GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Revitalizing / Maintaining Goretex rain gear?

cristphoto ·  
cristphotocristphoto Members  4015WRX Points: 401Handicap: 7Posts: 4,015 Titanium Tees

I have several Zero Restriction Goretex rain suits that I would like to maintain properly. Yesterday I went and purchased Nikwax Tech Wash wash-in cleaner and Nikwax TX Direct Wash-in DWR.  I know you wash first and then apply the DWR. My question is how many times can you wash Goretex gear before you have to re-apply the DWR?  I went online to search and most of the comments are based on camping use and sometimes even contradict each other. I've had the rain suits about 5 years and in the past would wash them about three times a year with mild liquid detergent (Tide Free and Gentle) and use Nikwax spray-on DWR once a year.  I've always stayed dry in them and honestly I tend to wear the jackets more as windbreakers then actually play during a rain.  The rain pants and hat are only used during a rain. Thanks for any helpful comments. 

Posted:

Comments

• larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11599WRX Points: 486Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,599 Titanium Tees

I think you're going to have to test this yourself. I use CampDry (same kind of product you have) and I'd say every 4-5 times I will reapply, just on the shoulders. I only wear this one jacket when it's actually raining, however, so really it's just once a year I reapply the stuff.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  4015WRX Points: 401Handicap: 7Posts: 4,015 Titanium Tees

So you’re doing about the same as what I’ve been doing. It seems to work as water really jumps up from the material. I was mainly concerned I was overdoing it.

Posted:
  • erichakeerichake Members  74WRX Points: 93Posts: 74 Bunkers

On -, @cristphoto said:

I have several Zero Restriction Goretex rain suits that I would like to maintain properly. Yesterday I went and purchased Nikwax Tech Wash wash-in cleaner and Nikwax TX Direct Wash-in DWR.  I know you wash first and then apply the DWR. My question is how many times can you wash Goretex gear before you have to re-apply the DWR?  I went online to search and most of the comments are based on camping use and sometimes even contradict each other. I've had the rain suits about 5 years and in the past would wash them about three times a year with mild liquid detergent (Tide Free and Gentle) and use Nikwax spray-on DWR once a year.  I've always stayed dry in them and honestly I tend to wear the jackets more as windbreakers then actually play during a rain.  The rain pants and hat are only used during a rain. Thanks for any helpful comments. 

Nikwax TX Direct.

• Restores DWR water-repellency and revives breathability of all waterproof garments
    • For use on all waterproof outerwear, such as rain and ski jackets, and synthetic sleeping bags
    • Spray-on application
    • Recommended for technical clothing, synthetic sleeping bags, rain and ski jackets, GORE-TEX, Patagonia, North face, Columbia, and Arc'teryx
    • Water based, biodegradable, and contains no PFCs, VOCs, optical brighteners, or added scent
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.