2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Epon AF103 vs. RomaRo Ray HX460 Black

SDR

Hi,

I am currently looking for a new driver. And as I am already playing The Epon AF302, I am looking for a JDM driver.

Unfortunately my clubmaker do not have the club heads as a demo available, as the market for JDM products is very small in Germany so it would be too costly for him.

After a fitting session today, we agreed on a shaft. Regarding the driver, I was thinking first of an Epon driver (AF103), but my clubmaker also suggested the RomaRo Ray HX460 Black, which is also a nice and sweet looking driver.

But, when I tried to find any information about it, I only found an article on TSG. Nothing more.

So can anybody here share his experiences with me? And it would be perfect if someone could even compare it with the Epon AF103.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

SDR

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are top of the line drivers. Both forgiving with overall forgiveness going to the RomaRo.

Feel being subjective it was my opinion the Epon feels a bit softer and is easier to work. I think
the Epon hides its size a bit better as well

If you're looking for a bit more point and shoot, RomaRo. A bit more of a players driver then the
AF-103

Tough call, they are both excellent. I have a AF-103 sitting here. PM me and we might be able
to figure out a way for you demo.

I have played both and te 460HX Black was by far a better head for me. The face is explosive in my opinion and the carry and roll was very good. The Epons have fallen off of late for me and that includes the AF 102 and 103.

the finish on the Romaro is also fantastic ad looks much better to me than the 103.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - Ryoma D1 V-Spec TRPX Fabulous Ni-Ti - Titleist TSR2 Arch-Kams CA-01 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Although it seems that the RomaRo seems to be slightly better, I think I will putt on the trigger for the Epon.

Point is, that the market for JDM in Germany is very small and Epon ist at least more or less known. RomaRo is relatively new to the market here. So this might be an issue when I want to sell the driver.

[quote name='SDR' timestamp='1364115312' post='6676933']
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Although it seems that the RomaRo seems to be slightly better, I think I will putt on the trigger for the Epon.

Point is, that the market for JDM in Germany is very small and Epon ist at least more or less known. RomaRo is relatively new to the market here. So this might be an issue when I want to sell the driver.
[/quote]

To each his own but if you're concerned about re-sale, play non JDM. With JDM, it's perhaps even more important to choose what works as it costs more than USDM. You've made up your mind based on brand perception and re-sale but I think you're really dismissing a hot and potentially better head for you than the 103 which frankly has not had a lot of take up despite being introduced for quite some time. I've tried both in the same shaft and for the, the 460HX out performed the 103 consistently in terms of carry, roll and out right distance. I also found it more forgiving than the 103. Just me of course and as I started, to each his own. Play well.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - Ryoma D1 V-Spec TRPX Fabulous Ni-Ti - Titleist TSR2 Arch-Kams CA-01 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel

Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

[quote name='LionGolfer' timestamp='1364120822' post='6677031']
To each his own but if you're concerned about re-sale, play non JDM.[/quote]
Thanks again.

I think I have not expressed myself properly. I am not in general concerned about re-sale of JDM. Before I got my Epon AF-302 last season, I played Miura Tournament Blades. But here I was able to test the irons.

Regarding the driver I will not be able to test it before and I am only thinking about re-sale in case the driver is not working for me. That's the only reason.

[quote name='SDR' timestamp='1364122682' post='6677059']
[quote name='LionGolfer' timestamp='1364120822' post='6677031']
To each his own but if you're concerned about re-sale, play non JDM.[/quote]
Thanks again.

I think I have not expressed myself properly. I am not in general concerned about re-sale of JDM. Before I got my Epon AF-302 last season, I played Miura Tournament Blades. But here I was able to test the irons.

Regarding the driver I will not be able to test it before and I am only thinking about re-sale in case the driver is not working for me. That's the only reason.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Why don;t you just pick up a used Romaro 460HX Black then? That will reduce your cost risk significantly.

I have one of the RomaRo heads in transit to me now, I have an Attas3 7 TS to put in it when it gets here. Really excited about this driver. Have been getting incredible results with the Covert Tour, but I like to have competition for the bag to make sure and doesn't rest on its laurels and keeps performing incredibly.

That will give me one ultra low spin, low launch combo for mid summer roll and another higher launching combo for carry bombs for soft ground. Our league starts in 2.5 weeks and we just got 7-8 inches of snow last night...carry will be my friend.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1364222995' post='6688065']
I have one of the RomaRo heads in transit to me now, I have an Attas3 7 TS to put in it when it gets here. Really excited about this driver. Have been getting incredible results with the Covert Tour, but I like to have competition for the bag to make sure and doesn't rest on its laurels and keeps performing incredibly.

That will give me one ultra low spin, low launch combo for mid summer roll and another higher launching combo for carry bombs for soft ground. Our league starts in 2.5 weeks and we just got 7-8 inches of snow last night...carry will be my friend.
[/quote]

Tell us how the Romaro is treating you compared to the Covert Tour

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have had the RomaRo 460 HX for about 3 months. Easily the best driver of my life but like with any head, it's all about the shaft. I started with a GD Tour AD MT5 which was a bad fit. Went to a Fuji Fuel 5, much better but still not enough. Then went to a GD Tour AD BB and bingo. So, I have as much in shafts as in head. Alsso have a RomaRo Ray Type R 3 wood with a Tour AD DJ shaft and 3 RomaRo type R hybrids with Tour AD UT shafts. By the way I have Epon AF 503 irons with Tour AD shafts. But, back to the post, the Romaro is great. Long (not the longest I've hit) and very forgiving (hands down most of any I've owned in35 years)