 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w VA Baddazz 70X

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ TT X100

Vokey 46* w/ TT X100

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I gamed this driver for 4 years, on and off. It's a great club that really, really booms it when you center one. If you tend to hit out on the toe, I would say forget it as that was always the worst of mishits for me (much more forgiving off the heel IMO).

If anyone is looking for a great driver that is a couple of years old for cheap...I'd start here.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

• 5 years later...