questions about torching a wedge.

magicmatt ·  
magicmattmagicmatt one tough hombre Members  651WRX Points: 0Posts: 651
Is there any substance I should be applying to the head before I torch it, either for color change or otherwise?

I'm assuming butane works better than propane? I bought the cheaper burnzomatic propane kit last night. Just didn't want to waste money on butane if it didn't work out.

Also, if there is a huge thread on torching heads, can someone link me to it so I don't have to bother you guys, I couldn't find it. Thanks!
Posted:
Tagged:

Comments

• Kadin 25Kadin 25 BIG K Members, Featured Writer  6652WRX Points: 41Posts: 6,652 Titanium Tees
    I have used old motor oil and coffee grounds. Here some pics for you...

COFFEE

Posted:

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                    Editor Product Reviews
                    Product Tester/Review Panel
                    Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                    See ya on the green...Kadin

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • magicmattmagicmatt one tough hombre Members  651WRX Points: 0Posts: 651
    thanks, never heard of using coffee!
    Posted:
  • Kadin 25Kadin 25 BIG K Members, Featured Writer  6652WRX Points: 41Posts: 6,652 Titanium Tees
    magicmatt wrote:

thanks, never heard of using coffee!
    Dont worry neither have I until reading it here lol. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:

Editor Product Reviews

• ArafelArafel Members  4279WRX Points: 165Posts: 4,279 Titanium Tees
    Do you want to do an oil can finish or do you want to torch it?
    Posted:
    Arafel wrote:

Do you want to do an oil can finish or do you want to torch it?
    i want that blueish raw finish. also anyone know how long one thing of the standard size burnzomatic propane works?
    Posted:
    When you say blue-ish color sounds to me like you are describing gun blue paste.
    Posted:

Editor Product Reviews

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Black Label JohnnyBlack Label Johnny Members  757WRX Points: 0Posts: 757
    You MUST give the wedge/putter a dip in acetone and/or mineral spirits... This will knock off anything on the club, like fingerprints... Fingerprints can ruin a torch job. blues and purples come later on or with more heat... It'll change in front of your eyes... It's all about getting your heat and time right. I use MAP gas... It gets alot hotter than a propane torch. I've used Royal Purple motor oil to cool it... The stuff is actually purple as opposed to brown oil. It'll add to the colors you're wanting.
    Posted:
    Ping G

X2 Hot 3 & 5 wood w/Chrome
    Scratch Don White 21-46 w/5* gaps
    Scratch XDG 51* & 56*
    Del Mar Buttonback

You MUST give the wedge/putter a dip in acetone and/or mineral spirits... This will knock off anything on the club, like fingerprints... Fingerprints can ruin a torch job. blues and purples come later on or with more heat... It'll change in front of your eyes... It's all about getting your heat and time right. I use MAP gas... It gets alot hotter than a propane torch. I've used Royal Purple motor oil to cool it... The stuff is actually purple as opposed to brown oil. It'll add to the colors you're wanting.
    thank you, i'll give that a try. i stuck with the propane one for now because it was real cheap and i wasn't sure how all this was going to work out. appreciate the feedback
    Posted:
    anyone else have anymore advice?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.