2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Collegiate Golf Preparation

I've just been accepted into Occidental College in Los Angeles and will be playing collegiate golf there and I was hoping to get some advice on how best to prepare for the upcoming season in Los Angeles, fitness wise. I would say that I'm in fairly good shape, but I am extremely skinny for my age and height; I am 5'11" and 125 lbs. I have some workouts that would improve balance, strength, and stamina on the golf course. Here are the workouts that I came up with. Note that I'm trying to avoid plateauing and trying to promote muscle confusion. Let me know what you think, where I can improve, and if there are any more exercises that you believe would help my golf game.

Workout #1

Morning Golf

• Two hour practice session (woods and irons).

Pre-Workout

• 30-45 minute run.
  • 15 minutes stretching.

Workout

• Seated Row (10 and 3).
  • Triceps Dip (X and 3).
  • Dumbbell Shoulder Press (8 and 3).
  • Leg Press (8 and 3).
  • Abdominal Machine (20 and 3).
  • Curls (10 and 3).
  • Overhead Presses (15 and 3).
  • Pull Downs (12 and 3).
  • Overhead Pulls (12 and 3).
  • Forearm Curls (20 and 3)
  • Leg Curls (15 and 3).
  • Bench Press (10 and 3).
  • Squats (15 and 3).

Afternoon/Evening Golf

• 9 Holes.

Workout #2

Morning Golf

• 18 Holes.

Pre-Workout

• Bike.
  • 15 minutes stretching.

Workout

• Single Leg Stance (1 minute/leg).
  • Torso Turns One Leg (50 swings/leg).
  • Lateral Bounding (20 jumps/leg).
  • Step Overs (8 and 3).
  • Wobble Board (90 seconds/leg).
  • Stork Turns (20 and 3).

Afternoon/Evening Golf

• 30 minute practice session (putting).

Workout #3

Morning Golf

• 9 Holes
  • 1 hour practice session (woods and irons).

Pre-Workout

• 45-60 minute run.
  • 30 minutes stretching.
  • 30 minutes yoga and visualization.

Workout

• Exercise Ball Crunches (30 and 2).
  • Side Bridges (40 seconds/side).
  • Dips (50 and 3).
  • Push Ups (X and 3).
  • Lunges (X and 2).
  • Exercise Ball Push Ups (X and 2).
  • Exercise Ball Dips (X and 2).
  • Push Ups (X and 3).
  • Exercise Ball Crunches (50 and 2).
  • Dips (50 and 3).
  • Push Ups (X and 3).

Afternoon/Evening Golf

• 1 hour practice session (putting).

Workout #4

Morning Golf

• 2 hour practice session (putting).

Pre-Workout

• 30 minute run.

Workout

• Exercise Ball Crunches (20 and 3).
  • Push Ups (X and 3).
  • Leg Ups (15 and 3).
  • Curls (30 and 3).
  • Flies (15 and 3).
  • Sit Ups (60 and 2).
  • Bench Press (20 and 4).
  • Russian Twists (90 and 1).
  • Curls (10 and 3).
  • Push Ups (X+10 and 2).
  • Exercise Ball Crunches (50 and 3).
  • Push Ups (X+20 and 1).
  • Curls (10 and 3).

Afternoon/Evening Golf

• 30 minute practice session (wedge work).

Workout #5

Morning Golf

• 18 Holes.

Pre-Workout

• 30-45 minute run.
  • 15 minute stretching.

Workout

• Seated Row (10 and 5).
  • Bench Press (10 and 5).
  • Squats (10 and 5).
  • Deadlifts (10 and 5).
  • Leg Press (10 and 5).
  • Leg Curls (10 and 5).
  • Bench Press (10 and 5).
  • Squats (10 and 5).

Afternoon/Evening Golf

• 30 minute practice session (putting).

Workout #6

Morning Golf

• 2 hour practice session (putting).

Pre-Workout

• 30 minute yoga and breathing exercises.

Workout

• Russian Twists (50 and 3)
  • Stork Turns (20 and 3).
  • Curls (30 and 3).
  • Overhead Press (30 and 3).

Afternoon/Evening Golf

• 18 holes.

Workout #7 (Work days)

Morning Golf

• One hour practice session (wedge work).

Afternoon/Evening Golf

• 9 Holes.

Workout #8 (Off days)

Morning Golf

• 18 Holes.

Pre-Workout

• 30-45 minute run.

Workout

• Curls (20 and 3).
  • Bench Press (20 and 3).
  • Overhead Press (20 and 3).
  • Hammer Curls (30 and 3).
  • One Handed Overhead Press (20 and 3).
  • Push Ups (X and 3).
  • Exercise Ball Crunches (30 and 3).

Thoughts?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P90X is based on muscle confusion, core strength, flexibility, and functional strength. To say that "there's not much regarding actual golf exercises" is TOTALLY off. As a matter of fact, core strength (i.e. turning through the ball), flexibility, and upper and lower body strength is what golf fitness is all about!!! You can find a used copy almost anywhere online for roughly $50. There is a pretty extensive thread on here also if you want to do a search and hear some golfer testimonials. The best workouts for your goals that you'll find without an actual PGA Tour specific personal trainer.

P90X is awesome, I have been doing it for about 6 weeks and have noticed a dramatic difference in overall strength, especially leg and core strangth. I had been slacking all winter working out but this is really good. As someone else said definately watch your diet, eat several small meals daily and with your weight I would pick up lots of whey protein mix, it really helps rebuilding muscles after workouts and it sounds like you could use a little bulking up, just make sure to stretch a lot with a program like you're doing.

Your workout and practice regiment looks very thorough. My best piece of advice is to put on some weight- eat a lot of good food. After your weight lifiting work outs have a big protein shake including 50 g of sugar- it will help transport the protein ionto your muscles. Also, mix at least 20 g of proteing with milk and have that before you go to bed.

Best of luck

You're doing to right thing starting a work out regimen prior to getting to school. I was just a hair bigger than you when I entered college (6ft 135lb) and was shocked at how long everybody was in college. Our team worked out quite a bit, me especially as I needed length, and it paid big dividends. Diet is just as important as your workouts so make sure you eat quality food with ample amounts of protein.

As far as your game is concerned, go with what got you to this point. Four years of college goes by quickly and you don't have a ton of time to tinker with your game. Work HARD on your game from 80 yards and in. Everyone in college can hit the ball...the success comes for those with strong short games.

If you want to get serious about bulking up I would cut down on the cardio, I mean playing golf (I am guessing you are walking) + running 45 min is a lot of pressure on you legs and you are loosing too many calories. As far a as a regiment goes split it up into to muscle groups

Day 1: Chest/Tri
Day 2: Biceps/ Lats
Day 3: Legs/Delts
and Core work every day
with this take at least 150 grams of protien with no more that 50 coming through supplements.

I second the last post, going to have to cut down on some of the cardio otherwise you'll just burn off whatever muscle you try to put on. I mean cardio is great, but I'd limit it if you're really trying to put some pounds on. Ask around at the college too, there are plenty of people that would be willing to help you with a workout program. 4 years on a solid workout program in college does wonders just stick to it.

ps. spend more time putting biggrin.gif

[quote name='obsessedgolfer' date='30 April 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1272684577' post='2411301']
If you want to get serious about bulking up I would cut down on the cardio, I mean playing golf (I am guessing you are walking) + running 45 min is a lot of pressure on you legs and you are loosing too many calories. As far a as a regiment goes split it up into to muscle groups

and Core work every day
with this take at least 150 grams of protien with no more that 50 coming through supplements.
[/quote]

Come on man, are we training for a body-building show or to get stronger and more flexible. You def want compound lifts, they are faster, encompass more muscles per lift. As Tiger said, check out stronglifts.com for sure. Do 5x5 and have a caloric excess and see how your fitness turns out then. You'll probably be quite surprised. Stronglifts has the workout completely planned, dont just anything, just try it for a month. And start exactly how it says with 45 lbs. You'll be thanking Tiger and I later.
It's that good.

No offense but the main thing I would work on is from 130 yds and in, more than anything else. I played division 1 golf in college and if you can get up and down from 130 yds in then thats where you will pay immediate dividends.

Do not worry about the driving and irons, that will naturally come with the number of rounds you are playing.

Go out to pratice on a golf hole and bring like 50-100 golf balls and hit them from pw/sw distance and in. Then play EVERY single lie that you get around the green from bad shots and practice your pitching and chipping. Then putt them all in and repeat. This is what I did and made me a stronger player, your pitching, chipping and putting is the most important aspect for college golf. I also see that you do not try to hit any trick shots, by specifically going out and hitting low cut, low draw, high draw, high cut, punch shots from under trees, around bushes........etc.

You need to get your game ready for the extreme conditions also, because your rounds will depend more on how you keep the higher numbers lower than your lower number lower.

All in all, I would focus on short game and maybe locate a world renown pro in your state and go to him for a short game specific lesson.

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT THING BY FAR............go find a good golf psycologist and work on your mental game (most important aspect), learn Xen meditation techiniques, practicing visualization........etc........besides my short game practice, enabling myself with ways to increase my mental ability while on the course brought me above the people who had the same amount of physical talent. Alot of people miss the fact of how important it is to work on the mental side when you start to get to the higher levels of competition in golf.

[quote name='obsessedgolfer' date='08 May 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1273329648' post='2428738']
^^^ That is great advice, but keep in mind the OP really needs to bulk up being 5'11 125 pounds, to be competitive wiht you need to have atleast a 250-260 yard drive.
[/quote]

I was not critiquing his workouts at all because in my mind it is very hard for him to bulk up that much before college, it would take a solid 6-8 months with the right protein intake before he sees some noticiable muscle growth, maybe strength and flexability but that comes and goes with the amount/intensity of workouts being done.

So thats where my critique came for the way he is practicing his golf game, which in this case would be easier to make the improvements. Also just because he is very skinny doesnt mean he cant hit a 250yd drive now with the right mechanics. ALSO I would take a 250 yard drive in the fairway over a 300 yard drive in the second cut any day of the week. I know and knew PLENTY of guys who hit a 240-250 yd drive and they shot par day in day out. Yes the long ball helps but isnt essential in college golf; accuracy, great course management and a great short game is the biggest key IMHO.

[quote name='Golfer1659' date='08 May 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1273333817' post='2428834']
[quote name='obsessedgolfer' date='08 May 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1273329648' post='2428738']
^^^ That is great advice, but keep in mind the OP really needs to bulk up being 5'11 125 pounds, to be competitive wiht you need to have atleast a 250-260 yard drive.
[/quote]

I was not critiquing his workouts at all because in my mind it is very hard for him to bulk up that much before college, [u][b]it would take a solid 6-8 months with the right protein intake before he sees some noticiable muscle growth[/b][/u], maybe strength and flexability but that comes and goes with the amount/intensity of workouts being done.

So thats where my critique came for the way he is practicing his golf game, which in this case would be easier to make the improvements. Also just because he is very skinny doesnt mean he cant hit a 250yd drive now with the right mechanics. ALSO I would take a 250 yard drive in the fairway over a 300 yard drive in the second cut any day of the week. I know and knew PLENTY of guys who hit a 240-250 yd drive and they shot par day in day out. Yes the long ball helps but isnt essential in college golf; accuracy, great course management and a great short game is the biggest key IMHO.
[/quote]

Couldn't be any farther from the truth. Most people see definite muscle growth within a month, if they keep at it, do a good program and have a solid diet. And not really for the second point, or at least not in 2010, maybe in the 20th century you could play in college with a 250 driving average, but definitely not from 2010-on.

[quote name='pinhigh27' date='08 May 2010 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1273345489' post='2429078']
Couldn't be any farther from the truth. Most people see definite muscle growth within a month, if they keep at it, do a good program and have a solid diet. And not really for the second point, or at least not in 2010, maybe in the 20th century you could play in college with a 250 driving average, but definitely not from 2010-on.
[/quote]

Have you ever played college golf? You sound like an idiot by saying you cant play college golf with a 250 yd drive (especially when its in the fairway, which is the stereotype for a shorter hiter). If you have never played AJGA, College Golf divison 1 or national amateur tournaments that are beyond the regional area then please do not comment since you obviously don't know what you are talking about. (sorry if it came off harsh but you are sending the wrong message)

Also when I say muscle growth, i am talking about which will actually change something, I am not talking a little change in definition which would occur in that month that you are talking about, I am talking about a complete change in the overall core of his body, takes a minimum of 6-8 months, PERIOD! I am taking full traps, defined chest 4-6 pack, lats....etc. That will not be accomplished in 1 month. At his height of 5'11 he should have a full body mass equaling nearly 200lbs, in one month he wouldn't even be close to that!! And it isn't based apon his workouts, its more based apon his meal plan.

[quote name='Golfer1659' date='08 May 2010 - 05:13 PM' timestamp='1273353192' post='2429207']
[quote name='pinhigh27' date='08 May 2010 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1273345489' post='2429078']
[/quote]

Have you ever played college golf? You sound like an idiot by saying you cant play college golf with a 250 yd drive (especially when its in the fairway, which is the stereotype for a shorter hiter). If you have never played AJGA, College Golf divison 1 or national amateur tournaments that are beyond the regional area then please do not comment since you obviously don't know what you are talking about. (sorry if it came off harsh but you are sending the wrong message)

Also when I say muscle growth, i am talking about which will actually change something, I am not talking a little change in definition which would occur in that month that you are talking about, I am talking about a complete change in the overall core of his body, takes a minimum of 6-8 months, PERIOD! I am taking full traps, defined chest 4-6 pack, lats....etc. That will not be accomplished in 1 month. At his height of 5'11 he should have a full body mass equaling nearly 200lbs, in one month he wouldn't even be close to that!! And it isn't based apon his workouts, its more based apon his meal plan.
[/quote]

1st lets address the workouts. What is noticeable for you, might not be noticeable for someone else and vice versa. Your turning this into him looking better, when all the OP wants to do, is get stronger/more flexible for golf. Who cares what he looks like, if he feels stronger and more fit and that enhances his golf game? If he wanted to have a 6 pack and look like a model, he probably wouldn't be asking how to do that on a golf site.

Next, Do you play college golf? I play highly competitive high school golf right now, Junior Pgas blah blah blah, all of it. And if your hitting it 250, your definitely on the very low end of the 16-18 year olds, much less the college kids. In fact I just played a course around here thats 7450 from the tips, that a college team would most likely play the tips at. You can't tell me with a good conscience that a player with a 250 yard driving average wouldnt be at a huge disadvantage at a course that long. Additionally, you put so much weight on college, and higher level tournaments, I'll elaborate further.

As said in other threads, I play with 2 players that are going on golf scholarships to Malone, which is I think the 2nd highest rated NAIA school? They win nearly everything they are in. And both of these kids hit it very far. 1 hits it 300, the other 270 and is more accurate, but working on adding distance. And guess whose scores are better? The one that hits it 300. Pretty much always he wins, and I'm not just saying because of driving distance, but it certainly helps.
I'm not saying hitting it far is the only thing, it of course certainly is not, it just helps immensely. I do agree that having a tremendous short game will also do wonders, just I think the long game is equally important. I didn't mean to start an argument, just voicing opinions.
But, if you do play in college or any other players that are viewing this?, what is the typical yardage you play off? I've been wondering, and hopefully will be playing in a couple years when I graduate HS.

[color=#1C2837]
I have followed this regiment and put 25 yards onto my drive, this is after 2 months and have had a noticible change in my physique
"As far a as a regiment goes split it up into to muscle groups and do this 6 days a week

and Core work every day
with this take at least 150 grams of protien with no more that 50 coming through supplements. "[/color]

lets face the facts:

I played DIVISION 1 Golf........was recruited by many schools. I played AJGA, IJGT, PJGT, National Amateur, had a 0 handicap at the age of 15-16.......etc.

I am 26 6'4 230lbs and hit the ball on average 285-310 with my driver.

I should not be in question its you. OBVIOUSLY conisdering you are in the small world of Jr Mets and HIGHSCHOOL golf then you havent been on a NATIONAL level to see all types of players. I would get out of your bubble and learn for a minute. Thats why I said if you havent played certain tournament scenes then you DO NOT know what you are talking about and just THINK you do.

I know a ton of people that only hit 250 with a driver and shoot par on a daily basis like anything else. Until you come onto the national scene then please do not talk and save yourself the embarrassment.

Note: My home course is Bethpage Black!!! Doesnt get much harder from the tips than there.........played that course 3 times in the past month. Enough said.

Bubba Watson = long

Tim Clark = short

Clark has won more events due to his wedge game from 100 yards and in.

different strokes for different folks. distence only helps if you have a great short game. short game is where you score good. distance helps but is overated. tour players on average are 285 yards last i checked on pgatour.com. On hard tight(most of the time) fairways and courses. distance helps but if you cant get up and down consistently it means nothing.

suggestion:

1.work on wedge game/putter and make great
2. get full swing technque
3. workout to maximize distance.

[quote name='tigerphan' date='08 May 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1273363522' post='2429402']
Bubba Watson = long

Tim Clark = short

Clark has won more events due to his wedge game from 100 yards and in.

different strokes for different folks. distence only helps if you have a great short game. short game is where you score good. distance helps but is overated. tour players on average are 285 yards last i checked on pgatour.com. On hard tight(most of the time) fairways and courses. distance helps but if you cant get up and down consistently it means nothing.

suggestion:

1.work on wedge game/putter and make great
2. get full swing technque
3. workout to maximize distance.
[/quote]

Truth, glad someone else realized it.........also if you follow the golf stereotype shorter hitters normal are more accurate/have better short games when you are dealing with scratch or + handicap golfers, at least in my book they are. ::thumbs up::

Keep in mind you can't force your genetic makeup. If your naturally lean you won't be able to throw on 60 pounds of muscle naturally. And that's not a bad thing either. The point of the exercise is to get STRONG. It doesn't matter what you look like or how much you weigh, you need to do strength and muscular endurance training, not muscle mass training. Besides, you'll put on weight even when focusing on strength anyway.

Don't do all isolation lifting, leave that crap to "body builders" who only care about looking good for the ladies. Look into olympic lifting, kettlebells, and in general movements that require connection of different muscle groups from your whole body to do.

The golf swing requires muscles to work together, why train them independently?

Also find a good pilates or yoga program you can do at home on a mat, you'd be amazed how much distance you'll gain by being very flexible. Think bubba watson, dustin johnson.

Im 5'5'' 185# and I hit the ball 285-310 and was a scratch by age 16......and I never did any of the things you did in golf, I chose pro baseball instead. Lay off the guy. Some ppl are good who are long off the tee, phil...tiger...some guy named Jack was pretty long. Some play well i.e. Tim Clark, Corey Pavin, or dare I say Tiger Woods at the Players this year, who arent long. As a teaching pro now. I could care less if you hit it 210 or 310 if you arent in fairway your f'd! Its called [size="4"]driving distance with accuracy [size="2"]that[/size] [/size]is the stat you should watch for not total distance. Golfer1659 I think your the one calling the kettle black here. Congrats your home course is Bethpage Black, Red, Green, Yellow and Blue. Its a state park for god sake's your one of 200,000 rounds a year! Don't take the Im holyer than thou route here. If the kid is 250 off the tee on a 550 yard par 5 its a 3 shot hole. For 98% of the golfing population its ATLEAST a 3 shot hole. Remember if your are below a 2 handicap you are the exception in golf not the norm, so chill out.

[quote name='Zooko23' date='08 May 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1273370233' post='2429595']
Im 5'5'' 185# and I hit the ball 285-310 and was a scratch by age 16......and I never did any of the things you did in golf, I chose pro baseball instead. Lay off the guy. Some ppl are good who are long off the tee, phil...tiger...some guy named Jack was pretty long. Some play well i.e. Tim Clark, Corey Pavin, or dare I say Tiger Woods at the Players this year, who arent long. As a teaching pro now. I could care less if you hit it 210 or 310 if you arent in fairway your f'd! Its called [size="4"]driving distance with accuracy [size="2"]that[/size] [/size]is the stat you should watch for not total distance. Golfer1659 I think your the one calling the kettle black here. Congrats your home course is Bethpage Black, Red, Green, Yellow and Blue. Its a state park for god sake's your one of 200,000 rounds a year! Don't take the Im holyer than thou route here. If the kid is 250 off the tee on a 550 yard par 5 its a 3 shot hole. For 98% of the golfing population its ATLEAST a 3 shot hole. Remember if your are below a 2 handicap you are the exception in golf not the norm, so chill out.
[/quote]

Point taken........i over stepped my bounds and let this subject get the best of me since I felt attacked in a way.

[quote name='Golfer1659' date='08 May 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1273362781' post='2429377']
lets face the facts:

I played DIVISION 1 Golf........was recruited by many schools. I played AJGA, IJGT, PJGT, National Amateur, had a 0 handicap at the age of 15-16.......etc.

I am 26 6'4 230lbs and hit the ball on average 285-310 with my driver.

I should not be in question its you. OBVIOUSLY conisdering you are in the small world of Jr Mets and HIGHSCHOOL golf then you havent been on a NATIONAL level to see all types of players. I would get out of your bubble and learn for a minute. Thats why I said if you havent played certain tournament scenes then you DO NOT know what you are talking about and just THINK you do.

I know a ton of people that only hit 250 with a driver and shoot par on a daily basis like anything else. Until you come onto the national scene then please do not talk and save yourself the embarrassment.

Note: My home course is Bethpage Black!!! Doesnt get much harder from the tips than there.........played that course 3 times in the past month. Enough said.
[/quote]

I truly don't mean to attack, but I'm just curious: why didn't you pursue playing golf as a career?

[quote name='tofur99' date='09 May 2010 - 06:42 AM' timestamp='1273405334' post='2430036']

I truly don't mean to attack, but I'm just curious: why didn't you pursue playing golf as a career?

[/quote]

I was going to. But a few wrong decisions in college and my life changed greatly (non golf related), but I am a better person today for it.

To the OP, your training is intense. do you actually follow that each day?

this would be more intense than 90% of the college programs.

TigerPhan had a great post. P90x is awesome and I recommend it but not following the daily program. I have had alot of players try this instead of their regular workouts and it has made them more tighter, less dynamically flexible, and its tough to maintain. The same goes for Crossfit. Great in small doses.

If you are not being recruited, find a recruiter to help you with finding the best fit for you in terms of school, finances, golf, and city. The guy I use fits most players into schools within a few days. PM me for his contact details.

Mystic I will say crossfit on top of his golf work out is a bit much. But I dont see why he couldnt do a few of them. Honestly I think what he has is alot, period. And I dont see any time for homework in there, just saying. I am not a fan of p90x because of the crash diet it puts you on. But the poor kid is a bean pole anything he does he will gain muslce. I remember when I was skinny.....Then I found beerdrinks.gif