G25 vs G20 vs G15

jons1

G5's are nice irons no doubt. They have more offset in the short irons than the later G clubs, and also don't have the toe weight, which helps toe strikes. Other thing is most sets had CS Lites, which are not my favorite Ping shaft. Not sure I'd go out of my way to pick these up when G10's aren't much more expensive.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1361328914' post='6462411']
[quote name='fatbob' timestamp='1361328175' post='6462309']
Bummer, Have the G15s and was planning on getting G25 irons. Maybe not after hearing they aren't really any better. Still pondering JPX 825s though.
[/quote]

Honestly, don't switch...i know as a ho sometimes you want to....but i went from G15's to JPX800, to G10's to Eye2's....you aren't going to hit the ball any better
[/quote]

Jeff (or anyone), can you provide a bit of feedback on the g5s? What is it you like about them? Old grooves/simple CTP/durability vs. new badges of the newer series?

I'm just asking because I have a few long irons of the g5s I sometimes mix in with my i5s, but was contemplating getting a 5 and 6 iron in the g25. Would there be a big difference in flight and feel or would it not be worth the money? I don't care if my clubs match years/series.

Thanks

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

With regards to the G5's, I like their simple, no frills look. The CTP wasn't that rubbery-plastic type material that the 10's, 15's and 20's have (not sure what the 25's have) and it doesn't have a flashy cavity badge like the 15's have. Although others don't like the blue color scheme, I don't mind it at all, and much prefer it over the orange G10's. The soles are large, but not as large as the newer G models. Nessism is right about the lack of toe weighting, which is a big advantage to the newer G's, IMO. I'm fighting an outside-in swing and my miss hits are always off the toe, but they still go quite far.

Dang this thread, it's making me want to go back to some G5's now. White dot G5's for sale anyone? :)

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1361455956' post='6471199']
With regards to the G5's, I like their simple, no frills look. The CTP wasn't that rubbery-plastic type material that the 10's, 15's and 20's have (not sure what the 25's have) and it doesn't have a flashy cavity badge like the 15's have. Although others don't like the blue color scheme, I don't mind it at all, and much prefer it over the orange G10's. The soles are large, but not as large as the newer G models. Nessism is right about the lack of toe weighting, which is a big advantage to the newer G's, IMO. I'm fighting an outside-in swing and my miss hits are always off the toe, but they still go quite far.

Dang this thread, it's making me want to go back to some G5's now. White dot G5's for sale anyone? :)
[/quote]

Thank you for the feedback. I guess I can compare the g5s and g25s at the range to see if there's any significant difference.

Cheers.

3w broken

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1361441766' post='6470611']
Bummer, Have the G15s and was planning on getting G25 irons. Maybe not after hearing they aren't really any better. Still pondering JPX 825s though.
[/quote]

Honestly, don't switch...i know as a ho sometimes you want to....but i went from G15's to JPX800, to G10's to Eye2's....you aren't going to hit the ball any better
[/quote]

Jeff (or anyone), can you provide a bit of feedback on the g5s? What is it you like about them? Old grooves/simple CTP/durability vs. new badges of the newer series?

I'm just asking because I have a few long irons of the g5s I sometimes mix in with my i5s, but was contemplating getting a 5 and 6 iron in the g25. Would there be a big difference in flight and feel or would it not be worth the money? I don't care if my clubs match years/series.

Thanks
[/quote]

As far as your questions regarding the G5's - yes, yes, and YES! I am with those that think these were the greatest heads of the G series - maximum game improvement with such a simple, yet obviously all Ping industrial look. The offset was a little much, but otherwise perfect. I would still have mine except the shafts (z-z65) were way to stiff for my swing. I got the G15's with CFS (in the right flex for me) for literally a few bucks more than I sold the G5's for. I love the shafts, but the G15 heads are easily the ugliest of the series. Way to busy and bright and I hate red! They perform great though, so they are sticking around.

Now - as for replacing the i5 5 and 6 irons with G25 5 and 6 - looking at the specs that is not actually a bad idea at all. With the slightly less offset of the G25's they would blend better. You would get the added forgiveness and slightly higher launch angle that everyone could use in those mid - long irons. If you requested the G25 @ 30* loft the progression would actually be more consistent than either the i5 or the G25 (26, 30, 34 i5 7 iron).And you would get to keep those super sweet i5's in play! As long as the shafts match up and the difference in finish didn't bother you, I think that set up would work out very, very well!

I loved my g20 woods until I hit the g25 woods and not only are they sexy but real solid but still sticking with my g20s this year

TaylorMade R1 Black Aldila 44 Magnum
Rocketballz Stage 2 Fuji Fuel X
TaylorMade r11TP 18* DG TI x100
R9TP PX 6.0
Taylormade ATV 52* 56* 60* TI X100
odyssey sabertooth2 super stroke 1.0

[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1361499605' post='6476539']
[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1361441766' post='6470611']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

As far as your questions regarding the G5's - yes, yes, and YES! I am with those that think these were the greatest heads of the G series - maximum game improvement with such a simple, yet obviously all Ping industrial look. The offset was a little much, but otherwise perfect. I would still have mine except the shafts (z-z65) were way to stiff for my swing. I got the G15's with CFS (in the right flex for me) for literally a few bucks more than I sold the G5's for. I love the shafts, but the G15 heads are easily the ugliest of the series. Way to busy and bright and I hate red! They perform great though, so they are sticking around.

Now - as for replacing the i5 5 and 6 irons with G25 5 and 6 - looking at the specs that is not actually a bad idea at all. With the slightly less offset of the G25's they would blend better. You would get the added forgiveness and slightly higher launch angle that everyone could use in those mid - long irons. If you requested the G25 @ 30* loft the progression would actually be more consistent than either the i5 or the G25 (26, 30, 34 i5 7 iron).And you would get to keep those super sweet i5's in play! As long as the shafts match up and the difference in finish didn't bother you, I think that set up would work out very, very well!
[/quote]

Thank you! Yes I would definitely check the lofts and ask for a special order from Ping to make sure the 6 is at least 3 degrees stronger than the i5 7. Same goes for the g25 5 compared to the 6. I do like the slimmer look and dark finish of the 25 series and don't mind the difference in look from the i5s. Shafts would be definitely matched up..no mixing for me there! Haha.

3w broken

I prefer the CFS over the AWT by a wide margin just because they fit my swing better. [quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1361993977' post='6514901']
Does anyone have anymore feedback/comparisons between the G15 and G25 irons? I currently game the G15s with AWT stiff and was thinking about upgrading to the 25's with the CFS.
[/quote]

I prefer the CFS over the AWT by a wide margin, but they fit my swing much better. I think the G25's are a better looking club, but there is not enough performance difference to upgrade from the 15's, so I will stick with what I have.

As far as forgiveness you aren't going to gain any ground, but if it is a better shaft for your swing and your confidence is higher then it may be worth it.

[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1362010183' post='6516441']
I prefer the CFS over the AWT by a wide margin just because they fit my swing better. [quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1361993977' post='6514901']
Does anyone have anymore feedback/comparisons between the G15 and G25 irons? I currently game the G15s with AWT stiff and was thinking about upgrading to the 25's with the CFS.
[/quote]

I prefer the CFS over the AWT by a wide margin, but they fit my swing much better. I think the G25's are a better looking club, but there is not enough performance difference to upgrade from the 15's, so I will stick with what I have.

As far as forgiveness you aren't going to gain any ground, but if it is a better shaft for your swing and your confidence is higher then it may be worth it.
[/quote]
I was just curious. My G15's are still in really good shape and I will probably game them untill at least late summer and then maybe make my move to the 25's. I believe when people say there was hardly any noticeable difference in ball flight between the two. We all like having the new stuff though!

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

Well now I'm in a bind! Fell in love with the thought of new G25 irons with all the release hype. Had some gift cards saved up and got a chance to sell my G10 irons for more than offered as trade-in. So sold them and waiting to get fit before ordering. Now hearing from everyone that I might be wasting my money to upgrade. Having to use my old Eye 2 plus no plus and wondering if maybe old school may just be okay after all. Thanks to everyone for taking time to test and give input. Will keep reading until I get a chance to get to the big city to make a decision.

[quote name='Emmett' timestamp='1362508568' post='6552295']
Well now I'm in a bind! Fell in love with the thought of new G25 irons with all the release hype. Had some gift cards saved up and got a chance to sell my G10 irons for more than offered as trade-in. So sold them and waiting to get fit before ordering. Now hearing from everyone that I might be wasting my money to upgrade. Having to use my old Eye 2 plus no plus and wondering if maybe old school may just be okay after all. Thanks to everyone for taking time to test and give input. Will keep reading until I get a chance to get to the big city to make a decision.
[/quote]

I don't think so. I had the G10's about two years ago and just got a set of G25's recently. They are very different clubs. The G25's are much more conventional in shape versus the boxy G10's. The G25 has a smaller head size, thinner top line, less offset, and have more of a players club feel. It feels like the COG is lower too as I am ale to get the ball in the air easier with the G25. I don't see much comparison at all, to be honest with you. Plus the finish on the G25 looks really cool IMO. I doubt you will be disappointed as I know I am certainly not.

Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

I agree with the majority here....not worth the extra cash to upgrade. They only difference is the cosmetics so if you like the new look then purchase but I would not purchase with the intention of getting better performace. I too have used the G5, G15 and G20 extensively and recently hit the G25 on two seperate occassions inside on a montitor and on the range. Nothing really stood out wih the 25's other than a slightly better look in my opinion.

[quote name='MileHighClub' timestamp='1362509111' post='6552361']
[/quote]

I don't think so. I had the G10's about two years ago and just got a set of G25's recently. They are very different clubs. The G25's are much more conventional in shape versus the boxy G10's. The G25 has a smaller head size, thinner top line, less offset, and have more of a players club feel. It feels like the COG is lower too as I am ale to get the ball in the air easier with the G25. I don't see much comparison at all, to be honest with you. Plus the finish on the G25 looks really cool IMO. I doubt you will be disappointed as I know I am certainly not.
[/quote]Thanks for the thoughts Mile. Looking forward to the fitting and will post later on decision.

[/quote]

[/quote]

+1. I've played G5's, 10's and 15's and the 10's were by far the worst feeling clubs of the the 3. Don't exactly know why, but others have said the same thing. It was Ping's first iron line cast in China. Plus, I wasn't keen on the orange color scheme. The g25's however, are almost a throwback model to the g2's with their thinner soles. and cleaner cavity. The darker finish is sexy too.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1362518445' post='6553401']
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1. I've played G5's, 10's and 15's and the 10's were by far the worst feeling clubs of the the 3. Don't exactly know why, but others have said the same thing. It was Ping's first iron line cast in China. Plus, I wasn't keen on the orange color scheme. The g25's however, are almost a throwback model to the g2's with their thinner soles. and cleaner cavity. The darker finish is sexy too.
[/quote]

My understanding is the G10's were cast in the US. The G10XG's though, were made in China.
I played with G10's for a good year and haven't noticed any difference in feel compared to G20 or G25. Frankly, I'm flabbergasted by your comment. :swoon:

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[/quote]

[/quote][quote name='Flyersby99' timestamp='1362509545' post='6552415']
I agree with the majority here....not worth the extra cash to upgrade. They only difference is the cosmetics so if you like the new look then purchase but I would not purchase with the intention of getting better performace. I too have used the G5, G15 and G20 extensively and recently hit the G25 on two seperate occassions inside on a montitor and on the range. Nothing really stood out wih the 25's other than a slightly better look in my opinion.
[/quote]

All points made on these clubs are valid. The G25's look nothing like the 5's 10's or 15's from above, especially if you are one to really notice the offset. The G25's are a much sleeker looking club, no doubt. But that really just lumps them closer to all the other GI irons from the other OEM's.

In my opinion, having tried them all, you are not going to gain any forgiveness by going the the G25's. A better looking club with the CFS shaft option (which I happen to like over the AWT), yes. To some that may be worth the price of admission. For me, the G15's are the peak of iron forgiveness, and I like the way they look, AND I have them with the CFS shafts so there is no need for me to move to the G25's.

Eye 2's you say? Do you get along with the shafts? If so, why even bother with this new stuff. You already have the full package! If I had a new set of eye 2's with shafts that fit my swing I wouldn't be going anywhere.....

Enjoy all comments, thanks. Biff, do have full set Eye 2 plus, no plus with original shafts (not sure of specs) and they are pretty sweet. Speaking of sweet, Wife got me the G10's several years ago for Christmas. Hard to turn her down you know, and when rep fit me, he redommended white dot (from black) and half inch longer. This was to help my poor swing that resulted in a lot of right shots. And recommedations worked. I know I could send in for changes, but would hate to spend the money and have old clubs and we nearly all like to strut on the first tee with the latest and greatest. lol Thanks to all that post on forum.

30 + year Ping iron player here... Have all the G series. My G15's and my new G25's have the same spec's, shaft, etc. I am going with the G15's for now...will try the G25's again later. All of the G series are great but "for me" the 15's seem to be the best for me... I believe it to be special among the G irons... several pro's have used it; they did not (for the most part) hit the G20's ... perhaps the pro's will step to the G25; will be interesting to see. bob 6 hdcp

[quote name='Robert Brown' timestamp='1362626678' post='6561577']
30 + year Ping iron player here... Have all the G series. My G15's and my new G25's have the same spec's, shaft, etc. I am going with the G15's for now...will try the G25's again later. All of the G series are great but "for me" the 15's seem to be the best for me... I believe it to be special among the G irons... several pro's have used it; they did not (for the most part) hit the G20's ... perhaps the pro's will step to the G25; will be interesting to see. bob 6 hdcp
[/quote]

Interesting....is there a specific reason you like the 15's over the 25's? I have the 15's, but the 25's look so good to me when I look over them. I have hit them side by side and notice no performance difference, but the 25's just [u]look[/u] great.....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1362943781' post='6584015']
[quote name='Robert Brown' timestamp='1362626678' post='6561577']
[/quote]

Interesting....is there a specific reason you like the 15's over the 25's? I have the 15's, but the 25's look so good to me when I look over them. I have hit them side by side and notice no performance difference, but the 25's just [u]look[/u] great.....
[/quote]
Anymore comparisions between 15's and 25's?

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

Yeah, I was able to hit some 25's over the weekend. While I could not really tell a difference performance wise vs. the 15, their appearance, hands down, is better. The soles are noticeably narrower and I really like the darker finish. While the cavity is still a tad busy, it's almost a throwback to the older G2 look. I actually just sold my 15's and went back to some G5's as I felt the performance was comprable and the looks were better (more simple). My goal though is to save some coin over the next year and try to snag a used set of 25's.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread.

I have the G 15's which I love, but recently checked out the G20's and G25's because I like new clubs. A funny thing happened. I liked the CFS shafts (I currently have AWT) and hit the clubs about 10 yards longer, but, I actually hit the G20's much better. Now I am deciding whether to re-shaft the 15's with CFS for $400, or buy the 20's for $500. I feel like buying new clubs just one "generation" above my current is a bit crazy, but spending more money just because the G25's are newer is also not so smart. Really struggling with this one. I certainly would love the extra distance. Any thoughts on this?

For the extra $100 I would go for the 20's

And keep the 15's in case you change your mind. You won't get much for them on a trade-in so you might as well keep them for now and sell them later when you are sure the 20's are keepers.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

[quote name='WCGC72BE9' timestamp='1393776095' post='8777708']

And keep the 15's in case you change your mind. You won't get much for them on a trade-in so you might as well keep them for now and sell them later when you are sure the 20's are keepers.
[/quote]

I agree. For me the G20 + CFS combo gave me 5 more yards vs. the G15 + AWT combo. Unless you can find some cheap pulls on the bay, I'd look into the 20's.

Also, FWIW, the biggest mistake I've made is hastily selling a set of irons before the honeymoon is over with the new ones. I think I've sold and re-purchased the G5's and G15's twice each over the last 5 years.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

[quote name='WCGC72BE9' timestamp='1393776095' post='8777708']

[/quote]

Yep. This is how I'm leaning. I very rarely trade in old clubs as I just think its criminal how little value you get. I'd rather give them away to someone picking up the sport. I will hold onto,them as a back up set.

Now the question is $500 for an extra 5 yards. Every little bit helps on these mega stretched out courses, but not sure it's worth it. I'll probably go back for another fitting next week to try and finalize.