Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Revitalizing / Maintaining Goretex rain gear?

cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have several Zero Restriction Goretex rain suits that I would like to maintain properly. Yesterday I went and purchased Nikwax Tech Wash wash-in cleaner and Nikwax TX Direct Wash-in DWR.  I know you wash first and then apply the DWR. My question is how many times can you wash Goretex gear before you have to re-apply the DWR?  I went online to search and most of the comments are based on camping use and sometimes even contradict each other. I've had the rain suits about 5 years and in the past would wash them about three times a year with mild liquid detergent (Tide Free and Gentle) and use Nikwax spray-on DWR once a year.  I've always stayed dry in them and honestly I tend to wear the jackets more as windbreakers then actually play during a rain.  The rain pants and hat are only used during a rain. Thanks for any helpful comments. 

Comments

• larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think you're going to have to test this yourself. I use CampDry (same kind of product you have) and I'd say every 4-5 times I will reapply, just on the shoulders. I only wear this one jacket when it's actually raining, however, so really it's just once a year I reapply the stuff.

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So you’re doing about the same as what I’ve been doing. It seems to work as water really jumps up from the material. I was mainly concerned I was overdoing it.

• erichakeerichake Members Posts: 58 ✭✭

@cristphoto said:
    I have several Zero Restriction Goretex rain suits that I would like to maintain properly. Yesterday I went and purchased Nikwax Tech Wash wash-in cleaner and Nikwax TX Direct Wash-in DWR.  I know you wash first and then apply the DWR. My question is how many times can you wash Goretex gear before you have to re-apply the DWR?  I went online to search and most of the comments are based on camping use and sometimes even contradict each other. I've had the rain suits about 5 years and in the past would wash them about three times a year with mild liquid detergent (Tide Free and Gentle) and use Nikwax spray-on DWR once a year.  I've always stayed dry in them and honestly I tend to wear the jackets more as windbreakers then actually play during a rain.  The rain pants and hat are only used during a rain. Thanks for any helpful comments. 

Nikwax TX Direct.

• Restores DWR water-repellency and revives breathability of all waterproof garments
    • For use on all waterproof outerwear, such as rain and ski jackets, and synthetic sleeping bags
    • Spray-on application
    • Recommended for technical clothing, synthetic sleeping bags, rain and ski jackets, GORE-TEX, Patagonia, North face, Columbia, and Arc'teryx
    • Water based, biodegradable, and contains no PFCs, VOCs, optical brighteners, or added scent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file