2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Glade Springs Resort, WV reviews

lov2golf4

I'm trying to get some feedback about the 3 courses at Glade Spings Resort in West Virginia, I've already been to Oglebay last year and it was great but looking for something different next year for a weekend golf trip. Would love if someone could compare the 2 resorts and any suggestions of other places are welcome. I will have anywhere from 4 to 12 golfers and we live in Columbus Ohio and don't want to travel more then 4 hrs since it's only for the weekend. Golf and lodging budget would be anywhere from $300 to $500. I also put a post like this in the Midwest section but seems this section gets more traffic.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 3W, 3 Hybrid
TM Rocketballz Stage 1 4 Hybrid
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana
Titleist Vokey SM5 54 & 60

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played the Stonehaven and Woodhaven courses at Glade Springs, the third course, the Cobb course, is reserved for resort guests and members of the country club. Stonehaven is an enjoyable course though it can get a little boring as even from the championship tees most of the par 4 holes are driver, wedge or driver, short iron. The Woodhaven course is laid out in a way that makes it nearly unplayable.

All of the par threes on Woodhaven will have you hitting wedges from extremely elevated tees into greens that are surrounded by hazard areas. Many of the par fours feature blind tee shots or the tee shots require extremely long forced carries over hazards, the lay up areas on these holes leave long approach shots if you decide to lay up. The 18th hole is a par five where the entire hole plays uphill to a green they is elevated roughly 100 feet above the tee box. After the tee shot any approach shots are blind and it is impossible to go for the green in two as a ball will not hold the green.

Another thing to remember is that Glade Springs Resort is owned by Jim Justice, the same person who owns the Greenbrier. Glade is kind of the younger sibling in that it gets some hand me downs from the Greenbrier. The golf carts came from the Greenbrier after they got new ones as does some of the maintenance equipment. Also, don't plan on walking either of these two courses as the terrain and long rides between holes make it impractical if not impossible.

I know this sounds like a negative review, and I guess it is, but I would hate for you to be disappointed after making the drive. Also, I'm not sure that a $300-$500 budget would get you much more than a room for a night and maybe two rounds of golf if you catch a special running.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't played Woodhaven. I've heard it is pretty hard. I have played Stonehaven and the old Cobb Course. I think Stonehaven is great, hilly, challenging but fair with some really picturesque holes. I didn't find it short at all...at 7200 from the back tees I would be pretty impressed with anyone who could play it driver/wedge or short iron. The pro shop staff is friendly and the restaurant/bar above the pro shop is solid. I would go back to Stonehaven in a heartbeat. The Cobb course is different. Kind of old school...wide fairways, huge greens. I probably wouldn't go just to play the Cobb Course but I had fun on it and its a complete contrast to the Stonehaven (and Woodhaven from what I understand). Not sure what they are charging for packages but I am sure it is a fraction of the Greenbrier prices...

[quote name='Lowemac' timestamp='1387769076' post='8337635']
I've played the Stonehaven and Woodhaven courses at Glade Springs, the third course, the Cobb course, is reserved for resort guests and members of the country club. Stonehaven is an enjoyable course though it can get a little boring as even from the championship tees most of the par 4 holes are driver, wedge or driver, short iron. The Woodhaven course is laid out in a way that makes it nearly unplayable.

All of the par threes on Woodhaven will have you hitting wedges from extremely elevated tees into greens that are surrounded by hazard areas. Many of the par fours feature blind tee shots or the tee shots require extremely long forced carries over hazards, the lay up areas on these holes leave long approach shots if you decide to lay up. The 18th hole is a par five where the entire hole plays uphill to a green they is elevated roughly 100 feet above the tee box. After the tee shot any approach shots are blind and it is impossible to go for the green in two as a ball will not hold the green.

Another thing to remember is that Glade Springs Resort is owned by Jim Justice, the same person who owns the Greenbrier. Glade is kind of the younger sibling in that it gets some hand me downs from the Greenbrier. The golf carts came from the Greenbrier after they got new ones as does some of the maintenance equipment. Also, don't plan on walking either of these two courses as the terrain and long rides between holes make it impractical if not impossible.

I know this sounds like a negative review, and I guess it is, but I would hate for you to be disappointed after making the drive. Also, I'm not sure that a $300-$500 budget would get you much more than a room for a night and maybe two rounds of golf if you catch a special running.
[/quote]

Parkersburg Country Club, Vienna W.Va.
Golf Courses I Have Played:
http://tinyurl.com/lnd3pl2
WITB Link

[quote name='Wilbyman' timestamp='1389476505' post='8442737']
I haven't played Woodhaven. I've heard it is pretty hard. I have played Stonehaven and the old Cobb Course. I think Stonehaven is great, hilly, challenging but fair with some really picturesque holes. I didn't find it short at all...at 7200 from the back tees I would be pretty impressed with anyone who could play it driver/wedge or short iron. The pro shop staff is friendly and the restaurant/bar above the pro shop is solid. I would go back to Stonehaven in a heartbeat. The Cobb course is different. Kind of old school...wide fairways, huge greens. I probably wouldn't go just to play the Cobb Course but I had fun on it and its a complete contrast to the Stonehaven (and Woodhaven from what I understand). Not sure what they are charging for packages but I am sure it is a fraction of the Greenbrier prices...

[quote name='Lowemac' timestamp='1387769076' post='8337635']

[/quote]
[/quote]

The prices aren't bad. I can get 2 nights and up to 3 rounds for $370 or 2 nights and up to 6 rounds for $467. That pricing is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 3W, 3 Hybrid
TM Rocketballz Stage 1 4 Hybrid
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana
Titleist Vokey SM5 54 & 60

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I go to Glade Springs on an annual spring trip, its a group of 30-36 that comes from southern Ontario. Its a great time, I've been for the past 4 years, but the group has been going to Glade Springs for 15yrs.

We rent a few cottages, and make our own lunch and dinners, breakfast is provided at the hotel every morning and is very good. The pro staff is very friendly and helpful.

The 3 courses are all very good, but quite different from each other, they are all kept in very good condition.

Cobb is the oldest course, the flattest and most grouped together. They hold the Monday qualifier for the Greenbrier tourney here every year, mostly because its the only one you can walk. It is the easiest course, but still has some nice design, its not just up and back copy cat holes etc. Its a fair challenge for any player.

Stonehaven course is nicer, much more elevation changes and more spread out. I think its pretty rare that you can be on one hole and see another, it winds its way through the neighborhood. Some very picturesque holes, you can tell a lot of effort went into making the course. My only problem with it is that its not designed for long hitters who play a draw - if you play a fade then there are a ton of tee shots you can take advantage of, but with a draw you run out of fairway. It is quite a bit more challenging then the Cobb because of the elevation, and the bush at the edges are very dense.

Woodhaven is the newest course, it is private. It is the most challenging, has the fastest and most complex greens, more penalty areas in play, most elevation changes etc. It rewards playing smart and hitting your target areas.

So overall, if you just want to swing away and have fun then Cobb is likely the best. Woodhaven is the prettiest and most challenging, and Stonehaven sits in the middle

I've played Cobb and Stonehaven. In my opinion, if you can't get on the Cobb course, don't waste your time. Cobb is definitely old school and really not that difficult, but it's an enjoyable loop. Stonehaven is none of those things, unless you like lots of elevation change and blind tee shots. I have not played Woodhaven, but have been told by multiple people who have played it that it's the worst of the 3.