2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

TPC Sawgrass Course Help

Kippy

So I have a golf tournament there next week, it's on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I have a practice round on Thursday(Thanksgiving).

The first 2 days are the valley course and the last day is the Stadium course.

For any of you that have played it is it hard? My dad has played it several times and says a scratch golfer might not even be able to break 80 (I'm a 3 handicap). The course rating is also 76.8 which ties Augusta and Oakmont.

Can any of you give me any tips for either course?

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the Stadium course in July and shot 83. I'm a 2 hcp and just had two days worth of lessons before playing the course, so I was going through some swing changes. I haven't played the Valley course. The Stadium course is definitely hard. I played the first 5 holes and last 3 holes even par. The middle holes ate my lunch. The Bermuda rough was horrendous. I started missing fairways around number 6 and felt like I was hitting shots from a salad bar. The rough wasn't terribly tall, but it was thin and the ball just fell right to the bottom. Very hard to get out of. I'm really no expert on the course, but I would say fairways and greens are the key (when aren't they). Some of the tee shots were a bit tricky. Lots of sand and water, virtually on every shot. If you are hitting the ball well, especially your tee shots, you can shoot a good score. If you are spraying your tee shots, watch out.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

Haven't played the Valley, have heard it's much easier. But if you can drive the ball straight, the Stadium course isn't that tough. I'm a 3 hdcp and shot 79 with a triple on 8.

It's very easy to get intimidated by the shots you'll face, but everything is straightforward and most places give you a spot to miss. Just commit to your lines and know where you can and can't miss. It's a really fun course though. Good luck

Agree with what has been said above. Will you have a fore caddie for the round on the Stadium course? I can tell you when I played, he was worth 3-4 shots throughout the round in helping me with lines from the tee. On certain holes depending on your length, you have to take lines that aren't exactly obvious (#5 as an example where you play it further right over the trap).

When I play a new course I Google Earth it. You can measure yardages and even get a rough idea of slopes around the greens. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of playing a course for the first time. It will also prevent you from making dumb mistakes like hitting a drive into a bunker because it "looks" like you can carry it. You will also be able to figure out lines off the tee and the parts of a hole you want to avoid. Obviously a course is a lot easier the second time around, but researching it with Google Earth might save you some embarrassment and give you some advantage over others in the tournament who are flying blind. Good luck!

[quote name='cubuffs' timestamp='1385157624' post='8191814']
Agree with what has been said above. Will you have a fore caddie for the round on the Stadium course? I can tell you when I played, he was worth 3-4 shots throughout the round in helping me with lines from the tee. On certain holes depending on your length, you have to take lines that aren't exactly obvious (#5 as an example where you play it further right over the trap).
[/quote]
I don't think I will as it is in a tournament. But spectators will hopefully help if I have any :D

[quote name='Kippy' timestamp='1385163650' post='8192530']
[quote name='cubuffs' timestamp='1385157624' post='8191814']
[/quote]
I don't think I will as it is in a tournament. But spectators will hopefully help if I have any :D
[/quote]

What cubuffs said is 100% true. Lots of lines off the tee that aren't obvious. Don't just grab driver and try to blow it down the fairway. The forecaddies were great for that. If they have a yardage book showing distances from the tee box, that would help a lot. You need to be very strategic with your tee shots on most holes. There are a few you can just swing away with the driver, but not many. Getting your tee shot in the fairway would be my number 1 priority. If the rough is up even a little, you'll have a hard time hitting the green from that nasty stuff.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

Haven't played the Valley but played the Stadium twice. As a 2 HC my first round I pulled driver just about everywhere and shot 92. Went back a month later, and outside the par 3's I hit driver on 5 holes and hit 3 wood on everything else. Shot a 79, which I'm really proud of.

So like another poster said, on the Stadium course the Bermuda rough will cost you strokes. Ball goes straight to the bottom, which makes it hard to make a solid strike. If you do get a good strike, the ball just knuckles out of it. That's why I hit three wood all day my second go around; your chances of shooting well are so much better from 170-200 yards out in the fairway than 150 yards out in the rough.

The lines are very intimidating because Pete Dye pinches the fairways at certain yardage a from the tee. Take a look at the course on google earth and take note of the landing areas, which are more often in the 260-285 range than in the 285+ range. Play to these areas, plot your way around, and you'll fair well

[sign here]

I've played the stadium a bunch and while its tough, the hardest part, at least for me, is creating proper angles off the tee to give the best approach. I've shot anywhere from 72 to 82. Make hay on the first 3 holes of each side and weather the middle 3. The last 3 on each side are very tee shot dependant. Missing greens isn't the end of the world but missing on the wrong side is. Have fun and play loose, a lot of people will defeat themselves.

Titleist 917D3 ad-BB 6x
Callaway rogue 15 atmos x
Titleist 818 H2 19 atmos x
Titleist 718 t-mb 4 C-taper stiff+
Titleist 718 ap2 5-pw C-taper stiff+
Vokey Sm6 Raw 50,55,60 Tour V stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Timeless

I have played Oakmont and TPC Sawgrass, the hardest part of TPC was the ball settling down in the rough. Driving was visually difficult, but you will have more room than what it looks like.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix