'16 M2 vs M4 Fairway Wood and getting fit for best shaft

MCGolfTMMCGolfTM Members Posts: 586 ✭✭
Looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience with the '16 M2 3HL wood vs the M4 3HL wood. I played this entire season with the new M4 3HL fairway and noticed that it did not feel as consistent to me as my '16 M2 3HL. The face felt a bit hotter on the M2 in previous years and the flight overall was very different. The shaft I used in the M2 last year was a 75g Kuro Kage Silver TiNi, and I am using a Fuji Pro 73 in the M4 fairway. Wondering if the difference I am seeing is head related and the '16 M2 was just a great fairway head, or if the shaft is causing me to notice the change? I am getting a decent carry distance with the M4, but I just keep going back to the M2 being my "automatic" club. Anyone notice anything similar?

Also for getting fit for a bonded fairway wood, it doesn't seem there is an easy way to get the shaft fit. There are not many combinations at the local show, and if it were not bonded I could mix and match for the fitting with ease. Any other ways to get to test different shafts in an M4 fairway to see if the shaft change is warranted?
TM M3 460 9.5* Fujikura Pro73
TM '16 M2 3HL Fujikura Pro73
TM P790 UDI 17* PX HZRDUS Black 85
TM P790 4-9 DG 105
TM P770 PW KBS FLT 
TM Milled Grind 50/54 KBS 610
TM Spider Tour Black
TM TP5x

Comments

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,059 ClubWRX
    Dont know about the M4 but I am gaming the '16 M2 15* regular head and while I hate to be a distance chaser I can not help it with this club. It is a bomber of a 3w for me. I played the G400 3w for a minute and its stupid easy to hit but the M2 has to be at least 10 yards longer on carry for me and thats a big advantage for me on a lot of holes. I dont know what it is about that club but its a rocket launcher. If you find you are more comfortable with it, why not stick with it? I popped a 66g Proforce V2 in mine I had left over from a short driver... tipped it and installed it and it's been fantastic. I think it's just a great FW.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* Tensei orange CK 60
    Taylormade M2 2016 16.5* Matrix Tour Proto v-1
    Titleist 915hd 20.5* Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT
    Titleist SM5 50/56/60
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV/Bridgestone BXS
  • mmarlermmarler Members, Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,192 ✭✭
    Bought the M4 HL with one of my most favorite shafts the Siler Kuro Kage. Could not get along with it at all and sold it very quickly. I just could not get over the head shape of the M4.
    Taylormade M4 9.5 GD Tour AD DI 6x
    Taylormade SLDR 15* GD Tour AD DI 7s
    TaylorMade SLDR Hybrid 19* Tour AD Di 85 Stiff 
    Titleist 731PM (black nitride) 4-pw KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Black 54* 58* KBS Tour
    Bettinardi Baby Bee 1st Run
  • MCGolfTMMCGolfTM Members Posts: 586 ✭✭
    Nixhex524 wrote:

Dont know about the M4 but I am gaming the '16 M2 15* regular head and while I hate to be a distance chaser I can not help it with this club. It is a bomber of a 3w for me. I played the G400 3w for a minute and its stupid easy to hit but the M2 has to be at least 10 yards longer on carry for me and thats a big advantage for me on a lot of holes. I dont know what it is about that club but its a rocket launcher. If you find you are more comfortable with it, why not stick with it? I popped a 66g Proforce V2 in mine I had left over from a short driver... tipped it and installed it and it's been fantastic. I think it's just a great FW.

I am currently looking for another ‘16 M2 3HL. Hard to find one in great shape these days. You’re right tho, they are absolute bombers.
    TM M3 460 9.5* Fujikura Pro73
    TM '16 M2 3HL Fujikura Pro73
    TM P790 UDI 17* PX HZRDUS Black 85
    TM P790 4-9 DG 105
    TM P770 PW KBS FLT 
    TM Milled Grind 50/54 KBS 610
    TM Spider Tour Black
    TM TP5x
  • Duffer222Duffer222 Members Posts: 378 ✭✭
    MCGolfTM wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

I am currently looking for another ‘16 M2 3HL. Hard to find one in great shape these days. You’re right tho, they are absolute bombers.

I’d been looking for awhile after reading how great the ‘16 M2 HL is and happened to get one that’s a tour issue head, looks brand new, with an actual loft of 16.5. Trying to figure out how much hotmelt to have added and will hopefully have a great fairway when it’s all said and done. Anyone else hotmelted theirs, and if so, how many grams did you use?
    Driver - Cobra F9 10.5 w/ Speeder 661 EVO III
    Fairway - Cobra F9 14.5 w/ Atmos TS 7s blue
    Fairway - Callaway XR Steelhead 5 w/ Atmos TS 7s red
    Hybrid - Mizuno MP CLK-H (Japan only) 24* - TENSEI CK Pro Blue 80h
    Irons - Yamaha ‘15 RMX CB Tour - 5-P w/ Mitsubishi OT 100’s
    Wedge - Titleist Vokey WedgeWorks 54° w/ Mitsubishi OT 100
    Wedge - Titleist Vokey WedgeWorks 60° w/ Mitsubishi OT 100
    Putter - Odyssey EXO 7s 34”
    Ball - Callaway ERC / TaylorMade TP5

Full time walker w/ my SM 3.5 LS on my back
  • PlayfromtheBrainPlayfromtheBrain Members Posts: 185 ✭✭
    edited Dec 29, 2018 #6
    I found a Diamana BF70 on BST and had it put into a '16 M2 3HL that I got from ksouth9 on eBay and it has been the most incredible combo I have ever used. Inspired by a combo used by Shubhankar Sharma. Not sure if it's the head or shaft (or both) but on top of feeling incredible, it goes straight and far EVERY TIME.

I'm sure the M4 is fine but not worth the extra money when people are still raving about the '16 line.