Playing in a scramble tomorrow

liveagualiveagua Members Posts: 1,240
what distance ball should I play off the tee????
I am playing in a five man (yup should be called a 6 hour) scramble tomorrow for charity that I absolutely love (The Youth Life Learning Center).

What "rock" should I play of the tee???? I will be playing my standard Pro V1x for everything else...but looking for something to hammer off the tee.
Cobra Fly-Z (White/9 degree setting) w/Aldila Phenom NL 60 TX Tipped .75 inches @44.75"
Taylormade M2 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-Di 7x tipped 1.75 inches @42.25"
Taylormade M1 #3 Hybrid w/Project X Black 6.5 tipped .75 inches @41"
Taylormade PSi 4-PW w/Aerotech Steelfiber i110 stiff 1/2" over standard
Renegar RxF 50/54/58 w/Nippon WV 115 1/2" over standard
Scotty Cameron M2 @35 inches with Blue/White Paintfill and a Sunny and 72 cover

Comments

• Ogre41Ogre41 Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭
    The Hex Hot is a long ball. But the longest that I have played is the Noodle. The Ice to be specific. They don't make the Ice anymore, but my local Golf Galaxy has the Vanilla (white) for 13 bucks a dozen. They really fly a long way. Have fun in the scramble and swing hard in case you hit it.
    Cobra Bio Cell Slime 
    Ping Rapture 14 Stiff
    Cobra s2 5 Wood Stiff
    Nike Pro Combo 20 
    Cobra Bio Cell 5-PW Stock Graphite S
    Bio Cell Gapper with a KBS 90 shaft (matches other wedges, isn’t helping things)
    TM ATV 54
    Cally Sureout 58
    Odyssey 2 Ball or Odyssey Versa White #1 Wide
    Kirkland 3 Piece
  • t.bahamat.bahama Members Posts: 261
    Bridgestone [email protected] or Callaway Hex HOT.
  • laseranimallaseranimal Ball Striking Machine Members Posts: 1,163
    Top Flite Freak

this thing is SCARY long
  • GehlyGehly ClubWRX Posts: 1,982 ClubWRX
    I use the FREAK for scramble tee shots...loooooong!
  • JHRJHR Charter Members Posts: 4,347 ✭✭
    I agree with the Freak or Hot, both are total distance rocks, and they both deliver.
  • jcrizzlejcrizzle Members Posts: 108
    Use the Jack Hamm LONG BALL!!!!

POWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
  • alfiealfie Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭
    edited Apr 27, 2008 #8
    What's your swing speed?

Looking at the Feb. '08 Golf Magazine, for a 90 mph ss, top 5, the longest ball was theTaylormade TP Black ('08 release) at 259.1 total yards, followed by the Noodle+, TM TP Red ('08), Titleist NXT Extreme and Noodle+ Lady... I know, it all seems to be very "biased" towards TaylorMade balls. I guess you should take the info. however you wanna look at it.

For me, I get the longest distance off the tee using Titleist NXT Extreme and Precept's Laddie X (my ss is pretty low, though... anywhere between high 70's to mid 80's).
  • rattler917rattler917 Members Posts: 323
    Something inexpensive like a top flite or pennicle that you don't mind going hard after and losing in the woods or water would be my choice, but the golf mag ball article would be a good place to start.
  • alfiealfie Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭
    rattler917 wrote on Apr 27 2008, 11:38 PM:
    Something inexpensive like a top flite or pennicle that you don't mind going hard after and losing in the woods or water would be my choice, but the golf mag ball article would be a good place to start.

Good point stated above by rattler917... Thus, the cheapest balls with the best distance is Precept's Laddie X. You get 24 balls for $19.99 + tax. Can't beat that!
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    I have a scramble on Friday -- the FREAK sounds like a good name -- does it deliver?
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • abesarmyabesarmy Members Posts: 124
    Freak! Freak! Freak
  • valmariovalmario Members Posts: 824 ✭✭
    i use the Burner... its pretty **** long, havent tried the freak, but have heard thats it is indeed freaky long
    G400 Max 9*
    RBZ Stage 2 - 14.5*
    Ping G25 20*
    PXG 0311 5-P
    Nike Engage 50/54
    PM Grind - 60
    TEI3 Newport 2 or EXO 7S or PXG Mustang
  • IanIan Members Posts: 450
    Yesterday I had a long drive contest with a competitive friend in our foursome. He is 3" taller and 30lbs. heavier but he likes to see me swing out of my boots (I make Daly's overswing look normal) and we bet .25 cents on each of 8 holes.

I used a Pinnacle Gold distance until I lost it after 4 holes. Great distance and good feel...I was down 1-3.

Then I pulled out my last Titleist Extreme and won 3-1 on the back nine. Two of those were toe shots and they still got out there 260.

Next, I'm trying the Freak and retire my old faithfull 983K for the LV4!!!! 300 here I come!!!!!
  • RyanTitliestRyanTitliest Members Posts: 2
    Ian, I have no idea who makes an lv4? Cobra makes an l4v (limit 4 variables) is this what u ment? If so wich one do u have? the X, F or M?
  • sirvinimsirvinim Members Posts: 208 ✭✭
    liveagua wrote on Apr 27 2008, 09:36 PM:
    I am playing in a five man (yup should be called a 6 hour) scramble tomorrow for charity that I absolutely love (The Youth Life Learning Center).

What "rock" should I play of the tee???? I will be playing my standard Pro V1x for everything else...but looking for something to hammer off the tee.

What ball did you use and how did it go?
    Taylormade RBZ Tour Driver
    Taylormade SLDR 15 degree 3W
    Taylormade SLDR 18 degree 5W
    Mizuno MP-H5 21 degree 3 iron
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
    Cleveland CG12 54 degree
    Cleveland CG12 58 degree