GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Sea Pines

mrward5 ·  
mrward5mrward5 Members  14WRX Points: 9Posts: 14 Bunkers

I'm heading to Sea Pines with the Mrs. next week and going to play Atlantic Dunes. Any tips for a first time visitor? Also, any other HHI recs are welcome.

Posted:

Comments

• Drwoods2017Drwoods2017 Members  199WRX Points: 145Handicap: 5Posts: 199 Fairways

I'm not sure what the restrictions are but we love Skull Creek Boathouse for dinner. Great views of the sound and great food. Make sure you get there early to hit range balls. They have a great practice area. Harbour Town lighthouse is always a nice visit but if you go up be prepared to sweat because there's no A/C in it. Besides that just enjoy the Island. We love Hilton Head. You'll want to go back and play Heron Point and Harbour Town for sure.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bsavy83bsavy83 Members  10WRX Points: 10Posts: 10 Bunkers

I'm a local on HHI but I haven't played Atlantic Dunes since the redesign (bumped into Davis Love at Walgreens though when he was here for it!). If you're looking for other great golf in the area I really like the Arthur Hills course in Palmetto Dunes as well as the Robert Trent Jones course in Palmetto Dunes. If you go off Island Old South Golf Links is fun with some great views mixed in at a pretty affordable price. Golfnow has discounts there. I've been avoiding restaurant dine in because of covid but most are doing great takeout. One Hot Mammas is great BBQ. Frankie Bones is fantastic (try the schnitzel -- funny as it sounds it's fricking amazing). The poster above mentioned the Boathouse, which is good but long lines. If you're okay with the outdoor dining that one is fun, as is Dockside (next door to boathouse). Fishcamp is a newer restaurant with great sea food and also outdoor dining. For general ambiance the Sea Pines Beach club has a really nice outdoor patio right on the ocean. Hard to beat that view.

Have fun and safe travels!

Posted:
  • kftgolferkftgolfer New JerseyMembers  643WRX Points: 90Posts: 643 Golden Tee

I am going to be in Hilton Head next week and will be playing 2-3 rounds. Anyone know if the course conditions at Harbour Town, Atlantic Dunes, Palmetto Dunes, Heron Point are all still good?

Any of them aerated?

Posted:
  • Drwoods2017Drwoods2017 Members  199WRX Points: 145Handicap: 5Posts: 199 Fairways

I know they punched all the sea pines courses the end of May/beginning of June. Those courses are always in great shape though.

Posted:
  • HackerD  HackerD Student of the game Members  3239WRX Points: 191Posts: 3,239 Titanium Tees

Been to HHI many times, usually extended family trips of 5-20 people. Many family dinners at Truffles Cafe which is right in Sea Pines; great place. Giuseppi’s Pizza also great. Atlantic Dunes was the Ocean course before the renovation; I liked the original but haven’t played the new course. I’m guessing I’d like it. I agree RTJ and Hills are good courses. I love Harbourtown though it’s pricey.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5°
    Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
    Cally X2 Hot 3H
    Ping Crossover 3-4H
    Ping G410 5-UW
    Cally MD4 56.10
    SC Studio Select Newport 2
  • Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members  240WRX Points: 155Handicap: 10Posts: 240 Fairways

Dockside has quickly become my favorite restaurant on the island. One Hot Mammas is on my short list as must visit as well. Our place is near Coliginy so I enjoy going to Sandbar as well.

As far as golf I enjoy the experience at Atlantic/Heron more than Harbour Town. Not that I don't love HT but the practice facilities are better at the Plantation Golf course and the clubhouse is incredible. The golf courses are incredibly well manicured. HT you're paying extra for playing where the tour plays.

Besides all the other courses previously mentioned Hilton Head National is a go to for me.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members  240WRX Points: 155Handicap: 10Posts: 240 Fairways

I think DL3 did a great job. There's 4-5 holes that are completely changed. Significant changes have been made to many others. Even the ones that aren't significantly different seem to have been decorated to the Dunes theme.

Posted:
  • mrward5mrward5 Members  14WRX Points: 9Posts: 14 Bunkers

It was a blast, well worth the money and great practice facilities as mentioned. We stayed at Inn so walked around some holes at HT but Dunes was in great shape. Greens a touch slow after being punched about 2 weeks back but rolled great. Definitely some memorable holes uncomfortable tee shots and well placed bunkering and water. It’s a great course with a few redundant holes HT had just been punched and there was some bunkering work being done on HP but was told both would be in better shape in a couple weeks

Great clubhouse and experience all around. Service was top notch. Love the sea pines area, lots of great food! We will be back.

Posted:
  • ImpImp Fueled Members  6273WRX Points: 312Handicap: 12.6Posts: 6,273 Titanium Tees

Lots of discussion in the "South Carolina" sub forum. Give that a look too.

Posted:
    Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*
  • ImpImp Fueled Members  6273WRX Points: 312Handicap: 12.6Posts: 6,273 Titanium Tees

Pizza: Local Pie Wood fired, Fat Babys (Closed for the summer, back on Labor Day weekend) are excellent choices too. We're there every October for a couple weeks. :)

--kC

Posted:
    Callaway Fusion 9* / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.