Iron shaft extension

collje26 ·  
collje26collje26 Members  717WRX Points: 110Handicap: zeroPosts: 717 Golden Tee

Looking for everyone's thoughts and insights!

I recently had a set of callaway apex raw mb's built. I was regripping them and noticed that the pitching wedge had an extension in it. I contacted my builder and he stated he would redo it for no charge. My question is will the 1/2 extension affect playability at all? I'd rather not go a couple days without the club if it's not going to affect anything.

Thanks guys!

Posted:
Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Hzrdus Hulk 70tx
Ping G410 LST 14.5 Atmos black 8tx
Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
Ping i500 3/4 PX LZ 6.5
Ping Blueprint 5-P PX LZ 6.5
Ping Glide Forged 54/60 Tour Issue S400
Ping TR1966 Anser WRX
-Prov1x

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers  24803WRX Points: 1,480Posts: 24,803 Titanium Tees

No, a gold quality and well installed 1/2" extension will not affect play-ability much at all. Only really adds a couple of grams to the static weight (depending on the type of extension used) - generally not enough notice. And no real impact on the stiffness/feel of the shaft. Keep in mind, it sounds to me like you didn't have clue there was an extension in there before you had the grips changed.

There are some low quality plastic extensions that I wouldn't want to have in any of my clubs but most of the steel or graphite extensions are pretty good.

Only other real consequence is that it can effect the resale value of the clubs/shafts.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • collje26collje26 Members  717WRX Points: 110Handicap: zeroPosts: 717 Golden Tee

On -, @Stuart_G said:

No, a gold quality and well installed 1/2" extension will not affect play-ability much at all. Only really adds a couple of grams to the static weight (depending on the type of extension used) - generally not enough notice. And no real impact on the stiffness/feel of the shaft. Keep in mind, it sounds to me like you didn't have clue there was an extension in there before you had the grips changed.

There are some low quality plastic extensions that I wouldn't want to have in any of my clubs but most of the steel or graphite extensions are pretty good.

Only other real consequence is that it can effect the resale value of the clubs/shafts.

I did not have a clue it was there until I regripped them so I was a bit heated. It is a steel extension that looks like it's pretty well done.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Hzrdus Hulk 70tx
    Ping G410 LST 14.5 Atmos black 8tx
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    Ping i500 3/4 PX LZ 6.5
    Ping Blueprint 5-P PX LZ 6.5
    Ping Glide Forged 54/60 Tour Issue S400
    Ping TR1966 Anser WRX
    -Prov1x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.