Length of Putter

Chris5573

The other day I was in an Edwin Watts store and they were doing some kind of putter fitting session free for the customers. I tried it out and I was told, among other things, that my putter is way too long for me. My putter is 35", and the guy told me that most people should use a 33 incher. Durring my session, most of my misses were to the right...he said that was because my eyes were not directly over the ball, (putter too long), and when you set up like this, it looks like you are set up to the hole but you are not. I have been reading articles online about this, and they seem to say pretty much the same thing.

What lenght putter do you guys play? And, if 35" is too long for most players, why are they usually sold ranging from 34"-36"?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I bought my Odyssey 2-ball, I found a great deal online for a 34" putter. I was thinking to myself, "wow, that seems pretty short, but let's try it out." I got it and LOVE it. It really has made a difference for me. I feel like I can see the line better at address and it forces me to stand more on top of the ball. This is great b/c my biggest problem with my golf game is getting a little lazy with the fundamentals so anything that makes me follow the fundamentals works well for me.

How tall are you? Because I'm sure that might make a difference. I'm 5'8.5"...for your own reference.

As for being sold long, it is probably b/c a putter is much easier to be cut shorter. You can't add length to it later. I'm sure people around here know technicalities better than I do, but I'm assuming the weight distribution isn't thrown off by a putter being shortened as it would for any of the full length swing clubs in your bag.

i'm 6ft 2ins and have cut down my 2 ball and my futura phantom to 34in and they both are 100% better for me

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

i'm 6ft 2ins and have cut down my 2 ball and my futura phantom to 34in and they both are 100% better for me

What makes it so much better for you at 34"...getting your eyes directly over the ball, or letting your arms hang without having to bend your elbows? Just curious what you think, these are things that I am hoping will happen if I cut mine down.

5' 8" and I use a 31" putter.....and I choke down about an inch so it actually plays around 30". I've always used a shorter putter myself. Fits my stance and the way my arms hang. The one drawback to using a short putter is it's hard to find a new one or practice with a new one b/c they are all way to long(probably why I don't change putters very often - current one has been in the bag for 3 or 4 years and the one before that for 4 or 5 years).

I'm 5'9" and have a fairly upright stance. In the last year and a half I have worked down in 1/2 inch increments from 35 inches to 33.5. I feel very comfortable at my current length and am putting better than ever before

Stan Utley has a lot of good things to say about putting but he's absolutely wrong (in my opinion) in thinking "most" people should use a 35 or 36 inch putter.

Chris --

It all depends on your physique and technique as to length.

I'm 6 ft and use a 36 inch putter with my eyes inside the ball about an inch - I use Pat O'Brien's technique seen on www.seemore.com

In the conventional eyes over ball, hunched over a tad stroke, I used a 34 inch length.

The taller putter certainly is easier on my back. Your technique is a big factor when you're getting fit.

Hey, it could be you weren't releasing your putter along an arc is why you were pushing.

good luck.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

What type of measurement used? Butt-end straight down the shaft to the ground in address position, or butt-end straight down to the bottom of the centre of the face?

I used The Science & Motion putting lab and just let his arms hang down in a relax position while addressing the putter and bending over the ball.

Riccardo Marin

I think I personally fit Cris. His putting stroke was not the one taught by Utley. He had more of a Pelz style.

Riccardo Marin

Director of Instruction for the Edwin Watts Golf Academy

Hey Riccardo! Yes, I was talking about the results from when you fit me last week. I am thinking about cutting my putter down an inch or two so I can get my eyes directly over the bal.

What makes it so much better for you at 34"...getting your eyes directly over the ball, or letting your arms hang without having to bend your elbows? Just curious what you think, these are things that I am hoping will happen if I cut mine down.

For me going from a 35" to a 34" has allowed my arms to hang more naturally and give a better stroke. That's the biggest advantage I can see.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I'm 5'9" and have a fairly upright stance. In the last year and a half I have worked down in 1/2 inch increments from 35 inches to 33.5. I feel very comfortable at my current length and am putting better than ever before

Stan Utley has a lot of good things to say about putting but he's absolutely wrong (in my opinion) in thinking "most" people should use a 35 or 36 inch putter.

I don't think he is wrong at all. Your talking about a guy that is known on tour STRICTLY because of his ability to teach the putting stroke. He had no big name father or formal training etc. The guy knows what he is talking about. If you want an example look no further than Sergio Garcia. He promotes a stroke etc. that is a whole lot different than what you are probably doing right now. At 5 foot 9 your right you can probably get away with a 34-35 inch putter however you cannot say he is wrong until you are setup with your grip etc. the way he wants it done. I have tried his method and have nothing but positive things to say about it. Holding the grip in your finger tips just makes so much more sense than in your palms. It makes you hold onto the putter lighter therfore increase feel etc.

I'm 6', and I changed from 35" to 34" last year. I think I could even go a bit shorter.

... I'm sure people around here know technicalities better than I do, but I'm assuming the weight distribution isn't thrown off by a putter being shortened as it would for any of the full length swing clubs in your bag.

I doubt this applies to all models, but there are putters (such as mine) where the shorter length versions come with heavier heads.

Here are a few articles that could help you understand.

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/instr...1144617,00.html

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2008/07/putter-length-a.html

and a video

Riccardo Marin

This guy completely condradicts what you see with players on the PGA tour. For him to say that standard for men is 32 inches to 33 is absurd. You can count the players on tour playing putters that short on one hand I am talking people of all hieghts. Look how hunched over he is. It is like Stan Utley says in his book, in all his putter fittings he has ever done he has almost never met someone who came in with a putter that was too long. I am sorry but the norm on tour is 35 inches and I would say there are more that are over 35 versus the opposite. There is one player out of 15 on Camerons website that rolls a 34 inch putter. There are more than a couple that are over 35.