New pitchmark repair tool from GlenwayPutters/GRNTOOL

This model is called the "Mantis", it is designed to help promote the correct way to repair a pitchmark. This helps you push towards the center of the mark.

I had help from two superintendents in my area that are members of the GCSAA and we worked on several models. This is the final edition and is milled from 303 SS.

I hope you all like it.

Jay

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks cool.

Shame on me for thinking we had reached the end of the ball mark repair technology innovation cycle.

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='mrb' post='1900716' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:26 PM']I like the concept, but it seems a bit bulky to be carried around in one's pocket.[/quote]

Out of all of the testing we did with it, that one was not one of the issues that anyone had.

We are working on a holster that clips on to the belt.

Jay

[quote name='Headgames' post='1900719' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:26 PM']Looks cool, but I have 2 peices of input, assuming you're interested...

1 - the design, while ergonomic, may be uncomfortable/akward in one's pocket. Consider a quick release attachment for one's bag?
2 - how much does it weigh? A solid peice of SS might also be heavy in your pocket...
3 - price?[/quote]

1. I think the holster for the belt will work the best. The holster will also have a place to hold a ballmarker.
2. it weighs 70g
3. $59 shipped

jay

[quote name='glenwayputters' post='1900722' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:27 PM'][quote name='mrb' post='1900716' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:26 PM']I like the concept, but it seems a bit bulky to be carried around in one's pocket.[/quote]

Out of all of the testing we did with it, that one was not one of the issues that anyone had.

Jay
[/quote]

I'm really not sure that's the solution either. If I already have a cell phone and/or a GPS device hanging from my belt, I'm not going to want to add more. Otherwise I'm gonna start to look like Batman out there with my utility belt.

What about some sort of hinged folding mechanism so that the prongs would fold back into the handle. I know that's asking a lot, but to be honest, if I had my choice between the two current options (bulk in the pocket, or utility belt), I'd opt to either carry a cheap plastic divot repair tool, or worse, none at all.

[quote name='mrb' post='1900740' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:33 PM'][quote name='glenwayputters' post='1900722' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:27 PM'][quote name='mrb' post='1900716' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:26 PM']I like the concept, but it seems a bit bulky to be carried around in one's pocket.[/quote]

Jay
[/quote]

I'm really not sure that's the solution either. If I already have a cell phone and/or a GPS device hanging from my belt, I'm not going to want to add more. Otherwise I'm gonna start to look like Batman out there with my utility belt.

What about some sort of hinged folding mechanism so that the prongs would fold back into the handle. I know that's asking a lot, but to be honest, if I had my choice between the two current options (bulk in the pocket, or utility belt), I'd opt to either carry a cheap plastic divot repair tool, or worse, none at all.
[/quote]

It is a small holster and takes up very little space. I can understand not wanting to have too many things on ones belt, but the folks that randomly were chosen to test it with the belt holster. Liked the convenience of the location, as well as the fact that it held there ballmarker, so that they didn't have to dig in their pocket looking for it.

I am also making these in aluminum, as well as ballistic nylon for several clubs in my area.

jay

[quote name='mrb' post='1900758' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:39 PM']Maybe we're blowing this size/bulk thing out of proportion, making a mountain out of a molehill.

Could you snap a couple pics of it with something else so we can better gauge the size?

Also, how would one go about ordering/acquiring one of these?[/quote]

sure, here are some pics next to a ruler. The one in the picture was an earlier rendition, but the length and width are the same.

They will initially be sold at www.tpmillsputters.com and will eventually migrate over to www.grntool.com.

Jay

The tool that I have designed is engineered to repair pitch marks correctly.

My aluminum versions will sell for less than $35 when they come to market. I did not design a tool to compete, but to perform the way the GCSAA says that you should repair a pitch mark to avoid damage to the root system of the grass.

Jay

It is a copy of the www.greenfixgolf.com design.

[quote name='glenwayputters' post='1900684' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:16 PM']This model is called the "Mantis", it is designed to help promote the correct way to repair a pitchmark. This helps you push towards the center of the mark.

I had help from two superintendents in my area that are members of the GCSAA and we worked on several models. This is the final edition and is milled from 303 SS.

I hope you all like it.

Jay[/quote]

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1901107' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:31 PM']It is a copy of the www.greenfixgolf.com design.

[quote name='glenwayputters' post='1900684' date='Aug 19 2009, 04:16 PM']This model is called the "Mantis", it is designed to help promote the correct way to repair a pitchmark. This helps you push towards the center of the mark.

I hope you all like it.

Jay[/quote]
[/quote]

I saw that one, but mine is not a copy of that, I didn't copy anyone. I have been working on this one for a while and mine performs very well.

Jay

[quote name='nas1021' post='1901150' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:56 PM']why not remove weight and size from where the circles are? they are just cosmetics and people would probably prefer results instead of looks[/quote]

I wanted to keep some size in people's hands. One of the issues that I found when I asked people about the repair tools they were using, is that they were too light and did not fit their hands very well. So, we added some thickness in the handle and did the borethru to remove some of the weight.

You will get results with this tool, try one and see.

Jay

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1901107' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:31 PM']It is a copy of the www.greenfixgolf.com design.[/quote]

Frozen Rope, could you explain?

How it is a copy of this :
[attachment=453209:green_fi...tom_tool.jpg]

?? I look at all of their products, and did not see anything that ressemble this design.

Former tour player Danny Edwards developed the greenfix tool. It is different from a conventional tool in that it is designed to cave in the high side of a divot by pushing rather than digging. The tool has a "stopper" which promotes pushing and prevents digging. When the mark is fixed by pushing in the sides rather than digging down deep, the grass roots remain intact.
The OP has copied Edwards "stopper" feature.

[quote name='Bartok' post='1901177' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:03 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1901107' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:31 PM']It is a copy of the www.greenfixgolf.com design.[/quote]

?? I look at all of their products, and did not see anything that ressemble this design.
[/quote]

"Copy" implies that the OP saw Edwards's design and purposefully decided to utilize the same feature in his own creation. That's a strong statement and I don't know that any of us can support such an accusation.

I too would agree that the design appears a bit more "bulky" than I would prefer to put in my pocket, but it looks like a quality tool.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1901285' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:47 PM']Former tour player Danny Edwards developed the greenfix tool. It is different from a conventional tool in that it is designed to cave in the high side of a divot by pushing rather than digging. The tool has a "stopper" which promotes pushing and prevents digging. When the mark is fixed by pushing in the sides rather than digging down deep, the grass roots remain intact.
The OP has copied Edwards "stopper" feature.

[quote name='Bartok' post='1901177' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:03 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='1901107' date='Aug 19 2009, 07:31 PM']It is a copy of the www.greenfixgolf.com design.[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Quite the stretch there Rope and very nit picky IMO!

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='1901285' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:47 PM']Former tour player Danny Edwards developed the greenfix tool. It is different from a conventional tool in that it is designed to cave in the high side of a divot by pushing rather than digging. The tool has a "stopper" which promotes pushing and prevents digging. When the mark is fixed by pushing in the sides rather than digging down deep, the grass roots remain intact.
The OP has copied Edwards "stopper" feature.[/quote]

I am aware of Danny Edwards' work. I don't own one of is tool, but was showed the proper way to fix a pitch mark a few years ago. I try to teach it to as many fellow golfer I can. A lot of folks do have difficulties doing it we the traditionnal tools as they do tend to dig...
The "stopper" is indeed a great feature. Was he influenced by this feature, I can't say. It appears to me that a lot of thoughts went to this design and I can appreciate that. I would love to try it as I would love to try Edwards' tool as well.
By the look of it, I would say that the tools share the same objective : a fast and easy way to fix pitch mark (making our golf rounds a lot more enjoyable!!!). Jay's design is just more stylish and not a copy of the other design.

[quote name='Metalhead' post='1901244' date='Aug 19 2009, 08:30 PM']Nice I like it....

but making that as a folding version would be slick.....the pivot point at the highest point with the tongs dovetailing into the meater part of the handle for a steamlining.
JAT[/quote]

I looked at hinging it in a similar fashion, but really couldn't get the weight down without using a polymer based handle.

jay