Cleveland CG1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm torn on these irons. I love the look, I love the feel, I love the trajectory...but the distance sucked! Yeah, everyone says who cares what the bottom of the iron says...but if I'm used to hitting a 9 iron and I have to hit 7...well, a 9 IS easier to hit and I hit a 9 closer to the pin. These things were 1.5-2 clubs shorter than my old Z101's or my current Titleist 704CB's.

I loved everthing about the CG1's, but could not deal with having to hit 1.5 extra clubs.

• 5 months later...
I'm torn on these irons.  I love the look, I love the feel, I love the trajectory...but the distance sucked!  Yeah, everyone says who cares what the bottom of the iron says...but if I'm used to hitting a 9 iron and I have to hit 7...well, a 9 IS easier to hit and I hit a 9 closer to the pin.  These things were 1.5-2 clubs shorter than my old Z101's or my current Titleist 704CB's. 

I loved everthing about the CG1's, but could not deal with having to hit 1.5 extra clubs.

4350[/snapback]

probably because you need to have the game to hit them solid and the the max distance out of them

• 1 month later...
I'm torn on these irons.  I love the look, I love the feel, I love the trajectory...but the distance sucked!  Yeah, everyone says who cares what the bottom of the iron says...but if I'm used to hitting a 9 iron and I have to hit 7...well, a 9 IS easier to hit and I hit a 9 closer to the pin.  These things were 1.5-2 clubs shorter than my old Z101's or my current Titleist 704CB's. 

4350[/snapback]

mos def agree with those sayings...not great on distance..i got project X shafts in mine...the 704's are DEEP..wish i could say the same for the CG1's

• 8 months later...

I hit these yesterday at the local Golf Galaxy on my way home after a round, and I loved the feel, trajectory and the distance was about 20 yards further than my current irons, but that might be because these had DG S300 and my irons have Tour Flighted Rifle 6.5 shafts, but I'm not sure if that would make that much of a differnece.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

can't agree with the distance comments. I hit the 8 iron in the 735cm's 168-172 yards and hit the 8 in the cg1's 170 give or take. The mid irons i have found the same with the 5iron going 205-210 in both sets. The CG1's are really sweet clubs, I like them better than the 735cms and especially love the feel, even though the club is not forged still buttery sweet. Hit the sweetspot more if you want more distance, the difference between the 704cb and the CG1 is alot of game, if you don't have it yet, just keep playing with the harder club to hit, it will make you a better ballstriker, just don't blame the club going from a easy to hit cavity back to a good blade, and claiming the club is short

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I play a set of CG1 Black Pearls. Rifle Flighted 6.0. I switched from a set of TA3s with S300 shafts. My CG1's I had custom built 2 deg. strong because the local pro said he was a half club shorter with his CG1's. I have heard a couple of people say that. I have not heard anymore than a club difference. As for mine I am a club shorter with my wedge. All others are the same. I have had the wedge loft checked 4 times to confirm this but they are what they are suppose to be. However I like the flight and distance of my longer irons a lot better than my previous so I am willing to trade off the distance loss in my wedge. Most of Titleists Irons are a little strong to begin with so you might make sure you are comparing apples to apples as far as loft is concerned. Look at specs on both websites to make sure.

Good Luck

Scott

• 4 months later...

I've had my CG1 black pearls for about a month and a half , they are 1 deg strong with Black gold xStiff in them . I have moved from TP mb with 6.0 flighted rifles.

The CG1 head look feel and play amazing, i have if anything gained about 5 yards a club which i think is down to the shafts as im producing slightly less spin.

They are more workable if a little less forgiving than my old TP's.

I say to any good ball striker, try then, get fit for them, dont automaticaly put you normal shaft in them. AND MOST OF ALL stick with em.

These are the best Blades on the market at the min IMO as long as you get fit properly for them.

• 2 months later...

Got a set of Black Pearls about a month and a half ago(DG X-100, standard lofts/lie) and they are sweet!! Pure butter!! I had 990's for 7 or 8 years prior to getting these so I don't change a whole lot but these are very nice. A bit more boring ball flight than the 990s which I like. I know the 990s don't have a reputation as being a very good club or easy to hit but I liked them for the time I used them. I've become a much better ball-striker the last 4 or 5 years and this is the first blade I have used and I am extremely pleased with them. I can't wait to get in a full season with them next year(we'll see how they play on the "winter golf" circuit in the coming months!!). They are great looking and have a nice set-up at address(thin topline), distances is a little bit longer than the 990s(although the 990s are more lofted than most irons, and they have a great feel when struck well.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys, new to the boards as I just heard about this site from a friend. I have to jump in as I have a set of both CG1 and CG1 BP and they have all been butter. I will say the original CG1s were a little softer and somewhat more "forgiving", if I can use that word for blades, but the CG1 BP's are my favorite. The feel, the distance, and the workability are all there but for me its the look. I have yet to see another set of irons that look as good when you set them down. If it were up to me every manufacturer would have to come up with a Black Perl version of thier irons!

Had CG1's BP. Great iron when you hit it perfectly. The sweet spot is tiny, so I lost a lot of distance when hit off center. They really are really meant for a very low handicappers. Went to MP57's and that iron is much more forgiving. I was also digging ditches with CG's because the sole was so narrow. However, they are great irons for very good ballstrikers.

Bunch of clubs

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I purchased a set of the BP's in April, coming from Wilson F15's with 6.0 PX's. I must say everyone said I wouldn't like them because you have to be an excellent ball striker. This is true, but the mis hits that I've had have been few, due to mental preparation each time I hit, I know that if it's off center I suffer the loss, again unfortunatley thta has not been the case.

These clubs are butter, and the distance for me has been 5-10 yards more.

The finish, looks as good in the bag as on the fairway, my buddies all play titliest, callaways, taylormade forged irons and when ever I'm up to hit, I see them glaring at the CG1's because they know what about to happen!!! Butter..

• 3 weeks later...

I went from Callaway X-Forged irons to the CG1 Black Pearls in May. There's some difference, just because of the shafts, but I feel like I wasted a year on those X-Forged irons. They couldn't have been anymore inconsistent.

Looks: They don't get any better than this. When you get in your stance and you look at the butter knife of a topline, it's a little daunting, but after a few great shots, you get over that pretty quickly.

Feel: They feel soft and easy. They don't have that click that you feel with Titleist blades and they don't feel as soft as Mizunos (but pretty close), and they seem to resist the bag chatter.

Playbility: Yes you will know when you don't hit it solid. When I do, I know immediately where it was struck on the face. On off center hits, I haven't lost anywhere near the yardage I was losing with the Callaways. Guys, I'm hitting a 3 iron from the fairway now as comfortable as an 8 iron. I'm also working the ball again - draws are pretty easy, and I'm trying to dial in a fade now. I tend to NOT fade it, or fade it about 5 yards too much. A little more practice will get that fixed. I wished I wasn't left-handed, as I would love for my friends to try them out.

I'm an 8 handicap. Last year I got down to a 6. I shot a 75 this weekend and am sure I will beat that score very soon.

• 3 weeks later...

These are beautiful clubs, absolutely gorgeous. They are also no joke, full on blades. They have a sweet spot about the size of a pea, meaning they will force you to swing well.

After hitting these for a few minutes and then going to my CG4 Tour long irons, it feels like the CG4's have cantaloupe-sized sweet spots.

When I hit them solid (which is rare to be honest), I lose no distance over my Wilson Ci6's but I feel like I've gained accuracy and tempo as these clubs kind of force me to make consistent swings.

I'm about a 13 hcp who hits a 6 iron about 160 and is working on consistent solid contact.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently switched from ben hogan apex plus irons with stiff shafts. I played a lot of irons before arriving at these and let me tell you the hogan apex plus are great clubs. The cg1 black pearl are just the best clubs out there. I was using stiff shafts in my hogans and i switched to xstiff in the bp's. At first i was very frustrated with distance and weight and ballooning like everybody else says but these clubs are a learning process. I am a scratch golfer and i shoot about even or under on most average courses. It took me 2 weeks to understand these clubs. This metal is truly different than anything i've ever used. The sweet spot is small and the sole is sharp. After practicing and adjusting to the unforgiveness of these blades i hit golf balls better than ever before. I tried bot hthe cg1's and the cg1 black pearl's before choosing the bp's. They are less forgiving but more workable. The consistency of the spin will blow your mind. The clubs do exactly what your swing tells them to. If you swing badly the club will not do what you want but if you hit a 5 yard cut the clubs will cut 5 yards every time. One thing i like about these clubs is the teajectory control. If you try to knock it down very little distance is lost because of the spin control. I would highly reccommend these clubs to anybody who cares about shot shaping and striking but doesn ot care about foregiveness. The best part of the set is the pitchign wedge as its spin makes it versatile and can be substituted as a gap wedge with a 75% swing.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Cg1 bps! Great look and feel, small sweat spot! You really get instant feedback tho. And to all the nay Sayers out there, I've been hitting these since my 1st year golfing, that's 2 1/2 yrs now, from a set if mizzy blades from the 80's (Hal Greers no joke my dad got em in Philly in 1990, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Greer) so an easy transition! But I am now a 10 hncp after 3 yrs, and it keeps going down. So work to hit an iron and your game will inpove!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have had these irons for a number of years now (9) played with them in highschool and still play them to this day. They feel great when you are hitting them and you can make the ball do whatever you want with these. Alittle lower ball flight then most irons. As for the people on here saying that they are shorter than other irons this is not true. As long as your ballstrikeing is ok then you have no problems. I have tested other irons against these while i was getting fitted, and they all were going around the same distances as long as you hit them properly. These really are not for high handicappers. Again great clubs and have not found anything good enough to replace them yet.