2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

Kiwi2

Jim,

Would you have estimates as to when modules 4 and 5 will be available? Thanks.

My video editor is working on mod 3 Advanced Arm Mechanics now, likely finish early February. Mod 4 is Pivot Mechanics, target date is mid-March. Mod 5 is wrist, right arm angle, forearm rotation and Release mechanics, around May 1.

Thanks. Will there be anything on your recommended release in mod 3, or is that all in mod 5?

Upper arm rotation is part of mod 3 and is also one optional element of Release. Mod 3 starts where the ASI video left off, and covers in depth the many aspects of upper arm motion in the golf swing. Another is the rocking of the shoulder girdle, left side up, and how that affects the upper left arm motion, which is part of what I call the Key Move, another important part of Release.

Thanks. Will there be anything on your recommended release in mod 3, or is that all in mod 5?

Upper arm rotation is part of mod 3 and is also one optional element of Release. Mod 3 starts where the ASI video left off, and covers in depth the many aspects of upper arm motion in the golf swing. Another is the rocking of the shoulder girdle, left side up, and how that affects the upper left arm motion, which is part of what I call the Key Move, another important part of Release.

Looking forward to this one!

Is mod 4 covering how the lower body works with pivot (hip rotation)?

Looking for info on keeping tailbone depth throughout and keeping spine angle in downswing

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Jim

Do you use the same body brace's in putting, as in the full swing?

Concentrating on putting practice indoors at the moment..

Similar bracing, but with some distinct differences. For one, less intensity, since in a putting stroke there is much less force generated so need for a lot of pressure in the braces.

And I prefer 10% or a bit more weight on front leg for better stability.

So are the pint of the videos to start with the first and buy all of them or just buy the ones you think you could benefit from most? At $70 a pop it's I get there is a lot of content but you can see how expensive it can quickly get. Would love to hear which videos folks thought were best and why.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

So are the pint of the videos to start with the first and buy all of them or just buy the ones you think you could benefit from most? At $70 a pop it's I get there is a lot of content but you can see how expensive it can quickly get. Would love to hear which videos folks thought were best and why.

There is no universal answer that fits all golfers, as far as my instruction videos.

Its a mastery of the craft of ballstriking program, from A to Z, or from first grade through PHD level information.

Send me a PM with your basic golfing skill info and your goals, and I will make a recommendation.

As I have said several times already, most mid to high handicap golfers - especially those who frequent forums like wrx who are more on the swing geek end of the spectrum - think they already have the basics down, and most are not even close. So Module One, with four videos of a little over two hours each in length, is vitally important information. Module Two on the ASI is a real eye-opener for pretty much everyone who watches it. The information starts to become more technical and geared to the better player starting with Module 3.

Jim

I was interested to see that your "turning your feet out" without turning the feet in the leg brace is what CrossFit guru Dr Kelly Starrett (becoming a Supple Leopard) calls Screwing your feet in to the ground.

He has some of your other brace positions as well.

I find it cool when things line up like that.

Jim

I was interested to see that your "turning your feet out" without turning the feet in the leg brace is what CrossFit guru Dr Kelly Starrett (becoming a Supple Leopard) calls Screwing your feet in to the ground.

He has some of your other brace positions as well.

I find it cool when things line up like that.

Yes - it is cool to discover other programs that share similar ideas.

I got my "screwing the feet into the ground" many years ago from my training in Asian martial arts. (And yes - for those of you who are longtime members here at golfwrx, long before the infamous Mike Maves thread here that advocated for the same idea, or actually really OVER-ADVOCATED for the concept, ie the usual Magic Move taking a good idea and making it seem like a miracle cure).

I have had several questions recently about what the primary or root cause of the arm swing illusion is all about. There are several actually, but if I had to pick one, it is what I call the Steady Head/Fixed Line of Sight factor.

In normal non-golfing life, we always keep our head/eye gaze pointing in the same direction as our chest/sternum. In the golf swing - for a lot of very essential reasons - you need to keep your head steady while rotating your chest in a spiral shape. So from your own first person perspective - even if I gave you a magic pill to keep your arms working correctly in that V shape up and down in front of your chest - it would "look like" your arms were moving behind your chest to some degree.

One our our drills to de-construct the Illusion is to move your head with your chest (ame rpm speed) while doing a slow motion swing, so that you can "see" the true relationship of your arm "swing" or V shaped motion relative to your chest.

This is like shock therapy for golfers who are new to the Illusion!

I came across this thread the other day. I use to be a decent golfer, previously off 2 in my late teens early 20s, now I struggle off 5 at the age of 36. I have had the exact problem Jim describes for as long as I can remember, i.e. take the club way inside then play catch up for the rest of the swing. I still have good days with it but its very inconsistent and despite trying to fix for years have never been able to. I took the ASI concept to the range and it fixed my back swing on the very first swing. I wasn't expecting to hit it well at all mind you, but I did, particularly with my short irons which had high towering draws. I struggled with the long irons but my driver was also pretty solid. I went and played 12 holes with a mate of mine and I shot 2 under and played solid, only issue was with the long irons. Now I am not naive enough to think this is what life will be like from now on but I am very happy to have some light at the end of the tunnel with regard to fixing my takeaway; means I can focus on other areas of my swing more and not have to come up with a bandaid to cover my bad takeaway. I have attached a link with the pre and post if anyones interested. I am certainly not suggesting my takeaway is now perfect but its clearly better than it was; my arms are still caught behind on the downswing. So thank you to Kiwi for posting this and Jim for being so active (I am 25% thru reading the e-book now). And yes Kiwi I did see your comment about the average IQ improving when a New Zealander moves to Australia...ill let it slide this once.

Pre Change

Post change

https://www.youtube....h?v=OapdAHjnlt8

I came across this thread the other day. I use to be a decent golfer, previously off 2 in my late teens early 20s, now I struggle off 5 at the age of 36. I have had the exact problem Jim describes for as long as I can remember, i.e. take the club way inside then play catch up for the rest of the swing. I still have good days with it but its very inconsistent and despite trying to fix for years have never been able to. I took the ASI concept to the range and it fixed my back swing on the very first swing. I wasn't expecting to hit it well at all mind you, but I did, particularly with my short irons which had high towering draws. I struggled with the long irons but my driver was also pretty solid. I went and played 12 holes with a mate of mine and I shot 2 under and played solid, only issue was with the long irons. Now I am not naive enough to think this is what life will be like from now on but I am very happy to have some light at the end of the tunnel with regard to fixing my takeaway; means I can focus on other areas of my swing more and not have to come up with a bandaid to cover my bad takeaway. I have attached a link with the pre and post if anyones interested. I am certainly not suggesting my takeaway is now perfect but its clearly better than it was; my arms are still caught behind on the downswing. So thank you to Kiwi for posting this and Jim for being so active (I am 25% thru reading the e-book now). And yes Kiwi I did see your comment about the average IQ improving when a New Zealander moves to Australia...ill let it slide this once.

Pre Change

[media=]

[/media]

Post change

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OapdAHjnlt8[/media]

Congrats on your breakthrough! And good to know the ASI concept helped you so much.

Camera angle in your two videos is off, so hard to see exactly how the shaft is tracking. Second looks a bit too much outside the plane, looks like arm pushaway starts first, then the Pivot - a very common result when first working on the ASI concept. Ideal is to have the arm motion and pivot motion match up so shaft tracks back on the plane angle.

I have not talked much about the role of "axis tilt" and the Arm Swing Illusion but here is one way to understand their relationship. What brings the arms down to re-connect to the body? Is it 100% gravity drop? Is it momentum from the Pivot? Is it the arm muscles pulling the arms down? (NO!)

In truth, it is a little bit of gravity drop, and a lot of momentum from Pivot rotation of hips, core and shoulder girdle. But it is also the fact that right lateral side bend or "axis tilt" both from upper lumbar area and mid-thoracic area of the spine MOVES THE ARMS CLOSER TO THE BODY. You can do this drill to prove it to yourself: go to the Top, on the Turned Shoulder Plane with your flat left wrist, and then shift your tailbone to your left a bit while you Tilt Switch from mid-back, ie go from 20 degrees left tilt to 10 degrees right tilt, and blend those two "tilts" with a little un-winding of your hips, core and shoulder girdle, not very much, just a bit. Try to keep your arms/hands/clubs back in their Top of backswing position. Most of you will be stunned when you see the tilts and rotation bring your hands/arms down into a perfect P6 position. The arms cannot stay up there at the Top. The pivot - and remember the tilts are part of the pivot - brings them down automatically. All of this "pull my arms down" to P6, or "pause at the Top and then throw my arms at the ball" or "time my gravity arm drop while I delay my pivot", is just stuff that comes about because of the Arm Swing Illusion controlling what one believes to be possible -and impossible. This is DOING NOTHING with the arms.

This tilt switch is quite a revelation once it actually makes sense , it is amazing to me the effect it has on hand path starting down, you would think that "dropping the right shoulder" would drop the hands down, but they actually do the opposite , the hands move out much more level .

Couple of questions/things to confirm

1. Lack of left side bend in backswing will cause head to move to right as I understand it

1a could a lack of backswing left side bend make tilt switch harder?

2. This move is definitely easier if you elevate your chin alittle at address

3. Body tends to want to rotate also when I first started doing the TS , but the actually move is easier to iscolate and feel if you keep you full backswing turn whilst you do TS

4. TS wants to make the right elbow want to work towards the sternum as a consequence . Is TS designed to bring arms right back down to pec tricep contact or is that over doing it?

5. TS explains why I have found it impossible to maintain the spine angle in DS , years of effort trying to keep the head out and down and the rump back and out were totally ineffective. This makes achieving it easy. Getting that right shoulder nearer to that right hip was always something I had been told was a flaw thy could be overdone by a good player, but you see it in all the pro swings

Now, doing this at full speed, with a ball is a different deal. Feels similar to learning how to ice skate for the first time or change chords on a guitar when you are a beginner

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Yes! Tilt Switch may be the second most influential mechanical swing concept that I teach after the Arm Swing Illusion material. We certainly get a lot of positive feedback from students on this piece of the swing puzzle, and the typical first reaction is kind of a shocked "are you *#*^ing kidding me? THAT is what should happen on Transition?".

1. yes - but not the only cause, a lateral sway also can be a factor.

1.b. yes, but only because you lack enough left tilt to start with - which is essential to a good swing - and so if you tilt switched the correct or model amount, it would in fact be too much.

2.Yes - its shoulder girdle tilt from mid-upper back NOT independent shoulder motion. So some space with the chin is essential.

3. Good observation.

4. Yes - but Not just the Switch but rotary Pivot momentum and even some from right elbow straightening, and lateral tailbone shift as well, all contribute to returning upper arms to the pecs.

5. ANY recommended swing move becomes a flaw if you do in fact do it too much.

Jim,

Do I remember correctly that you don't like the "Faldo Driil" that pre-sets the wrist c0ck? If I'm correct, can you re-state your reasons? Thank you.

No, I use the Faldo drill in my teaching quite often. Every drill though will have it's downsides too it, possibly you are referencing something I wrote in the past about that drills downside?

Yes! Tilt Switch may be the second most influential mechanical swing concept that I teach after the Arm Swing Illusion material. We certainly get a lot of positive feedback from students on this piece of the swing puzzle, and the typical first reaction is kind of a shocked "are you *#*^ing kidding me? THAT is what should happen on Transition?".

1.b. yes, but only because you lack enough left tilt to start with - which is essential to a good swing - and so if you tilt switched the correct or model amount, it would in fact be too much.

2.Yes - its shoulder girdle tilt from mid-upper back NOT independent shoulder motion. So some space with the chin is essential.

3. Good observation.

4. Yes - but Not just the Switch but rotary Pivot momentum and even some from right elbow straightening, and lateral tailbone shift as well, all contribute to returning upper arms to the pecs.

It seems that this tilt switch is hard to see looking dtl when you add rotation and the lower body move. I sent you a new vid where I really felt like I did the switch as I did the hip bump at the same time and alittle responsive rotation , and I can't see the switch- but I'm 99% sure I did it as I felt the same movement and muscle pattern as I did doing the move in isolation

Does it take a skilled eye to see this movement during rotation?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

3. Good observation.

It seems that this tilt switch is hard to see looking dtl when you add rotation and the lower body move. I sent you a new vid where I really felt like I did the switch as I did the hip bump at the same time and alittle responsive rotation , and I can't see the switch- but I'm 99% sure I did it as I felt the same movement and muscle pattern as I did doing the move in isolation

Does it take a skilled eye to see this movement during rotation?

Yes, its why I call it the Tilt Illusion - and it is even more powerful than the ASI!

With the ASI, you can see through it from overhead or on the ground camera viewpoint. There is literally no place you can put a camera where you can see through this Tilt Illusion. But you can very easily prove that it happens empiricially. The rotation that happens at the same time hides the switch.

Not sure if this has been covered in the earlier pages, but how big of a factor is speed of pivot on backswing to the push away move?

At slow training speeds is it more of an active arm powered push away and at full speed is the push away more from momentum?

If so I could see how a slow backswing speed could be a detrimental factor....

Starsail you're on the right track in thinking 'momentum' goes with the blended arm pushaway. If you think of your backswing like a pendulum, at the beginning its ... accelerating...and then the pendulum ball (clubhead, or your hands once you get good at this) gradually slows down due to gravity, stops at the top, starts slowly down *with* gravity and then accelerates behind your pivot. The tilt switch begins during the last part of the deceleration-to-stop at the top.

This is why Jim advocates a little bump at the start of the backswing. If you feel like the club is just following a pendulum swing (instead of manufacturing the movement with your muscles) the arm triangle and hands kind of naturally follow the 'weight' moving away from your turning chest in the first part of the backswing. To get the rhythm of this, hold any club by the butt and let it swing back and forth . . . wherever you are on Planet Earth, you have a metronome. Be in harmonic balance with gravity and the golf swing at least feels great even if every shot isn't perfect.

Not sure if this has been covered in the earlier pages, but how big of a factor is speed of pivot on backswing to the push away move?

At slow training speeds is it more of an active arm powered push away and at full speed is the push away more from momentum?

Starsail you're on the right track in thinking 'momentum' goes with the blended arm pushaway. If you think of your backswing like a pendulum, at the beginning its ... accelerating...and then the pendulum ball (clubhead, or your hands once you get good at this) gradually slows down due to gravity, stops at the top, starts slowly down *with* gravity and then accelerates behind your pivot. The tilt switch begins during the last part of the deceleration-to-stop at the top.

This is why Jim advocates a little bump at the start of the backswing. If you feel like the club is just following a pendulum swing (instead of manufacturing the movement with your muscles) the arm triangle and hands kind of naturally follow the 'weight' moving away from your turning chest in the first part of the backswing. To get the rhythm of this, hold any club by the butt and let it swing back and forth . . . wherever you are on Planet Earth, you have a metronome. Be in harmonic balance with gravity and the golf swing at least feels great even if every shot isn't perfect.

Very interesting , I have yet to experiment with the start up motion , maybe I should give it a try . Is it just a counter clockwise twist of the trunk then reverse it into the takeaway?

Interesting on the TS, so it actually begins just before you reach the top of the swing? This makes some sense to me as I'm starting to feel like the move is a lot easier to feel when it's coupled with the lower body move and the increase in flexion

What is the duration in terms of movement for the tilt switch so I can learn it in slow motion? Is the move completed by p5 ?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Very interesting , I have yet to experiment with the start up motion , maybe I should give it a try . Is it just a counter clockwise twist of the trunk then reverse it into the takeaway?

Interesting on the TS, so it actually begins just before you reach the top of the swing? This makes some sense to me as I'm starting to feel like the move is a lot easier to feel when it's coupled with the lower body move and the increase in flexion

What is the duration in terms of movement for the tilt switch so I can learn it in slow motion? Is the move completed by p5 ?

1. that is one way to do the StartUp, your Core fires quickly to the left and then rebounds and fires to the right. Probably the best option of the three that can work.

2. Transition Stage One begins right before backswing coil is completed but the Switch starts right after the coil is completed.

3. yes, done by P5 or so. not really learned in slow mo, but keep your torso coil at the Top when you first do the learning drill so you can isolate the muscles that do the Switch, mainly QL and oblique abs.

My upcoming Hawaii golf school dates at Ko Olina Golf Club near Honolulu, Hawaii are:

Great Shot! golf swing fundamentals school: March 4-6, April 22-24. Three full days - 9am-5:30pm - of Total Immersion training in the model golf swing, and individual swing flaw correction drills. Optional one day Short Game/Putting schools on March 3 and April 21.

The Ultimate Swing School: six days of Total Immersion "boot camp" designed to quickly and dramatically improve the quality of your golf swing and ballstriking results. Six full days - 9am-6pm - daily with a day off in the middle of the week. February 21-27.

I also have dates for individual and couple Private Custom Golf Schools on Oahu from February 15-March 10 and from April 1-26.

PM me for details, pricing, accommodations, etc or to register. Or call our office at 1-800-898-4563.

More info at www.balancepointgolf.com

Excellent understanding from The Master here . . . and patience with my jabberings, I'm just relating a concept (the rhythm of a pendulum) that helped me get my arm pushaway blend and tilt switch and such all unified so I'm perceiving my 'swing' as a Whole Event, not a group of movements.

Anyway. The caveat about the pendulum concept is that the Bottom of the Pendulum Arc is NOT where the ball is.

It is . . . in front of your Moving Chest! So: Acceleration and momentum cause arm pushaway to say, P3, and after that, arms are DONE. Gravity-based decelerating momentum to the "top"... and the club STOPS *in relation* to the pendulum . . . but it's MOVING because of the Tilt Switch. That's the illusion! The switch MOVES the stop-and-change-direction 'end' of your pendulum to P5 . . .

And this: Because the Bottom of your Pendulum is in front of your chest . . . and your chest is TURNING hard on the forward swing . . . and your chest is turning in FRONT of the ball at impact . . . the point of maximum acceleration (the bottom of your pendulum) is IN FRONT of the ball from a static view.

That's the way it should feel, anyway. Arm drag, hinging, shaft lean etc. move the max-accel point to the right (for righties) of the center of the chest. Yet another illusion I'll bet Jim knows about.

There is NO WAY I could have reached this level of comprehending the golf 'swing' (in my mind, anyway, haha) without what I've learned from Jim....and there's NO WAY you can actually do what I'm talking about without first studying and learning the fundamentals he teaches. I'm annoying as hell to play with now, because I'm literally laughing at how easy golf is, while my partners are 'grinding.' Poor bastards. I told them about Jim. Did they listen?

Excellent understanding from The Master here . . . and patience with my jabberings, I'm just relating a concept (the rhythm of a pendulum) that helped me get my arm pushaway blend and tilt switch and such all unified so I'm perceiving my 'swing' as a Whole Event, not a group of movements.

Anyway. The caveat about the pendulum concept is that the Bottom of the Pendulum Arc is NOT where the ball is.

It is . . . in front of your Moving Chest! So: Acceleration and momentum cause arm pushaway to say, P3, and after that, arms are DONE. Gravity-based decelerating momentum to the "top"... and the club STOPS *in relation* to the pendulum . . . but it's MOVING because of the Tilt Switch. That's the illusion! The switch MOVES the stop-and-change-direction 'end' of your pendulum to P5 . . .

And this: Because the Bottom of your Pendulum is in front of your chest . . . and your chest is TURNING hard on the forward swing . . . and your chest is turning in FRONT of the ball at impact . . . the point of maximum acceleration (the bottom of your pendulum) is IN FRONT of the ball from a static view.

That's the way it should feel, anyway. Arm drag, hinging, shaft lean etc. move the max-accel point to the right (for righties) of the center of the chest. Yet another illusion I'll bet Jim knows about.

There is NO WAY I could have reached this level of comprehending the golf 'swing' (in my mind, anyway, haha) without what I've learned from Jim....and there's NO WAY you can actually do what I'm talking about without first studying and learning the fundamentals he teaches. I'm annoying as hell to play with now, because I'm literally laughing at how easy golf is, while my partners are 'grinding.' Poor bastards. I told them about Jim. Did they listen?

Could you explain your learning experience of tilt switch? Eg time frame , feel of the motion , improvements to your swing/shot quality

I love the position this move gets me in but it's very alien to me and I find it hard to do at full speed

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord