Wasting My Life - Why I'm Breaking Up With the Golf Ball Forum

ScooterMcTavish

After golf season has returned to the Great White North, I decided to go into the legendary GolfWRX to see what people are saying about this year's crop of golf balls. Urethane Nike this. Srixon Z-something that. Golf Digest spin charts (that's the money shot, baby). Whats hot, and is guaranteed to shave strokes off my game. Then it occurred to me, I'm wasting my life in this forum.

And no, I don't mean that in a judgemental way. See, it's not about you. This forum, you guys, you're all great.

It's about me.

See, I have no concept of what golf ball I should play other than:

- It is on sale

- It is not on sale but I really like it

And looking back over the past five years, I can think of only two dozen balls I've bought in category two (1 doz Srixon AD333, and 1 doz e5). Everything else I've bought because:

a) I want to show how clever I am by buying some cheapie 2-piece at Dick's, then rave about how good it actually is (see my threads on the Slazenger Raw Distance Feel and Maxfli Revolution Spin). Are the balls fine? Yep. Are they two-piece cheapies. Yep.

b) Due to stupid luck, I stumble across a ball that is good for me (ON SALE) and have to share how great it is with everyone, especially as I got it for a great price (countless threads on Zip, Gamer, Maxfli C3, Cally Hex Black, Tx4, FG Tour, etc., etc., etc.). Would I ever buy these balls at full price? Yeah. Right.

c) Enjoy playing a tour ball because I love the spin, and the prestige it affords me on the tee. Can I suck back a 7i 15'? Cha, sure, when pigs grow wings. I am not that good. See the hdcp in my sig. Does it help around the green? For a type A personality (like me) who is aggressive, yes. And we all love telling others what ball we're playing with on the first tee and showing them to each other (enjoy the double entendre). "What you playing?" "ProVx, how about you?" "Ah, Z-Star X, how about Bill?" "Mumble, mumble, Pinnacle". Don't deny it! If you're in this forum because you're:

- Cheap and looking for the best value to performance ball, or

- A ball snob. Don't deny it.

So I go to the garage to see what I've bought over the winter. Pretty lean year, only two dozen Penta TP3s (bought on freaking boxing day at $20/doz! I don't even like TM!). Then I'm in the store the other day, and they're blowing out BB HX Diablo's for $13/doz. Wow, always wanted to try these....

!!!!WHAT!!!!!

OK, let's go from a three-piece urethane ball to a two-piece surlyn ball that don't even look that similar! Then use a POS Dick's Revolution "Feel" just to cap it off.

And would I ever pay $20-25 for another dozen of the Diablos? NO!

Or $35-40 for another dozen of the Penta TP3 (quite the ironic name BTW TM)? NO!

So really, me being on this forum expounding about how "great" a ball is, or the "value" it provides, or "matching the right ball to your game" is all a load of crapola. Really, when it comes down to it:

- I like tour balls cuz they spin nice, and I look successful.

- I only buy tour balls at "fire sale, the-boss-has-gone-crazy, the darn thing is discontinued so you'll never find them again" pricing

- I buy mid tier balls at low-end prices, sometimes.....see line above

- The bargain balls I buy are cheaper than a bucket of balls at the range! For goodness sake, I bought 4 doz Slazzys for like $20 or something stupid like that.

So sorry golf ball forum, we're through. I can't settle down, and wouldn't even do so if you were perfect. Because, although I may like what I see on my tee, what I see on the other guy's tee looks even better.

Especially if it's on sale.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1369172855' post='7079750']
After golf season has returned to the Great White North, I decided to go into the legendary GolfWRX to see what people are saying about this year's crop of golf balls. Urethane Nike this. Srixon Z-something that. Golf Digest spin charts (that's the money shot, baby). Whats hot, and is guaranteed to shave strokes off my game. Then it occurred to me, I'm wasting my life in this forum.

And no, I don't mean that in a judgemental way. See, it's not about you. This forum, you guys, you're all great.

It's about me.

- It is on sale

And looking back over the past five years, I can think of only two dozen balls I've bought in category two (1 doz Srixon AD333, and 1 doz e5). Everything else I've bought because:

a) I want to show how clever I am by buying some cheapie 2-piece at Dick's, then rave about how good it actually is (see my threads on the Slazenger Raw Distance Feel and Maxfli Revolution Spin). Are the balls fine? Yep. Are they two-piece cheapies. Yep.

b) Due to stupid luck, I stumble across a ball that is good for me (ON SALE) and have to share how great it is with everyone, especially as I got it for a great price (countless threads on Zip, Gamer, Maxfli C3, Cally Hex Black, Tx4, FG Tour, etc., etc., etc.). Would I ever buy these balls at full price? Yeah. Right.

c) Enjoy playing a tour ball because I love the spin, and the prestige it affords me on the tee. Can I suck back a 7i 15'? Cha, sure, when pigs grow wings. I am not that good. See the hdcp in my sig. Does it help around the green? For a type A personality (like me) who is aggressive, yes. And we all love telling others what ball we're playing with on the first tee and showing them to each other (enjoy the double entendre). "What you playing?" "ProVx, how about you?" "Ah, Z-Star X, how about Bill?" "Mumble, mumble, Pinnacle". Don't deny it! If you're in this forum because you're:

So I go to the garage to see what I've bought over the winter. Pretty lean year, only two dozen Penta TP3s (bought on freaking boxing day at $20/doz! I don't even like TM!). Then I'm in the store the other day, and they're blowing out BB HX Diablo's for $13/doz. Wow, always wanted to try these....

!!!!WHAT!!!!!

OK, let's go from a three-piece urethane ball to a two-piece surlyn ball that don't even look that similar! Then use a POS Dick's Revolution "Feel" just to cap it off.

Or $35-40 for another dozen of the Penta TP3 (quite the ironic name BTW TM)? NO!

So really, me being on this forum expounding about how "great" a ball is, or the "value" it provides, or "matching the right ball to your game" is all a load of crapola. Really, when it comes down to it:

- I only buy tour balls at "fire sale, the-boss-has-gone-crazy, the darn thing is discontinued so you'll never find them again" pricing
- The bargain balls I buy are cheaper than a bucket of balls at the range! For goodness sake, I bought 4 doz Slazzys for like $20 or something stupid like that.

So sorry golf ball forum, we're through. I can't settle down, and wouldn't even do so if you were perfect. Because, although I may like what I see on my tee, what I see on the other guy's tee looks even better.

[/quote]GOOD ON YA, MATE.

When I logon to GolfWRX for years the first folder I have opened is the Golf Ball Forum so I DO feel your "angst". After having tried and played with better than 75% of the past 2-3 years worth of the newest and bestest balls it has all come down to this: I will try ANYTHING if I think it may help my score and give me some new advantage and I shoot basically the same scores with range balls as I do the top of line tour models (and being old school I refuse to do an actual highly technical and highly analytical ball fitting). Whatever differences there are between the different orbs, I eventually adjust and either hit it higher or lower or with roll-out or with no roll-out or with one or two clubs longer or shorter and at the end of the day.....2 - 7 over par from the white tees (6,000 - 6,400 yard tracks) even if I "hated" the ball I used for that round. Am I that good? In a word: NO !!! Am I more fickle about golf balls than about ANY other thing concerning my golf game? Bet your life on it. Will I ever stop looking for that "perfect ball"? Does Michelle Obama REALLY NEED the largest support staff in the history of First Lady's?

It is thanks to this very forum - this tempest of madness, indecision, and regret - that I am able to comfortably buy one ball and stick with it. I can let the wailing of others ward me from replacing my chosen ball every round with yet another candidate for next round's replacement gauntlet. I can sit to the side and realize, "there but for the grace of Penta, go I."

Of course, I also have two dozen Gamer v2 on the shelf. I just assumed that was a requirement to post here....

LOL great posts guys - keep 'em coming!

Though it is alot easier explaining a dozen golf balls to your spouse then a new set of irons or a new $300 driver......

PS - I enjoyed V1 of the Gamer except it's fragile cover. V2 didn't do it for me. LOL.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

The original post could be written by me. Though I did change out my irons this year (played last set for 5+ years), I fall into the category of golf ball ho. I cannot resist bargain basement sales, especially on premium balls but that can also be said of other categories as well; hence 7 dozen Gamer V2's that haven't been opened. First it was the TP5 practice balls for $15 a dozen. Then I justified getting several dozen Wilson FG Tour blems because you can get them for only $15 per dozen. Decided that Cally Tour IZ were pretty good deal for less than $20 per dozen. Those are the new balls and I didn't list the totals out of embarrassment to me. These figures don't count my purchases from LostGolfBalls.com. Scores are pretty much the same if I play the Gamer V2 or Penta TP5. I do have a son who is on the high school golf team and plays tournaments....he plays out of my stash. I go through 1-2 balls per 18 holes because there is usually at least one bad scuff during the round. My son and I could play out of our "current stash" for at least 2 years. I supposed that I'm set for now but in about 2 weeks I will receive a $25 reward/gift card from Rock Bottom Golf. Have my eyes on the Cally Ammo pack of Hex Black Tour balls for about $23 per dozen if they are still available. My home course does have fast, firm greens so a ball with good greenside spin is helpful. Most of the premium balls perform well for me.....but I'm loyal to a good deal :) One of my regular playing partners is a worse golf ball ho than me......there, I've admitted I have a problem but I'm not going to seek help...at least at this time :)

And as an addendum to my original soul-baring confession let me give you an example of what a TRUE ball ho is capable of.

I admitted to trying any ball that I think may offer my game ANY help. After a great deal of research and analysis I will purchase the ball of the week (often one or two days after my last epic fail/disappointment/dissatisfaction with last week's ball of the week) and the anticipation of putting the new miracle orb into play is almost mind-numbing. Arrival for the Saturday round finds me rushing through the warm-up bucket so I can get to the practice greens(s) for some putting and chipping work to verify that my most recent purchase is indeed the miracle cure for my declining and decrepit middle-aged golf game. Our tee time is called and off I go to discover my NEW game.

Four to five holes into the round and I'm wondering how people could say all of the good things about this ball that they DID say and disgustedly back into the bag they go only to be replaced by some other white, round mistake from one of my previous research endeavors. Being THE true maniacal ball ho, I had purchased a full dozen of this newest cure (as I do every newest cure) and of course I properly mark ALL TWELVE BALLS with my Sharpie thereby rendering them completely useless as trade-fodder for the next chapter so now that I "hate" this ball I must get them out of my bag so[size=4] once I make it home I usually purge my bag of the offending newest and start thinking once again about the next "best ball".[/size]

[size=4]But the most reader entertaining part of this story is how I will find a ball during the round that I had wanted to try or have a ball given to me by a playing partner who claims "you're gonna really like this one" and I put said freebie ball into play and really like what I'm getting from it and as such, make the decision to buy some and give them a REAL test. (At this point I need to digress some to bring this diatribe full circle. My twenty year old son has now discovered that golf "ain't so bad" so he's playing with his cronies and is subsequently going through balls like any 100 shooter will so I'm keeping his bag stocked by purging truly YEARS of my bad ball decisions into his ball pockets. I keep these mistakes in a couple of old staff bags and a couple of plastic containers in the garage so whenever he needs some balls I just rifle though the old stock and toss him some. [/size][size=4]As his ball usage continues to increase I decided to actually go through my storage "locations" and see what is actually left in there that I think would be of benefit to his game.....and now I come back to my original ball ho story that fully explains the state of being out of control.)[/size]

The ball tossed to me by a playing partner during the last round seems to be the ball of choice as I played really well with it so I decide to buy A COUPLE OF SLEEVES to really give them the multiple round on different courses tryout.....but what do I find while searching for some balls for my son to use and lose? YOU KNOW IT !!!!!!! That very same ball (in quantities varying from one sleeve to a full dozen, fully Sharpie marked of course) hidden away in the dark recesses of the old bags and containers having been put there (how long ago?) after I had decided they were not worthy of my game and talents.

So, the true ball ho tries a new ball, dislikes the new ball, tucks the new ball into storage only to "find" one of the same...... and try it....... and like it (weeks or months later)....... only to discover a forgotten personal inventory of the same hated ball from a previous experiment.

The sickness goes so deep and is so broad in its spectrum that we can't even remember what balls we tried and hated.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/11857-notbright/"][color="#353535"]notbright[/color][/url]: Look on the bright side. It could be worse, that could be $400 drivers you're burning through instead.

I sort of think of the golf ball tester as the mid point between being happy with ones equipment and not and burning through masses of clubs. It's sort of like limbo where you can keep ho'ing costs to the minimum before you either stop equipment changes altogether or racket up the club turn over. Half way to being cured or on the path to burn-your-wallet-land.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1369343386' post='7094278']
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/11857-notbright/"][color=#353535]notbright[/color][/url]: Look on the bright side. It could be worse, that could be $400 drivers you're burning through instead.

I sort of think of the golf ball tester as the mid point between being happy with ones equipment and not and burning through masses of clubs. It's sort of like limbo where you can keep ho'ing costs to the minimum before you either stop equipment changes altogether or racket up the club turn over. Half way to being cured or on the path to burn-your-wallet-land.
[/quote]

Actually.........I'm on my fifth driver this year BUT, I buy and trade for used last year (or older) or just discounted models so I manage to keep the total out of pocket expenditures to a less than embarrassing level. Same M.O. with the irons as quite honestly, the last new set of irons I bought that were actually the latest thing out was.......a set of Zing 2's a great many years ago. Every iron set since then (and you would be quite rude and intrusive to my personal golf id in asking me how many dozens of sets there have been) has been demo's or used or something of that ilk: never new and never the latest and greatest. Presently, I am gaming a pristine set of PING G2's (circa 2004) that I stumbled across on "That Auction Site" that looked too good to be true and were my specs. Additional pictures from the seller closed the deal and after the clubs were received and unpackaged I challenged everyone I knew to find just one ball mark or sign of play on any of the irons (3-LW) and none could be found. Don't know how these irons made it through the better part of a decade without being played but they indeed looked right off the rack. [size=4]A five generations old PING driver and a century old (tongue firmly implanted in cheek) set of irons and I haven't been this pleased with my bag in a very long time...........but I digress.[/size]

[size=4]I have the ho-ing sickness: fully and absolutely and completely (standing up now, in front of the entire assembled crowd): "I Am Notbright And I Am A Golf Equipment Junkie". Thank God or The Force or whatever higher power one chooses to believe in that I manage to get my regular fix cheaply via ball and used equipment changes and that my disease is satiated merely by "making the change" and not by the newest and bestest or shiniest or most expensive.[/size]

I think I'm a reverse ball ho. I hate trying anything new, I can't tell the difference between the Pro V and Vx, so I stick to the black numbered one.... If Titleist say everyone should play the Pro V (though of course they have an interest in saying this!) then I'm happy enough.

I've been bad enough with my irons without starting to mess around with balls. I need at least one control.

Notbright I LMAO on your post , thanks for the good laugh. I used to have the same affliction with balls and equipment equally. After 3 years away I know sh*t from shinola about balls. When I hung up my gear The TP Red was my favorite followed closely by the Red LDP although it was a bit too much spin off the wedges for me. Now here I sit where these balls are long since retired and much shallower pockets than once b4. Off to craigslist I go and find a local young man who lives on a course and hooks me up with an assortment of various Pentas and Lethals, as well as a good mixture of Burner varieties for good measure. Hoping for one of them to be a magical fit, but hard to complain if they don't pan out as they were a mere Jackson for 50 balls and even scored a box containing 365 shag balls for a 30 spot to get my sorry game back in some sort of fashion again. If all else fails I will resort to saving the cash for 50 dozen TP Red Reloads to get me through the next year.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1369343386' post='7094278']
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/11857-notbright/"][color=#353535]notbright[/color][/url]: Look on the bright side. It could be worse, that could be $400 drivers you're burning through instead.

[/quote]

Hit the nail cleanly on the head here. Cheap ho'ing via golf balls.

Me, I'm on my 5th set of irons in five years, seventh driver, fourth putter, etc. Mind you, I'm like notbright, and buy and sell older model stuff to keep the cost down. I even squeeze a few extra quarters into my jeans sometimes on deals.

And today I found myself looking at the Volvik ball thread thinking "hmmmmm, I should try those"

Aggggggh! Stay out of the forum! Control yourself! Aggggggh!

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I have tried most of the 3 and 4 piece balls since I started back playing golf in 2008. I quit in the early 90s. I played balata balls back then. I have found that any 3 or 4 piece balls with a urethane cover, well struck by a average golfer, with an average swing speed, is going to go far enough. It will also spin well enough to check. Bottom line. After spending way to much money on balls, for a guy on pension.

Cobra ZL 10.5 Blur
Burner 09 4 thru PW
Cleveland 52 56 58
Sabretooth
Chrome Yellow Speed Regime 1

[quote name='Airmick' timestamp='1369369905' post='7097022']
I have tried most of the 3 and 4 piece balls since I started back playing golf in 2008. I quit in the early 90s. I played balata balls back then. I have found that any 3 or 4 piece balls with a urethane cover, well struck by a average golfer, with an average swing speed, is going to go far enough. It will also spin well enough to check. Bottom line. After spending way to much money on balls, for a guy on pension.
[/quote]

THE VOICE OF TRUE REASON.

Being and old guy and having learned the game with Titleist Balata 90's and Maxfli HT's (OH, what a ball that was) I guess my brain just cannot completely adapt or fully accept that my game ain't what it was back then (and never will be again) and that this old decrepit swing will NEVER hit anything even resembling a balata ball close to 300 yards again as I did back in the day (and with WOOD, mind you).

My original post states the true status of my game re: balls and ball usage and score but I am helpless (at least for now) to change my ways and will plunder forward in my continued search for "that" ball....even though I know it truly does not exist, as a complete single package entity. My regular playing partner (for the better part of twenty years) states it simply as "you just get bored and want to change something" and I refuse to argue his simple point.

I've just plain given up on a good golf ball for my game and play whatever I get get in a mid grade range for a decent deal. My game fluctuates so violently some days I play like a single digit capper and other days it looks like I've never seen a club before.

Until I can have consistency with all my aches and pains and learn a swing that will work with less movement, I'll stick with Duo's, E5's, TP3's on sale, used mint NXT tours, etc. They all play well enough you can't blame the ball and I'm so inconsistent (try going from an 85 on a course rated at 73 one day with 0 penalties to a 110 on a course rated at 66 the next with a dozen lost balls) that the ball really doesn't matter.

I will attempt to stay out of here from now on hahaha.

I also read the golf ball forum almost daily and am with you ScooterMcTavish. I have played about 15 rounds and have tried most of the premium balls (Lethal, B'Stone 330 & 330S, Nike, etc. This happens every year! Now at this point I will return to the ball I have gamed the last 7 years and play it until the snow flies - Pro V1X. Why I torture myself each season reading this forum is beyond me when I know I will come back to my favorite ball every single time.

Testify brothers, and you shall be FREE!

Me, I got no idea what to game tomorrow in a tournament. Maybe I should check out those Wilson Duos I read about in another thread?

NO SCOOTER! STAY AWAY FROM THE FORUM!

Guess I'll spend my cash on a vintage set of Wilson Staff blades I'm ho'ing tomorrow!

Hahahahahaha!

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1369172855' post='7079750']

It's about me.

- It is on sale

!!!!WHAT!!!!!

[/quote]

This is wonderful. Your writing is great. Start a blog if you have other funny insights.

Singed,

Fellow cheap bast@rd.

[size=3][color=#ff0000][b]I'm a business/recreational golfer with a 100 MPH driver swing speed, and a 10 HC.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=3]Ping K15, 9*, Motore F3 70s | [/size][size=3]Titleist 915F, 15*, Blue 70s | [/size]T[size=3]itleist 915H, 18*, Rogue 85Hs [/size][size=3]| [/size]T[size=3]itleist 816H2, 23*, [/size][size=3]Speeder HB8.8[/size]
[size=3]Callaway XR Pro 5-AW, Recoil 110 | [/size][size=3]Ping Glide 54*/SS, 58*/WS | [/size][size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H[/size]
[size=3]Golf Pride CP2 Pro Grips | [/size][size=3]Wilson Duo/Spin | [/size][size=3]Leupold GX-3i[/size]

Thanks dbg75 - I used to publish some writing (in a very small way) and have thought of doing something more serious. But who has time?

For now, we're limited to my pithy comments on WRX.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I'm just starting out and was playing some cheap Dunlop balls and pick-ups. When you spend as much time as I do in the rough, you find more balls than you lose. I then bought some Callaway Warbird Plus on sale, but then discovered the Bridgestone E6 balls filled with magic smoke that reduce side spin. After playing a few rounds with each ball, I now have 9 Warbirds left and just 3 E6's. I even still have 20 of the Dunlop balls out of 24 purchased.

This is no doubt due to buying the 2012 version E6's on sale rather than paying the extra for the 2013 version with new magic smoke formula. The dilemma I now face is whether to rush out and buy the 2013 E6's or poke myself in the eye with a rusty shaft. I'm leaning towards the poke.

• 11 months later...

This thread deserved to be brought back from the dead.

And in the offseason, I added:
1 Doz Z Star SL ($30)
1 Doz 20XI-S ($25)
1 Doz Top Flite Tour ($20)

And in an attempt to try cheapie balls:
1 Doz Noodle Distance ($9.99)
1 Doz Snake Eyes SDF ($6.99)
1 Doz Nitro Distance ($3.50)
15 pk Ram FX Tour Spin ($8.49)
18 pk Tommy Armour EVO Soft ($9.99)

Will any of these make my game better? Probably not. But most are yellow which makes them easy to find.

Think I could go without buying balls for three years now......

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Of course they will make your game better---just read the advertisments. I am also a club and ball ho---I'm not ashamed to admit it. Having tried almost every ball---79 years old and convinced that I can play a Pro V1x or Pro V1, because Titleist tells me that the ball doesn't know my handicap--however, what they fail to mention is that the ball is very aware of my swing speed. This year, I have tried at least 6 new offerings and I finally tried the new Callaway Super Soft. Short answer, I like it a lot and at $19 a dozen, I really like it (lot of water on my home course). Try this ball maybe it will fit.

I commented a year ago and my comment is much the same again... I torture myself reading all the OPs on golf balls and then buy three get one free Pro V1Xs and play them again - I can still swing $36 a dozen for the Pro V1Xs.

Then again, I probably shouldn't be on this site because I don't like to change equipment or balls very much.

Why do we come to this site?

I think the WRX Equipment forum is the #1 cause of dissatisfaction in addicted golfers.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Thx for the post...we are all guilty, to a certain degree, thinkng that the next club, ball, etc. is going to be magic, when in reality technique is where it's at.

I've ho'd so much gear and talked myself into thinking that club x or ball x was the best I've played, when in reality I simply had a good ball striking round, and that's why club x and ball x performed.

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1400077209' post='9293151']
Why do we come to this site?

I think the WRX Equipment forum is the #1 cause of dissatisfaction in addicted golfers.
[/quote]I agree! I was perfectly content with the equipment and ball that I played with until I discovered these forums. My handicap is 5 or 6 and hasn't moved in 30 years - I'm 52 and asked my pro how much better I could really get, he said if I could practice my short game an hour or two a day then maybe I could save a couple of putts and get down to a 3 or 4. When I get a couple of hours I would rather play 9 than practice. My point being he didn't say one thing about my equipment or new clubs or balls improving my game!!!

Each year the equipment companies give us new and improved hope and then we buy that hope, but that hope has never lowered my handicap.

ode1 and Hat Trick......

But we can't stop looking!

Because there is that magic ball out there that has the feel and performance we want, and it will be perfectly suited to our stroke, including how much back and sidespin we put on the ball, plus the conditions of our home course greens.

I am positive it is out there. It is. Totally!

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I started playing golf when I was 40, and with the exception of a brief affair with the Strata Tour Straight, up until a few years ago my golf ball always said Titleist, but it was never the top of the line (DT90, NXT, So-Lo, etc.). After losing a sleeve of NXT Tours on 2 holes, I began wondering if I had to play these fairly expensive but not premium golf balls. I saw the Gamer V2's at Dicks and had heard that they were good balls and gave them a try. I was blown away that they were longer and held the green better than my NXTs! I happened to wander on this site less than a year ago and have learned about some great golf balls from a perspective of a variety of skill levels. I play the Gamer Tours and have experimented with a number of urethene balls last year and I have saved a couple of strokes/round on my approach and short game. As an 18 I never felt I was good enough for a ball with some spin, but the opinions here and my experimentation have shown me that I can use them to my advantage.

This is the first forum I check on this site and I intend to keep doing so!