Help me find the right ball. Need straight off the tee.

jesseasi

I am a 12-14 handicap.

I hit my 8 iron 155 yards, driver 250-275 (occasional 300 yard bomb). Swing speed with my driver is 99-102 mph. (Currently have TaylorMade SuperQuad TP and Callaway FT-5 w/ Epic shaft)

When I look at my score card - what kills me are penalties off the tee box. I average about 3-4 penatly strokes per round. If I could hit more drives straight and keep them in play I think I could easily lower my handicap by 2 stokes.

I want a ball that goes straight off the tee. I am not so worried about holding greens or spinning my ball back. Most of my approach shots go very high and pretty much fall straight down and land softly. I also use Fourteen wedges (Japanese Brand) that spin the heck out of balls and eat them up (litterally).

I normally played ProV1's but lately I have found to be more consistant with Bridgestone B330 or Taylormade TP Black.

Price is not an issue.

Any ideas? Need more information - let me know.

Thanks everyone! These forums have been a wealth of information.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stay with your current ball if you are comfortable putting and chipping with it. If you are getting 3-4 penalty strokes a round with driver, start hitting your 3 wood off the tees until you get your swing grooved with the driver. You will most likely see your handi drop more going this route than a ball change.

I would stay with your current ball if you are comfortable putting and chipping with it. If you are getting 3-4 penalty strokes a round with driver, start hitting your 3 wood off the tees until you get your swing grooved with the driver. You will most likely see your handi drop more going this route than a ball change.

I am going that route too. Just ordered a new Tour Edge Exotic XCG 3 wood that I plan on using more off the tee. My misses are not horrible - my home course is one that penalizes you any time you miss the fairway. There isn't another fairway over that you can hit too.

So I was just thinking of something that did not penalize me as much off the tee box if I put a little too much draw or cut on ball.

TaylorMade 2007 TP Black or 2008 TP Red LDP are good choices as mentioned above.

some other urethane balls to consider:

Srixon Z-URS

Nike One Black

Titleist ProV1-x

some non-urethane balls to consider:

TaylorMade Burner TP

Maxfli Tour Fire

Titleist NXT Tour

Titleist GranZ

Callaway HX-Hot

Srixon Trispeed

Bridgestone e6+

the GranZ, HX-Hot, Trispeed, and e6+ definitely won't spin as much as any of the other balls i listed. of course, they don't have the same greenside control as the other balls either. they're still 3-piece balls, though, so they have better greenside manners than most 2-piece balls.

I am going that route too. Just ordered a new Tour Edge Exotic XCG 3 wood that I plan on using more off the tee. My misses are not horrible - my home course is one that penalizes you any time you miss the fairway. There isn't another fairway over that you can hit too.

So I was just thinking of something that did not penalize me as much off the tee box if I put a little too much draw or cut on ball.

I am not very good and was out of golf for a decade and just getting back in. I can par some holes but lots of single bogeys for now. I still trying to groove my driver swing but have also tried to find the "straight" ball that is decent off the irons, wedges and putters. Like the others have said - work on your swing & takes some lessons. The Tour Edge Exotic stuff is very good.

I have tried Pinnacle Exceptions & Pinnacle Gold Long, Wilson Straight Smart Cores, and Top Flite Straight D2. All inexpensive balls.

I also have tried balls I have found in the woods like Noodles, Titleist (all types even Pro Vs), Precept Laddie X, various Nikes & Callways. You may want to try the Laddie X which are $19.99 for 2 dozen. One fellow posting here said it is a good "straight" choice. I hit it twice and liked it. Balls I want to test:Go Straight (orange box made by Srixon but does not say Srixon on the box). They are $14.99 for 16. A guy I played with liked them.

The one I like the most so far is the Top Flite D2 Straight. Top Flite has improved a lot. The Gamer is a very good ball. The D2 is more solid off the driver where even Titleists for me are light and soft. Better players posting here will say "solid" feels like a rock to them. The short game and putting take a little getting used to with the D2 but it is pretty good. My putting is the best part of my game. Titleists, Pinnacle Exceptions, Wilson Smartcore on the putting green are excellent for me. The D2 takes a little more work.

The new Precept IQ 180 and Pinnacle Platinum might be worth a look too. The Platinum claims to be another "straight" ball. Remember that Pinnacle and Titleist are owned by the same company and the Pin Plat is one of their best balls. I have not tried the Nike Power Straight. I would like to try all three of these balls as well.

http://www.pinnaclegolf.com/balls/details.asp?id=14

Most of the lower cost balls for higher handicappers are sold as "straight" balls. A low handicapper Titleist guy will not buy balls with "Straight" in their name. This is why Srixon does not even put their name of their Go Straight balls.

Kinda off the topic of golf balls but how long is your driver? I recently cut my driver down from 46 to 45.25 and my control has improved greatly. I havent seen any loss of distance either. Some guys on here play their drivers as short as 44.5. If your driver isnt already short itssomething I think you should definitely consider. It sounds like you hit the ball far enough, and you probably wont lose any distance anyway.

Something to consider.

jess,

If price is no issue, stick with the Pro V. IMO, it is the best low spin (off the driver) ball out there. You're plenty long enough, so consider that Tour Edge 3 wood off most tees and you'll probably reduce those OB shots right off the bat. Another option is the Tour Edge CB Hybrid 16 degree again plenty long enough off the tee for your ss and a great feeling club.

Good luck, with the continued improvement. I'm about the same HC as you maybe two strokes higher, but my problem is missing too many greens. I'm not good enough with the irons from 130 and in, to consistently be in the low 80's to high 70's. I solved the problem off the tee by going to the Taylor Made Burner driver and Pro V' ball (and occassinaly my 16 degree hybrid) I still hve the occassional bad day off the tee, but for the most part my penalty strokes off the tee have disappeard. I'm not advocating the Burner, honestly I think all the new 07 and 08 drivers are pretty equal, I think it's more about making a controlled in tempo swing.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Kinda off the topic of golf balls but how long is your driver? I recently cut my driver down from 46 to 45.25 and my control has improved greatly. I havent seen any loss of distance either. Some guys on here play their drivers as short as 44.5. If your driver isnt already short itssomething I think you should definitely consider. It sounds like you hit the ball far enough, and you probably wont lose any distance anyway.

Something to consider.

Good suggestion. I was going to mention that too. See club guru Frank Thomas web site franklygolf.com. He is the man. He says most drivers are 45" and players should get it cut down to 44". He says you get a you get a lot more control. 43.5" is okay too unless you are tall.

Frank Thomas also suggests (less strongly) that a slightly higher loft would give you more control or easier to hit with 10.5 being a minimum. He mentioned 11 or 12 deg lofts.

It is a shame that it is not easier to test golf balls. It really is trial and error on the course unless you live on a few acres with a big field.

The responses has been fantastic! I realize my problem with my driver. I get caught up in trying to crush it 300 yard and out driving everyone in my playing group. In fact I have taken my driver completely out of my bag a few times to force myself to play "smarter." I have have cut down my drivers in the past and agree it adds a ton more control. It is giving up that extra 2 yards that prevents me from doing it again. I know it is insane.

I have a huge golf weekend coming up in two weeks - 10 rounds in 4 days with a bunch of buddies out in Palm Springs. We do a golf marathon every year and I swear the month before all of us go out and drop a least a grand on new equipment, new shoes, new everything.

I picked up a Tour Burner TP 3 wood 2 weeks ago and this morning said screw it and ordered the Tour Exotic XCG 3W and their 3 Utility based solely on what people have said here in the forums.

The next logical step for me was to examine the golf ball I was playing. I ordered the Taylor-made TP Reds today and I have plenty of ProV1's.

Thanks everyone!

AHHH, nothing like a golf trip with the boys to get the juices going. I'm envious as well. Sounds like a great time. And stocking up on new Taylor Made and Tour Edge product isn't too shabby either. Enjoy!!!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

If you need straight off the tee then I would go with the e6+. I can't seem to not hit this ball straight. Problem is the lack of spin around the green as mentioned above. If Bridgestone would give the e6 the spin of the e5 I would be in heaven. Yes, I like to have my cake and eat it too.

Titleist TS4 8.5 - Accra FX 2.0 M5 360
Titleist TS3 - 15 degree - Accra FX 2.0 M5 370
Titleist TS2 17 hybrid - Even Flow White 6.5
Ping S55 3-W Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue
Ping Glide 54 & 60 - Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue 
Ping 2021 Anser 4

46 inch shaft. I too, have been spraying the ball of late. Tried an R7 a few rounds; same thing. Gave it to a playing buddy and ordered a G10 minus 1.75 inches - 10.5* V2 high launch. Magic! Actually launches low. Not even any more apprehension about going after it. I really think these OEM shafts are way too long for most of us. Just do some research on which end(s) to cut. Swing weight may change a bit.

46 inch shaft. I too, have been spraying the ball of late. Tried an R7 a few rounds; same thing. Gave it to a playing buddy and ordered a G10 minus 1.75 inches - 10.5* V2 high launch. Magic! Actually launches low. Not even any more apprehension about going after it. I really think these OEM shafts are way too long for most of us. Just do some research on which end(s) to cut. Swing weight may change a bit.

You friend is 1.75" off of what? Most stock shafts are 45". So he is at 43.5"? 46" is long ball driver guys length but hard to control.

Frank Thomas suggests 44" and maybe even 43.5".